Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,555 members, 7,801,564 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

Dialectics Of Violence And Morality - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Dialectics Of Violence And Morality (32086 Views)

Atheists And Morality. A Question! / Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality / Dialectics Or How To Debate (very Important For Both Theists And Non-theist) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by Joshthefirst(m): 4:58pm On Apr 03, 2016
Kay17:

What is the difference between the objective standard and subjective standard?
An objective standard is unchanging. It remains the same irrespective of what we think or say or do.

A subjective standard is only made up for convenience of its proponent.
Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by Joshthefirst(m): 5:00pm On Apr 03, 2016
Joshthefirst:
My God never gave the order to rape anyone. So your question is invalid.

But to continue the discourse, I base my moral standards on the biblical law.

Now here's my question: By what standard do you base rape wrong? Or one reasonable or unreasonable? Wrt his opinion on rape?

No more evading please.
Answer the question thehomer
Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:01pm On Apr 03, 2016
plaetton:

Interesting.

There is indeed a Boko haram in all of us, especially the followers of abrahamic religions.

Knee-jerk response - in its actual sense .

We have a new covenant with God through Christ . Such happened during that dispensation and is not obtainable now .
Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by plaetton: 5:07pm On Apr 03, 2016
Joshthefirst:
Saving girls who had never slept with a man does not mean those girls would be raped. Rape was a crime punishable by death in Israel.

And Mary never gave her consent? Really? Even when she said "let it be unto me as thou has said"?

Just look at this moral schizophrenic.

He now wants to play on the word " to save" .

Saving virgins for oneself means what it means, ..for one's edification and enjoyment, obviously without the consent of the virgin victim or victims.

Again you lie Josh.

Rappists were required to marry their victims.

That is hardly a disincentive to rape.

2 Likes

Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by plaetton: 5:08pm On Apr 03, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Knee-jerk response - in its actual sense .

We have a new covenant with God through Christ . Such happened during that dispensation and is not obtainable now .

In other words, God and his morality went through a transformation, a repentance, being born anew with the new covenant.
Right sir?

2 Likes

Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by Joshthefirst(m): 5:13pm On Apr 03, 2016
plaetton:

Just look at this moral schizophrenic.

He now wants to play on the word " to save" .

Saving virgins for oneself means what it means, ..for one's edification and enjoyment, obviously without the consent of the virgin victim or victims.

Again you lie Josh.

Rappists were required to marry their victims.

That is hardly a disincentive to rape.

...Critics of the Bible are quick to point to Numbers 31 (and other similar passages) in which the Israelites were allowed to take female captives from nations they conquered. Critics make the accusation that this is an example of the Bible condoning, or even promoting, rape. However, the passage says nothing about raping the captive women. It is wrong to assume that the captive women were to be raped. Again, Deuteronomy 22:25-27 condemns rape, even advocating the death penalty for perpetrators of rape. In the Numbers 31 passage the soldiers were commanded to purify themselves and their captives (verse 19). Rape would have violated this command (see Leviticus 15:16-18). The women who were taken captive are never referred to as sexual objects. Did the captive women likely eventually marry amongst the Israelites? Yes. Is there any indication that rape or sex slavery was forced upon the women? Absolutely not.

Source
Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by Joshthefirst(m): 5:22pm On Apr 03, 2016
plaetton:

Did your Yahweh not command Saul to completely destroy the Amalekites,not to leave anything alive, especially the women and children ?

Now please try to justify it, and then tell me in what ways you are different from Boko haram and ISIS in terms of your mindset.

The Amalekites’ unrelenting brutality toward the Israelites began with an attack at Rephidim (Exodus 17:8–13). This is recounted in Deuteronomy 25:17–19 with this admonition: “Remember what the Amalekites did to you along the way when you came out of Egypt. When you were weary and worn out, they met you on your journey and attacked all who were lagging behind [typically women and children]: they had no fear of God. When the LORD your God gives you rest from all the enemies around you in the land he is giving you to possess as an inheritance, you shall blot out the name of Amalek from under heaven. Do not forget!”

source
Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:22pm On Apr 03, 2016
plaetton:

In other words, God and his morality went through a transformation, a repentance, being born anew with the new covenant.
Right sir?

You are missing the point here . The wages of Sin still remains death - no eternal life of peace and Joy with God and a separation from a separation of soul and body from God - and Christ's death and shed blood came to replace the sacrifices of animals or death by your own blood .

The purpose is for Man and has nothing to do with God's behavior
Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by plaetton: 5:23pm On Apr 03, 2016
Joshthefirst:

Source

Oh gosh,

It's just hard to believe sometimes that actually discuss and debate with moral schizophrenics who would twist anything to justify self evident evil.
Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by plaetton: 5:25pm On Apr 03, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

You are missing the point here . The wages of Sin still remains death - no eternal life of peace and Joy with God and a separation from a separation of soul and body from God - and Christ's death and shed blood came to replace the sacrifices of animals or death by your own blood .

The purpose is for Man and has nothing to do with God's behavior

I think you're still confused and living in denial.

Yahweh was bad and evil.
Jesus came to do a makeover.
Then Yahweh repented and became a good loving god.
Not so?

1 Like

Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:27pm On Apr 03, 2016
plaetton:

Oh gosh,

It's just hard to believe sometimes that actually discuss and debate with moral schizophrenics who would twist anything to justify self evident evil.

As an atheist how is that evil . Which moral law to guide you? Plus you believe that evolution is cruel and life is prolonged for whosoever is fit enough . So what guides your morality ?

Let me answer the question for you .

Religion . As a former Christian , your religious foundation laid was your guide to discern between right or wrong . True or true ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by Joshthefirst(m): 5:31pm On Apr 03, 2016
plaetton:

Oh gosh,

You've betrayed yourself.

Evil and good are self-evident. Inspite of your hypocritical statements otherwise.

Evil and good are self-evident in our consciousness because there exists a moral law-giver.
This moral lawgiver is God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:31pm On Apr 03, 2016
plaetton:

I think you're still confused and living in denial.

Yahweh was bad and evil.
Jesus came to do a makeover.
Then Yahweh repented and became a good loving god.
Not so?

You are disingenuous here . You understand what I'm saying . The penalty for depravities has been death and its still is .

The so called genocide was the penalty of their sin - idolatry , fornication etc . The Sinners will be in Hell for eternity = separation of soul and body from God = death .

1 Like

Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by plaetton: 5:38pm On Apr 03, 2016
Joshthefirst:
You've betrayed yourself.

Evil and good are self-evident. Inspite of your hypocritical statements otherwise.

Evil and good are self-evident in our consciousness because there exists a moral law-giver.
This moral lawgiver is God.

If God is the moral law giver, and the Bible clearly shows us God's moral thresholds, re: the promotion of covetousness, looting, rape and genocide.
Now then , can you say that ISIS, Boko haram, AL queda, etc are simply promoting God's morality ?
Can you not see them as evangelists, promoting the morality of god ?

1 Like

Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by plaetton: 5:43pm On Apr 03, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Religion . As a former Christian , your religious foundation laid was your guide to discern between right or wrong . True or true ?

No, slowpoke.

The norms of my society existed long before the advent of Christianity on African soil.

Infact, as a child, the schizophrenic nature of Christian morality was one the key reasons that I had always found Christianity suspect, a religion that made no sense whatsoever.

1 Like

Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by Kay17: 5:44pm On Apr 03, 2016
Joshthefirst:
Are you a moral relativist?

Morality is like the elephant which was examined by the blind men.

1 Like

Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by Joshthefirst(m): 5:45pm On Apr 03, 2016
plaetton:

If God is the moral law giver, and the Bible clearly shows us God's moral thresholds, re: the promotion of covetousness, looting, rape and genocide.
Why do you now say if?

As for the bolded, The bible clearly shows us God's supremacy in his issuing of the ten commandments, the law, and in his justice of the nations.

It doesn't matter if you choose to deny this, as by your statement of the self evidence of good and evil, you have finally stated your true position on morality, and I'm glad to say its the right one.
Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by thehomer: 5:46pm On Apr 03, 2016
Joshthefirst:
Saving girls who had never slept with a man does not mean those girls would be raped. Rape was a crime punishable by death in Israel.

What do you think it meant? Rape of women captured during war wasn't.

Joshthefirst:

And Mary never gave her consent? Really? Even when she said "let it be unto me as thou has said"?

Okay. She gave her consent but it appears that she did so because she was a female slave.

1 Like

Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by Joshthefirst(m): 5:47pm On Apr 03, 2016
Kay17:

Morality is like the elephant which was examined by the blind men.
So you have yet to understand your position on the nature of morality?
Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by thehomer: 5:47pm On Apr 03, 2016
Joshthefirst:
Coming from a man who can't tell by what standard he calls an act right and another wrong. How convenient.

I told you. Besides at the very least, I know that genocide is wrong. You don't. And that makes you morally bankrupt.
Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by thehomer: 5:49pm On Apr 03, 2016
Joshthefirst:
Answer the question thehomer

I answered the question. You never answered mine with respect to rape. What are you afraid of?
Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by Joshthefirst(m): 5:52pm On Apr 03, 2016
thehomer:

What do you think it meant? Rape of women captured during war wasn't.

Okay. She gave her consent but it appears that she did so because she was a female slave.
Very funny.

thehomer:

I told you. Besides at the very least, I know that genocide is wrong. You don't. And that makes you morally bankrupt.
No, you did not really tell me, you only gave an ambiguous statement.

But from what you say now, I suspect you go in the way of plaetton and finally accede the self evidence of good and evil. Nice. wiegraf is next. I hope deepsight gets hope and happiness in seeing his boys finally embrace truth.
Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by plaetton: 5:53pm On Apr 03, 2016
Joshthefirst:
Why do you now say if?

As for the bolded, The bible clearly shows us God's supremacy in his issuing of the ten commandments, the law, and in his justice of the nations.

It doesn't matter if you choose to deny this, as by your statement of the self evidence of good and evil, you have finally stated your true position on morality, and I'm glad to say its the right one.

Even in the so called 10 commandments, Yahweh is later found wanting, unable to uphold his own moral laws.
He encourages killing, lying, covetousness, envy, jealousy, stealing , looting and genocide.

Moral schizophrenia.
Now , the question is ;
Is God really schizophrenic ,
or ,
Did man, people like Joshthefirst, kingebukasblog, etc, CREATE God with all their own errors and all their own moral contradictions ?

I am inclined to accept the latter as being the truth.

3 Likes

Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by Kay17: 5:53pm On Apr 03, 2016
Joshthefirst:
An objective standard is unchanging. It remains the same irrespective of what we think or say or do.

A subjective standard is only made up for convenience of its proponent.

To my understanding, objective standard is self evident and present independent of any agent. Whilst a subjective standard is dependent on an agent not necessarily for it's convenience.

3 Likes

Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by Kay17: 5:55pm On Apr 03, 2016
Joshthefirst:
So you have yet to understand your position on the nature of morality?

Not necessarily.
Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by plaetton: 5:57pm On Apr 03, 2016
Joshthefirst:
Very funny.

No, you did not really tell me, you only gave an ambiguous statement.

But from what you say now, I suspect you go in the way of plaetton and finally accede the self evidence of good and evil. Nice. wiegraf is next. I hope deepsight gets hope and happiness in seeing his boys finally embrace truth.

Listen slowpoke,

I never ever acceded the self evidence of good and evil.
Go back and read my post with better comprehension skills.

I was merely and clearly reminding you that the evil and morally reprehensible acts of Yahweh and his agents are clearly self evident in your Bible.
Do you understand that ?

1 Like

Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:58pm On Apr 03, 2016
plaetton:

No, slowpoke.

The norms of my society existed long before the advent of Christianity on African soil.

So who set these norms and what make them actually right . People praised Mao for killing millions for good , some see him as a hero - this happened during the Great Leap Forward Campaign .

Infact, as a child, the schizophrenic nature of Christian morality was one the key reasons that I had always found Christianity suspect, a religion that made no sense whatsoever.

You mean to love one another and shunning evil made no sense ?
Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by Joshthefirst(m): 5:59pm On Apr 03, 2016
Kay17:

To my understanding, objective standard is self evident and present independent of any agent. Whilst a subjective standard is dependent on an agent not necessarily for it's convenience.
I agree with the bolded.

The opinion of the Nazi's that the millions of jews they killed were less than human was subjective. The opinion that they were superior to other peoples was subjective.

It is an objective truth that leads you to realize that they were wrong
Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:00pm On Apr 03, 2016
plaetton:

Even in the so called 10 commandments, Yahweh is later found wanting, unable to uphold his own moral laws.
He encourages killing, lying, covetousness, envy, jealousy, stealing , looting and genocide.

Moral schizophrenia.
Now , the question is ;
Is God really schizophrenic ,
or ,
Did man, people like Joshthefirst, kingebukasblog, etc, CREATE God with all their own errors and all their own moral contradictions ?

You make blatant claims without any proof .
Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:10pm On Apr 03, 2016
plaetton:

Let me break it down .

Parents and kids

Authoritarians can give their kids strict laws which they must adhere to .

"No one leaves the house by 8 "

So if the parents should leave the house by 8 then they are not obedient ? Or recalcitrant .

Understand that God is an embodiment of moral good - he gives the laws and is not subject to the laws . His acts are justified

So I ask , is a parent wrong when he leaves his own house by 8 ?

cc : Kay17 , PastorAIO

1 Like

Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by Kay17: 6:19pm On Apr 03, 2016
Joshthefirst:
I agree with the bolded.

The opinion of the Nazi's that the millions of jews they killed were less than human was subjective. The opinion that they were superior to other peoples was subjective.

It is an objective truth that leads you to realize that they were wrong

I don't think the Nazis supported subjective standard of morality, rather a naturalist morality proving their racial superiority against other races like Jews. Their naturalist morality was supposed objective otherwise it fell apart.

So what an objective standard entails can still differ depending on the respective perspectives.

1 Like

Re: Dialectics Of Violence And Morality by Joshthefirst(m): 6:20pm On Apr 03, 2016
plaetton:

Listen slowpoke,

I never ever acceded the self evidence of good and evil.
Go back and read my post with better comprehension skills.

I was merely and clearly reminding you that the evil and morally reprehensible acts of Yahweh and his agents are clearly self evident in your Bible.
Do you understand that ?
I of course expected this turn of events. Unfortunately your confession is open to all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Russia Considers A Ban On Adventist Church As Over 12Million Sign Petition / Stop The Killings - Pope Francis Tells Buhari / Noise Pollution: Man Storms Neighboring Church With His Dogs To Warn Them (vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.