Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,527 members, 7,808,907 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:14 PM

Praying Against Old Age - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Praying Against Old Age (894 Views)

Bloodbath As Muslims In Oyo Fight Over Praying Ground In Igboora, Ibarapa East / Man Dies In A Mosque While Praying In Jordan (Photos And Video) / Muslims Praying In Bayelsa Shut Down A Major Road, Cars Blocked (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Praying Against Old Age by Nobody: 4:54pm On Apr 05, 2016
Assalam alaykum. I just saw a post about a brother seeking refuge from old age. So I asked him if old age is something one should seek refuge from. He said;

"When you become old, you will become powerlessness so you need to seek refuge from the Lord, so that satan will not overpower you in knowledge and things ..you will lag in.. (Whatever that means).

Brothers and sisters, please what is your opinion on that?
Re: Praying Against Old Age by Empiree: 6:43pm On Apr 05, 2016
Bnladan Nafizzey, omaxiwola01 abbeysoul, adesinaabolaji, Azeez259, ShaheedBinAliyu BETATRON, mskata, midolian, nisai, tola9jaa, sawsaw MuhdG, Presbulg haffaze777 xtic2yz Trottle, goodgate, abduljabbar4 shahydbinaliyu Gboskee, Emmeritus, missphumby, 9jaforlife, alsudaes1, theGuest, HAkorehdeh EmmGee, AlBaqir zeezzy, lanrexlan ameenahz, Jamo90, luvlyoracle, born2lead01, Niyyah Harmthe, Wealthyone, whealthy kolomax, odave, trukoments Toheeb31 jaymichael, tumaraya, heskeyw ladyshawlecx dmjinc, rhemakid1 zemaye, tola9ja, Rilwayne001, kawzlaw2000, kennyosein, MrOlai, Sino

2 Likes

Re: Praying Against Old Age by kolomax(m): 6:47pm On Apr 05, 2016
I am here to learn
Re: Praying Against Old Age by AlBaqir(m): 10:30pm On Apr 05, 2016
khalifahsparkles:
Assalam alaykum. I just saw a post about a brother seeking refuge from old age. So I asked him if old age is something one should seek refuge from. He said;

"When you become old, you will become powerlessness so you need to seek refuge from the Lord, so that satan will not overpower you in knowledge and things ..you will lag in.. (Whatever that means).

First, there is NO reliable evidence to that so called submission (that when one become old, satan can easily overpower one's knowledge etc).

Second, state of "young and old" are among the sign (ayat) of Allah. And we have been promised of that (one or both eventually)

# Sura Ar-Rum: 54 reads:
"Allah is the One Who created you from a weak thing. Then after weakness He generated strength (of youth). Then after strength He produced debility and senility. He creates what He wills, and He is All-Knowing, All-Powerful "

# Sura Yasin: 68 reads:
"And someone whom We give long life, We cause him to degenerate (towards childhood and debility) in strength and disposition. So, do they not have sense? "

Third, when satan vow that he will mislead the children of Adam from the right path, he only exempt ibadaka mukhlaseen (true or devoted servant of Allah). satan never differentiate young from old or vice versa. his goal is to mislead mankind: As he, and can mislead young so the old or middle age.

Fourth, there is no doubt that old age can cause low memory, forgetfulness, hallucinations etc but that does not mean it is satan's handiwork. In fact just like a child (not yet at the puberty age) is exempted in Shari'a (in his bad deeds) so also is an old with certain old age dysfunctions (like forgetfulness etc).

Fifth, there are some old aged people with no dysfunctional problems. And there are young ones with these dysfunctional problems. In short, both old and young need Du'a of protection against Satan and his troops from among men and jinn.

Lastly, we are enjoined in Islam to strive and struggle especially in the cause of Allah at young age before old age comes where we are weaken. Allah show lots of mercy to very young and old people because of their weakness.

Allah knows best.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Praying Against Old Age by Nobody: 4:16am On Apr 06, 2016
AlBaqir:

First, there is NO reliable evidence to that so called submission (that when one become old, satan can easily overpower one's knowledge etc).

Second, state of "young and old" are among the sign (ayat) of Allah. And we have been promised of that (one or both eventually)

# Sura Ar-Rum: 54 reads:
"Allah is the One Who created you from a weak thing. Then after weakness He generated strength (of youth). Then after strength He produced debility and senility. He creates what He wills, and He is All-Knowing, All-Powerful "

# Sura Yasin: 68 reads:
"And someone whom We give long life, We cause him to degenerate (towards childhood and debility) in strength and disposition. So, do they not have sense? "

Third, when satan vow that he will mislead the children of Adam from the right path, he only exempt ibadaka mukhlaseen (true or devoted servant of Allah). satan never differentiate young from old or vice versa. his goal is to mislead mankind: As he, and can mislead young so the old or middle age.

Fourth, there is no doubt that old age can cause low memory, forgetfulness, hallucinations etc but that does not mean it is satan's handiwork. In fact just like a child (not yet at the puberty age) is exempted in Shari'a (in his bad deeds) so also is an old with certain old age dysfunctions (like forgetfulness etc).

Fifth, there are some old aged people with no dysfunctional problems. And there are young ones with these dysfunctional problems. In short, both old and young need Du'a of protection against Satan and his troops from among men and jinn.

Lastly, we are enjoined in Islam to strive and struggle especially in the cause of Allah at young age before old age comes where we are weaken. Allah show lots of mercy to very young and old people because of their weakness.

Allah knows best.

jazakallahu khairan. I understand now

2 Likes

Re: Praying Against Old Age by theGuest: 12:55pm On Apr 08, 2016
When you rmber that Hadith about the Prophet's (SAW) surprise at seeing an old man in hell and a youth in paradise (forgive for not quoting verbatim) you just have to envy those that get to old age.
By the time one is old and sincere, you'll fund it easy to worship Allah to the fullest. You can even sin (easily) anymore even if you want to.
Now, if you're blessed financially, you can go to Umrah and Hajj (if you're not that weak) every year and if one is fortunate enough, one might just die in the holy land! How cool is that!

2 Likes

Re: Praying Against Old Age by Newnas(m): 10:17pm On Apr 16, 2016
Long life is a blessing from Allah provided that it is spent in righteous deeds. But a long life spent on sins and frivolities will increase one in nothing but misfortune and punishment (may Allah save us from such)

The messenger of Allah alyhissolaat wassalaam used to seek refuge from evil of old age as reported by Imam Bukharee in his soheeh;

Narrated Anas bin Malik (Radhiallahu anhu):
The Prophet (Sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) used to say,
"O Allah! I seek refuge with You from helplessness, laziness, cowardice and feeble old age; I seek refuge with You from afflictions of life and death and seek refuge with You from the punishment in the grave."
[Sahih Bukhari - Book of Tafseer chapter Quran 16:70

Imam Muslim also has a report similar to that in his soheeh (2723). see Riyadh soliheen by Imam Nawawiyy (5/1455) and also the common prayer book 'citadel of the believer' under the morning and evening adhkar.

according to fathul baari; the evil of old age is kharaf (senility and dotage).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Praying Against Old Age by Nobody: 2:16am On Apr 27, 2016
khalifahsparkles:

I understand it to mean what we put forth in our youth/prime could come back to haunt us. So for example; You have a child and they don't prioritize you or you have money and you can't access it or you have people but you're alone. I think it's another way of saying you reap what you sow and we Must ask ourselves 'what have I put forward as protection from old age. Devil to me, just means negative energy and drive.
Re: Praying Against Old Age by Newnas(m): 10:11pm On Apr 27, 2016
nubian999:

I understand it to mean what we put forth in our youth/prime could come back to haunt us. So for example; You have a child and they don't prioritize you or you have money and you can't access it or you have people but you're alone. I think it's another way of saying you reap what you sow and we Must ask ourselves 'what have I put forward as protection from old age. Devil to me, just means negative energy and drive.

Na wa ooo, owishi wishi la o maa ri!!!

So what is God to you? Positive energy and drive?! na -really- wa ooo. Allahulmusta'aan!!!
Re: Praying Against Old Age by Nobody: 10:12pm On Apr 27, 2016
Newnas:

Na wa ooo, owishi wishi la o maa ri!!!

So what is God to you? Positive energy and drive?! na -really- wa ooo. Allahulmusta'aan!!!

English?

(1) (Reply)

Should I Marry Him/her? What Advice Was Given / We Are Muslim Not Terrorist / The Real Truth: What Does Islam Say About Suicide Bombing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.