Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,237 members, 7,807,788 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:20 PM

The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) (1871 Views)

Agent Peter - Season 1: RACHEL(The Beginning) / DARK MYSTERIES: SEASON 1 / S€X Story : Heart Code – Season 1 – Episode 1 – 30 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 1:49pm On Mar 31, 2016
This is an Editorial Reality-series of a Nigerian youth going through the hassles of modern day society; an era of unemployment, scarcity, and hardship in present day Nigeria.

Starts April 2nd

New Episodes every Saturdays by 8am

Join in!

www.justiceokwudike.com/thehustleseries
Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 8:02am On Apr 02, 2016
THE NIGERIAN GRADUATE AND THE HUSTLE | S1E1

Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 8:03am On Apr 02, 2016
SEASON 1, EPISODE 1: ‘Passing Out Parade’

*Several years ago, I gained admission into one of the Nigerian universities at the age of 16. So determined I was; to finish early with a good grade and at the age of 20, I graduated with a 4.22 CGPA!

I had almost everything I wanted…at least, for an average person, I was unstoppable and ready to conquer the world but little did I know that for a graduate here in Nigeria, life truly begins after your youth service. I was in for a massive shock.

My name is Justice and this is my story…*

1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 8:05am On Apr 02, 2016
*Today is my NYSC P.O.P. I am very excited that the end of a stressful one-year program is finally here. No more C.D.S…no more P.P.A attendance marking and sadly, no more monthly allowance*

I hopped on a bike from my house to the bus-stop to board a bus to the venue of my certificate collection, although we are not expecting to do a proper parade due to insurgency-related reasons, everyone will be excited to meet-up again this morning, probably for the last time.

On getting to the venue, an army barrack it happened to be, soldiers everywhere who would query you if you turned your neck in an unusual rotation, I and other arriving corpers approached one of the entrances where we were welcomed by soldiers who thoroughly searched us to make sure we were not in possession of any explosives.

1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 8:06am On Apr 02, 2016
“Wetin you carry?” one inquired from me as it got to my turn.
“Oga, it’s just my bag,” I replied.
“Wetin dey inside the bag?”
“It’s just books…and envelope,” I answered again.
“You sure say no be bomb dey inside the book?” he demanded to know and moved to search down to the pages to confirm before letting me through.

Entering into the venue, everyone was making phone calls, trying to know the exact spot on the large venue their friends were. I reached for my phone in my khaki trousers but couldn’t find it; I checked the bag I had come with, not there. I dug into the other endless pockets of the NYSC uniform, still not there! Just then, I sighted an ex-course

Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 8:08am On Apr 02, 2016
“JT…!!” Buchi called out.
“Buchi!” I laughed, happy to see someone I know amongst the large crowd.
“Justice how far, are you just entering?”
“Buchi, my phone is missing!” I let him know.
Not until I dialed my number from Buchi’s phone did I realize that my phone was “officially” stolen when it said “…number switched off.”
It must have fallen off while I was on the fast-moving bike or must have dropped while I was in the bus.

*My phone can’t be missing right now, P.O.P is supposed to be like a fun day not a ‘stress-day’. Using my last ‘allowee’ to replace a missing phone isn’t how I planned to end my service; certainly not. This is a phone I bought a while back with my previous month’s allowance. I’m not going to let it bother me, I’ll just move on with the day’s event*

Standing by, I got a tap and when I quickly turned around, it was Blessing. Blessing is a friend of mine from P.P.A. Just then, I recalled she intended speaking to me on this day, on a somewhat pressing issue.
“Oh! So sorry Blessing, I was supposed to call you but my phone got missing on my way here.” I let her know as well.
“Ah!! Sorry about that, maybe you forgot it at home, check when you get back.” She said in sympathy.
“…I will…but am sure I carried it along. So you wanted to talk to me.” I reminded her.

We moved aside as Blessing spoke to me concerning her plans after collecting her certificate. She told me how she intends going into a business venture and how she also intends getting married soon to a long-time friend she’s been dating but recently she is confused as a new suitor has come on-board and this new suitor seems to be more serious about marrying her and has even gone further to make his plans known to her parents and this has left her in a bit of an undeciding state.

I felt trusted as someone I met during our one year of service could open up to me about such a sensitive matter. I only advised her to go for the suitor who she knows and trusts better and one who supports her future plans and aspirations.

Collection of certificates had commenced and we all were in numerous lengthy queues. Corpers were chatting away and some took selfies. A female corper in front of me went on and on day-dreaming about how she wishes to get a phone call the very next morning informing her to resume work at Shell or a top company (without any application, test or interview)
After several hours under the scorching sun, it got to my turn.

*Finally! I just want to pick up this up this certificate and leave this premises*

Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 8:11am On Apr 02, 2016
I presented my ID and the certificate issuer checked through the remaining certificates and said the most terrifying thing.
“Your certificate is not here…”
“Wait, what?!”
“I said your certificate is not here! Check that other man there.” Pointing to another issuer.

* Okay, am already having a bad day with the thought of my missing phone and lost contacts, there is no way my certificate is missing too*

I walked to the other issuer and presented my ID, my heart raced as he checked through, flipping one certificate after another.
“Justice?” He asked.
“Yes! Justice (… Jesus Christ!)” i answered in fear and relief.
He slipped out my certificate from the remaining few and handed it over to me.

*Phew! It would have been frustrating if my certificate was actually missing, where would I have started from? Now, I just want to go home and think of how to replace my missing phone…I’ve had enough for one day*

I inserted my certificate into a large brown envelope. I placed the large brown envelope into a thick folder and put the thick folder into my bag- zipped and buckled, I guided my bag with all of my strength as I made my way home.

And now, the hustle begins…

On the next episode of…

The Nigerian Graduate & The Hustle.

Episode 2: ‘Scammers’ Prey’

My phone beeped with a text message and it was an interview for a graduate position at a manufacturing company.
“…come with your certificate and CV”
*…I have not the slightest idea what this business idea is all about but let’s see…*
“You must buy product worth of a minimum of 20,000naira”
*…I really can’t continue like this*
Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 1:52pm On Apr 09, 2016
[url=justiceokwudike.com/2016/04/09/the-nigerian-graduate-and-the-hustle-l-s1e2/]THE NIGERIAN GRADUATE AND THE HUSTLE[/url]

SEASON 1, EPISODE 2: 'Scammers' Prey'
Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 1:53pm On Apr 09, 2016
I had included my NYSC discharge certificate number on my CV, which for any graduate, is a big deal but a bigger deal is getting a good job right after.

I had contacted few family friends and relatives who promised to get me a job placement as soon I rounded up with my youths service but at this point, nothing seems coming forth. I applied to few vacancies in high hopes of getting a job soon.

One afternoon, my phone beeped with a text message and it was an interview for a graduate position at a new manufacturing company, included in this message was a number to call and with no hesitation, I dialed to find out more about this job.
“Hello, good day.” I called.
“Good day, how can I help you?” A lady responded from the other side.
“Is this Mrs. Jessica?” I inquired.
“Yes, this is Mrs. Jessica”.
“Okay, I got a text message for a job interview and was told to call this number.”
“Oh yes, that is true, what is your degree?”
“I have B.sc degree, ma.” I replied.
“Okay, you will come with that your degree certificate and your CV too, is that okay?”
“Um…where exactly? You didn’t include your location in the text message.”
“Just come to Oshodi, when you get to the bridge, just call me and I will send someone to come and pick you up”
“Okay, thank you.” I ended the call not sure of the genuineness of the job or the lady even.

* This really has to be a scam, meeting my potential employer under a bridge, is so not how I thought I would get an employment. I would have given it a try if it were under some other bridge but Oshodi bridge? not a chance!*

I ignored the text message knowing fully well it has to be a scam or worse, an arrangement by kidnappers or ritualists going by the things we hear in the news today. I contacted my people again to see if anything good was in the works but their response were that companies are not recruiting at the time. It’s several months after service and at this point, I am slowly beginning to run out of patience.
Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 1:54pm On Apr 09, 2016
Alongside job hunting, I ran a small-scale men’s clothing line.

*So I started a men’s clothing line; JT Class men’s fashion, right after my graduation and it has been running through my wait for NYSC till this time. Running a clothing line can be tedious but interesting as well. I am involved in the entire production process except for the actual sewing.

First, I draw sketch-designs for individual pieces that makes up the collection while relying on inspiration and trends, I then transfer these designs to my computer where I colour them to see what there would actually look like in real life. Here also, I make necessary adjustments to parts of the outfits.

I show my designs to my designer who goes shopping to purchase fabrics that works best for my designs after which he sews them together and once the collection is ready, I’ll arrange with my photographer to do a photo shoot of the collection where I’ll be a model alongside another male model.

I show the result pictures of my collection to potential customers and from here, sales commence*

Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 1:57pm On Apr 09, 2016
A well-known woman to the family approached me on a certain weekend and said she wants to introduce me to a very lucrative business and would like to sit down and discuss with me.

* I have not the slightest clue what this idea is all about and I am not that much interested but let’s see…*

“You see, from this business, you will make so much money, you can even be given a bonus to travel to France if you do very well”, she hinted.
This is too good to be true, I thought to myself. Most people work their butts off and don’t even get a vacation, not even to Cotonou, talk more of France. Curious, I inquired to know more about this business and she opened up a bit, stating that it was about selling medical products but she insisted giving any more information till she comes over to my house with two other of her business partners, then, we would discuss in details.

* The only reason I am giving this lady a chance is because she is more or less a family friend and she already hinted my mum about coming over to the house to discuss with me*

I stopped by at my cloth-makers workshop to pick up some new clothing samples so I can show to few new customers. The customers I intended meeting today are unavailable. I made my way to one of the banks close-by to see if I could get any luck selling some of my cloths. I entered into the banking hall and sat at the waiting area until it was close of business before approaching the manager after sighting him a little less occupied.
“Good afternoon Sir,” I greeted after I knocked and made my way into his office.
“Good afternoon, how can I help you?”
“Sir, I have some clothes here from my clothing line that I would like you to check out,” I said as I gave him a glance through my look-book.
“Hm! For now, no, I don’t want to buy anything for now, I have some other things I am yet to pay for”
“…but I can permit you to talk to any other staff in the building, that is how I can help you”, he added, trying to encourage me.

I moved back to the banking hall but the other staff who were bank tellers and judging from their faces, they were in no mood for making purchases as they were striving to round up transactions for the day.

*Recently, my clothing business has not been going well, having to bring my goods to customers’ own location creates room for credit sales, they’d be like, “come back later, we’ll pay you”, and me not getting cash-in hinders further production. I really can’t continue like this*

Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 1:59pm On Apr 09, 2016
^ My Family's House ^

This afternoon, I will be waiting for my guests and hear their business offer. There’s a knock at the door and it’s my expected guests. The woman came with a lady and a young man- her business partners most likely. We all sat down at the sitting room and it was time to hear what they had to say. The accompanying lady started off, talking about various illnesses and how their medical products could cure just all of them. At several points, the young man, who sounded like he had a metal spring in his throat, would chip in some additional information and while they spoke, I occasionally stole a glance at them from head to toe trying to tell if these people are actually well-to-do and actually flourishing in their trade.

* Am not sure about these people, they look a little scruffy like they themselves need some of the medical products they sell!*

The lady kept going on and on until I requested to know what it required to be part of their business, hoping at this junction, I would find some inconveniences and make that a reason not to partake so they can leave already.
“So what do I need to do to start this business?” i asked.
“…you will purchase some products and re-sell them, and that is how will make profit for yourself and the more you sell, the more you will grow in the business”, she said.
“So how much of these products exactly, do I need to buy?” I adjusted in discomfort.
“…first of all, you will need to buy products worth at least 22,000naira”, she said as she slightly looked at another direction.

*Are you kidding me? 22,000naira to buy medical products?! Where am I supposed to get that money from? My clothing business has not been doing well; I can’t come up with such amount. This is just the perfect excuse to sign out of this business and tell them to leave*

“Ah! 22,000naira?!” I exclaimed.
“This money covers your registering also, so you don’t need to pay any money for registration”, she persuaded.
“I don’t have that kind of money now, I have been unemployed for a while now, please, I won’t be doing this business.” I clearly told them so they could just leave.
“Okay, give us products of 22,000naira, I will pay for him.” my elder sister who has been listening to our conversation all this while stepped in.
“I will pay for him so he can start the business”, she added.

* What?! She didn’t just agree to pay this money.What is this girl doing? I was just about to tell them that I’m not interested and talk them to leaving and she already starts a business deal??*

I muted for few seconds and signaled her to step out so I could talk to her while I walked away from the sitting room.
“What are you doing? Am not interested in this business!” I told her trying not to sound angry.
“Don’t worry, it is a good business, you may be lucky to make much sales and grow in the business, at least, you can be doing that while waiting for a job.” she said.
“Just know that you’ll be the one selling the drugs because I don’t know anyone who’s going to buy those drugs from me.” I hinted her as we both moved back into the sitting room.
Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 2:00pm On Apr 09, 2016
Several days later.

We got the first batch of drugs which was meant for our own consumption according to the supplier, we are to (personally) experience the “wonders” of these herbal drugs before we can tell others about it, and by the following week, we purchased over twice the initial amount to start sales. We succeeded in selling all of the products in this new batch, my sister doing most of the selling but by the next few weeks, no one was willing to buy more products and we had no one else to sell to. Those we sold the ‘slimming down’ herbal products to showed no sign of a pound shed so it was hard to convince them to make further purchases.

Weeks past and we didn’t request for any other product, we have made just little to no profit selling these products so far and really, there was no point of it all.
So what do we do know? I asked my sister one afternoon.
“I don’t know o, this business sef”
“I think I told you it wasn’t a good idea in the first place.” I happily reminded her.
“I just wanted to help you to get something doing”, “but wait o” she added “the medicine you tried from the first purchase, did you notice any effect in your body?”

We both laughed hard, we knew it was all a sham.
Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 2:02pm On Apr 09, 2016
Next time on…
THE NIGERIAN GRADUATE AND THE HUSTLE
…I am starting to run into debts *…this had better be a good news regarding employment* *Running a master’s degree isn’t in the plans for me right now…* *…bringing up the issue could cause a fight*
Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by Santi222(m): 12:37am On Apr 17, 2016
OP, come continue na..... Gud tale...
Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 5:16am On Apr 17, 2016
Due to Internet problems, Episode 3 could not be posted last Saturday.
THE NIGERIAN GRADUATE AND THE HUSTLE (SEASON 1) continues April 23.
Thank you for reading.
Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 5:18am On Apr 17, 2016
Santi222:

Thank you very much Santi222 for following this thread.

THE NIGERIAN GRADUATE AND THE HUSTLE (SEASON 1) continues April 23 with Episode 3: 'Merry Christmas but not-so-happy unemployment'
Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 5:20am On Apr 17, 2016
Santi222:

THE NIGERIAN GRADUATE AND THE HUSTLE (SEASON 1) continues April 23 with Episode 3: 'Merry Christmas but not-so-happy unemployment'

Full article/photos exclusive to:
url=http://justiceokwudike.com/category/thehustleseries/]www.justiceokwudike.com/thehustleseries[/url]
Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 5:20am On Apr 17, 2016
Santi222:

THE NIGERIAN GRADUATE AND THE HUSTLE (SEASON 1) continues April 23 with Episode 3: 'Merry Christmas and not-so-happy unemployment'

Full article/photos exclusive to:
www.justiceokwudike.com/thehustleseries
Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by Santi222(m): 10:50pm On Apr 17, 2016
E far o....
Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 5:33am On Apr 24, 2016
THE NIGERIAN GRADUATE AND THE HUSTLE
Episode 3: 'Merry Christmas and not-so-happy unemployment'
Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 5:35am On Apr 24, 2016
The ‘Christmas rice’ tastes less delicious when you are unemployed, broke and suffering from anxiety.
It’s December! This is the fun festive month everyone looks forward to; celebrations, parties, decor…lights! food, hampers and all of the sweet things.

I have called several of my contact who promised helping me with a job and they both have similar responses like the last time;
“Companies are not employing at this time, it’s the end of the year”.
I haven’t gotten any positive response from the online applications I submitted, the only few message-back I got were those that stink of scam.

*You know what? I think am just going to call it a year. I’m just going to go with the Christmas flow and not worry about a job for now and start again next year*

Just like most Nigerians, my family takes the Christmas and New Year celebrations quite seriously. My mom would cook large meals and we would invite friends and relatives to come over for lunch and by the end of the day, she would complain of several body aches from the stress of her elaborate cooking and how she hasn’t eaten anything all day (when she is literally surrounded by food) and she will vow not to cook extensively next year. Yeah, right!

It’s past two o’clock on Christmas day. We’ve only had few guests so far. For some reason, it seems the general festive mood this year is a bit calm all over.

Usually when we have visitors, I would prefer to just stay in my room (after I have welcomed them) as long as their reason for visiting does not directly concern me and would only come out when the need to purchase refreshment for these visitors arise. This is when my parents sound super-friendly and call me in sweet tones, “Justiiii-ceeeEEee…” like an opera singer at the peak of performance, I never crack a smile! This time around, I have to make myself available, showing up at the living room every now and then to see if I can get a chance to present my case of unemployment to them. Who knows where the help can come from?
So far, none of the guests have been helpful, neither in connection or information, they are just eating the free rice.

Days after Christmas.
Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 5:37am On Apr 24, 2016
It’s a new day. I’ve gotten up to check my messages and e-mails to see if any of the companies I have applied to online has sent a message or mail-back. My phone beeped with a message, I quickly checked to see who it’s from, in anticipation of a good news.

*This had better be a good news regarding employment*

The message was an invitation for a job briefing but from the structure of the text, I perceived it was yet another scam. I typed the address on a search bar and searched online to get some information about this company and in no time, a long list of testimonials appeared indicating the company is indeed a fake.

*While I am disappointed at this text, I still feel relieved to have found out it was a scam and did not have to attend the briefing. I have heard of cases where people travel from other states to attend such interviews only to find out it was all an exploit*

A new year.

It’s few weeks into the New Year and the entire atmosphere is covered in misty clouds in a season of harmattan we have never seen before. While many complained of the harsh cold and dryness, my visa-hustling Igbo brothers thought it was God’s way of preparing them for the U.S.

I received a call from a close family friend urging me to consider running a master’s degree program in Canada as no job seems to be coming forth. I went online to check out the universities he had suggested but majority had closed registration and the one or two still open, will make it impossible for me to meet up with the bulky requirements as their deadline is just a short time away.

*Running a master’s degree program isn’t in the plans for me right now, it takes a whole lot of money to do that and my parents, who are now expecting me to bring in money to the family, cannot afford such, I mean, me bringing up the issue could cause a fight, not literally*

One of the ways I stay sane and not drive myself into over-thinking about my employment status is to exercise. I love to work-out and stay fit, to me, it’s like an anti-depressant, when am working-out, I forget about the agony of being unemployed.

I left the house as early as 6:30am to meet up with an early morning gym class. I drove in the family car so I could pump one of the tyres and purchase fuel on my way back. I pulled over just by the fitness center and made my way into the gym and just about 10mins into my warm-up session, my phone rings…
Hello, I answered.
“Justice!” It’s my sister and she is panting over the phone.
Yes?
“Come with the car now! Drive to the house fast! Come to the house now!” she panicked.
What is the problem?? I asked in fear.
“It’s mummy, hurry!”

My heart skipped on getting this emergency call. I quickly picked up my sports gear, ran out of the fitness centre and into the car, started the engine and zoomed off, heading back home.

Driving in high speed, so many things ran through my mind but I thought it wise to consider my speed limit so there won’t have to be a second emergency with me.

Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 5:38am On Apr 24, 2016
Be sure to check the ‘Jobs & Career‘ section of www.justiceokwudike.com for job vacancies and career-related articles. Don’t forget to share with your friends on social media as well.
Re: The Nigerian Graduate And The Hustle (season 1) by JUSTICEOFFICIAL(m): 5:39am On Apr 24, 2016
Yes?
“Come with the car now! Drive to the house fast! Come to the house now!” she panicked.
What is the problem?? I asked in fear.
“It’s mummy, hurry!”

My heart skipped on getting this emergency call. I quickly picked up my sports gear, ran out of the building and into the car, started the car and zoomed off, heading back home.

Driving in high speed, so many things ran through my mind but I thought it wise to consider my speed limit so there won’t have to be a second emergency with me.

I got to the house and parked in front of the gate, got out of the car and knocked at the gate. My sister quickly opened
What is happening? I fearfully inquired.
“It’s mummy, she almost fainted!”

I made my way inside the compound and sighted my mum sitting quietly at the entrance door. I was a bit relieved seeing her seated, at least, though she looked weak.
Mummy sorry, I said not wanting to ask questions as she didn’t appear to answer them readily. She nodded she was okay.
*I am so relieved there isn’t any complication*
My mum requested to get some rest and a while later, she got adequate treatment and was completely well again in the next few days.

I’ve called my contact yet again and their responses still remained the same as the last time.

*So when do companies hire? One month, they are not hiring, the next, they are downsizing. What is the fate of a young graduate in this country?*

Months and months have passed. People who have promised helping me secure a job have all failed. No positive feedback from all of the online and physical applications I submitted. Now at this point, I realized that I am pretty much on my own.

…The story continues….

(1) (Reply)

Immortal Woman / Chimamanda's Name / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.