Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,806 members, 7,802,574 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:35 PM

PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. (3074 Views)

Conversation About A Dog & Water Between My Daughter & Girl That Stays With Me / My Wife Masturbates, I Caught My Daughter Masturbating 3 Times – Man Tells Court / I Can’t Hold Back Sexual Urge Towards My Daughter – Widower Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by teekay213(m): 9:37pm On Apr 02, 2016
i have an eight years old daughter that doesn't eat most of the food we cook like porridge,semo,amala,beans,etc she only eat selected food like rice or noodles and some weak food like cereals and it's also problem for my wife cooking her food seperately.what surprise me is her brother we both raise together eat all the meals we prepare.pls how can we make her eat all these food?
Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by zaynie(f): 9:48pm On Apr 02, 2016
Is she allergic to the foods?

If she isnt, you may want to take a strong stance and insist.

3 Likes

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by teekay213(m): 10:06pm On Apr 02, 2016
zaynie:
Is she allergic to the foods?

If she isnt, you may want to take a strong stance and insist.
no she is not.she vomits if we insist.thanks.
Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by mysticgal(f): 10:11pm On Apr 02, 2016
Op, I don't think you can force her to eat such foods, rather incorporate those foods she likes into the family's menu or mix the ones she likes and the one she dislike, for example, mixing beans and rice or noodles

3 Likes

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by Nobody: 10:15pm On Apr 02, 2016
Kids go through phases. My eldest daughter is a fussy eater, so is my son. The foods my daughter won't eat change, some of the ones she wouldn't eat when she was younger, she's happy to eat today, and vice versa.

Don't force your child to eat foods they're not happy with. It could be a phase, they may not like the taste, or worse still, they may be allergic to certain ingredients, have an intolerance to some components of a meal. Without having your child accessed by a nutritionist, it is NOT wise to force these meals on them, you could make them ill.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by jopretty(f): 10:15pm On Apr 02, 2016
Can she spend 2 weeks with me? I assure you she'll prefer poundie and ofe owerri when she returns..lol

4 Likes

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by Nobody: 10:20pm On Apr 02, 2016
teekay213:
no she is not.she vomits if we insist.thanks.

Without your child being assessed by a nutritionist, it's impossible to tell if she's allergic to the foods she refuses to eat.
Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by mysticgal(f): 10:30pm On Apr 02, 2016
Siena:

Without your child being assessed by a nutritionist, it's impossible to tell if she's allergic to the foods she refuses to eat.
Mr siena, we are in Nigeria oh, the only nutritionists we know, is the parent's of the child, the grandparents and other mums or parents who have elder children or children in the same age group. Infact, the only time we hear of nutrition is on powdered milk adverttongue

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by teekay213(m): 10:37pm On Apr 02, 2016
mysticgal:
Op, I don't think you can force her to eat such foods, rather incorporate those foods she likes into the family's menu or mix the ones she likes and the one she dislike, for example, mixing beans and rice or noodles
thanks.i will try it.
Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by Nobody: 10:53pm On Apr 02, 2016
mysticgal:

Mr siena, we are in Nigeria oh, the only nutritionists we know, is the parent's of the child, the grandparents and other mums or parents who have elder children or children in the same age group. Infact, the only time we hear of nutrition is on powdered milk adverttongue

I'm aware you're in Nigeria. Nutritionists DO exist in Nigeria. You can't use other children of a similar age as a benchmark with regards to what a child should eat. Every child is unique, even identical twins may NOT like the same foods. Allergies also exist in Nigeria, just like in any other country.

If your happy to force food down your child's throat, that's your choice. But this could result in the child developing a fear of mealtimes, and a dislike of food in general. The child could also end up resenting the parent.

Force feeding has often resulted in food particles finding their way into an infant's lungs. They can choke to death, since their air passages are quite small.

Feel free to Google, what you read may shock you, or you may dismiss it as a load of rubbish. Your call.

Some links:

http://www.indiaparenting.com/food-and-nutrition/54_1196/feeding-the-fussy-child.html

Some extracts:

People envy a baby's blissful existence. All that a baby seems to do is eat, sleep, urinate and excrete. For the first few months of her life, a baby's hunger is easily satisfied. The baby just wants food. She is not at all discriminating about her diet. When she is close to a year old, she ceases to be as ravenous as before and she becomes picky about food. She develops definite likes and dislikes. And feeding becomes a nightmare.

Your baby develops dietary preferences, as she becomes aware that she is not just an extension of you. Deciding what she would like to eat is one way in which she asserts her independence. Teething can also kill a baby's appetite. Like an adult, the baby's appetite and liking for particular foods change from day to day. Feeding problems can also stem from sibling rivalry, illness or other worries.

When your child has a feeding problem, meal times become a battlefield as anxious and frustrated parents try to persuade their child to eat. A feeding problem is often the result of parents coercing their children to eat. In most cases this backfires. Forcing your child to eat will only worsen the situation because it reinforces the child's dislike for food.

Mealtimes should be pleasant affairs. Avoid making the child's diet a bone of contention at every meal. This will make the child dread meals even more. Make every effort to make your child look forward to mealtimes. Give her the wholesome food she likes best for 2 to 3 months and omit all the foods that she dislikes. This will help to make her less suspicious and tense about food. [/b]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by player007(m): 10:33pm On Apr 03, 2016
First find out if she is allergic to the foods and if she's not then you will have to force her to.
Back then I DARE not tell my dad I won't eat this or that. When 20kg ton slap land for your ear eh, you go eat the food finish and still ask for more.

4 Likes

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by Nobody: 10:53pm On Apr 03, 2016
player007:
First find out if she is allergic to the foods and if she's not then you will have to force her to.
Back then I DARE not tell my dad I won't eat this or that. When 20kg ton slap land for your ear eh, you go eat the food finish and still ask for more.

How do you force a child to eat? undecided

It seldom works, and the child merely becomes more obstinate, meal times become a constant battle. A child can choke to death, or become seriously ill if food particles get into their lungs.

If a child refuses to eat certain foods, or you feel they don't eat enough, let them be. They will not starve themselves to death. If you ignore them, in most cases a child will eventually start eating foods they'd previously rejected.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by player007(m): 11:11pm On Apr 03, 2016
Siena:

How do you force a child to eat? undecided

It seldom works, and the child merely becomes more obstinate, meal times become a constant battle. A child can choke to death, or become seriously ill if food particles get into their lungs.

If a child refuses to eat certain foods, or you feel they don't eat enough, let them be. They will not starve themselves to death. If you ignore them, in most cases a child will eventually start eating foods they'd previously rejected.
Bros, you be ajebo abi? Cz I can tell from all the grammar we u de blow. I didn't say he should force it down her lungs. I only said he should make her eat what he provides. She's supposed to eat whatever her parents provides with a smile on her face. Some peeps don't even know where the next meal will come from. Think about how much stress the mother will have to go tru to prepare her own meal seprately before preparing what the rest of the family will eat.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by Nobody: 12:01am On Apr 04, 2016
player007:

Bros, you be ajebo abi? Cz I can tell from all the grammar we u de blow. I didn't say he should force it down her lungs. I only said he should make her eat what he provides.

So how DO you make a child eat certain meals they don't like? I'm not having a dig at you, I'm just trying to understand.

player007:
She's supposed to eat whatever her parents provides with a smile on her face.

Ummmm, no. There may be a reason beyond simply not liking a certain meal, that a child would reject food. In the absense of the child being assessed by a nutritionist or pediatrician, it is best to err on the side of caution, and provide meals the child will happily eat.

player007:
Some peeps don't even know where the next meal will come from.

Very true. But that's not the fault of innocent children, and they should be shielded from the thought that their parents might not be able to provide their meals. Some parents actually tell their kids they should be grateful, they don't know where the next meal is coming from. Very wrong! It makes the children feel guilty.

player007:
Think about how much stress the mother will have to go tru to prepare her own meal seprately before preparing what the rest of the family will eat.

Stress is part of being a parent, no one said bringing up children would be easy. We have to take the rough with the smooth.

2 Likes

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by Ewuro4: 1:16am On Apr 04, 2016
teekay213:
i have an eight years old daughter that doesn't eat most of the food we cook like porridge,semo,amala,beans,etc she only eat selected food like rice or noodles and some weak food like cereals and it's also problem for my wife cooking her food seperately.what surprise me is her brother we both raise together eat all the meals we prepare.pls how can we make her eat all these food?

Which one be 'weak food' ? Rice No be food?(as long as you put dodo and chicken/meat) cereals are made from cornmeal , noodles from drum semolina unless she's celiac (gluten free- which I doubt coz she eats rice).

Welcome to my world

*dancing shoki*

1 Like

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by byvan03: 7:27am On Apr 04, 2016
My first son wanted to try the food selection thing with me. He was eating them all but suddenly, he wants to start choosing when to eat a particular type of food and in what way. I simply said Ok and served those that want to eat. After waiting for 30 minutes without response from my end, he asked again. I simply told him that I can't deal with the food selection thing. He was 4+ then but he got my message clearly, that was the end of food selection. I better not start what I can't finish. Once there is no allergy in play , you eat what you are served.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by pinkiberry(m): 7:32am On Apr 04, 2016
teekay213:
that's how my younger brother is. so we accepted him that way.

2 Likes

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by marbee(f): 1:00pm On Apr 04, 2016
My kids do that alot, when you cook a particular meal, that is when they want something else,I don't even listen to them,I serve the food to them and tell them,the food will make them to grow very tall and strong grin

Or I use another means by telling them that if they don't eat,no cartoon channel for them OR I can also threaten to spank them,that works for me.

They believe whatever I say

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by Nobody: 1:23pm On Apr 04, 2016
marbee:
My kids do that alot, when you cook a particular meal, that is when they want something else,I don't even listen to them,I serve the food to them and tell them,the food will make them to grow very tall and strong grin

Or I use another means by telling them that if they don't eat,no cartoon channel for them OR I can also threaten to spank them,that works for me.

They believe whatever I say

Of course they'll believe whatever you say, you're their mother.

They'll even believe you when you tell a barefaced lie. wink

1 Like

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by marbee(f): 1:43pm On Apr 04, 2016
Siena:

Of course they'll believe whatever you say, you're their mother.

They'll even believe you when you tell a barefaced lie. wink

I do everything for their own good grin

1 Like

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by Nobody: 4:01pm On Apr 04, 2016
marbee:

I do everything for their own good grin

Sis, it's still a lie. grin

For you punishment, no more cookies for you. angry
Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by marbee(f): 7:10pm On Apr 04, 2016
Siena:

Sis, it's still a lie. grin

For you punishment, no more cookies for you. angry

Na wah,this your punishment is harsh o cheesy
Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by LaRoyalHighness(f): 7:31pm On Apr 04, 2016
Can I send my four years old to you?
jopretty:
Can she spend 2 weeks with me? I assure you she'll prefer poundie and ofe owerri when she returns..lol

1 Like

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by K9blunt(f): 8:24pm On Apr 04, 2016
Make I bend if my pikin do that rubbish for me, one day of force fasting go reset e brain.

Nonsence angry

3 Likes

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by jopretty(f): 8:27pm On Apr 04, 2016
LaRoyalHighness:
Can I send my four years old to you?
hian! She/he is picky with foods?
Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by ogawisdom(m): 8:36pm On Apr 04, 2016
I would only worry if she is less than 4yrs or if she is sick. 8yrs dey select food hunger never catch her, she must learn to eat what is available to survive. Encourage her to eat through d one dt eats well. Some child dnt jst like food at all na to dey drink juice dem sabi, they will look skiny n malnourished

2 Likes

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by LaRoyalHighness(f): 9:07pm On Apr 04, 2016
He has declared that 'he doesn't like food' ... He has also been like this.... From birth... He was never interested in milk etc. I don force tire, flog tire, beg tire, blend stuffs tire, ... Tried heaven and earth. *i don't know if there is any multi-vitamin he hasn't taken.

Forgot to add... He can stay a whole day without food... And won't even be bothered.

jopretty:
hian! She/he is picky with foods?
Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by gidjah(m): 9:08pm On Apr 04, 2016
player007:
jahajajahahahahaa!!!your popa must be a military man just like mine,still fears him till date ,even after marriage
Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by gidjah(m): 9:09pm On Apr 04, 2016
player007:
jahajajahahahahaa!!!your popa must be a military man just like mine,still fears him till date ,even after marriage.

1 Like

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by gidjah(m): 9:19pm On Apr 04, 2016
ogawisdom:
I would only worry if she is less than 4yrs or if she is sick. 8yrs dey select food hunger never catch her, she must learn to eat what is available to survive. Encourage her to eat through d one dt eats well. Some child dnt jst like food at all na to dey drink juice dem sabi, they will look skiny n malnourished
you are correct, it has to do with how we handle or rather started with them,once you start with this juice ,bobo and bla bla bla ...they suddenly grow up into indomie kids, no solid foods go for them, they become picky !!I just hope that wasn't how you started wit the child??Else, na u cause am o!!.I have a 7yr old angel,she will eat anything, just ensure daddy and mummy are eating .I actually pick food ,this is because I get tired after the days work and sometimes mouth gets heavy.She talks to me about it,she says daddy, you have to eat what mummy cooked o,else we shall throw the foods away !!

2 Likes

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by Nobody: 9:23pm On Apr 04, 2016
LaRoyalHighness:
He has declared that 'he doesn't like food' ... He has also been like this.... From birth... He was never interested in milk etc. I don force tire, flog tire, beg tire, blend stuffs tire, ... Tried heaven and earth. *i don't know if there is any multi-vitamin he hasn't taken.

Forgot to add... He can stay a whole day without food... And won't even be bothered.

That's what makes children more resistant, and frightened of food time. There are 2 ways you can deal with this:

Find out what foods he likes, and let him have those.

Starve him, (not recommended) and hope he'll come crawling back for the foods he doesn't like.

Of course you're his mother, and l'm not telling you how to handle your child's eating issues. I'm sure you'll do the best for your child.

1 Like

Re: PLS Help!My Daughter Chooses Food. by jopretty(f): 9:33pm On Apr 04, 2016
LaRoyalHighness:

oh dear, sorry about that, but what's your hubby saying/doing about it? Is he always trying to defend your son or put in efforts to make the child eat? When kids exhibit such habit, someone somewhere is encouraging them. Try this little trick I play on my aunty's kids and it works perfectly well. They used to eat very little food, one day, I told them to raise their shirts and I counted 5 imaginary ribs which only me can see lol..I told them that if they don't finish their foods so as to cover these ribs, they will fall sick and be admitted and the doctors won't allow anyone spend the nights with them in the hospital, since then come and see competitions of who will finish a bowl of food first. And the more food they eat from their plates, the less the ribs are visible(so I told them) I start my saying "your ribs are 5, so eat to reduce the number" after about 3 swallows/spoons, I say "it's remaining four and half" so on till I declare "it's remaining just half rib to cover" by then the plate is almost empty. Try it and see if it'll work.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Wife Is The Best Cook / If You Were Once An Introvert How Did You Change? / Here's What Happens When A Woman Knows You Love Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.