Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,274 members, 7,807,927 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:55 PM

Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? (13100 Views)

20 Top Kitchen Secrets Most People Dont Know / How To Prevent Fire Outbreak In Your Kitchen / Some Unnecessary Kitchen Gadgets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by nezerst(f): 10:30pm On Nov 03, 2009
HOW TO TURN THE KITCHEN UPSIDE DOWN WHEN COOKING.
N HOW TO SPEND 4 HOURS IN THE KITCHEN N YET NOTHING IS READY.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Hauwa1: 10:33pm On Nov 03, 2009
ewoo, sugar for stew undecided grin na chinese lo mein?  grin

boil your blended tomatoes till pasty for zero acidic taste my mama said ooo

Osisi, how now kedu? miss ya  grin
Gator, bawo ni now, mo miss e na grin

right, onion is a no no for ofe onugbu. long time i ate that soup cry
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Nov 03, 2009
Hauwa, I dey o.
I miss you too na. Oju kan la fi n ri e. grin

@post
Don't use your cell phone while you're cooking in the kitchen grin
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by koolchicco: 10:44pm On Nov 03, 2009
*Hauwa*:

right, onion is a no no for ofe onugbu. long time i ate that soup cry

Really?

Just finished making a full pot of it now.hmm, Yummy yummy!  cheesy cheesy              some of my friends are already waiting to have some! grin
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by posakosa(m): 10:48pm On Nov 03, 2009
kool, u're always cooking. r u a cook ?
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by koolchicco: 10:54pm On Nov 03, 2009
posakosa:

kool, u're always cooking. r u a cook ?

Posa I love cooking a lot, Talk about passion. cheesy
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by 0sisi: 11:00pm On Nov 03, 2009
davidylan:

sprinkle garri inside egusi soup, thickens it.

potatoes can be used to thicken ofe onugbu when you don't have ede (cocoyam)
My aunt in London uses oatmeal
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by posakosa(m): 11:02pm On Nov 03, 2009
koolchicco:

Posa I love cooking a lot, Talk about passion. cheesy

Where are you located ? Can I hire you as my chef------hehehehehe

whats ur favorite food ?
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by mohawkchic(f): 11:03pm On Nov 03, 2009
Hanoobaba:

@mohawkchick: are we not supposed to talk about the rituals we learnt.

[size=13pt] ~Did i imply otherwise? undecided

~Are you on about me finding a couple of the things you mentioned superstitious?
[/size]
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by koolchicco: 11:13pm On Nov 03, 2009
posakosa:

Where are you located ? Can I hire you as my chef------hehehehehe

whats your favorite food ?

Baba, to employ me fit cost u more than 2 cent oo! grin

I like most foods tho, Spicy Jellof Rice anyday!

Coconut fried rice garnished with Veg and smoked fish/turkey.

I bake as well and my Fav are Egg rolls and Pan-Cakes. cheesy
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by posakosa(m): 11:30pm On Nov 03, 2009
^^^^^^ shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

na wa oooh------ur wife go enjoy well well
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Robotnik: 12:46am On Nov 04, 2009
My mom taught me to always put the handle facing the left. Dont use too much oil, not healthy,
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Biabeke(f): 1:17am On Nov 04, 2009
My mother and grandmother taught me how to cook soup without frying palm oil. They told me that frying palm oil or ogbono is for city girls.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Biabeke(f): 1:32am On Nov 04, 2009
My mother also taught me how to cook stew with fresh and blended tomatoes without boiling them before adding to the stew. Boiling tomatoes? Yuck!! tongue
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Biabeke(f): 1:37am On Nov 04, 2009
Koolchicco, do you have the recipe for egg rolls? If you do, could you please give it to me? My e-mail address is nakaleayovunefe@yahoo.com. Thank you very much. smiley
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by agabaI23(m): 1:53am On Nov 04, 2009
Cooking in a clean kitchen

Clean as you go

Clean before you go(leave)

Do the dishes before the food settles. Now I do the dishes before eating the food. I can't enjoy my food while the pot is still dirty.

After my food, straight to the sink and the ritual is completed.

Ready for another feast!

There is nothing as sweet as coming to the kitchen and all you have to do is to take the source pan, place it on the burner and start cooking.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by agabaI23(m): 1:56am On Nov 04, 2009
nezerst:

HOW TO TURN THE KITCHEN UPSIDE DOWN WHEN COOKING.
N HOW TO SPEND 4 HOURS IN THE KITCHEN N YET NOTHING IS READY.

What a mother!
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by victorazy(m): 2:19am On Nov 04, 2009
PLS, ANY BEAUTIFUL GIRL HERE INTERSTED 4 A GUY IN ABUJA, HOT AND HANDSOME victorazy@yahoo.com or 08059237482

Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by victorazy(m): 2:24am On Nov 04, 2009
pls, this is my real number 08069237482
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by mavenbox: 2:42am On Nov 04, 2009
I learnt never to add sugar to garri before adding water, because it will not swell to the maximum extent.

grin grin grin But that was in boarding school. My mum went to heaven when I was really young.

embarassed cry
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by donsteady(m): 3:17am On Nov 04, 2009
Is not hygienic to have s*x in the kitchen while cooking, always wash hands before torching anything in the kitchen
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Outstrip(f): 4:07am On Nov 04, 2009
Your mom had to tell you that? lipsrsealed
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by mohawkchic(f): 4:10am On Nov 04, 2009
cheesy grin
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Princek12(m): 6:22am On Nov 04, 2009
I heard that mango + gari = early grave. Till this day, you will never see me drink mango and gari, even for $1mil.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by ThoniaSlim(f): 7:19am On Nov 04, 2009
Basically most of what has been mentioned so far. . .I also learnt from my mother. . .
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by vanitty: 8:49am On Nov 04, 2009
My mum hates hates to waste food.
I learnt a lot of ways you can eat left- over food lol
Eating okro with rice, with ekuru, infact my mum will eat any food with okro if she can.
My mum eats her yam in a very peculiar way, she doesn't peel the yam, she just slices it, after it is cooked she then peels
My mum really didn't teach me how to cook, i leart that from my grandmother
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by mmaks: 8:51am On Nov 04, 2009
sweet momsy.taught me to always put maggi before salt in a soup to avoid oversalting the food. to put oil early while cooking so it

can cook and blend well. love her to pieces. still crave for her food though i am married.
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by BIKINI(f): 9:18am On Nov 04, 2009
Rituals i have picked up from mu mummy and still learn whenever i visit , remain countless and priceless . But some am willing to share
1)
if u ever have the misfortune of pepper going into ur eyes ?
dont fret , calmly put 2 to three lil pinches of salt in your mouth an suck on it making sure u taste and actually swallow it . u'll be surprise @ d speed the pain will dissappear even without dousing your eyes with water.
2 ) powdered ofo should be mixed with oil 1st before adding it to any soup.
3)parboiling beans reduces heartburns.
4) egusi is best "fried" with stock and oil .
5)be able to cook fast,on time and present tasty meals . mumsie: "baby do dis tin sharp sharp now abi habaa pple should die of hunger first ?"
6) have a winning seasoning and recipe( if possible a signature recipe ); organic or artificial
7)wash ur hands b4 and and after cooking not 4geting ur dishes oooooo
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by Vivibrown(f): 9:55am On Nov 04, 2009
I can't remember mum teaching me d kitchen rudiments but i can say i observed her closely. Like how 2 make cooking very snappy, keeping the surrounding of the kitchen clean including the dishes, using good quantity of ingredients(crayfish, Iru/dawada to give natural taste ) for soup etc. According to her, a good/bad cook is only identified when she does not use artificial boost like maggi nd others
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by donsteady(m): 10:14am On Nov 04, 2009
;d
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by emiemi(f): 11:00am On Nov 04, 2009
What i learnt?

1. Cooking delicious meal is a sure way to your hubby's heart anyday. grin

2. She used to insist on pounding crayfish and locust bean in d small mortar and not blend it. I bet it gives it a natural taste.

3. A clean kitchen keeps the doctor away grin
Re: Which Kitchen Rituals Did You Learn From Your Mother? by emiemi(f): 11:03am On Nov 04, 2009
And lest i forget, food wastage is a grave offence too. I have kinda taken to it seriously.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What's Your Favorite Breakfast? / ###EUROSONIC DISTRIBUTOR: Get Your Kitchen/home Appliances @ Wholesale Prices. / Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.