Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,668 members, 7,801,928 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:10 AM

Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? (15976 Views)

Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages / Solar-powered Cars For Nigerians By 2018 / 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by nedu2000(m): 8:10am On Apr 05, 2016
I use a diesel-powered vehicle and have not had course to visit a mechanic outside changing oils(power steering,engine etc) and brake pad. The disadvantage then was that diesel,at N120/litre was too expensive despite the fact that it has longer mileage as compared to PMS.
What's it with Nigerians and diesel-powered cars?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:52am On Apr 05, 2016
nedu2000:
I use a diesel-powered vehicle and have not had course to visit a mechanic outside changing oils(power steering,engine etc) and brake pad. The disadvantage then was that diesel,at N120/litre was too expensive despite the fact that it has longer mileage as compared to PMS.

very few diesel mechanics.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by nedu2000(m): 12:48pm On Apr 05, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

'cause there are few diesel cars

16 Likes

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by cjeriia: 6:10pm On Apr 05, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Pray tell kind sir why it is so. after all d operating principles are same. The only difference i see here is the type of fuel it runs on.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by nurey(m): 7:28pm On Apr 05, 2016
cjeriia:
Pray tell kind sir why it is so. after all d operating principles are same. The only difference i see here is the type of fuel it runs on.

Petroleum uses combustion while

Diesel uses compression

Besides both engines are extremely different diesel doesn't utilize spark plugs. Research well on it.
I heard diesel engines are loud and smoke a bit. My brother said he didn't go for a 2015 Benz E class cdi but chose the petrol variant because of that. He resides in the US

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Apr 05, 2016
Just enjoy your diesel while it last.
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by 9icetoo(m): 10:17pm On Apr 05, 2016
nurey:

Petroleum uses combustion while

Diesel uses compression

Besides both engines are extremely different diesel doesn't utilize spark plugs. Research well on it.
I heard diesel engines are loud and smoke a bit. My brother said he didn't go for a 2015 Benz E class cdi but chose the petrol variant because of that. He resides in the US
you heard. hearsay has kept Nigerians largely in the dark. I drive a diesel, its not as quiet as a 2015 Avalon but its not as noisy as a keke napep. my friends e90 is even quieter. you wouldn't know until he revs it. the distinct diesel clatter is there but subdued. diesels don't really need a lot of maintenance. in this day and age of scanners, you have a tool to aid your mechanic service your diesel engine. the most I have done to my diesel is clean my intake manifold, egr and turbo. all were straight forward and done by a none diesel mechanic. I showed him what to do and that was it. my diesel doesn't smoke anymore after cleaning out my turbo and blanking my egr.
I can get 1100 kilometres on a 55 litre tank before I refuel if I do only highway driving and 700 kilometers if I drive only in the city.
avoid diesels with dpf for now though.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by nedu2000(m): 6:55am On Apr 06, 2016
I honestly think Nigerian's apathy for diesel is based to hearsay,i see nothing wrong with them and surprised petrol vehicles dominate. Safety-wise,you'll likely not going to see a diesel-powered car on fire

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by nurey(m): 7:50am On Apr 06, 2016
9icetoo:

you heard. hearsay has kept Nigerians largely in the dark. I drive a diesel, its not as quiet as a 2015 Avalon but its not as noisy as a keke napep. my friends e90 is even quieter. you wouldn't know until he revs it. the distinct diesel clatter is there but subdued. diesels don't really need a lot of maintenance. in this day and age of scanners, you have a tool to aid your mechanic service your diesel engine. the most I have done to my diesel is clean my intake manifold, egr and turbo. all were straight forward and done by a none diesel mechanic. I showed him what to do and that was it. my diesel doesn't smoke anymore after cleaning out my turbo and blanking my egr.
I can get 1100 kilometres on a 55 litre tank before I refuel if I do only highway driving and 700 kilometers if I drive only in the city.

My brother I am not a hear say follower. I even attempt to get a diesel powered VW beetle or passat when I am financially buoyant and done indept research. You also said revving is the only way to differentiate both engines loudness. When driving, the engine revs so diesel would be louder so he was right.

The smoking is something I won't agree with, the luxurious bus uses diesel a v12 engine and I have not seen them smoking as I assumed. Also a passat Tdi in my area doesn't smoke too.

But I researched the Benz cdi technology of the late 90s and early 2000,they were known smokers lol.
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by Inception(m): 7:50am On Apr 06, 2016
9icetoo:

please what is dpf?
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by 9icetoo(m): 11:17pm On Apr 06, 2016
Inception:

please what is dpf?
its stands for diesel particulate filter.
its a filter installed on the exhaust of modern diesel engines to trap soot.
when it gets blocked, engine performance drops and vehicle goes into limp mode.
the filter gets cleaned during regeneration when certain conditions are met or gets cleaned by a dealer.
dpfs can be a nightmare because the conditions for regen are difficult to meet with our road conditions and traffic. however if you do a fair bit of travelling, then its easier to meet the conditions.
you also have to use low ash engine oil and ultra low sulphur diesel. good luck finding those two here.
nurey, nice to see you are considering diesel. once you try it, trust me you won't go back to petrol again. diesels are actually quieter than petrols at high revs. the only sound I hear when doing 2.5 to 3k rpm is my turbo whistle.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by KingRex1(m): 12:47am On Apr 08, 2016
Sometimes it depends on the automobile brand. Some cars are designated to some regions nd it looks like Naija is usually PMS cars. You wuld have to order straight from abroad to use a new diesel powered car.

Also diesel cars are relatively more expensive compared to PMS.

Another reason cud be due to our Naija mindset, we feel maintenance nd engine spare parts cost more.

Most car brands still produce manual transmission cars, bt how many Nigerians buy em, we all jumpin to autos, nt knowing its more prone to faults, causes more heat nd wears the engine faster.

Twld be very cool using an awd/rwd, manual, diesel engine ride.
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by lonelydora: 2:05am On Apr 08, 2016
Reason is because our "Kazeems" have already put fear into most people. So the demand for it is very low. No bizman wants to import what he knows he won't sell for decades.

I am planning on having one diesel car preferably any Mercedes car.

My brother's Mercedes Vito uses diesel and for like two years now, i have never heard him complain about any problem or mechanic. The vehicle is always on the road without any complain.

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by emmanuelcrawler(m): 9:16am On Apr 08, 2016
H
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by Flexherbal(m): 9:17am On Apr 08, 2016
A very good question.
Diesel powered cars are few in Nigeria. The ones I see around are mostly buses.
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by Nelkoko: 9:17am On Apr 08, 2016
Is he confused?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by tspun(m): 9:19am On Apr 08, 2016
For now I am carless, so I don't think my opinion will count.

So I reserve my comment.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by macaranta(m): 9:21am On Apr 08, 2016
Mindset ish

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by Venice789: 9:21am On Apr 08, 2016
emmanuelcrawler:
H
H for hunter
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by yomz1e(m): 9:24am On Apr 08, 2016
Nigerians Mystify everything they don't understand, Diesel engine cars are part of that mystery. We tend to rely on what musiliu the local mechanic heard from taofiki the mechanic in ibadan who heard it from Sule in Suleja from a conversation on bus to warri about how one mechanic callled Emeka who tried to repair a diesel engine and 4ucked it up, since then diesel engine is taboo. hope you catch my drift

Though Expensive, but has huge advantage, longer miles , low combustion and causes less pollution.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by DjAndroid: 9:28am On Apr 08, 2016
Remember diesel is more expensive than petrol in normal conditions.
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by HAH: 9:30am On Apr 08, 2016
I thought of this too, because diesel cars are more efficient and don't burn as fast as petrol though with more emission and noise.

I thought of diesel car expecially with the biting petrol scarcity
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by Temidayo9(m): 9:32am On Apr 08, 2016
Nigerian diesel re impure, highly adulterated .....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by 6digitscomrade: 9:32am On Apr 08, 2016
TBT my bro Nigerians like follow follow i used a peugeot 607 diesel b4 in nja and it neva gave me any ish until d buyer went to shit roadside mech..i called peugeot service immediately i brought d car and dey told me which service stations to buy diesel from and never to use black market..if u follow simple instructions u will enjoy diesel cars,dey are more economical,faster..the AC has no arrival..many advantages to mention but a few...dont forget even maintenance is cheaper..in europe diesel cars are more common dan petrol cars..in europe is either diesel or gas..petrol is relatively on d low side...nigerians just like to use wat thier frnz /pals av...and dey believe anything..i made all my frnz to fall inluv wiv diesel cars but ofcourse dey still wudnt buy one cuz dey will still say my mum said diz...my mechanic said dat..well every mallam wiv him own kettle i luv diesel cars any day all d time..
cjeriia:

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by onatisi(m): 9:34am On Apr 08, 2016
yomz1e:
Nigerians Mystify everything they don't understand, Diesel engine cars are part of that mystery. We tend to rely on what musiliu the local mechanic heard from taofiki the mechanic in ibadan who heard it from Sule in Suleja from a conversation on bus to warri about how one mechanic callled Emeka who tried to repair a diesel engine and 4ucked it up, since then diesel engine is taboo. hope you catch my drift

Though Expensive, but has huge advantage, longer miles , low combustion and causes less pollution.
This ur post really got me laughing

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by Dottore: 9:37am On Apr 08, 2016
I have been using a diesel powered Toyota Hilux since 2012 I have not not had any cause to visit any mechanic apart from break pad and monthly engine oil change. Then I remember I've refilled the gas for the refill twice. then change of tyres when the need arises. This is a vehicle that came in with 93,000 in the odometer now it's 155.000. When it was 125k or so check engine light came up, I took it to the repair shop but their response wasn't convincing for me to allow them fidget with it so I didn't bother since I had had such an experience with my Camry. admitted the car is noisier than its petrol counterparts but the performance is non comparable. The AC is perfect. Something they attributed to the engine being a high capacity one. The car with its ruggedly still rocks till tomorrow

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by 6digitscomrade: 9:38am On Apr 08, 2016
well i fill up my tank for 12,700# and it lasts me for a month and 24/7 days a week AC is on..and am a night crawler...dont look at it from d rear look at d benefit on d long run...i think diesel cars are cheaper in all ramfication if u were in europe u wud av a rethink..d thing i see here is we still dont av competent mechs...except u visit certified service spots which ofcourse will be more expensive dan kasali at mile2 bus stop...lol
DjAndroid:
Remember diesel is more expensive than petrol in normal conditions.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by SporaD8: 9:43am On Apr 08, 2016
nedu2000:
Economy bro! Diesel cars are even cheaper compare with their petrol counter-part. but then compare the price of petrol per litre wit diesel and you will get your answer.
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by jayriginal: 9:43am On Apr 08, 2016
6digitscomrade:
well i fill up my tank for 12,700# and it lasts me for a month and 24/7 days a week AC is on..and am a night crawler...dont look at it from d rear look at d benefit on d long run...i think diesel cars are cheaper in all ramfication if u were in europe u wud av a rethink..d thing i see here is we still dont av competent mechs...except u visit certified service spots which ofcourse will be more expensive dan kasali at mile2 bus stop...lol

Nice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by nedu2000(m): 9:47am On Apr 08, 2016
SporaD8:

Economy bro! Diesel cars are even cheaper compare with their petrol counter-part. but then compare the price of petrol per litre wit diesel and you will get your answer.
noooo,i've been privileged to use both cars and I can tell you that N5000 diesel can covers a longer distance as compared to petrol.
Oh and diesel is consistently btw N110-N140 now,how much is fuel in nigeria now grin ?

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by pope5(m): 9:47am On Apr 08, 2016
check out this diesel powered range, beside my work, its also manual drive (6speed)

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by Nobody: 9:51am On Apr 08, 2016
nedu2000:
Not fast enough I guess, The way I see it, Nigerian roads are nothing but racetracks in ruins.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2019 Lamborghini Urus: Five Things We Know / Mercedes Is Working On Electric G-Class SUV / A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.