Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,766 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:06 PM

"Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up (2936 Views)

7 Reasons He’s ‘ghosting’ You / Omg can you imagine what this 19 years old girl posted now trending / “haunting” Is The Horrific New Dating Trend That’s Even Worse Than Ghosting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by umehmj(m): 6:38pm On Mar 31, 2016
The trendiest way to breakup a relationship in 2016 is by “Ghosting “!

GHOSTING? WHAT'S THAT?

Ghosting is basically completing cutting off a
romantic partner with no explanation. It mainly
applies to people in dating relationships.
Typically, the “ghosts or ghoster” stops answering
all calls, deletes and blocks the “ghosted” from
social media including but not limited to
Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Snapchat &
Instagram.
The New York Times defines “Ghosting” this way
– (the term) has also come to be used as a verb
that refers to ending a romantic relationship by
cutting off all contact and ignoring the former
partner’s attempts to reach out.
Sounds cruel, doesn’t it?

DO PEOPLE REALLY DO THIS?

In 2014, YouGov/Huffington Post poll of 1,000
adults showed that just 11 percent of Americans
had “ghosted” someone.
This week, a new survey released by the dating
site Plenty of Fish revealed that 78 per cent of
single Millennials have been ‘ghosted’ at least
once! That is a major jump which shows this
trend is truly popping.

GHOSTERS SPEAK OUT

Ameena – I was in a very serious relationship
with this guy for 3 months, we met and fell hard
for each other. He invited me to go on holiday
with him and we travelled to the Gambia. In
Nigeria, we hardly have the freedom to do
sleepovers and things like that so this was our
first time “living together”. It was like he was a
different person, he was impatient and got angry
easily and he put a lot of pressure on me to have
sex with him (I wasn’t ready and didn’t), though
on other days, he was ok.
He didn’t even realize he was doing anything
wrong, I just acted like everything was ok.
As soon as he dropped me at home in Abuja, I
completely deleted his number from my phone
and blocked him online. He kept calling and
calling until I eventually blocked his number.

Ini – I dated this girl for a year around the time I
was ready to settle down. She ticked all the
boxes and was wifey material for sure but she
just didn’t excite me. Everything about her was
perfect and Emma is really a nice girl.
I had already hinted marriage and she had met
my sisters. I felt trapped somehow. I couldn’t
bring myself to break up with her so when I
travelled to the East for a work retreat, I just
didn’t call her while there or when I came back…

THE GHOSTED

Tunde – I was talking to this babe for a while.
We went on a few dates and it was very cool. I
thought we were going in the same direction. We
talked everyday and all that. One night, we were
chatting on WhatsApp and I was telling her how
much I was missing her. I promised to send her a
pic to show how much I was missing her…
I sent a pic of something special…and she
immediately blocked me on WhatsApp. I tried
calling her but she never picked up. She didn’t
even bother blocking me on Twitter, she just
carried on her life.

We dedicate Phyno & Olamide’s “Ghost Mode” to
all Ghosters and the Ghosted.

If you have "ghosted" someone or been "ghosted" by someone, feel free to share with us. grin
Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by toyeoye(m): 6:49pm On Mar 31, 2016
I have ghosted and been ghosted ...
Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by Bluezy13(m): 7:04pm On Mar 31, 2016
Hmmm...
Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by Nobody: 7:05pm On Mar 31, 2016
It works and makes your break up easy and devoid of complications and explanations. grin

2 Likes

Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by umehmj(m): 7:08pm On Mar 31, 2016
PushPlay:
It works and makes your break up easy and devoid of complications and explanations. grin

you sound like a serial ghoster. grin

1 Like

Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by Nobody: 7:17pm On Mar 31, 2016
umehmj:

you sound like a serial ghoster. grin

It's a lot easier especially for Naija babes who thinks it's the guys role to always initiate contact.

Anyways, I only Ghost when I notice sh*t I can no longer bare.

No time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by Mathematical(f): 7:31pm On Mar 31, 2016
coolGhosting is the best way to breakup if you don't have the nerve for proper or improper explanation.. never been ghost, haven't ghost anyone.. but if I start having a relationship and if the silly mate ghost me eh..ah swear.. ah go make sure ah find am.. mak em yarn me wetyn ah do wrong.. can't be ghosted ii
Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by BiafraBushBoy(m): 7:48pm On Mar 31, 2016
Mtcheeewwww undecided

Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by MoneypassGod(m): 8:29pm On Mar 31, 2016
I hav ghosted this girl once, she was trying to friend-zone me.

1 Like

Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by hopeforcharles(m): 9:10pm On Mar 31, 2016
Old story, ghosting is my method since ages, it reduces the heart breaks, and it's effective, I use is serialy. I And it helps if ever you want to come back, u will just say u lost ur phone or someone formatted ur phone so u lost all ur applications and passwords. Lol

2 Likes

Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by ClassCaptain(m): 9:23pm On Mar 31, 2016
umehmj:

THE GHOSTED
Tunde – I was talking to this babe for a while. We went on a few dates and it was very cool. I thought we were going in the same direction. We talked everyday and all that. One night, we were chatting on WhatsApp and I was telling her how much I was missing her. I promised to send her a pic to show how much I was missing her… " I SENT HER A PICTURE OF SOMETHlNG SPECIAL "…and she immediately blocked me on WhatsApp. I tried calling her but she never picked up. grin

something special indeed grin

1 Like

Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by umehmj(m): 9:26pm On Mar 31, 2016
hopeforcharles:
Old story, ghosting is my method since ages, it reduces the heart breaks, and it's effective, I use is serialy. I And it helps if ever you want to come back, u will just say u lost ur phone or someone formatted ur phone so u lost all ur applications and passwords. Lol

na God go judge you lol
Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by hopeforcharles(m): 9:41pm On Mar 31, 2016
umehmj:

na God go judge you lol
lol my guy na Ghosting sure pass, i no want make person go sick or die cos of me, lol
Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by Nobody: 10:00pm On Mar 31, 2016
wow... this is enticing
Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by Nobody: 10:12pm On Mar 31, 2016
That's my style nah...no be today ...No time for stories wink

1 Like

Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by Nobody: 10:41pm On Mar 31, 2016
angry angry God forgive me cheesy
Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by Nobody: 10:48pm On Mar 31, 2016
It works! I developed and perfected d shit!
toyeoye:
I have ghosted and been ghosted ...
Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by Rotab4life: 11:05pm On Mar 31, 2016
Lol..mehn d way i dey ghost ehn i dey feel say i be real ghost. Man go just lock up humbly
Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by HopeAtHand: 11:14pm On Mar 31, 2016
Ghosting a.k.a "distance legover" na normal thing nau. Reminds me of Joe Cole in his Chelsea day. We never even near you, we done legover you.

1 Like

Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by geniusgenes: 11:41pm On Mar 31, 2016
I ghosted a lot! I guess it's because i had been in a serious relationship and never really meant any of the things i said to the other girls.
I only looked to see if my wooing skills were still in shape, and yeah! i loved challenges. the moment i got the 'yes!' ghosting would start!
we dun grow now sha... it's up to the kids now to rep well.
Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by wemmieslim(f): 12:07am On Apr 01, 2016
Just Ghosted someone recently, it's a feeling of freedom.
Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by denedene(m): 1:20am On Apr 01, 2016
In the process of being ghosted cry chei. I hope not
Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by Nobody: 1:23am On Apr 01, 2016
Somethin' is always gettin' a name slapped on it an called a new trend when it's older than a grandma cat.

Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by Nobody: 8:13am On Apr 01, 2016
Oh nairaland grin... Thanks Op, never knew there was a word to summarize all i've been trying to explain to pals smiley
Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by NarnieSnyper(m): 9:20am On Apr 01, 2016
Yeah, i'v been ghosted too.

Met this damsel while running some things in school. I initiated the convo but she took it up and did 60% of the talking. We really enjoyed eachother's company, i collected her nmbr and we continued our convo through whatsapp. Told her with the way things were going, i'd likely initiate a relationshp very soon with her because she's got all it takes. She blushed and said she was cool with it. After about 1week, she completely 'ghosted' me.

I startd thinking my village people were after me because everything was alright and looking good
Re: "Ghosting", The Now Trending Way People Break Up by Dinah247: 10:57pm On Jun 07, 2022

(1) (Reply)

Guys/men Check That Ass Real Well O.(pics) / Introduce Yourselves Here / If My Girlfriend Refuse To Give Me Sex, And I Go Out, Is It Bad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.