Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,546 members, 7,801,525 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:31 PM

Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth - Science/Technology (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth (46434 Views)

10 Biggest Threats That Could Wipe Out Life On Earth / This Could Wipe Out Life On Earth And Transform Earth To A Mars-Like Planet. / 21 Overwhelming Images Showing The Effects Of Humans On Earth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by Strawman: 7:38pm On Apr 01, 2016
MrLouisVanGaal:

Lol..thisis not about being a good or bad Christian. I 'll reply you with only one question. When do you think humans came to existence and how long have they been collating data about the earth?

Actually it is.

Topic: "Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth"

Many comments (paraphrased): "Neither of these would eventually wipe out all life on Earth because of God."

Those people had faith that God is, and has been, protecting us from these disasters since time immemorial.

You, on the other hand...shared no such faith

Reason why I pointed out whether you're a good Christian or not. So you can't tell me "thisis not about being a good or bad Christian" because I was still on topic.

As for your question, I don't see the point really; what exactly is my own perception of how long humans have existed and how long they've been collating data about the earth going to drive at?

If you have a point, say it. Don't ask me
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by ableguy(m): 8:34pm On Apr 01, 2016
Counter Thread, Why Natural Elements Can Not Destroy The World. by ableguy
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by Adesege(m): 8:53pm On Apr 01, 2016
3rdlegxxx:

But 100 years from now, your kids of younger ones kids would be alive or your grand children, that isn't such a far away time, a thousand years seems a bit encouraging tho..

That's true but at least, I wont be alive to witness it.
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by Strawman: 8:54pm On Apr 01, 2016
RobinHez:

That is some bold statements there... Cuz the scary thing about Revelation is the way the End of age was portrayed, if we shouldn't take it literally, then folks can heave a sigh of relief.. Don't u think? sad

Absolutely not. As scary as Revelation is to someone who interprets it literally, the events that the visions symbolise should be frightening to about the same extent. For instance, if you receive an anonymous text message telling you that "you're going to sleep with the fishes tonight", don't you dare heave a sigh of relief just because you know you're not literally going to be sleeping with fishes cheesy

RobinHez:
Never underestimate the mind of man, a little error in the coding system of an army of killer robots can cause chaos!

The first time an atomic bomb was used in a war... We all knew what the aftermath was, not to talk about now, when nations have their arsenal loaded with nuclear weapons and even an hydrogen bomb""?

If u read the article well, it was stated that the last time those events happened on earth it was catastrophic e.g. The extinction of the entire Dinosaur race, And it was also stated that some of those events are overdue too...

If we go into scriptures, Peter prophesied in his second epistle that the world as we know it is going to MELT WITH FERVENT HEAT, with everything in it burnt up! That tallies with another scientific apocalyptic theory where the sun.. In its dying state would swallow up the planets around it including earth...

Also, a flood which was only 15 cubit high was enough to put an end to the known world in Noah's time... 15 Cubits!!

What I'm saying to you bro, both Science and religion know that the end of the world won't be less dramatic than what we've already conceived! "if we gonna talk based on faith" , These things have not happened yet cuz God hasn't given the go ahead!

I get your point, I even acknowledged that some of them are possible..but far-fetched, and very complex (e.g robot ascension). Some I dont see them beyond the capability of mankind in handling them (e.g pandemic, global warming, and even robot ascension). Some have had more than 10000000000 opportunities to end life already since the beginning of time..but they haven't. I believe that God has been protecting us, and I see no plausible reason to fear them as much as they've been portrayed.

1 Like

Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by chccho(m): 9:09pm On Apr 01, 2016
Originalsly:
Why you figure I don't understand? Is that possible?...yes. Is it possible for the sun to have a really major flare up and end humanity?...yes.... and so are other possibilities I understand but do not believe any of that would cause the end of humanity.About the age of the earth and what happened so many million of years ago and whatever. ...all theories....repeated so often that too many think they are facts.
U are not bright

1 Like

Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by Agroinfotech: 10:01pm On Apr 01, 2016
Scientists will always look for a way to explain what has been concluded.
The Rapture is REAL, Don't be misguided with all these fallacies. Why the next 100 years and not next week.

PLEASE ADD:
THE RAPTURE CAN HAPPEN ANYTIME FROM NOW. BE PREPARED! Jesus is coming back as promised.
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by lyricalpontiff(m): 10:07pm On Apr 01, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by OyinbowithaTan(m): 10:09pm On Apr 01, 2016
There have been 5 mass extinctions in the past, mass volcanic eruptions, and Asteroid impacts were to blame. A couple of these events, the causes are still not clear. I do not buy man made global warming via carbon emissions. Pandemic or anything that would destroy clean water supply or clean water systems is possible.
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by Brainiacmrtolz(m): 10:09pm On Apr 01, 2016
lmao but Jesus is surely coming very very soon. choose life

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by Nobody: 8:17am On Apr 02, 2016
Strawman:

Actually it is.

Topic: "Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth"

Many comments (paraphrased): "Neither of these would eventually wipe out all life on Earth because of God."

Those people had faith that God is, and has been, protecting us from these disasters since time immemorial.

You, on the other hand...shared no such faith

Reason why I pointed out whether you're a good Christian or not. So you can't tell me "thisis not about being a good or bad Christian" because I was still on topic.

As for your question, I don't see the point really; what exactly is my own perception of how long humans have existed and how long they've been collating data about the earth going to drive at?

If you have a point, say it. Don't ask me

Humans haven't existed long and so know very little about the world they are in, however they have been able to make and provide proofs to theories about the planet even before they existed and i wouldn't disbelieve that. Secondly science has shown me things religion previously said weren't true or existed. (Google more on this) Faith is not the total absence of reasoning bro. That you have faith doesn't stop you from believing reality happens and things "can" occur. When over 100,000 people or even more lost their lives in the first use of a nuclear weapon, people like you and obviously some people on ground in such cities would have doubted such ever happening before then because there is faith in God that such can never happen, but it did happen and it was too late to cry to him. God created the dinosaurs(that's if you even believe they existed) but where are they today? what are we told happened to them? You've only been here a few years and you believe you are the untouchable race. Before i go lemme bring out something from the bible. God destroyed the world with water and left only Noah and his family, however he promised not to do it again but we also know God sometimes turns on his promises, sometimes on his own and sometimes if the people call on him to. Read 2 kings 20 and other books of the bible concerning this subject. If he decides to end all this...Who are you to say otherwise. Anyway let me leave you here. Religion and science, dogma and fact don't mix.
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by DNBCrew: 10:24am On Apr 02, 2016
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by 3rdlegxxx(m): 10:50am On Apr 02, 2016
Adesege:

That's true but at least, I wont be alive to witness it.

You don't even care about your children (@least d ones u might have) and ur grand kids hehehehe
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by Adesege(m): 10:53am On Apr 02, 2016
3rdlegxxx:

You don't even care about your children (@least d ones u might have) and ur grand kids hehehehe

The first, second and third generation may not be alive then grin
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by Douglasin: 12:56pm On Apr 02, 2016
RobinHez:

Robot ascension

The Terminator may be science fiction, but robotic killing machines capable of thinking and acting on their own are not far from becoming a reality.

The United Nations recently called for a ban on killer robots - presumably because experts feared that several countries were developing them.

Inventor Elon Musk, co-founder of Paypal, said last year that artificial intelligence might be the “greatest existential threat” that humans face.

And Stephen Hawking recently said: “The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race. Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn’t compete, and would be superseded.”

I'm a huge fan of Elon Musk, but when it comes to this situation, I'll say he is a little bit paranoid.
His opinion contradicts Larry Page's own. Google uses ai for lots of things e.g the making of self driving cars.
Elon invested in a robotic company stating that he wants to make sure they don't go too far. We aren't at that level of civilization yet.
A huge fan though
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by Douglasin: 1:03pm On Apr 02, 2016
kingsamosy:
fear of the unknown. that artificial intelligence is a big threat but some Robot wizard no ever ear word.
a.I. is still in its beginning phase. it's going to take years(lots of it) before we even get to the stage they are talking about.
Google even incorporate some elements of ai in their self driving cars
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by Strawman: 1:29pm On Apr 02, 2016
MrLouisVanGaal:

Humans haven't existed long and so know very little about the world they are in, however they have been able to make and provide proofs to theories about the planet even before they existed and i wouldn't disbelieve that. Secondly science has shown me things religion previously said weren't true or existed. (Google more on this)

No wonder I questioned the point of you bringing this up earlier cos it's not even relevant to the topic at hand. You even kind of contradicted yourself here. If you say that humans still found proof and theories of stuff about the earth before their existence, doesn't that make your point that humans haven't lived long enough irrelevant?

MrLouisVanGaal:
Faith is not the total absence of reasoning bro. That you have faith doesn't stop you from believing reality happens and things "can" occur. When over 100,000 people or even more lost their lives in the first use of a nuclear weapon, people like you and obviously some people on ground in such cities would have doubted such ever happening before then because there is faith in God that such can never happen, but it did happen and it was too late to cry to him.

I already acknowledged that there have been weapons of mass destruction that have taken lives en masse in the past. Heck, there were many instances even in the Bible where there was mass genocide caused by man's handwork. Who is doubting that here?

Your "people like you" comment is too 'ad hominem' and false; I wouldn't have doubted the nuclear weapons. Those who would've doubted the genocide caused by nuclear weapons could also believe, in reckless abandon, that the slightest form of such destruction is impossible because God is protecting them; those set of people are extremists. On the other hand, I acknowledge that that instance you cited is very much possible, and there are many more events that are capable of just as much damage. However, you don't need to be an extremist before you believe that God will not allow something wipe out all life on earth just by coincidence or just because it can. That's a big load of nope for me.

Most of the natural disasters listed in the thread have had about 4.5billion years of the earth's existence worth of opportunities to happen already, yes they can happen, but they haven't, because? Why? We're lucky? 4.5billion years of luck...No. I still stand on my position that God has protected us so far, except you have a way to justify 4.5billion years of luck, or at least how many years of luck humans have existed, and I don't see that happening.

That leaves those stuff about magnetic reversal, Gama ray bursts etc. destroying the earth out of the equation.

Alien invasions..if we're going to agree that there's life outside earth, I'd agree to the point that there could be unicellular organisms in other planet. But if you want to assume that there are aliens out there who are capable of invading earth and overpowering Earth's military and technological prowess to the point that they'll wipe out all life on earth, you are on your own.

Robot ascension..this is too Science Fiction-esque abeg. Possible, but the complexity of achieving such is too much. I don't see it beyond Earth's computer wizards to quickly create a kill switch to stop this in fact.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

MrLouisVanGaal:
God created the dinosaurs(that's if you even believe they existed) but where are they today? what are we told happened to them? You've only been here a few years and you believe you are the untouchable race. Before i go lemme bring out something from the bible. God destroyed the world with water and left only Noah and his family, however he promised not to do it again but we also know God sometimes turns on his promises, sometimes on his own and sometimes if the people call on him to. Read 2 kings 20 and other books of the bible concerning this subject. If he decides to end all this...Who are you to say otherwise. Anyway let me leave you here. Religion and science, dogma and fact don't mix.

This paragraph is just bullshit:
1. At the back of your mind, you habour the thought that I may not believe in dinosaurs, when pictures of dinosaur fossils are in encylopedias of any standard primary school.

2. You keep pointing out your inferiority complex in comparison to other extraterrestrial species that you are not even sure of, even when as a Christian, you should know that God has pointed out the superiority of man.

3. "God sometimes turns on his promises, sometimes on his own and sometimes if the people call on him to"

Turning back on His own promises on His own? Definitely not the Christian God, so I don't know what you are saying. "Sometimes" imply that He has done this frequently, so if you bother responding, better back this up with examples. And "sometimes if the people call on him to", if we're relating this to the topic at hand, which people are going to beg God to destroy the world?

4. "Religion and science, dogma and fact don't mix."

Irrelevant comments are irrelevant

2 Likes

Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by Douglasin: 1:44pm On Apr 02, 2016
blackprowler:
I'm aware of a majority of these threats, and the most realistically possible and imminent one at any moment - the nuclear one. This is why I'm running insane at absolute FOOLS whose only obsession is how to be married so and so time, to have such and such children, to undermine their fellow man, cheat them and get one unmerited promotion or the other, defend one tribe or the other. It's all a joke. Human beings are incredibly ignorant, even more so in Nigeria. These Islamic barbarians are ACTIVELY look to get their hands on nuclear weapons and then the world will understand what nuclear weapons are all about since their only preoccupation is reality TV and how Davido wore that dress. You know the world almost came to an end in October 1962, and almost by mistake in 1977 (or 78)? I wish I were not around on earth and observe these things happen to earthlings so that they realise I'm not that crazy afterall and I ponder what they never spare a thought about
I dont see anything wrong if someone's goal is to get married and have children. the rest are terrible though.
Having a wife and kids is nice but doing just that would be boring for me because I believe there are lots of things to be done.
but if that is someone's goal, fine.
hope you get my point.
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by Sphilip1(m): 2:45pm On Apr 02, 2016
YOU'RE RIGHT
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by Nobody: 11:43am On Apr 03, 2016
Well, that puts scientists in a race, then. cheesy
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by samsard(m): 3:50pm On Apr 03, 2016
Originalsly:
I believe none of them will....but the one that would affect us the most is Pandemic. Bill Gates and a few other billionaires believe in population control and are funding the development of viruses that cause pandemics. Swine Flu....Ebola...Zika... are all engineered viruses used in population control.....and if that's not enough...the vaccines to 'protect us ' is another way of destroying humanity....well...ask yourself certain section of it. BTW....do you know the very mistake that caused the Zika outbreak is the ery one eine repeated to solve it?
I also believe in population control (for very obvious reasons), that doesnt mean that i want to develop a virus to reduce the world's population.

1 Like

Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by 3rdlegxxx(m): 8:38pm On Jun 02, 2016
hehehehe scardy pants, some scary ish tho.. cool grin grin
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by holythug(m): 3:23pm On Jun 03, 2016
@OP u easily forgot to mention extinction of some animals, insects - Bees, butterflies...etc
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by tecno4life(m): 7:23pm On Sep 12, 2016
RobinHez:

Gamma ray burst

Gamma-ray bursts are flashes of gamma-ray light, probably caused by the merging of two collapsed stars, and are the most powerful explosions of energy in the universe - as much as ten quadrillion times as energetic as the sun.

So far, the bursts - which are detected from earth about once a day - have happened in distant galaxies millions of light-years away. If such an event were to happen closer to home, the intense flash of gamma rays illuminating the earth for ten seconds would cook the atmosphere and destroy the ozone layer, causing a massive extinction event.

Astronomers point out double stars are almost completely undetectable and we would have no advance warning until the moment it hits us.

I love this gamma ray stuff, it will make us all incredible hulks grin

Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by RobinHez(m): 8:36pm On Sep 12, 2016
tecno4life:

I love this gamma ray stuff, it will make us all incredible hulks grin
LOL cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by tck2000(m): 9:25pm On Oct 15, 2019
kingsamosy:
fear of the unknown. that artificial intelligence is a big threat but some Robot wizard no ever ear word.
True
Re: Ten of the greatest threats that could wipe out all life on Earth by Physicsgodbeast: 3:47pm On Jun 26, 2023
Wow human have so far so we can actually invent (AI) which can get smart real quick even faster than us
Who brought the fucking idea of killer robot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mubarak Abdullahi Builds Helicopters In His House / Leopard Spotted At Game Reserve In Bauchi After Not Being Seen For Decades.PICS / Annular Eclipse To Hit Nigeria Tomorrow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.