Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,267 members, 7,780,602 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:22 PM

131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos (82980 Views)

Alaafin Of Oyo's Sets Of Twins Rock Arab Dress In Saudi Arabia (photo) / How To Become Orisa- Serve Humanity! / The Alaafin(s) Of Oyo: Iku Baba Yeye Alase Keji Orisa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by JustHere2Observ(f): 9:51am On Apr 05, 2016
It is funny how we are dragging someone's age when you were not there when they were born. If it is a story about an oyinbo 80 year old woman with a 25 year old body, we would be shouting "goals" and saying wow. But our own thing we will say it is a lie. I believe she is 131 cos I have met my great great grandma who was 130 and doesnt look it.
Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by damola311: 10:19am On Apr 05, 2016
Dygeasy:
I went in 2006..Lol. Na that time them just put all those things.

Hi, I need your help urgently, can we gimme you bbm pin so we can talk privately.
Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by Dygeasy(m): 10:27am On Apr 05, 2016
damola311:

Hi, I need your help urgently, can we gimme you bbm pin so we can talk privately.
Hope it's nothing serious. Send me a mail.
Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by damola311: 10:37am On Apr 05, 2016
Dygeasy:
Hope it's nothing serious. Send me a mail.

na... sent
Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by Aarenasbaba(m): 12:00pm On Apr 05, 2016
isan:
ikija not ijeja
That's d handiwork of hunger
Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by Nobody: 12:37pm On Apr 05, 2016
yinkeys:

Jesus, shocked I went there late 2000, it was an excursion.
lol
So what are you implying? That I am old or what? angry
It depends on the class you were when you went. I think it was in Jss2/3.
Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by djlakeside(m): 3:04pm On Apr 05, 2016
I saw the woman when I went there last year. She's older than the way she appeared in the picture above. I even gave her "small change" that day.
Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by ZUBY77(m): 3:11pm On Apr 05, 2016
gidigbi:

Good friend, it's not about who I am. grin

I'm just trying to say that if you see her real life you will agree that she's not way off from the age ascribed.

It's my opinion and it's understandable for you not to agree.

So can you please remind me who you are too?

How exactly did you measure her age by just looking at her?
Haven't you seen 90 0r 100 year old people who look like her?

2 Likes

Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by ZUBY77(m): 3:16pm On Apr 05, 2016
Geophem:
sorry friend, it wasnt d civil war we are talking about here, d war took place around 1912 so her age cldnt be far from 130yrs

That still mean nothing Bro.

This woman does not know her age, it's just as simple as that.
As a matter of fact, she doesn't look more than 100 in my eyes.
I have old people in my village too.
At 131 years, in the present Nigeria and the powerful roasting sun above our heads, no one lives 131 years and still walks without help.

2 Likes

Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by gatiano(m): 6:38pm On Apr 05, 2016
My alo is about a woman whose little girl made palm-oil.

One day when she had made palm-oil she took it to the market to sell.

She stayed in the market selling her palm-oil until it was quite dark. And when it was dark, a goblin[1] came to her to buy palm-oil, and paid her with some cowries.

When the little girl counted the cowries she found that there was one short, and she asked the goblin for the cowry that was wanting.

The goblin said that he had no more cowries, and the little girl began crying, "My mother will beat me if I go home with a cowry short."

The goblin walked away, and the little girl walked after him.

"Go away," said the goblin; turn back, for no one can enter the country where I live."

"No," said the little girl; "wherever you go I will follow, until you pay me my cowry."

So the little girl followed, followed a long, long way, till they came to the country where the people stand on their heads in their mortars and pound yams with their heads.

[1. Iwin, goblin, spirit, ghost.]

Then they went on again a long way, and they came to a river of filth. And the goblin sang:--

"Oh! young palm-oil seller,
You must now turn back."

And the girl sang:

"Save I get my cowry,
I'll not leave your track."

Then the goblin sang again:--

"Oh! young palm-oil seller,
Soon will lead this track,
To the bloody river,
Then you must turn back."

And she:--

"I will not turn back."

And he:--

"See yon gloomy forest?"

"I will not turn back."

And he:--

"See yon craggy mountain?"

"I will not turn back.
Save I get my cowry
I'll not leave your track."

Then they walked on again, a long, long way; and at last they arrived at the land of dead people.

The goblin gave the little girl some palm-nuts, with which to make palm-oil, and said to her: "Eat the palm-oil and give me the ha-ha.[1]

[1. Ha-ha, the stringy remains of the pulp of the nut after the oil has been expressed.]

But when the palm-oil was made the little girl gave it to the goblin, and eat the ha-ha herself, and the goblin said, "Very well."

By-and-by the goblin gave a banana to the little girl, and said: "Eat this banana, and give me the skin." But the little girl peeled the banana and gave it to the goblin, and eat the skin herself.

Then the goblin said to the little girl: "Go and pick three ados.[1] Do not pick the ados which cry 'Pick me, pick me, pick me,' but pick those which say nothing, and then return to your home. When you are half-way back break one ado, break another when you are at the house-door, and the third when you are inside the house." And the little girl said, "Very well."

She picked the ados as she was told, and returned home.

When she was half-way she broke one ado, and behold, many slaves and horses appeared, and followed her.

When she was at the house-door, the little girl broke the second ado, and behold, many creatures appeared, sheep, and goats, and fowls, more than two hundred, and followed her.

Then, when she had entered the house, the little girl broke the last ado, and at once the house was filled to overflowing with cowries, which poured out of the doors and windows.

The mother of the little girl took twenty countrycloths, twenty strings of valuable beads, twenty sheep

[1. The ado is a very small calabash, commonly used for keeping medicinal powders in.]

and goats, and twenty fowls, and went to make a present to the head wife.[1]

The head wife asked whence all these things came, and when she had been told, she refused to accept them. She said she would send her own child to do the same, and that she could easily get as much.[2]

Then the head wife made palm-oil, and gave it to her own little girl, and told her to go and sell it in the market.

The little girl -went to the market. The goblin came, bought palin-oil of her, and paid her with cowries. He gave the proper number of cowries, but the little girl hid one and pretended that he had not given her enough.

"What am I to do?" said the goblin. "I have no more cowries."

"Oh," said the little girl, "I will follow you to your house, and then you can pay me."

And the goblin said: "Very well."

Then the two walked together, and presently the goblin began singing, as he had done the first time. He sang:--

"Oh young palm-oil seller,
You must now turn back."

[1. Head wife, Iyale (Iya-ile, Mistress of the House). As already explained, the subordinate wives, of which the mother of the girl in the story was one, are called Iya-wo.

2. From the European point of view this would appear to be a good trait on the part of the iyale, for the inference would be that she did not wish to deprive the sub-wife of so much property, but that is not the native view. To the native mind a person only refuses a present when he is nurturing rancour against the donor, and to refuse a gift is regarded is a sign of enmity.]

And the little girl sang:--

"I will not turn back."

And the goblin:--

You must leave the track."

And the girl:--

"I will not turn back."

Then the goblin said: "Very well. Come along." And they walked on till they reached the land of dead people.

The goblin gave the little girl some palm-nuts, and told her to make palm-oil. He said: "When the palm-oil is made, eat it yourself, and bring me the ha-ha." And the little girl eat the palm-oil and brought the ha-ha to the goblin. And the goblin said: "Very well."

Then the goblin gave a banana to the little girl, and told her to peel it. He said: "Eat the banana yourself and bring me the skin." And the little girl eat the banana and carried the skin to the goblin.

Then the goblin said: "Go and pick three ados. Do not pick those which cry 'Pick me, pick me, pick me,' but pick those which say nothing."

The little girl went. She found ados which said nothing and she left them alone. She found others which cried, "Pick me, pick me, pick me," and she picked three of them.

Then the goblin said to her, "When you are halfway home break one ado; when you are at the door break another; and break the third when you are inside the house."

Half-way home the little girl broke one ado, and behold, numbers of lions, and leopards, and hyenas, and snakes, appeared. They ran after her, and harassed her, and bit her till she reached the door of the house.

Then she broke the seeond ado, and behold, more ferocious animals came upon her and bit her and tore her at the door. The door was shut, and there was only a deaf person in the house. The little girl called to the deaf person to open the door, but he heard her not. And there, upon the threshold, the wild beasts killed the little girl.

What does this alo(story) teach us? It is for children as it is more for the adults on so many levels. Once we understand this story, we will begin to understand the direction of this topic.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by yinkeys(m): 10:28pm On Apr 05, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

lol
So what are you implying? That I am old or what? angry
It depends on the class you were when you went. I think it was in Jss2/3.
Lol, no jor. I kinda meant its really a small world. Mine was JSS1 first term cheesy
Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by Nobody: 4:18am On Apr 06, 2016
Gatiano,
That's a good story. There are many such stories about people interacting with mischievous goblins and ogres who have magical powers. I believe they were passed down from the time when giants lived on earth. My grandmother used to talk of giants tall like trees who chased them at night as they were young. I wonder if they were spiritual or actual physical beings.

1 Like

Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by gatiano(m): 12:32pm On Apr 06, 2016
A lot of these stories if not all of them have been passed from generations onto generations. They are more than stories, they are coded with sciences, astronomy and most importantly history. Ever wonder why the wealthy spend a lot of fortune on art, artifacts and ancient books?
This stories as simple as they may appear will continue to unravel in us even after 50 years and more. What Your GrandMother and Mine did was to implant these stories in us, and at the right time after years of nurturing would activate us into the truths.

Goblins, Ogres and such creatures were made or created by Us, to guard some treasures and places for a period of time.

The main part of this story with relationship with the article was the part where the goblin asked both girls to pick 3 rocks. You read that both the girls disobeyed a direct instruction. The one that got goodies disobeyed on the food(banana and its peels), the girl that received dead end, obeyed but at the end disobeyed direct orders to obey the stones that called on to her. The goblin said pick three stones, do not pick the stones that is saying pick me pick me.

Which means glittering things always tell us the same "look me, pick me etc". Our Black people saw an Elder who had aged well for 131 years, leaving within a hidden treasure, that is not shouting "pick me pick me"; Because of our lack of sight and right perception, we are quick to ridicule it.
When a non-black of the same with just 90 years walking on the tracks, on a seeming beautiful tracks, nike's shoe, and gold plated google, we sing their praises....

And the video below is how the civilize live in the cities, metropolitan developed cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1bTRSHdxLY

If toronto and flint are like this, I just wonder what the cities/european standard of Africa would look like.

Muafrika2:
Gatiano,
That's a good story. There are many such stories about people interacting with mischievous goblins and ogres who have magical powers. I believe they were passed down from the time when giants lived on earth. My grandmother used to talk of giants tall like trees who chased them at night as they were young. I wonder if they were spiritual or actual physical beings.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by itstpia8: 5:51pm On Apr 06, 2016
gatiano

nice girls finish last.

that's the real world.

Miss mean and palm oil eating one is more likely to be successful outside of alo apamo. You do have to look out for yourself at some point rather than being a constant martyr trying to replicate Jesus sacrifice when he already paid the price in order that you might be free.

Lastly, Charlie and the Chocolate factory (as opposed to Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory), parallels this tale.
Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by Nobody: 6:01pm On Apr 06, 2016
Agrochemical industries have been killing us slowly from all angles. It's a miracle the world is as populated as it is now.

gatiano:
A lot of these stories if not all of them have been passed from generations onto generations. They are more than stories, they are coded with sciences, astronomy and most importantly history. Ever wonder why the wealthy spend a lot of fortune on art, artifacts and ancient books?
This stories as simple as they may appear will continue to unravel in us even after 50 years and more. What Your GrandMother and Mine did was to implant these stories in us, and at the right time after years of nurturing would activate us into the truths.

Goblins, Ogres and such creatures were made or created by Us, to guard some treasures and places for a period of time.

The main part of this story with relationship with the article was the part where the goblin asked both girls to pick 3 rocks. You read that both the girls disobeyed a direct instruction. The one that got goodies disobeyed on the food(banana and its peels), the girl that received dead end, obeyed but at the end disobeyed direct orders to obey the stones that called on to her. The goblin said pick three stones, do not pick the stones that is saying pick me pick me.

Which means glittering things always tell us the same "look me, pick me etc". Our Black people saw an Elder who had aged well for 131 years, leaving within a hidden treasure, that is not shouting "pick me pick me"; Because of our lack of sight and right perception, we are quick to ridicule it.
When a non-black of the same with just 90 years walking on the tracks, on a seeming beautiful tracks, nike's shoe, and gold plated google, we sing their praises....

And the video below is how the civilize live in the cities, metropolitan developed cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1bTRSHdxLY

If toronto and flint are like this, I just wonder what the cities/european standard of Africa would look like.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by gatiano(m): 8:57pm On Apr 06, 2016
That is the best phrase "killing us slowly (slooowly!!!) from every angle imaginable. Agrochemicals, pharmaceuticals, clinically, food industries, brewing industries, water, through building materials we use to build our shelters, shoes, clothes, handsets (cellphones), fluorescent lights, education, religion (atheism and otherwise), television, etc. It is too much.

I know one fact for sure, Black/Africans are not over populated, Our population is Spiritually controlled, which is why no matter how hard they try, they can't kill us. The disadvantages to that is - we will keep suffering till we wake the hell up!

Muafrika2:
Agrochemical industries have been killing us slowly from all angles. It's a miracle the world is as populated as it is now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by BornnAgainChild(f): 9:10am On Apr 07, 2016
grandstar:

Before I became a Witness, I remember going to Synagogue Church and seeing Pastor Chris Oyakhilome there preforming "miracles"

My friend, pastors dey vist Babalawo wella! Better believe!

That's not news na..everyone knows that
Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by BornnAgainChild(f): 9:12am On Apr 07, 2016
afroxyz:

I don't need your blood of jesus

Whoever told you its gonna reach pple like u sef
Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by BornnAgainChild(f): 9:15am On Apr 07, 2016
curiositymaster:

How son of Lucifer take relate with born again child? Smh

How's that ya businessshake ya head to yasef
Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by BornnAgainChild(f): 9:17am On Apr 07, 2016
[quote author=macof post=44410418]this one is an official ediot......

Its ya elder ones at home that is an official ediot

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by BornnAgainChild(f): 9:25am On Apr 07, 2016
obiak4:
if you cover your Family and other person with this blood will it not finish or you will also used the blood of God? when it finishes?

Wait..lemme call the elders to come answer you
Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by BornnAgainChild(f): 9:27am On Apr 07, 2016
ebiagtales:

Abeg why is 'esu' hiding inside 'Jesus'?

Ask gogglle
Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by gatiano(m): 12:45pm On Apr 07, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpKYLygVuqQ

It is not the oyinbos (europeans) that contradict the truth of African greatness today, The African today had been tamed so much that He/She contradicts His/Her own greatness. Thus, They have lost all confidence in self and embraced hope of a future pursuit of material happiness, They have lost love for self and kind; They now hate self to the core and love every other kind outside their own.
Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by hngprincess: 2:18pm On Aug 17, 2017
Iya Orisa, the relic. I saw her there last time I was at Olumo Rock. You know that English expression "have you been living under a rock"? Little to the oyibo know of this woman. grin I think when I went there I heard someone say she can make anybody rich, that her jazz is very strong.

I'm actually whether she has ever left that place, you know. Let's donate money and book a suite for her in Victoria Island.
Re: 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos by jbblues24(m): 9:27pm On Jun 01, 2019
I think I'm crying. It's that gorgeous. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. / The Koma People Of Adamawa State In Pictures / Ooni Ogunwusi Customizes His Rolls Royce Ahead Of Coronation (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.