Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,315 members, 7,780,767 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:35 PM

Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From (47146 Views)

5 Tips For Older Job Seekers Facing Discrimination / Age Discrimination By Employers In The Job Market / Man Who Graduated With First Class From UK University Cries Out For Job. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by StevensJojo(f): 6:44am On Apr 01, 2016
Heartbreaking- Another Form Of Job Discrimination Emerges

Today I came across another form of discrimination on a job site
Take a look at this.

“We love those who went to School in Nigeria, and we especially love people from the University of Ibadan, FUTA, Akure, Convenant University, Babcock University, the University of Lagos and the Obafemi Awolowo University.”

So basically, if you did not go to one of these schools, you have been subtly informed not to apply?
Wow.
http://manly.ng/another-form-of-job-discrimination-emerges/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by Acidosis(m): 7:17am On Apr 01, 2016
cheesy
Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by jashar(f): 7:23am On Apr 01, 2016
No be today naaa....

grin

P.S. (Proudly an alumna of OAU). kiss

And it's no big deal. undecided

God help us all.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by Acidosis(m): 7:33am On Apr 01, 2016
some Nigerians are very corrupt. The same HR in that akara firm would tomorrow blame and accuse CBN of corruption and discrimination.

They all provide "equal opportunities" on PDF files, but in reality, they're pathetic extremists and providers of equal sentiments.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by Nobody: 7:52am On Apr 01, 2016
Acidosis:
some Nigerians are very corrupt. The same HR in that akara firm would tomorrow blame and accuse CBN of corruption and discrimination.
Although I agree with you that this act should be frowned upon, that doesn't mean it is corruption. Every employer has every right to choose who he/she is taking into his company. Since the company would bear the brunt of paying the employee's remuneration and training cost, they have the right to select their choice based on whatever qualification, course, grade, age-group, institution, gender they feel would be in the best interest of the company. .

Some companies in the Western world too only employ graduates form Harvard, Yale, Oxford University, this 'discrimination' is not peculiar to Nigeria alone.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by Acidosis(m): 8:04am On Apr 01, 2016
LastMumu:
Although I agree with you that this act should be frowned upon, that doesn't mean it is corruption. Every employer has every right to choose who he/she is taking into his company. Since the company would bear the brunt of paying the employee's remuneration and training cost, they have the right to select their choice based on whatever qualification, age-group, institution, gender they feel would be in the best interest of the company. .

Some companies in the Western world too only employ graduates form Harvard, Yale, Oxford University, this 'discrimination' is not peculiar to Nigeria alone.

You're right,

but is it safe to defend the CBN recruitment saga by saying: CBN is meant for the sons and daughters of the rich and the elites? Given the fact that these folks are less prone to fraud, unlike poor kids who have never seen brand new dollars & pounds?

Please do not quote quota system or Federal Character. Remember, private firms also have their corporate and recruitment strategy, and I've never seen any written form of discrimination. They all claim one thing on paper, and do another in reality.
When it is time to defraud clients, they'll smile and dine with an Hausa man from Usmanu Danfodio University, but when it's time to recruit, they would immediately remember their redundant alma mata, without given others any chance to prove their worths.

Anyway, I'm not mad at the employers, whoever denies me any position is at a loss.

81 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by PresVA: 8:10am On Apr 01, 2016
Op, let whatever discrimination don't get to you. . A company may not need you but another will; that's life... all d best. ..

6 Likes

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by Aremu01(m): 8:35am On Apr 01, 2016
PresVA:
Op, let whatever discrimination don't get to you. . A company may not need you but another will; that's life... all d best. ..
Well said

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by gbadenor(m): 9:50am On Apr 01, 2016
Nawa ooo...discrimination everywhere...
Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by johnwizey: 11:31am On Apr 01, 2016
Unilorin no dey dere, Uniben no dey dere talkless of Eksu. Shey i no go change school lyk dis

4 Likes

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by Nobody: 2:01pm On Apr 01, 2016
If it is a private firm I dont see why you should complain

1 Like

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by MadCow1: 2:12pm On Apr 01, 2016
No UNIBEN... Not Surprised..

Even in my Poultry, I will not employ anybody that even lived near UNIBEN talkless of schooling there. angry

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by OLUJOSHINS(m): 2:12pm On Apr 01, 2016
....... . .
Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by Gkemz: 2:13pm On Apr 01, 2016
The following are the most commonly discriminated; age, state, tribe, religion, height for military and paramilitary, physical disabilities even when it doesn't affect ones efficiency.

1 Like

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by scholes0(m): 2:13pm On Apr 01, 2016
Their job, their choice of schools.
Abi do you want to decide for them?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by hucienda: 2:14pm On Apr 01, 2016
What about UNN, ABU, Uniben, Unilorin, FUTO, NAU, UniJos, UniPort and the others...

This is a dangerous trend and could cause rifts and echoes of tribalism in the country if not nipped in the bud.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by Nobody: 2:14pm On Apr 01, 2016
Our country

People whose schools are included would of course not see any discrimination undecided

11 Likes

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by omofunaab(m): 2:14pm On Apr 01, 2016
I don't see this as discrimination ..it is about standard.. .

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by richidinho(m): 2:14pm On Apr 01, 2016
Countrymen how una dey survive for this con3
Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by truthspeaks: 2:15pm On Apr 01, 2016
Ok but wen they r lookin for customers/clients, they shld do so wit those dat originated frm those institutions alone. And I only observed dat d skuls preferred r only of d SW. So no beta institutions exist in other regions? Aftr, d same firm will say they employers of equal opportunities. Does dis not further deepen d distrust among tribes in d country? Soon a firm will say they only wnt graduates frm SE institutions, guess who started it 1st?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by easyfem(m): 2:16pm On Apr 01, 2016
Heaven have mercy over the one I just apply in one of dos school mention
Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by Nobody: 2:16pm On Apr 01, 2016
Hmmmm

This reminds me of a story I heard when I was a student about a graduate from my faculty seeking a job..who performed so well at the interview that every other graduate who was from my faculty present for the interview got employed without the need for going to the interview.

I think the problem here is that companies are not obliged to employ people from all schools...they can be discriminatory. Especially if they have had good previous experience with graduates from the schools they want to employ. Also...it depends on the schools themselves. The better a school does..the better its grads get placed.

And it must be noted that there is no law stating that company A must employ graduates from all schools. (This is not a government institution).

Ultimately....the ball is in the various universities court.The world is not fair. This is not the days of my parents and grandparents...when jobs were secure because 1: fewer graduates and 2: we needed to replace the white expats fast. Now..there are too many uni graduates chasing too few jobs. Something's got to give.

2 Likes

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by Flexherbal(m): 2:16pm On Apr 01, 2016
This is bad and should be frowned at , at all levels.
Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by Runaway: 2:16pm On Apr 01, 2016
It called change. Blame GEJ
Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by seunaj: 2:16pm On Apr 01, 2016
As long as that is coming from the private sector and not from a government establishment. JELANI ALI began his A-levels in Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, but later dropped out and enrolled in the Birnin Kebbi Polythechnic, Kebbi State wia he bagged an OND. Henry Ford (an automobile billionaire) was born in abject poverty. He never saw the four walls of school but he went on to build Ford Motor Company and become one of the richest men that ever lived.
Why do we keep laying emphasy on paper qualification in Nigeria? There are brains in our colleges of education, monotechnics, polytechnic, even in our motor packs.
The techniques of success and productivity goes beyond the confinement of a particular institution of learning or the technicality of answering a 45mins question in the examination hall.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by Hemanwel(m): 2:16pm On Apr 01, 2016
Any organization that wants to grow can never streamline its recruitment process to applicants from a/some particular school(s) in the country.Just when some employers are seeking ways to employ people from across the globe to become an International standard,these ones are coming up with these??
From the names of the schools I see here,I perceive one local company from the SW to be behind this.

FYI,though needless to say,a Masters degree holder from the University of Ibadan once asked me to spell "INSECTICIDE" for him..How about that?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by plainmirror(m): 2:18pm On Apr 01, 2016
An employer of labor has the jurisdiction to streamline applicants inflow with criterion that best fits the task to be undertaken.

I don't see it as job discrimination so far as it is a private business venture.

12 Likes

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by Utchgirl(f): 2:18pm On Apr 01, 2016
Seems all d schools mentioned above are all in South west. If it's a private firm,d owner or maybe (HR) must be 4rm dt region.... hence i comment my reserve !

In times like dis,we remember our CBN gov'nor and his partial recruitment. Both cases r similar in all ramifications.

Tribalism and favouritism ti take over.

3 Likes

Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by Goldenheart(m): 2:18pm On Apr 01, 2016
Alright
Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by opineflu(m): 2:19pm On Apr 01, 2016
wy u dey complain no b naija u dey........ abi....weeiah u come 4rm op
Re: Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From by dayoungmoney1: 2:19pm On Apr 01, 2016
Such is life. Life ain't fair.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Will Never Apply For A Federal Government Job Again Without Strong Connection / Graduate Trainees At AOS Orwell / I Give Up On Job Hunt. I Received Two Regret Mails Same Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.