Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,660 members, 7,801,913 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! (27071 Views)

Innocent Chukwuma: "GT Bank Is Using EFCC To Intimidate, Fight Me" / What Happens To The Money In My Savings Account If I Die? / Pls Advise On Which Bank Is Best For Online Banking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Pinkyberry2(f): 9:42am On Apr 08, 2016
I was also debited 100 naira for monthly charges but it was credited back after two days... I guess its a new policy that is still under consideration. dat be said, I think FBN AND GTB still remain the only reasonable bank in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Nbote(m): 9:42am On Apr 08, 2016
Which is exactly how dey garner the billions in profits dey declare at d end of every financial year.. All d small nairas dey deduct in d name of stupendous charges even wen using our money to run their own businesses.

1 Like

Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by bedspread: 9:42am On Apr 08, 2016
BEWARE OF FRAUDSTERS

THEY HAVE COME AGAIN! NAIRALANDERS BEWARE! THEY HAVE CHANGED FROM [/b]CARDBONAZA.COM TO [b]MTNPROMO.NG. COM. ITS THE SAME SCAMMERS!! PLEASE PEOPLE SPREAD THE NEWS AROUND ,LETS ALL PUT HANDS TOGETHER TO GET THIS FRAUDSTERS INSIDE KUJE PRISIONS !!! MTN IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANYTHING AS THAT! ITS A SCAM! CODE 324 , CARD BONAZA.COM,MTNPROMO.NG ARE ALL SCAMS AND SCAMMERS
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by udysweet(f): 9:43am On Apr 08, 2016
Coincidentally I tweeted at dem yesterdy wen I saw dis deductions.its so annoying!firstbank will never giv u interest or anytin but dey keep deducting ,evn their miserable peanut interest on FD dey still take tax! Jus seriosly thinking of closing dwn d account cos its not worth it but again knowing wch bank is worth it s it won't be a case of from frying pan to fire,lol!
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Lilimax(f): 9:43am On Apr 08, 2016
I equally noticed the same thing.
I've made up my mind to move my savings account from First bank to GT bank.
Only my salary account will be left with them embarassed
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Surfboard(m): 9:43am On Apr 08, 2016
Banks: the organizations that steal from the poor and give to the rich.

After politicians and religious leaders, banks are the third in the hierarchy of thieves.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by slimysam: 9:46am On Apr 08, 2016
There is God o
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by sulakishop(m): 9:46am On Apr 08, 2016
[size=15pt]May GTB never let me have the reason to ever open a First bank account[/size]

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by hybeenoni: 9:49am On Apr 08, 2016
Same thing here from that stupit 1st Bank and Stanbic

Imagine Stanbic chargin me commission fee, maintenance fee, e.t.c

I think this issue require a lot of social media attention coz it's getting out of hand. We nid to use the power of social media to stop the activities of these thieving banks

1 Like

Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by otokx(m): 9:49am On Apr 08, 2016
Simply close the account.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by donapope(m): 9:52am On Apr 08, 2016
I experienced same too for the second month running. First Bank seems not to have any justification for this ridiculous charge. I sent a mail to the complaints resolution department of the CBN. It was acknowledged and promised to communicate the outcome of their investigations. You may also send a complaint against First Bank or any financial institutions to cpd@cbn.gov.ng.

1 Like

Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Emmysteve9(m): 9:55am On Apr 08, 2016
Waiting to see any stupid alert and i will empty my account jejely. First Bank aka first thieves.

1 Like

Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Nobody: 9:58am On Apr 08, 2016
HELLO.MY FELLOW.BELOVED NAIJA PEOPLE. AM GLAD THIS ISSUES COMES UP HERE. FOR ME AM SO SHOCKED TO BE SEEING ON MY FIRST BANK SAVINGS ACCOUNT DEBIT FEES. WHEN I DO NOT AND HAVE NOT MADE ANY WITHDRAW IN MY ACCOUNT FOR ONE YEAR NOW BECAUSE I LIVE OUTSIDE NIGERIA AND HAS NOT BEEN HOME FOR A YEAR AND ONE MONTH NOW. INSTEAD MONEY IS BEEN PAID INTO MY ACCOUNT BY MY CUSTOMERS AND RELATIONS AFTER SALES BUT NO WITHDRAW SINCE ONLY ME CAN DO THAT. YET FIRST BANK IS COLLECTING WHAT THE CALL DEBIT FEE WHICH I DON'T UNDERSTAND. I HAVE CALL THE LADY WHO OPENED MY ACCOUNT FOR ME SHE TOLD ME SHE WILL GET BACK TO.ME TILL.NOW NO NEWS. LUCKILY I FILL IN EMAIL ALERT SO EVERY TRANSACTION IN MY ACCOUNT IMMEDIATELY I RECEIVE AN EMAIL SINCE I LIVE ABROAD IF NOT FOR THE EMAIL HOW WILL I KNOW THAT THIS BANK IS STEALING MY HARD EARNED MONEY IN THIS COLD COUNTRY. and when Nigerians abroad will stop patronising this Nigerian banks they will call us names as been unpatriotic but look at what they are doing while thousands of politicians are diverting our money to Panama and other countries tries that the Nigerians banks can't stop but on ordinary citizens they can steal from. till I get home this year they will feel me and other people like me. Thousand of Nigerians are pumping in money into Nigerian economy from abroad and all they can do is to be stealing them.

9 Likes

Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by suco01(m): 9:58am On Apr 08, 2016
Misconception here and there abt Nigerian bank. Stanbic IBTC charge me stamp duty charge on savings account of deposit above 1K upwards. I went to complain and they told me CBN policy, u need to see hw i tear and rake for them @ d end ntin was done to it. The real prob is d apex bank which CBN, they're d one to monitor all dose commercial banks activities on accounts bt instead CBN also milking us dry..
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by spacyzuma(m): 9:59am On Apr 08, 2016
I've observed the same thing with GTB whenever I do bank transfers.

It started this year.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by decub: 10:01am On Apr 08, 2016
VLadipo:
Hello all,

I first got the alerts in early March. I was debited a total of NGN105.00 for withdrawal fee on my SAVINGS account.

Confused, I went to my branch to complain. From time immemorial, we have always known (and were even taught in school) that savings account do yield monthly interests if you do not withdraw more than once from the account within a month.
Hence, I was surprised to get this explanation from the customer service person I met that I was charged withdrawal fee because I withdrew more than once from my savings account. The normal thing should be no interest for that month.
She further explained that the directive was from CBN and that deliberations were still ongoing on whether the policy should hold. She promised that a reversal of the deduction could take place.

Now, just some moments ago, I got 2 alerts indicating that I have been debited a total of NGN105.00 as withdrawal fee for the month of March.
This is in addition to the senseless,unrealistic charges debited from my account as payment for SMS alert every month.

Now, isnt that crazy?

Guys, please can you relate to all these as regards your savings account in your respective banks?

What do I do temporarily while I think of leaving Firstbank for good?

The charges on my savings account have become unbearable and disgusting.

Thank you.

Regards,
VLadipo.

Same here, I got 750+ debit for February and 250+ for March, right now, I have packed up my ATM, token and mobile app. Let me do justice to other banks, at least for now.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by nairaman66(m): 10:02am On Apr 08, 2016
First bank is the new fraud in town!! They collected N599 plus in my account and another N20,000!!

I am in my way to my branch as we speak!

3 Likes

Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by prettyrose: 10:02am On Apr 08, 2016
very soon we will be charged appearance fee, which will help reduce the crowd in the bank and the number of times we go to enjoy A.C in the bank.

1 Like

Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by decub: 10:04am On Apr 08, 2016
9jaOfficial:
I just called FIRST Bank Call Centre. They say it's not a CBN Policy but a new Policy from First Bank Mgt. This took effect March 2016. They now charge a sum of 1 Naira per 1000 Naira on all forms of transfers either on counter via Internet banking or Mobile banking or ATM transfers and other forms of bank transfers on all savings accounts.
This is a very inconsiderate policy by FBN to all their customers.
It's high time we took it to twitter. #firstbankcharges
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by shidof(m): 10:04am On Apr 08, 2016
VLadipo:
Hello all,

I first got the alerts in early March. I was debited a total of NGN105.00 for withdrawal fee on my SAVINGS account.

Confused, I went to my branch to complain. From time immemorial, we have always known (and were even taught in school) that savings account do yield monthly interests if you do not withdraw more than once from the account within a month.
Hence, I was surprised to get this explanation from the customer service person I met that I was charged withdrawal fee because I withdrew more than once from my savings account. The normal thing should be no interest for that month.
She further explained that the directive was from CBN and that deliberations were still ongoing on whether the policy should hold. She promised that a reversal of the deduction could take place.

Now, just some moments ago, I got 2 alerts indicating that I have been debited a total of NGN105.00 as withdrawal fee for the month of March.
This is in addition to the senseless,unrealistic charges debited from my account as payment for SMS alert every month.

Now, isnt that crazy?

Guys, please can you relate to all these as regards your savings account in your respective banks?

Thank you.

Regards,
VLadipo.
I used to think that i'm the only one, First have charged me for 2 consecutive months now, monthly fees and VAT apart from the normal exorbitant sms fees. Because of the fees, I refused to withdrawed from there bank last month, but to my greatest surprise, monthly fees was still deducted from my account and another #32.00 for SMS. Even d fidelity bank i used throughout the month only deducted #9.00 from my account.I think First Bank is now turning into a fraud bank. I'm still vexing till tdy by there last year mistake that forced me to collect 2 ATM cards within 6 months.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Montaque(m): 10:04am On Apr 08, 2016
its not a problem with individual banks. its government policy aimed at raising tax to augment the budget shortfall.
I thought people are happy with it. they said thats how its done abroad and that we should brace up for it cos we must pay tax.
I like it because we all suffer it.
No tax from all the mineral resources up north which they state governments mine for their state n personal use.
No luxury tax on the way our politicians enjoy their wealth
No tax on so many taxable income n expenditure, yet government will deem it fit to tax on savings in the bank, increase tarrif for no electricity, refused to advance soft loans to sme's, cannot make the bank loan regime affordable n light.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by jeffooh999(m): 10:04am On Apr 08, 2016
Firstbank is withdrawing 100 naria everyday for admin fee and 5 naria for vat for 3days now abeg make help ask firstbank wetin I do them oooh!I hv other banks to bank with!
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Nobody: 10:05am On Apr 08, 2016
First bank is now very useless, dey deducted a lot from my savings account, more Dan 500 naira has been deducted so far, I just receive alert any how, in fact I av stopped using my account wit dem
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Flodel(f): 10:12am On Apr 08, 2016
For d past 3 months now dey av been deducting my money plus vat, d funny thing iS dat dey have different names: monthly fee, admin fee, annual vat. FBN pls stop ooooooooooo
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Marley40(m): 10:13am On Apr 08, 2016
XX804
Amount:
N641.55 DR
Transaction Narrative:
Withdrawal Fee
Transaction Date:
07-Apr-16 20:45 PM
What a country
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by toocoded: 10:13am On Apr 08, 2016
@ first, i was very mad when i saw these charges, but then i began to reason it out that the mother bank (cbn) gave them a lead on by introducing stamp duty charge (N50) and total removal of COT. so i began to ask maself, how are they suppose to survive, pay their workers, maintain their servers, apps like online/mobile banking, get their international recognitn&certifications, adverts and so on. Bad credit and so on and u still want them to give d best? Bikonu, lets analyze these things b4 we spit out vernom cos our government caused all these. My advise, if u are no longer comfortable with these banks charges, please withdraw your money, close all your accounts and try the orthodox means (put/save ya money 4 house). Gracias.

2 Likes

Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by grandstar(m): 10:14am On Apr 08, 2016
VLadipo:
Hello all,

Now, isnt that crazy?

Thank you.

Regards,
VLadipo.

Was charged 263

So annoying
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by wickedworld: 10:15am On Apr 08, 2016
Yes I wish customers cooperate to stop this their stealing because that is the way I see it. When I ws filling their open account form it says email is free and u will be charge for sms off which I tick email since is free but to my surprise first bank will still debit my account on sms charges.

I hardly see credit most of the time is debit.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by kaball32: 10:15am On Apr 08, 2016
Go do kolo
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by pdozie: 10:16am On Apr 08, 2016
How To Report Your Bank To Central Bank Of Nigeria CBN

If your bank has treated you or offered you services that you find below par, your right to complain to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) which is the regulatory body of Financial Institutions in Nigeria such as Commercial Banks, Microfinance Banks, Primary Mortgage Institutions and Discount Houses.

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has released guidelines for the filing of such complaints.

Contact Your Institution First

According to The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) circular issued in 2011, banks are to expand their existing ATM HELP DESK to handle all types of consumer complaints.

You MUST first report the complaint at the bank/branch where the issue originated and then allow 2 weeks (it might be less in some banks) for the issue to be resolved.

If Your Bank Fails To Resolve Your Complain

If after lodging your complaint your Bank still fails to engage you and resolve the complaint within 2 Weeks as provided for in the ATM HELP DESK Circular, you can then forward your complaint to the Consumer Protection Department (CPD) of the CBN.

Complaints to Consumer Protection Department

You should only forward your Complaints to CPD upon the failure of your Bank/Financial Institution to resolve your complaint within the 2 weeks timeline given by the CBN.

Contacting Consumer Protection Department

You can contact the CPD through the following channels:
E-mail: cpd@cbn.gov.ng
Letter: Director, Consumer Protection Department
Central Business District, Abuja

Your letter of Complaint should be addressed to the Director, Consumer Protection Department. You can submit your letter at the CBN Head Office OR at any of the Central Bank of Nigeria branches of nationwide.

Does the CPD Deal with all Types of Complaints?
The CBN deals with all financial related complaints so far as it is against Financial Institutions within its regulatory purview. How to Write an Effective Complaints Letter

Your complaint should be clear and concise to avoid ambiguity. The Complaint letter (petition) should contain amongst other things the following:
• Name, Address, Contact Phone Number & E-mail of the Complainant;
• Name of your Financial Institution;
• Personal banking details (Do NOT include PIN & Passwords, pleasewink
• History/Date of the transaction in dispute;
• Amount claimed (if any);
• Attach relevant documents to support you claim and;
• Evidence to show that you have first lodged the complaint at your bank.

You can make your further inquiries and obtain additional information on the Complaints Handling Process of the Central Bank of Nigeria from the Complaints Unit of your Bank/Financial Institution or from CBN offices nationwide.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Themandator: 10:18am On Apr 08, 2016
ugonwanneokoye:
Had a similar issue where they charged me close to #5000 in a month.I was so pissed off I jus jeje withdrew all my money and stop using de account.

They charged me 10,299 twice, today
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by toprealman: 10:25am On Apr 08, 2016
welcome to change.....a new naija.....Buhari's naija!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Abokifx Suspends Exchange Rate Updates After CBN Blocks Accounts / Queues At The ATM & Banking Hall: Share Your Experiences/Pics / How Profitable To Import Used Laptop And Phone In Bulk?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.