Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,268 members, 7,780,603 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:24 PM

Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals (12223 Views)

Unboxing Gionee A1 Lite - N70,000 Phone With 20mp Camera And 4000mah? (pics) / Whatsapp Just Announced Some MASSIVE News And Its Rivals Won’t Be Pleased / Tecno Boom J8 Discussion Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by TechRez(m): 12:37pm On Apr 05, 2016
Tecno Boom J8 is a nearly perfect smartphone and for once I honestly cannot think of a single element that is missing from it.

You can’t help but feel sorry for users of Tecno Boom J7. One would expect a minor upgrade with the Boom J8, but it is created to capture a modern design language paired with frankly impressive specs that crushes other smartphones within the same price range.

The large, curved edged, sexy smartphone is undeniably beautiful, but there is still a lot to be said for the flat-screened device. Let’s find out what makes Tecno’ Boom J8 a stealer device.

Design & Display

Strangely, Tecno Boom J8 is characteristically thin, although not too thin to complete against the world’s slimmest smartphones. The device brings a new design language that mimics the iPhone 6S Plus. Except for the Apple logo and the antenna lining missing at the back of the device, it could easily be mistaken to be a pure breed Apple smartphone.

Picking up the device is easy and handling is exceptionally comfortable. Thanks to the slightly curved edges and the flat-back – it’s easier to hold, though still just as easy to drop. There is no rare camera bump, an attention to design detail that scores an extra point.

It’s hard to hold the Tecno Boom J8 for the first time and not instantly fall in love with it. The overall feel of the phone is one of class – the changes from the Boom J7 are ruthless, but totally worthwhile.

Tecno does an excellent job in its choice of the speaker’s placement and sound is powered by Max Audio technology which I found pretty cool. The headphone socket placement is at the top, like most smartphone currently available in Nigeria. The volume controls and power button are on the right, just like the previous incarnations.

On the front, the 5MP selfie shooter is easily spotted, and it’s paired with soft flash at the top right. The dual SIM and MicroSD card port are revealed when you remove the back cover. The Battery is sealed, can’t be removed and it is rated 3000mAh.
http://www.techrez.com/tecno-boom-j8-review/

Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by TechRez(m): 12:39pm On Apr 05, 2016
Display:

Tecno boom j8 handle

Visually the screen on the phone is stunning. While it is not Full HD, the HD IPS panel with 1080 x 720 resolution does a pretty nice job with multimedia and gaming. Being an upper-mid-range smartphone, there is absolutely nothing to complain about the screen aspect, although I would have appreciated a tinnier bezel.

Software And Performance

Frankly, I expected Android 6.0 Marshmallow right out of the box, but it’s the 5.1 Lollipop OS that rocks the phone. An update to the latest Android OS should start rolling any moment from now, however.
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by petkoffdrake2(m): 12:45pm On Apr 05, 2016
41 gini? angry.... In this Hard economic era... I dey para to buy am ??

1 Like

Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by Nobody: 12:54pm On Apr 05, 2016
Which competition is it killing? Lol u people

5 Likes

Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by augster(m): 1:20pm On Apr 05, 2016
Where are the rivals? And please don‘t mention infinix note 2
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by towncheerup(m): 1:40pm On Apr 05, 2016
The element which makes it imperfect is the screen. 720p ips screen on a 5.5 inch phone looks horrible.

5 Likes

Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by elrony(m): 1:56pm On Apr 05, 2016
Lol what a fukcing joke!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by Godswillnwaoma(m): 1:59pm On Apr 05, 2016
Camera samples please
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by Niyiframes(m): 3:15pm On Apr 05, 2016
More like redesigning the camon c8 and then name it boom j8. For some of us who love screen pixels, the 720p screen is a big turn off. And then buyers be ready to b stuck on Android 5.1 on it for ever. Scoring this crap a 30/100

5 Likes

Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by drss(m): 3:28pm On Apr 05, 2016
omo tecno try o! boom j8 na correct phone. pesin don broke i for buy am. sad
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by flokii: 3:45pm On Apr 05, 2016
that brand name "Tecno" is a turn-off for me..

just dunno why

and they av nice phones

4 Likes

Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by CallmeKola(m): 4:58pm On Apr 05, 2016
Joke!

1 Like

Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by Obaiyski(m): 7:07pm On Apr 05, 2016
Why the boom j8 price is so high like this in naija? In Kenya it's sold for (ksh16999).. Check the exchange rate from KSH to NAIRA and see for ur self that this people is reaping us high here..
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by TJKay: 8:51pm On Apr 05, 2016
petkoffdrake2:
41 gini? angry.... In this Hard economic era... I dey para to buy am ??

You no like Paranoia?
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by TJKay: 8:53pm On Apr 05, 2016
flokii:
that brand name "Tecno" is a turn-off for me..

just dunno why

and they av nice phones

At this age and time, name is still a turn off? Grow up though.
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by flokii: 8:57pm On Apr 05, 2016
TJKay:

At this age and time, name is still a turn off? Grow up though.

not only me..

I've met people like that.. Tecno is like palasa to them

it doesn't have the charm like Infinix, HTC and co.

m not hating tho.. they give affordable phones
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by Nobody: 9:12pm On Apr 05, 2016
Obaiyski:
Why the boom j8 price is so high like this in naija? In Kenya it's sold for (ksh16999).. Check the exchange rate from KSH to NAIRA and see for ur self that this people is reaping us high here..

Tecno has an assembling factory in Kenya. I guess that's why its cheap there.
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by Nobody: 9:13pm On Apr 05, 2016
flokii:

not only me..

Mr man, there's no difference between Tecno and infinix, don't deceive yourself.
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by flokii: 9:17pm On Apr 05, 2016
ibotjaycob:

Mr man, there's no difference between Tecno and infinix, don't deceive yourself.

very well sir.. if you say so
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by dims95(m): 9:54pm On Apr 05, 2016
From this little post I can see that the phone has some flaws, but all the reviewer can do is praise it. HD on a 5.5" screen is definitely poor at that price, big top and bottom bezels, and the front looks bland- reminds me of the techno phantom A.
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by TJKay: 10:07pm On Apr 05, 2016
OF COURSE, IT CAN'T BE YOU ALONE. THE SAYING GOES...
"SHOW ME YOUR FRIENDS AND I WILL WHO YOU ARE"

flokii:

not only me..

Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by TJKay: 10:08pm On Apr 05, 2016
PEOPLE CAN DELUDE THEMSELVES, YOU KNOW? DON'T MIND THAT ONE.

ibotjaycob:

1 Like

Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by Nobody: 10:32pm On Apr 05, 2016
towncheerup:
The element which makes it imperfect is the screen. 720p ips screen on a 5.5 inch phone looks horrible.
There's no perfect phone
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by Nobody: 10:46pm On Apr 05, 2016
Obaiyski:
Several factors are considered when setting up that price
1. The most used currency is dollar which is globally accepted worldwide. So Tecno consider the exchange rate of dollar to naira instead of Kenya Shillings
2. They also consider customer's perception about their brand that's why they high the price and over hype the phone to convince her customers to buy it. So it boils down to demand for the phone at that price. Latter on the price will come downs after it has being skimmed
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by daphid25(m): 11:08pm On Apr 05, 2016
augster:
Where are the rivals? And please don‘t mention infinix note 2
That one na phone
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by augster(m): 7:27am On Apr 06, 2016
daphid25:
That one na phone
no o.. Na calculator
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by towncheerup(m): 7:55am On Apr 06, 2016
asuustrike2009:

There's no perfect phone

I agree but the op said this.

"Tecno Boom J8 is a nearly perfect smartphone and for once I honestly cannot think of a single element that is missing from it.".
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by Nobody: 8:55am On Apr 06, 2016
towncheerup:

"Tecno Boom J8 is a nearly perfect smartphone and for once I honestly cannot think of a single element that is missing from it.".
hmmm what of the picture quality?
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by TechRez(m): 9:10am On Apr 06, 2016
towncheerup:

asuustrike2009:

hmmm what of the picture quality?

I was simply talking about the design language.. I also talked about the picture quality. I don't get why the fuss.
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by Nobody: 9:12am On Apr 06, 2016
TechRez:

I was simply talking about the design language.. I also talked about the picture quality. I don't get why the fuss.
just asked because I want to know if it beats camon C 8
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by TechRez(m): 9:17am On Apr 06, 2016
asuustrike2009:

just asked because I want to know if it beats camon C 8

We will do a camera test.. I can't say anything at this time..
Re: Tecno Boom J8 Review: A N41,000 Phone That Crushes Its Rivals by Godswillnwaoma(m): 9:25am On Apr 06, 2016
TechRez:

We will do a camera test.. I can't say anything at this time..
we are patiently waiting for the camera test with picture samples from both rear and front cameras

(1) (2) (Reply)

Blackberry IMEI Generator Android App Developed By Codeberg / Iphone Unlock In Nigeria Available / Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.