Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,699 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:36 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 - Travel (355) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 (897773 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) (357) (358) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by happytbaby: 9:42pm On Sep 25, 2016
Babes, lets face it, medical care in the US is expensive. $476 + $2318 for NICU stay of 4days is not high in my opinion, more might be coming.
When researching hospitals we need to research their NICU costs too and know what level their NICU is.

For the Mama that used Sugarland, story gets long when baby gets transferred. Its always better to use an hospital with Level 3 NICU in case. We don't pray that our babies go to NICU but lets be prepared.

hotD:
In d spirit of giving back,i used eastside medical centre,domt get me wrong...service is great and all but interms of charges,they are expensive and not honest.
Had two encounters now-i paid cash for ultrasound(150$),did it,when i went back for my next apointment the lady told me i was owning 214$,dat d ultrasound they did was more advanced...dats how i ended up paying extre 214$(i was never pre-informed about any advance ultra sound).
Secondly,baby was rushed to NICU,i got the billing for d number of nites-476$ for 4 nites,which i made payments for,only for them to send a bill of 2318$ to me and said baby service is not included(so another bill is coming for dat one)...i told dem to break down d bill let me see how it got to 2318 cause my baby stayed for 6 days and got the explaination dat the first bill payment they showed me was for normal baby(which normal baby goes to NICU for 4 nites)..so my babies own first day in NICU is 835$ and subsequent visit is 500$,dats wat brot it to 2318$.Am so pained at d level of cheating ehn but i dont want to accrue bill if not i would have just not answered them.d whites too are dishonest ppl.

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by BeckyU: 9:55pm On Sep 25, 2016
oluphilip2008:
Hello Nairalanders.
Pls I need information about western union or moneygram. What's the minimum amount I can send? I also understand that the rates are different across banks, which banks have the most reasonable rates?
Thanks for your help.
Well prior to my journey, I used Western Union and Moneygram to send cash to my friend here in Houston. Used Access Bank. I under U can only do a total of 1k in a quarter or N328k.I did one in my name and another in my hubby 's name. In total I was able to send about 1880 dollars at approx at the rate of 365.5 including charges. All you need to do is fill out the form and have someone to pick cash from the other side.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by oluphilip2008(f): 10:13pm On Sep 25, 2016
BeckyU:

Well prior to my journey, I used Western Union and Moneygram to send cash to my friend here in Houston. Used Access Bank. I under U can only do a total of 1k in a quarter or N328k.I did one in my name and another in my hubby 's name. In total I was able to send about 1880 dollars at approx at the rate of 365.5 including charges. All you need to do is fill out the form and have someone to pick cash from the other side.

@BeckyU, thanks a lot for the useful info. One more thing pls, can I do it at any bank or it has to be with the ones I have acct with?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by happytbaby: 10:19pm On Sep 25, 2016
@ Iyawotobe

I read your email, saw the plenty questions and ran away. I spend most of my day sleeping amidst been climbed, beaten, kissed by my energy capsule toddler. Will respond at some point.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by happytbaby: 10:22pm On Sep 25, 2016
In addition, First Bank and Skye Bank also do Moneygram. First Bank does WU too. Issue is that its first come first served everyday.

I have picked about 6 transfers from different friends. One person can only do one per quarter and you have to be an account holder.

oluphilip2008:

@BeckyU, thanks a lot for the useful info. One more thing pls, can I do it at any bank or it has to be with the ones I have acct with?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by bouqounmie(f): 10:36pm On Sep 25, 2016
Done

ijeomaobi1:
Chai.....

I used Methodist hospital. Heard gist about their NICU , so made thatv my prayer point that my baby will not enter there o. That Sarah for billing department will not smile with u. The package doesn't include NICU cos I specifically asked her.

Maybe u negotiate a payment plan if need be.

@happytbaby,

Abeg I pmd u. Na information for my colleague. She wants el Paso.

@bouquimni
Nairaland said na only one PM I can send so will appreciate if U for pm me. No vex Biko
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by bouqounmie(f): 10:46pm On Sep 25, 2016
The MEDIF form is required if u're traveling above 33wks for an uncomplicated singleton pregnancy, above 28wks for multiple pregnancy. And u're required to submit latest 48hrs before ur flight.
There's a fit to fly on their website that your doctor will sign if u're travelling before 33wks but they will still insist on port health fit to fly sha.
Had all three filled out (fit to fly from doc, medif and porthealth) and traveled at 32wks, but only d photocopies of d porthealth were collected and that was what i presented throughout my flight.
Hope this helps.

gold638:
Hello house. Pls, for those who have flown Qatar airways, where they strict on the fit to fly? If yes, was it the letter ftom your doctor or from port health that was requested? Also, the medif form on their site, was that useful?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by ebiv: 10:51pm On Sep 25, 2016
Hi, i dont knw hw to do pm o...
Just ask me here or send a mail.....Methodist is crazy with billing issues...

te author=ifyadajesus post=49645017]Hello house, please I need advise on something. I had my baby on the 31st of august at methodist sugarland. On the 1st they did the juandice test and said his bilubrin was high and that they will transfer him to another hospital. Now he was transferred that same first around 2pm after various plead on them to obeserve him since its jaundice. Now they have given us a bill of 2841.50 usd for spending 7 hrs in their nciu. They said they didn't have a level 2 nciu which is what they said he needed. How they arrived at this outrageous bill I don't know. We have requested for a breakdown, they said they won't give us as international patient. We are still battling with the hosppital the reffered us to with their own bills. Please can anyone advise us on how to go about this with methodist. [/quote]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by XX01(f): 10:58pm On Sep 25, 2016
ogbenyalu:
happy Sunday everyone.
@XX01 thanks for that info on diamond bank card rate, just wondering if it will remain at 356 am traveling soon. Pls what is the daily limit for ATM withdrawal in the US.

You know the rates keep changing. When I used it then, it was 350. But I heard it's now about 367. Not sure about the atm limits.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by mumnadine: 11:04pm On Sep 25, 2016
happytbaby:
In addition, First Bank and Skye Bank also do Moneygram. First Bank does WU too. Issue is that its first come first served everyday.

I have picked about 6 transfers from different friends. One person can only do one per quarter and you have to be an account holder.

you can send from diff banks more than once in a quarter was able to send from eco sky amd union just dont tell dem u have used other bank it will fly pls dat one per quarter na story.lol how will d kwn if u have done it else wre.

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by mumnadine: 11:05pm On Sep 25, 2016
happytbaby:

you can send from diff banks more than once in a quarter was able to send from eco sky and union just dont tell dem u have used other bank it will fly pls dat one per quarter na story.lol how will d kwn if u have done it else wre.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by jinglesbaby: 11:19pm On Sep 25, 2016
Hello house, who keeps deleting Eddy or Tanko's number? It was posted here some days ago and it aff disappia now! Please, could someborri kindly post it again? We need their digits, thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by XX01(f): 11:39pm On Sep 25, 2016
mumnadine:
you can send from diff banks more than once in a quarter was able to send from eco sky amd union just dont tell dem u have used other bank it will fly pls dat one per quarter na story.lol how will d kwn if u have done it else wre.

Were the rates same across the banks? When I tried to do mine, they said that it is not a calendar quarter. That a quarter starts counting from the last time you use their service. I have done less than 3 months ago. Didn't know I could try different banks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by mumnadine: 11:44pm On Sep 25, 2016
[quote author=XX01 post=49673449]

Were the rates same across the banks? When I tried to do mine, they said that it is not a calendar quarter. That a quarter starts counting from the last time you use their service. I have done less than 3 months ago. Didn't know I could try different banks. Yes d rates are same just dont tell dem u have done else wre
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by mumnadine: 11:48pm On Sep 25, 2016
[quote author=mumnadine post=49673528][/quote]yes the rates are same just dont tell dem u have done in another bank
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Dwebb55: 12:27am On Sep 26, 2016
gold638:
Hello house. Pls, for those who have flown Qatar airways, where they strict on the fit to fly? If yes, was it the letter ftom your doctor or from port health that was requested? Also, the medif form on their site, was that useful?

You'll most likely need all 3(fit to fly from Dr, filled medif form and port health). Note that you'll need to submit first 2, 48hrs prior to your departure and their calculation of weeks is different. For them 32 weeks is 31wks+1day, so be guided. You can't fly with them after 35 weeks ie 34wks+6days!

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by happytbaby: 1:18am On Sep 26, 2016
Thats true!

mumnadine:
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by ifyadajesus: 2:15am On Sep 26, 2016
ebiv:
Hi, i dont knw hw to do pm o...
Just ask me here or send a mail.....Methodist is crazy with billing issues...hello ebiv send me a mail on ifybens2002@yahoo.com so that we can chat pls
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by mabelkoko: 3:39am On Sep 26, 2016
hi nairalanders, my name is mabel koko. i am new and i must confess reading through all this post made it look like i have been here forever. i have few questions as regards givng birth in the us, and even after reading all my questions hasnt been answered as my situation is slightly different from what has been stated here. i am on a studnet visa here is australia and in the process of getting my permanet residence here. my self and hubby have always dreamed of giving birth to our child in a country where they would become automatic citizens, we tried everything posible to do that here but it didnt work as there is a criteria here that you must complete 2 years of study as part of their requirement for permanent resisdency so if i have to give birth here, the child would be on a visa like me so we go still dey same category. so we started thinking about US so atleast after all myself, hubby and pickin go come back here gather hustle for PR as we would have done even if we birth here.
So my people, how do i go about this o, as i cannot tell them at the embassy that health system here(australia) is bad as i would have done if i was applying from nigeria. although we planned going for my husbands best friends wedding in november but with what i have read here about not lying and being straightfoward to avoid future refusal, then i dont know what to do?
what hospitals are best to use as my husabnds friend stays in New Jersey?
how much will it cost?
how do i go about it in general ?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by IyawoToBe(f): 7:35am On Sep 26, 2016
happytbaby:
@ Iyawotobe

I read your email, saw the plenty questions and ran away. I spend most of my day sleeping amidst been climbed, beaten, kissed by my energy capsule toddler. Will respond at some point.
grin grin grin grin grin grin it's alright, take your time. I initially thought you didn't get it.

Thanks in anticipation kiss
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by adluv: 7:51am On Sep 26, 2016
Congratulations on ur smooth POE it's God, pls send ur email or pm me or better still email at adhezekiah@gmail.com I need some clarification from u plsssssss.

I'm sorry it took a while to share my own Point of Entry story. I travelled on Etihad and had a connecting flight at Abu Dhabi. Also, the Abudhabi airport has an alliance with the US Immigration system such that you are expected to meet the CBP officers before connecting to your US flight. Also, bear in mind that i travelled with my toddler son who is a Canadian Citizen. And i was 34 weeks old and wore a maternity winter Pea Coat.

So Please see below my conversation with the CBP Officer.

CBP Officer: How you Doing
Me: I'm Fine Thank You
CBP Officer: Can i have your Passports?
Me: Hands him me and my son's Passports
CBP Officer: Please Place your hands on the Scanner
Me: I did as asked
CBP Officer: Where's Your final destination?
Me: IAD in Washington
CBP Officer: Stamps our Passports till Marc 2017, hands them over to me and says "You folks enjoy your holiday"
Me: Was shocked at first that he didnt ask me what we were going to do in the US. I quickly gathered myself and tells him "Thank you".

I collected our Passports and briskly proceeded to the our connecting gate.

My sisters and brothers, na so God do am for me o. I was already over prepared with cash and documents, but i ended up not requiring them. All i can say is that it is the Hand of God at work.

I look forward to sharing my testimony of child birth and hospital fees too very soon by God's grace.

Goodluck to everyone. and remember, Prayer changes things!
[/quote]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by OmoBendel24: 8:58am On Sep 26, 2016
mumnadine:

This should be on Western Union I presume. On my last trip to the US in May, I did money gram with FCMB and Fidelity Bank before travelling. FCMB only allowed me do just $500 ($485 precisely), I had to go use fidelity Bank for more. However, in the course of transaction, I wanted to send the maximum $1000 from Fidelity Bank but it didn't go through on several attempts, and they just couldn't understand how. When asked if I had done elsewhere already I said yes to them but it was $485 I did as allowed by FCMB.

Immediately they reduced the figure to be sent to what was left of my quarterly allowance, it went through with just one try. I had to ask my wife to help use her account to help me send another $1000 ($970 precisely too) with her quarterly slot. When I pressed to know why I couldn't get to send with different banks, I was told it's BVN/CBN regulated. So, just wondering. Moneygram/Western Union dichotomy I believe!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by mumnadine: 9:18am On Sep 26, 2016
OmoBendel24:

This should be on Western Union I presume. On my last trip to the US in May, I did money gram with FCMB and Fidelity Bank before travelling. FCMB only allowed me do just $500 ($485 precisely), I had to go use fidelity Bank for more. However, in the course of transaction, I wanted to send the maximum $1000 from Fidelity Bank but it didn't go through on several attempts, and they just couldn't understand how. When asked if I had done elsewhere already I said yes to them but it was $485 I did as allowed by FCMB.

Immediately they reduced the figure to be sent to what was left of my quarterly allowance, it went through with just one try. I had to ask my wife to help use her account to help me send another $1000 ($970 precisely too) with her quarterly slot. When I pressed to know why I couldn't get to send with different banks, I was told it's BVN/CBN regulated. So, just wondering. Moneygram/Western Union dichotomy I believe!
is moneygram not western union why urs dint go is d cant send 1000 dollars at once dat was why it did not go in d 1st place and most branches have limit of how much the can send per day which d cant do more than dat maybe d did for others before u but i guess d problem was from d 1k d imputed
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by mumnadine: 9:27am On Sep 26, 2016
mumnadine:
is moneygram not western union why urs dint go is d cant send 1000 dollars at once dat was why it did not go in d 1st place and most branches have limit of how much the can send per day which d cant do more than dat maybe d did for others before u but i guess d problem was from d 1k d imputed
or maybe dre more serious wit d policy now
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by mumzt: 9:36am On Sep 26, 2016
OmoBendel24:

ering. Moneygram/Western Union dichotomy I believe!

Same wiv me. So I'm suprised she was able to do different banks. My sis works in a bank and she said no matter Wat bank or branch you use, u can't exceed ur limit.
Guess she was just lucky.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by OmoBendel24: 9:37am On Sep 26, 2016
mumnadine:

No ma, Moneygram isn't same as Western Union. $1000 is just the term used, the precise figure they input translates to $970 back then in reality. It couldn't have been about that figure but the BVN/CBN thingy IMO. Is it MG you did or WU? There lies the difference methinks, else I wouldn't just agree it is doable without restriction in terms of banks interrelatedness. Also, it's possible the time difference between when I did and when you guys did may be at play or something.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by mumnadine: 11:35am On Sep 26, 2016
OmoBendel24:

No ma, Moneygram isn't same as Western Union. $1000 is just the term used, the precise figure they input translates to $970 back then in reality. It couldn't have been about that figure but the BVN/CBN thingy IMO. Is it MG you did or WU? There lies the difference methinks, else I wouldn't just agree it is doable without restriction in terms of banks interrelatedness. Also, it's possible the time difference between when I did and when you guys did may be at play or something.
kk maybe
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Posh404: 12:06pm On Sep 26, 2016
......and i was hoping i will ignore the one from my dr and just go along with port health own and the medif form...15k for just fit to fly from my hospital is so outrageous.

Dwebb55:

You'll most likely need all 3(fit to fly from Dr, filled medif form and port health). Note that you'll need to submit first 2, 48hrs prior to your departure and their calculation of weeks is different. For them 32 weeks is 31wks+1day, so be guided. You can't fly with them after 35 weeks ie 34wks+6days!

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by debby516(f): 12:09pm On Sep 26, 2016
Hello my people, for those who who have flown with Emirates to Houston through Dubai, pls did u request for a wheel chair? I also understand that i need all try types of fit to fly, Dr's own, d one on emirates website and d one from Port health. Pls confirm if my understanding is correct? Thank you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by leleti: 12:29pm On Sep 26, 2016
Hello good people.so I apologise for my recent silence.especially after you all were so kind in your replies to me after I posted my broken leg dilemma. E mabinu brothers and sisters.So, quick recap- planned my trip to LA, sorted out Dr, hospital and accommodation, and then, a week to ttravel date, fell and broke my leg.Understandably, hubby and I were confused. Hubby put his foot down and cancelled the trip.Had to go on admission, with a full leg cast. After series of talks with both our parents, we decided to follow through with our plans.Cancelled our LA plans, and faced atlanta because DO has family there and I'm practically a toddler right now so need all the support I can get. Shifted my turkish airline flight to NY by a week.Thought of cancelling it and booking atlanta direct but the costs were crazy. Had to book a ticket for one of DH's aunts to accompany me.was meant to be my sister but she couldn't come cos she has exams. Had to scrap my toddlers trip altogether.i can't take care of her right now.
It was the craziest trip planning I've ever seen.everything was spur of the moment. I was discharged a day before my flight.Got home and slept.Hubby and my LO's nanny completed my packing. Next day, my customised wheelchair and walking frame got delivered.Chilled with my baby and tried to explain to her toddler brain why mummy would not be around for a while. Went to the hospital by 3, picked up med report and fit to fly, doc tors made some final, painful adjustments to my cast and we headed to the airport.We had booked wheelchair assistance on all my flights but I have really long legs and the right one has to be supported so I brought my customised chair and the assistance people used that.
I'm really not showing that much, and seated in a wheelchair, most people didn't see the belle.everybody saw the leg though.It shifted people's focus. No fit to fly was asked for.Flight was looooooooooooooong. Flight attendnts were not so nice.had to toughen my voice to get what i wanted sometimes.used a cabin wheelchair to the loo once on both journeys.very uncomfortable cos those toilets are tiny and im long.drank lots of coke instead of water-i dont wee much with coke.had a full row of seats on both legs but I guess there is no comfortable way to fly with a broken leg and no painkillers.the no painkillers part is because of the belle.fear no gree me take anything stronger than paracetamol.even my Dr's gave me pentazocine injection for 2 days after the fracture and then when fetal HR went up jejely changed to only paracetamol after.
Anyway, fast forward to POE. wheelchair assistance guy was on point.truthfully, they all were, from prayers, to buying me water, to giving me phone to make calls, everybody was super nice.Got to CBP. My aunt held our documents so stood beside me.I held my bag on my lap and so I wasn't showing at all and I knew this
CBP: what's a pretty girl like you doing in a chair like that
Me - smiling....Salsa dancing
CBP- laughs.so what brings you to new york?
My aunt- we are here on holiday.
And that was when it occurred to me, that in the craziness of the whole trip, my aunt and I had not discussed this.we did not plan what we would say.AT ALL.
Me- she's here on holiday.im here to have my baby
My aunt- looks at me like I am the most stupid child on earth- we are here on holiday.she is not here to have her baby
CBP- looking confused.....what's going on? Turns to me....you married?
Me- duh.....yes.3 years now
CBP- and you are pregnant
Me- yes
CBP- and you want to have your baby here
Me- yes
CBP- you can't do that.now looking angry
Me- I informed your embassy.its not illegal
CBP- ok. Stamps us both in, gives my aunt her passport, tells me to follow him.my aunt looked at me like she wanted to strangle me.the wheelchair guy kept saying you shouldn't have said that, you shouldn't have said that.i was suddenly very very calm.
We walked into what looked like a police station you see in the movies.he dropped my passport in a file, gave it to another officer.We waited 2 mind, the wheelchair guy was more scared than I was.then he called me
CBP- hello.accident?
Me - I fell
CBP- sorry about that.when last were you in the United States? Told him. I see you are a doctor. How does it feel to be a Dr with a broken leg?
Me- laughing.....feels just as bad
CBP- laughs.ok ma'am. Enjoy your stay and take care of that leg.
Me- thank you.got wheeled out.wheelchair guy was really happy.met my aunt outside, told her sorry I shld have told her what I planned to say.no agric. Wheeled me and our bags to delta, waited for our atlanta flight.Now chilling in my hubby's aunts place and being pampered with plenty food.seeing Dr andrews 2mrw.
Thank you everyone.so very very grateful for this forum.really sorry for the long post too. xoxo

54 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by YoungMetrosG(f): 12:55pm On Sep 26, 2016
@leleti Your poe account made me laugh, especially your aunt's reaction. Sorry about your leg. Hope everything else goes great.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by TripleKMama: 2:38pm On Sep 26, 2016
See drama! Shuo. Congrats @leleti and have a safe delivery.
YoungMetrosG:
@leleti Your poe account made me laugh, especially your aunt's reaction. Sorry about your leg. Hope everything else goes great.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) (357) (358) ... (405)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Polish Student Visa / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.