Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:22 AM

Photo: How To Identify Poisonous And Non-poisonous Snake. - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Photo: How To Identify Poisonous And Non-poisonous Snake. (3535 Views)

I Killed This Poisonous Thing In My Room By 3am And I Don't Know It's Name(pics) / Huge 8-foot Poisonous Snake Found Inside A Toilet Of Apartment (photos) / PHOTO: How True Is This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Photo: How To Identify Poisonous And Non-poisonous Snake. by anangboy(m): 5:52pm On Apr 09, 2016
Misterpaul:

I don't think it is wrong to use the word "poisonous" if we consider the dictionary meaning of the word.

Venom as we know is a poison when it hit d blood stream. And any snake that produces these poison can be referred. to as a poisonous snake.

They are interrelated but they are not the same. See it like this: A venom is a toxin and a poison but a poison is a toxin but not a venom. If I get bitten by a snake and poison is injected into me, then it means I got bitten by a venomous snake.

It should be clearer this way: We have many poisonous species of toads, frogs, fish that contain poison glands. Touching any of these animals alone is poisonous.

Now, we also have certain species of insects, snakes, spiders that contain venom. If I touch any of these species, are they poisonous? No. Why? Because they are venomous animals and they have to inject their poison through bites or stings.

The next time you are in doubt, use this reasoning:
* If poison is transferred thru touch, it is poisonous.
* If poison is transferred thru bite or sting, it is venomous.

Using that logic, is a scorpion poisonous or venomous? A scorpion is venomous and you know why.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photo: How To Identify Poisonous And Non-poisonous Snake. by Misterpaul(m): 11:53am On Apr 10, 2016
anangboy:

They are interrelated but they are not the same. See it like this: A venom is a toxin and a poison but a poison is a toxin but not a venom. If I get bitten by a snake and poison is injected into me, then it means I got bitten by a venomous snake.

It should be clearer this way: We have many poisonous species of toads, frogs, fish that contain poison glands. Touching any of these animals alone is poisonous.

Now, we also have certain species of insects, snakes, spiders that contain venom. If I touch any of these species, are they poisonous? No. Why? Because they are venomous animals and they have to inject their poison through bites or stings.

The next time you are in doubt, use this reasoning:
* If poison is transferred thru touch, it is poisonous.
* If poison is transferred thru bite or sting, it is venomous.

Using that logic, is a scorpion poisonous or venomous? A scorpion is venomous and you know why.

I quite understand ur point. Ofcourse I'm not disputing the correctness of the term "venomous snake".

What I'm saying is that, it is still not totally wrong to use the term poisonous snake. If we consider the dictionary meaning of the word "poisonous" (i.e. capable of putting poison into another animal's body by BITING it)

You ar jst giving d word "poisonous" ur own personal definition to suit ur argument, check ur dictionary for a proper definition sir.
Re: Photo: How To Identify Poisonous And Non-poisonous Snake. by anangboy(m): 11:15am On Apr 12, 2016
Misterpaul:

I quite understand ur point. Ofcourse I'm not disputing the correctness of the term "venomous snake".

What I'm saying is that, it is still not totally wrong to use the term poisonous snake. If we consider the dictionary meaning of the word "poisonous" (i.e. capable of putting poison into another animal's body by BITING it)

You ar jst giving d word "poisonous" ur own personal definition to suit ur argument, check ur dictionary for a proper definition sir.

Science is not semantic. Science is not pedantic. Science is all about accuracy of terms. There is no middle ground in sciences especially in zoology where behaviours and attributes of organisms whether single celled or chordata, determine their classification. And if you go looking for science terms in mainstream or non-tech dictionaries then it's safe to say you are grossly misguided.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison [pay attention to the terminology section]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venom [pay attention to the snake section]

www.reptilegardens.com/reptiles/snakes/venomous/ [pay attention to the concept of venomous]

www.hubpages.com/animals/What-is-snake-venom-poison [pay attention to venomous vs poisonous]

Etc Etc Etc.

Lots of technical materials abound online for your perusal. Peer reviewed zoological journals do not accept snakes as poisonous but venomous because poison is a simple subset of venom and the mode of delivery is what matters and is paramount.

I no longer wish to continue this discourse. It is now exhaustive. Thank you.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Get 2.5gb On Airtel For 500 Using This Trick / Surveillance Electronic Mosquito / Extra Padded Backpack - Laptop Bag for Work or School N4,000 PIN:7E0374C0

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.