Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,047 members, 7,807,140 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:11 AM

Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road (39720 Views)

Ikpeazu Flags Off Reconstruction Of Port-Harcourt Road Aba, An FG Road (Pics) / Port-Harcourt Road, A Major Road In ABA Has Turned To "River Niger" / Julius Berger To End Flooding On Aba-Port Harcourt Road (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by Abagworo(m): 7:13am On Mar 31, 2016
Needless to emphasize on this Road especially Umuapu axis which has been a nightmare since 2012 when the construction firm scraped the Road and abandoned site. Many like me believe the neglect of the road was politically motivated while others believed it was the incompetency of Orubebe then Minister of Niger Delta.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/national-
news/178574-okorocha-laments-bad-state-of-owerri-
port-harcourt-road

http://thenationonlineng.net/death-trap-called-port-harcourt-owerri-road/

http://www.elombah.com/index.php/gallery/1382-photo-gallery-my-long-journey-from-port-harcourt-to-owerri

http://nannewsnigeria.com/motorists-decry-deplorable-state-port-harcourt-owerri-road

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by Abagworo(m): 7:23am On Mar 31, 2016
Fast foward to March 2016 and you will appreciate the gains of change. It is now virtually a smooth ride from Port Harcourt to Owerri with a mere 200 metres of little shake at Imo/Rivers boundary. Even the interior village Roads of Umuapu are not left out as almost all the connecting roads which were hitherto earth roads have now been tarred and marked. Both the State and FG have given those who ply that route a cause to smile after 4 years of horror.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by SamuelAnyawu(m): 7:27am On Mar 31, 2016
Hmmmmm....

Lips Sealed..........

Nice One my Brother and Friend Rochas. But this wouldn't stop us from sending you and your stooge out in 2019

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by chudionu58(f): 7:36am On Mar 31, 2016
Abagworo:
Fast foward to March 2016 and you will appreciate the gains of change. It is now virtually a smooth ride from Port Harcourt to Owerri with a mere 200 metres of little shake at Imo/Rivers boundary. Even the interior village Roads of Umuapu are not left out as almost all the connecting roads which were hitherto earth roads have now been tarred and marked. Both the State and FG have given those who ply that route a cause to smile after 4 years of horror.
Terrible propagandist!
1. Can you please tell us which budget implementation led to it? 2015 or 2016??
2. Tell us the specific roles played by your incomprehensibly irresponsible IMO state government on that road...
Till then, we'll take you as shameless glory hunter.

201 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by Abagworo(m): 7:45am On Mar 31, 2016
chudionu58:
Terrible propagandist!
2. Tell us the specific roles played by your incomprehensibly irresponsible IMO state government on that road...

Its not about arguments and media battke but about reality. Between 2012 and 2015 people suffered untold hardship on that road. The alternative which runs through interior of Umuapu was equally bad with community boys mounting road blocks and obtaining from motorists. The Imo State Government has constructed those interior village roads which most motorists now use with attendant increased commercial activities.

31 Likes

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by epistleNow(m): 7:45am On Mar 31, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:
Hmmmmm....

Lips Sealed..........

Thou should not have your lips sealed on day of free speech.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by Abagworo(m): 7:49am On Mar 31, 2016
Let me clarify that the road is still under construction and some parts are even blocked from public use but the smooth ride was made possible by tarring one side of the dual carriageway complemented by State roads.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by Nwaoguta(m): 7:50am On Mar 31, 2016
kudos to goodluck Jonathan.

77 Likes 1 Share

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by BiafraBushBoy(m): 7:55am On Mar 31, 2016
Nwaoguta:

Yeap, Kudos to him...

But one thing I sure.... He will never rule us again!!

65 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by Abagworo(m): 7:57am On Mar 31, 2016
Nwaoguta:
Coward igbola?

9 Likes

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by chiefobdk(m): 7:57am On Mar 31, 2016
abagworo the propagandist.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by Abagworo(m): 8:01am On Mar 31, 2016
chiefobdk:
abagworo the propagandist.
Tell that to those who ply that route and you'll be lynched.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by chudionu58(f): 8:12am On Mar 31, 2016
Abagworo:

Its not about arguments and media battke but about reality. Between 2012 and 2015 people suffered untold hardship on that road. The alternative which runs through interior of Umuapu was equally bad with community boys mounting road blocks and obtaining from motorists. The Imo State Government has constructed those interior village roads which most motorists now use with attendant increased commercial activities.
How does that inspire some propaganda? This is a road that should have being built since years for the good people of Ohaji, but the irresponsible IMSG abandoned it for years and was castigating Orubebe and Jonathan?? Now you want us to start clapping for him and then shower praises on Buhari for completing Jonathan's project with 2015 budget? You shot yourself on the foot, crass propagandist.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 8:18am On Mar 31, 2016
Abagworo:

Tell that to those who ply that route and you'll be lynched.
How are we sure its d same road ure showing? Which budget was d road budgeted for if its a Federal Road?

3 Likes

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by nigerianvenom(m): 8:21am On Mar 31, 2016
Abagworo:
Let me clarify that the road is still under construction and some parts are even blocked from public use but the smooth ride was made possible by tarring one side of the dual carriageway complemented by State roads.

And who awarded d road contract? Is it ur Rochas or ur buhari? Just one more lie from u

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by Balkan(m): 8:31am On Mar 31, 2016
Abagworo:
you are what we call a dreg of humanity. We need a DNA test on this fellow to determine his paternity. This guy has South West blood in him. You think you can destroy and deceive IMO people with this propaganda from the waste.

Rochas is bad market

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by dechriscool(m): 9:12am On Mar 31, 2016
Whoever came up with this deception is aim at deceit,the usual Apc antics.I am a regular user of that road when plying portharcourt to owerri.GEJ awarded the contract of that road construction
Rochas has no hand in the construction of any part of that road.The work on that road started before 2015 election,that was aim at wooing the south east to vote for GeJ.The road construction was done in parts.The construction started from the concord axis of owerri and got halted at Ohaji almost after the imo state polytechnic.The other axis of the road was under demolition of few houses for expansion of that road.THe only governor that contributed a little to that road construction was Rotimi Amechi of Rivers State.He constructed the Elele axis down to some kilometres before umuapu.So stop giving Gej project to Apc government.This was one of the Gej project in the south east,Buhari refused to review.Another Gej project is the Umuahia road of portharcourt,Aba,enuguroad.

46 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by chudionu58(f): 10:56am On Mar 31, 2016
dechriscool:
Whoever came up with this deception is aim at deceit,the usual Apc antics.I am a regular user of that road when plying portharcourt to owerri.GEJ awarded the contract of that road construction
Rochas has no hand in the construction of any part of that road.The work on that road started before 2015 election,that was aim at wooing the south east to vote for GeJ.The road construction was done in parts.The construction started from the concord axis of owerri and got halted at Ohaji almost after the imo state polytechnic.The other axis of the road was under demolition of few houses for expansion of that road.THe only governor that contributed a little to that road construction was Rotimi Amechi of Rivers State.He constructed the Elele axis down to some kilometres before umuapu.So stop giving Gej project to Apc government.This was one of the Gej project in the south east,Buhari refused to review.Another Gej project is the Umuahia road of portharcourt,Aba,enuguroad.
Correct, Setraco and the Arabs are doing a good job albeit slowly.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by Abagworo(m): 11:05am On Mar 31, 2016
dechriscool:

I anticipated this claim even when y'all heaped every blame on that road to Rochas Okorocha. I wrote then that it was abandoned because of Okorocha's political stand and that if power changes hands work would resume on that road. Today I am happy being vindicated. I guess if Buhari constructs 2nd Niger bridge you will equally attribute it to the ineffectual buffoon. Ride on sir.

Finally Umuapu internal village roads as shown below were constructed by Rochas Okorocha led Imo Government. Work started there late 2015 and it was completed last month. It is now used as alternative route to avoid the bad part of Port Harcourt/Owerri expressway.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by asha80(m): 11:23am On Mar 31, 2016
Abagworo:

I anticipated this claim even when y'all heaped every blame on that road to Rochas Okorocha. I wrote then that it was abandoned because of Okorocha's political stand and that if power changes hands work would resume on that road. Today I am happy being vindicated. I guess if Buhari constructs 2nd Niger bridge you will equally attribute it to the ineffectual buffoon. Ride on sir.

Finally Umuapu internal village roads as shown below were constructed by Rochas Okorocha led Imo Government. Work started there late 2015 and it was completed last month. It is now used as alternative route to avoid the bad part of Port Harcourt/Owerri expressway.
is arab contractors fully back on that owerri ph road?
Hope they know that rd ought to be dualized all the way to assumpta cathedral junction

1 Like

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by DelGardo: 11:23am On Mar 31, 2016
This is good.

It appears the Arab Contractors, who were toying with the job under Uncle IB, were read a riot act by this administration hence their seriousness to remediate that very bad stretch.

Thumbs up to Okorocha for fixing the village road too.

Change!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by Abagworo(m): 11:27am On Mar 31, 2016
Even the blindest of men know how this road was from 2012 to 2015. At a stage people travelled to Owerri via Aba.

http://venturesafrica.com/features/when-rain-puts-asunder-the-journey-from-owerri-to-port-harcourt/

http://www.timepostng.com/2015/09/photos-checkout-deplorable-condition-of.html?m=1

A section of the highway is so bad that
motorists use the pathway of the local
community as a bypass. The youths of the
community, seeing a business opportunity,
erect checkpoints at every bend where they
stop the vehicles to ask the drivers if he “has
anything for the boys”. When the commercial
bus that I am in gets to the first checkpoint,
the driver opens a little cabinet in his
dashboard and brings out about ten pieces of
fifty naira notes. He gives two of the notes to
one of the boys who approach his window
the others lift up the log of wood which they
used to block the path. The same happens at
every check point until the driver runs out of
his stack of fifty naira notes. At the next stop
he looks around his dashboard and sees a 20
naira note, gives the leader of the group—a
17 year-old looking boy—and pleads with
him that it’s all he’s got. The boy nods to his
fellows to lift the barricade, and they do. At
the next stop, the driver tries to plead with
the boys that he no longer has any money on
him, but his pleas fall on deaf ears as they
insist that he must “find them something” to
pass. Anyanwu gives the driver a 100 naira
note to give them and they finally give way.
“This is one of the reasons why I won’t be
travelling by this road any time soon,
Anyanwu said in frustration. “If I could I
won’t”, the driver responded in a resigned
tone. “It’s how I feed my family. “The
problem now is that I am spending too much
just to keep this vehicle running,” he added,
tapping his steering. “By the time I finish
spending money on vehicle maintenance and
settling these boys every time I pass here, not
mentioning the normal payments that I have
to make at the park, there’s little [money] left
with me even though we raised the fare[from
500 naira to 1000 naira]. I asked the driver
why he hadn’t contemplated changing his
route and he said he had, but backed away
from the idea because most other interstate
roads in the Southeast were just as bad.
“Have you passed through Onitsha-Enugu
road?” He asked me, referring to the federal
highway connecting the largest commercial
city of the southeast to the de-facto regional
base of corporate firms and federal agencies.
I affirmed that I have journeyed through the
road and have also seen how very similar it
was to the one we were currently driving
through.

“Why isn’t the government doing something
about these roads?” I ask, looking at
Anyanwu and then the driver. Both remain
quiet for a moment before Anyanwu says he
thinks “they [the government] can’t build or
repair roads when it’s raining so frequently.”
“That’s what we heard last raining season,
and the raining season before that,” the
driver cuts in. “It is what they always say, yet
when dry season comes the highest they do is
pour sand or just patch some potholes.”
“Well, it’s not even because of them that I am
praying for dry season,” he continues.
Whether they do something or not the road
will get better when the rains stop.”

1 Like

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by Abagworo(m): 11:46am On Mar 31, 2016
asha80:
is arab contractors fully back on that owerri ph road?
Hope they know that rd ought to be dualized all the way to assumpta cathedral junction

The plan is 8 lane within the urbanised area. It seems Uguru is behind the sudden resumption of work on the road after he discovered the fraud therein.

http://www.thereflector.com.ng/component/k2/2617-shocker-jonathan-approves-n500m-per-km-on-owerri-port-harcourt-express-road

The minister of Niger Delta, Pastor Useni Uguru
Useni yesterday became furious with the
contractor handling Owerri/Portharcourt road,
ARAB CONTRACTOR, on discovering that the
road was contracted between the contractor and
Jonathan's administration with the total sum of
500 million naira per kilometre.
The minister who could not hide his feelings
over the outrageous amount on the contract,
lashed out on the immediate past administration
over what he described as a total reap-off on
the country.

Inspecting the road project yesterday,
accompanied with his junior colleague minister,
pastor Uguru told the contractor to expedite
action over the project without further delay.
Those who were with them for the road
inspection were the Deputy Chief of Staff
Operations, government house Owerri, Engr.
Kingsley Chima Uju, some directors in the
ministry of Niger Delta affairs, among others.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by asha80(m): 11:58am On Mar 31, 2016
Abagworo:

The plan is 8 lane within the urbanised area. It seems Uguru is behind the sudden resumption of work on the road after he discovered the fraud therein.

http://www.thereflector.com.ng/component/k2/2617-shocker-jonathan-approves-n500m-per-km-on-owerri-port-harcourt-express-road

The minister of Niger Delta, Pastor Useni Uguru
Useni yesterday became furious with the
contractor handling Owerri/Portharcourt road,
ARAB CONTRACTOR, on discovering that the
road was contracted between the contractor and
Jonathan's administration with the total sum of
500 million naira per kilometre.
The minister who could not hide his feelings
over the outrageous amount on the contract,
lashed out on the immediate past administration
over what he described as a total reap-off on
the country.

Inspecting the road project yesterday,
accompanied with his junior colleague minister,
pastor Uguru told the contractor to expedite
action over the project without further delay.
Those who were with them for the road
inspection were the Deputy Chief of Staff
Operations, government house Owerri, Engr.
Kingsley Chima Uju, some directors in the
ministry of Niger Delta affairs, among others.
I have seen in different fora where it is said to build a standard one km rd in Nigeria is 250m naira...now if we realise this is a dual way then 500m per km might not be over the top..however the contractor doing the work according to specification becomes another issue

I dont also see anywhere in that write up that it is specified that it would be 8 lanes in urban area...even if that is true a lot of demolitions have to be made

3 Likes

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by Abagworo(m): 12:04pm On Mar 31, 2016
asha80:
I have seen in different fora where it is said to build a standard one km rd in Nigeria is 250m naira...now if we realise this is a dual way then 500m per km might not be over the top..however the contractor doing the work according to specification becomes another issue

At 250million per km then only Akwa Ibom and Rivers can construct Roads. How did Imo construct its roads going by the huge recurrent expenditure visa vis low income? I think 300million per km is good for that quality of highway.

1 Like

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by asha80(m): 12:10pm On Mar 31, 2016
Abagworo:

At 250million per km then only Akwa Ibom and Rivers can construct Roads. How did Imo construct its roads going by the huge recurrent expenditure visa vis low income? I think 300million per km is good for that quality of highway.
you and i know quality of roads rochas constructed in Imo are suspect so make we no go there

2 Likes

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by Abagworo(m): 12:10pm On Mar 31, 2016
http://www.channelstv.com/tag/owerri-port-harcourt-road/
Niger Delta Minister Visits Imo, Decries Rate Of Project Abandonment
The Minister disclosed this during his visit to the Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha, at the Government House in Owerri, the Imo State capital. Mr Uguru expressed displeasure over the slow pace of work on some Federal Government projects in the state, especially the bad state of Owerri-Port Harcourt expressway way by Umuapu community and the total neglect of the low-cost housing project in Ohaji Egbema Local Government Area of the state.

At the Owerri-Port Harcourt road by Umuapu, the Minister said that he would not sign any certificate of payment with regards to the road until a satisfactory job was done. He also promised to ensure that Imo State enjoys the benefits of being one of the Niger Delta states.

In response, the Imo State Governor said that over the years, especially throughout the last administration at the centre, no feasible project had been initiated or commissioned by the Federal Government through the Ministry of Niger Delta affairs.

After the meeting, the team from the Ministry of Niger Delta, led by the Minister, accompanied by the Managing Director of the Imo State Oil Producing Development Commission (ISOPADEC) visited some projects in the state.

1 Like

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by Abagworo(m): 12:13pm On Mar 31, 2016
asha80:
you and i know quality of roads rochas constructed in Imo are suspect so make we no go there

It is no suspect as I have used them recently and found them good. I think they are low budget roads but commensurate with the amount spent which makes it better than over spending and wastage of scarce resources.

1 Like

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by KenOne: 12:37pm On Mar 31, 2016
chudionu58:
Terrible propagandist!
Mr know it all in Rivers Wike is working since he was sworn in like you guys claimed but you people did not ask with whose budget but in the case of Buhari you people are asking whose budget. For 5yrs of GEJ this Owerri PH road was a disaster untill late last year this government start working on the road with full force I was surprise when I passed that road 3weeks ago. PDP and its wailing wailers from today I give u another name as Goofy Grin.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by obailala(m): 12:46pm On Mar 31, 2016
dechriscool:
GEJ awarded the road and it was built in 2016?... By the way, it was even Yaradua who first awarded the contract for that road. But all through Yaradua's time and all through GEJ's 5 years, commuters have suffered horribly on the road and now it suddenly is GEJ's award when the road is built in late 2015/2016?.... I suppose the internal city roads which serves as a detour was also built by your Jona right?

How could humans deceive themselves so badly like this?... What sort of evil deceit is this?

Very soon the Onitsha-Enugu road would be fixed and someone would also claim that GEJ awarded the contract. So also the PH-Enugu road, someone would also claim GEJ awarded the contract and therefore it is GEJ's road. Tufiakwa!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by nonsom(m): 12:59pm On Mar 31, 2016
chudionu58:
Terrible propagandist!
so are aware of that, but you was blaming apc government because of how bad the road was as at last year
Re: Good Change Hits Owerri/port Harcourt Road by looseweight: 2:42pm On Mar 31, 2016
Good

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Charly Boy: "Any Politician Or Pastor That Owns A Private Jet Is A Bastard" / Oby Ezekwesili Withdraws From Presidential Race, Insists On Coalition / Danjuma Shiddi Usman Cultural Regalia To Inauguration Of House Of Representative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.