Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? (2078 Views)

The Reality About Kazakhstan And Warning To Nigerians / Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home / Lady Bows Down After Returning From Libya With Other Stranded Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by RELEASEUS: 7:52pm On Apr 01, 2016
There are many Nigerians who live abroad and I happen to be one of them. I would want to indulge mature minds on the question of returning home to invest.
A sizable number of folks who have made some money over the years of toiling in a foreign land have never had it so difficult in deciding what to do as per returning home to start up a farm or a school or a small factory or just anything to help his or her community in employment and generating source of living.
Our dear country has become so difficult that virtually nothing works.
Let's say I want to return home to start a farm for example, will the dreaded fulani herds men and their cows not come and trespass my farm and possibly kill me and my family one day? Then where is the power to keep production running in a mechanized farm setting? Security from kidnappers or robbers is also what most of us dread the most. A whole colonel was kidnapped and killed just like that in my dear country, we still have not heard that suspects have been rounded up and investigations are ongoing as to bring the culprits to book-I am even talking about this as if any such cases have ever been resolved in the history of Nigeria.
You pay taxes in Nigeria yet you are basically your own government as you provide virtually everything from housing to education to medication to security to electricity and everything for yourself. When I visited home last I was at home one day when there was a knock on my door that all landords and tenants are to contribute to buy a transformer to replace the faulty one, I just shook my head and told them to come back later that day. just imagine that.
People on twitter and NL fight between themselves because of affiliation to PMB and GEJ, APC and PDP. See what transpired in a small election in Rivers the other day. From the way these politicians have reduced the Nigerian youth of today to ewarriors to hate and abuse each other online is pitiable.
We need to stand up and fight for our country and children otherwise they will not have a country to call theirs tomorrow.
OBJ recruited sound technocrats in his government if we can remember, can someone please tell me what someone like Audu Ogbe is doing in the Agricultural ministry when GEJ appointed a sound Adesina we all saw what he was able to achieve in his time. Audu Ogbe is advising PMB to import grass from Brazil when we have millions of hectares of land in Nigeria. SMH.
My people please let's call it a day for these old timers and take the bull by the horns. Tinubu, Sarai, OBJ, PMP, GEJ, Ameachi, Lai, Audu, and all of them that have been in the corridors of power for the last 16 years should pack out an go by 2019. Let's not allow them rule us again. They have ruined our future and that of our children.
Don't go out and vote when the time comes if these same people are running for office.
See our country na. with all the billions of dollars we have and generate we don't have common light that other countries see as nothing. We can't manage to generate power for domestic and industrial uses, is it nuclear energy that we can manage? PMP has no business attending that summit in the US.
Nothing works in my country and I am sad.

4 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by Originalsly: 1:41am On Apr 02, 2016
My view is that when someone spends years and years abroad they become out of touch with the reality on ground here in Nigeria. Reading about what is happening and listening to people gives you limited insight. If you need to remigrate then you should be returning often over a period of I'll say at least 3 years to get up to speed with how things really work...to establish friends and connections and really assess if your project is worth pursuing.

4 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by tpiah01: 1:45am On Apr 02, 2016
Expect a lot of hostility (overt and covert) from people who resent your return (you dont have to offend anyone to get this, it comes naturally).

And yes, news of your activities overseas will have preceded you to Nigeria. Doesnt matter if you believe that or not.

Be careful with business investments, as far as I know. Always be ready to return overseas after a while unless you want to just grit your teeth and bear it.

If you are the wayward type or thuggish type already, you might get a niche somewhere by brute strength or ability to knock people's heads together so they face themselves instead of you, but if you are a gentle type, it will take God oh.

If you dont have money, everything I typed times maybe 10 or higher?

Um, beware of sickness, intentionally induced or otherwise.

1 Like

Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by RELEASEUS: 5:51am On Apr 02, 2016
Originalsly:
My view is that when someone spends years and years abroad they become out of touch with the reality on ground here in Nigeria. Reading about what is happening and listening to people gives you limited insight. If you need to remigrate then you should be returning often over a period of I'll say at least 3 years to get up to speed with how things really work...to establish friends and connections and really assess if your project is worth pursuing.
I get your point but we are not out of touch because we know for a fact that there is no power and security. It's what we fear most my brother, security. people can harm you physically by robbing and spiritually from family and 'friends'.

1 Like

Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by justwise(m): 6:45am On Apr 02, 2016
RELEASEUS:
I get your point but we are not out of touch because we know for a fact that there is no power and security. It's what we fear most my brother, security. people can harm you physically by robbing and spiritually from family and 'friends' .

How?

2 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by Nobody: 6:54am On Apr 02, 2016
its a terrible situation that my generation is witnessing

1 Like

Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by ifyalways(f): 7:02am On Apr 02, 2016
I love the latter parts of your opening post @ OP. So Audu Ogbeh, as in the very former PDP chieftain, is the new minister of Agriculture shocked cry

Let me not turn this thread to a political discussion.

As per topic,coming home to settle and invest now is dicey. I'd say, visit for short periods first (2 to 4 months stay at a time). You need to study the 9ja system and be sure you can deal with it.

2 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by RELEASEUS: 7:23am On Apr 02, 2016
justwise:

How?
Jokingly, don't you watch Nigerian film? seriously, their are people who do fetish stuff to ruin someone and most times they are people within your extended family or 'friends'
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by RELEASEUS: 7:27am On Apr 02, 2016
ifyalways:
I love the latter parts of your opening post @ OP. So Audu Ogbeh, as in the very former PDP chieftain, is the new minister of Agriculture shocked cry

Let me not turn this thread to a political discussion.

As per topic,coming home to settle and invest now is dicey. I'd say, visit for short periods first (2 to 4 months stay at a time). You need to study the 9ja system and be sure you can deal with it.
Sorry I muddled up the whole thing but, the fact is we are in trouble, it has never been this bad that we can't tell what our tomorrow as Nigerians will be like. As for Audu Ogbe, yes he is our agric minister.
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by RENOWNED2(m): 7:53am On Apr 02, 2016
RELEASEUS:
Jokingly, don't you watch Nigerian film? seriously, their are people who do fetish stuff to ruin someone and most times they are people within your extended family or 'friends'
haha...you are lost bro....wanted to contribut but op just changed my mind.
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by layzie: 8:17am On Apr 02, 2016
Originalsly:

Op: the advise above makes sense, u shud explore that option...

@ u fears abt jazz: stop watching nollywood, unless u can show me one person u kno personally that jazz affected and of course u have to prove that it's jazz that affected him.

1 Like

Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by RELEASEUS: 8:25am On Apr 02, 2016
RENOWNED2:
haha...you are lost bro....wanted to contribut but op just changed my mind.
It's up to you to if to contribute or not. No one will careless. If it has not happened to you of course you wouldn't know how it feels. Thanks all the same. I m here not lost.
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by justwise(m): 8:32am On Apr 02, 2016
RELEASEUS:

I'm so disappointed to read that from you, so you do believe in such fetish nonsense?
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by RENOWNED2(m): 8:39am On Apr 02, 2016
RELEASEUS:
It's up to you to if to contribute or not. No one will careless. If it has not happened to you of course you wouldn't know how it feels. Thanks all the same. I m here not lost.
take it from me bro,you are lost...i wont explain further....Try not to quote me.
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by RELEASEUS: 9:27am On Apr 02, 2016
RENOWNED2:
take it from me bro,you are lost...i wont explain further....Try not to quote me.
Please find me...since you have become assistant god.
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by RELEASEUS: 9:30am On Apr 02, 2016
justwise:
[/b]

I'm so disappointed to read that from you, so you do believe in such fetish nonsense?
Don't be disappointed. Believe it or not it exists. That dosent mean it's insomountable.
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by justwise(m): 9:32am On Apr 02, 2016
RELEASEUS:
Don't be disappointed. Believe it or not it exists. That dosent mean it's insomountable.

It doesn't exist. Nobody is capable of harming you spiritually.
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by Originalsly: 11:47am On Apr 02, 2016
RELEASEUS:
I get your point but we are not out of touch because we know for a fact that there is no power and security. It's what we fear most my brother, security. people can harm you physically by robbing and spiritually from family and 'friends'.
After reading this....my advice to you is to abandon the thought of remigrating .....present day Nigeria is not for the timid nor the superstitious. You do not have the mental fortitude to live a simple life in a city nor village much less to establish a successful business. Settle for short vacations when you can reminisce. .... get your fill of authentic palm wine and fresh bush meat... and before the predators or witches can swoop down on you...you'd be already long gone back to your ehmmm....Stepfatherland.

4 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Apr 02, 2016
I don't understand what this post is about.
All I hear is a rant.

So those 140million that are still here witch don chop us finish.

We are finished you say yet a man in Nigeria started NL and it still functions today so much so you can send posts here.

Someone gave you good advice visit more often so you can know the reality on ground before you return. You said no you already know the reality on ground by the things you have heard read and lest I forget 'watched' in Nigerian films. You don't know anything for a fact till you live here.

So why are you here creating a thread to whine.
Nigeria no good...no wahala then invest your time and money where you are and stop looking back.

3 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by tpiah01: 4:25pm On Apr 03, 2016
justwise:

It doesn't exist. Nobody is capable of harming you spiritually.

Anybody is capable of harming anyone spiritually.
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by tpiah01: 4:25pm On Apr 03, 2016
justwise:

Yes.
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by tpiah01: 4:26pm On Apr 03, 2016
RELEASEUS:

You are right.
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by tpiah01: 4:37pm On Apr 03, 2016
@ topic

Security is one of the biggest problems.
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by N101: 5:00pm On Apr 03, 2016
I've never seen the reality of "jazz" (an insult to the word) on the ground, just heard story story. And the people who were claiming "jazz", when you looked closer they were part of the problem. If you believe so much in it, trust me it will get you at every turn.

Best advice I've ever heard? Go to Nigeria with a plan, and rely as little as possible on other people. Survey the ground to see how your plan can be implemented and be aware of the obstacles - there wil be many and they will try you. As others have said, be wary as a lot of people will be hostile towards you, both family and "friends".

Even with all of the cr*p that happens, there are some good people with good hearts out there.
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by worry359(m): 6:11pm On Apr 03, 2016
N101:
Best advice I've ever heard? Go to Nigeria with a plan, and rely as little as possible on other people. Survey the ground to see how your plan can be implemented and be aware of the obstacles - there wil be many and they will try you. As others have said, be wary as a lot of people will be hostile towards you, both family and "friends".

The opposite is also true.
There will be many people (and relations) that want to be your friend
That is while they think that you have money. See where these fair weather friends go if you have problems! shocked shocked shocked
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by justwise(m): 7:46pm On Apr 03, 2016
tpiah01:

Anybody is capable of harming anyone spiritually.

Thanks for the joke
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by justwise(m): 7:48pm On Apr 03, 2016
N101:
I've never seen the reality of "jazz" (an insult to the word) on the ground, just heard story story. And the people who were claiming "jazz", when you looked closer they were part of the problem. If you believe so much in it, trust me it will get you at every turn

Even with all of the cr*p that happens, there are some good people with good hearts out there.

Don't mind them. When things goes wrong people start looking for who to blame rather looking for realistic solution.
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by diportivo: 8:08pm On Apr 03, 2016
OP

U r not based in naija....u complained about ppl fighting demselves in twitter

And den go on to start talking abt the appointments a former president made,and the one the current president has made

It means if u started this on twitter,u wld be fighting someone......u dont av to be based in naija to be fighting for politicians on twitter....bottomline

If u wanna relocate,dont just pack up ur bags and leave whr u are

Form d habit of coming often....and den see if ur body can adjust

Pls,must it be farm?this one u av started dreaming of fulani herdsmen
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by henroo5: 6:38am On Apr 07, 2016
RELEASEUS:
. Nigeria is not as bad as you think, for our leaders, if you want to succeed dont have them in mind, i came backe april last year,after spending 6 years outside the country.it wosnt earsy for me but.i think am okay now before starting any busnes i got a job myself first .lecturing job from their i startd my litle busnes whch is moving.i followd the system ,i bought a smal i pass my neigbour etc.dont gve anybody the impression that you just came back.if police stops you while driving give them 50 naira and go your way.dont involve in argument with them,or else they can even fire you and nothng happends.then be friendly to people orda wise they wil be agresive and then go to juju 4 u,and dnt take advice frm anybody in terms of busness, just come back and study the ground,get yourself a job no matter how smal then you are good to go.Ngeria is a nice place i sleep and wake up anytme i like,i do anythng i want,etc. Unlike when i do work 16 hours daily in saudi arabia,

2 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by Pennsylvania: 6:55am On Apr 07, 2016
I'll have to agree with the first poster....you can't just live 20years abroad and decide one day to pack your bags and come back to Nigeria to invest, you must have been coming frequently - say every two to three years to see how things are and also make up your mind on the kind of business that will suit you and the environment you're going to stay. No matter how things are in Nigeria, is still our home and ours to develop.
One more question to the OP: don't you have families and friends over here who can keep you abreast on the situation of things in your locality which you might want to settle your business into?
I'll say communication is the key.....keeping in touch with families and friends over here is a surer bet than believing everything you read online. Cos in that way, you'll have a good insight as to what to expect when coming.
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by Ademat7(m): 3:40pm On Apr 07, 2016
henroo5 HV done a good analysis, however OP face ur fear ehn start by stating the area u wish to invest then we start from there.
once again I like ur patriotic spirit, when u taste good governance u will hate ur nation but u still love naija
Re: The Reality Of Returning Home- As As How? by henroo5: 7:14pm On Apr 07, 2016
Ademat7:
henroo5 HV done a good analysis, however OP face ur fear ehn start by stating the area u wish to invest then we start from there.
once again I like ur patriotic spirit, when u taste good governance u will hate ur nation but u still love naija
. Bro must confess to you, no place like home, for the fact you are not coming back empty handed you are the boss, you can even fix your money with one of the bank.and every month you take your intrest,that can even serve as your salary while you relax.because working abroad is not easy,after sufering all these years.you can come back and relax,and enjoy,chikina

(1) (2) (Reply)

Residents Jubilate As First Passenger Train Arrives Delta State. Photos / See How Nigerians Seek Asyllum Under Harsh Conditions In South Africa (photos) / What Is 404 And Why In God's Name Do People Eat It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.