Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,742 members, 7,802,263 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:44 AM

Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH (14479 Views)

Power Supply Worsens As Nigeria Records Another System Collapse / Kwara Government Worsens Saraki’s Case / Fuel Crisis Worsens As Motorists Struggle To Get Fuel In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by rozayx5(m): 2:58pm On Apr 06, 2016

The current fuel scarcity in the country may not end anytime soon as many filling stations and depots in Lagos did not have Premium Motor Spirit on Tuesday, while queues of desperate motorists grew longer at few stations selling the product.

Our correspondent gathered that vessels conveying petrol, which came into the country between Monday and Tuesday, would not be able to discharge until Thursday due to logistics issues.

According to a source, two new vessels, Mt. Mersk Kalea and Mt, Alizea, carried 21 million metric tonnes of petrol and berthed at the Apapa jetty.

In Lagos, at most filling stations belonging to independent marketers, a litre of the product was sold for between N120 and N250 instead of the N86.50 official pump price, while black market hawkers sold it for as high as N400 per litre.

Many commuters were seen struggling to get commercial vehicles to different destinations, even as many transport operators increased their fares by 100 per cent or more.

On the Otedola Estate and Berger end of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Mobil, Capital Oil and Oando filling stations had long queues of desperate motorists and other customers, which spilled onto the road and caused serious gridlock.

The long queues at the filling stations forced many motorists to resort to the black market, whose operators were having a field day as they sold the product at exorbitant prices.

A source, who is an official of an independent marketer, who confirmed the arrival of the vessels, said, “But discharge had not started because they have to determine those to get the product and they have to do all the formal documentation. There is still documentation for naval clearance; there is documentation for the DPR clearance; the DPR will also go on board since it is an imported vessel.

“They cannot start to discharge now. The earliest time they can do that is probably tomorrow (Wednesday) night or Thursday morning. Because of the subsidy component, the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency will want to see whether it is in line with the approval given.

“So, those are the things that will actually delay the discharge of the vessels. It should take a minimum of two days. So, people may not feel any vessel is discharging until the weekend. The logistic issue is now the problem.”

One of the marketers, Capital Oil, said, “This is to inform our valued customers and the general public that the NNPC has brought in enough fuel cargos into the country.

“Consequently, Capital Oil has commenced massive 24-hour loading in a bid to meeting the NNPC’s target of eliminating fuel queues nationwide within the next few days.

“We also wish to discourage Nigerians from panic-buying and hoarding, while calling on everyone to stop patronising the activities of black marketeers.”

The Executive Secretary, Depot and Petroleum Products Marketers Association, Mr. Olufemi Adewole, said members of the body were in the process of submitting their papers to the Central Bank of Nigeria for foreign exchange to enable them to bring in more cargos.

“Quite a number of our members have not had anything to bring in for a while now. In the first quarter, only 10 of them were given allocation and the rest had nothing to do; they were just paying salaries without having things to do, except probably a few that had diesel. So, now that they have been given the PMS, they have started working on getting the products in,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria on Tuesday debunked allegation that it was responsible for the current fuel scarcity in the country.

The National Operations Controller, IPMAN, Mr. Mike Osatuyi, said a statement to that effect was credited to Mr. Lawson Ngoa, who he described as an agent of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources brought in to mediate in the internal crisis of the association.

He said, “While the intervention of the Minister of State for Petroleum, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu, in resolving the internal crisis in IPMAN is appreciated and commendable, the forefathers, past presidents, leaders of IPMAN and the general members of IPMAN nationwide will not allow Mr. Lawson Ngoa, who is not a marketer or an IPMAN member, to use IPMAN’s name as a shield to defend or protect a system failure of the NNPC.

“It is pure defamation of IPMAN name to go on air that IPMAN has accepted the responsibility for the scarcity of petroleum products and that Nigerians should hold IPMAN responsible for the scarcity.”

Also on Tuesday, Kachikwu said queues would disappear from filling stations in Abuja and Lagos by Thursday.

This was despite the fact that Abuja and its environs had queues in front of some filling stations on Tuesday.

The minister also noted that based on the price modulation technology adopted by the PPPRA and the trend in the prices of crude oil globally, a new pump price for petrol might be announced in May.

Kachikwu, who said these when he paid a visit to the headquarters of the PPPRA in Abuja, further stated that the queues would disappear in states like Sokoto, Kano, Rivers, Katsina and Delta by the weekend.

He said, “Today, we have fuel queues and it is a complete nightmare for me. I feel for every Nigerian who is at the filling station. And there isn’t still sufficient reason why Nigerians should suffer this much. We just need to create the right policies. As hard as they are, as difficult as they come, we need to make the right policies to leave a legacy in the petroleum sector.

“Hopefully by tomorrow (Wednesday) or Thursday, the fuel queues in Abuja should be over. Hopefully, the same thing will happen to Lagos, and a day after, by the weekend, we should see Kano, Katsina, Sokoto, Port Harcourt and Warri getting enough products.”

Kachikwu stated that the government was working out measures to have strategic reserves for the country in order to forestall any form of petrol scarcity in future.

He said, “But really, in some places, we do not have queues as such; rather, people are paying double the price to get the product. It is not right, but what it says to you is that obviously, there are some things that we need to watch out for if people are not buying our product rightly, we should be able to check and restrain that.

“However, what concerns me more is letting the present queues go out.” On the price modulation mechanism, the minister said in May, the government might come up with new pump prices for petrol going by the trend in crude oil prices globally.

“The price modulation that we’ve put in place will enable us to check prices. The government has not returned petrol subsidy. The real truth is that in the first three months of doing the price modulation, our over-recoveries enabled us to save quite a lot of money and that is going to fund the gap that we see in April; but for May, we will have to adjust the prices to match the current trend,” Kachikwu said.

Earlier in her address, the Acting Executive Secretary, PPPRA, Mrs. Sotonye Iyoyo, told the minister that the non-existence of a sustainable strategic reserves policy for petroleum products as a security against emergency situation in the country was a challenge to the agency.

Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, on Tuesday banned the sale of petroleum products in jerrycans by black market operators across the 23 local government council of the state.

The governor, who announced the ban through his Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Samuel Aruwa, said the measure became necessary because of the hardships caused by the current scarcity of petrol.

He said it was a collective decision of the State Security Council to ban the sale of the product in jerrycans across the state.

According to him, the security council based its decision on legal and security considerations, as well as environmental hazards that petroleum products in jerrycans can cause.

http://www.punchng.com/vessel-delay-worsens-fuel-scarcity/

1 Like

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by ItzTun3chi(m): 3:08pm On Apr 06, 2016
Nigeria needs help angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by hucienda: 4:05pm On Apr 06, 2016
abeg.. dear lord, who swear for this country?? who we offend??

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by TANTUMERGO007(m): 4:05pm On Apr 06, 2016
see as God they fight our(PDP) battle for us

12 Likes

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by TANTUMERGO007(m): 4:05pm On Apr 06, 2016
hucienda:
Who swear for this country??
na dasuki grin and nnamdi join swear together on this country

6 Likes

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by SammyGyang(m): 4:05pm On Apr 06, 2016
Useless government

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by bbjummy: 4:06pm On Apr 06, 2016
My father land cry cry
Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by macarson2k(m): 4:06pm On Apr 06, 2016

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by Lilimax(f): 4:06pm On Apr 06, 2016
Tomorrow is 7th of April o!
We need to remind this present government because we are told that fuel crisis will come to an end on 07/04/2016.
My patience is running dry...or I may need to change my prayer points embarassed

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by TrollTrap: 4:06pm On Apr 06, 2016
Peak times fam..... I do feel for people affected by this i.e everyone embarassed
Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by otokx(m): 4:07pm On Apr 06, 2016
it's not swear, it is a total collapse of our systems and infrastructures.

2 Likes

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by youngeagle(m): 4:07pm On Apr 06, 2016
Na so...may una play another tune joor
Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by rozayx5(m): 4:07pm On Apr 06, 2016
otokx:
it's not swear, it is a total collapse of our systems and infrastructures.

total collapse you said cool cool

SE be like we told you and be dancing like

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by slinkman(m): 4:08pm On Apr 06, 2016
I was Blinded, don't wake me up please, i seem disappointed in myself for believing Lies from some greedy lots cry

3 Likes

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by AwesomeRomeo: 4:08pm On Apr 06, 2016
Lord, please we need Your help!
Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by inme: 4:08pm On Apr 06, 2016
I bought 30ltrs of Fuel for 8k yesterday.

O boy dis country don be as e get ohh

7 Likes

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by Nobody: 4:08pm On Apr 06, 2016
So na Mt. Mersk
Kalea and Mt. Alizea be the vessels wey carry the petrol... Hope the vessels never fail brake for sea
Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by Tunami(m): 4:08pm On Apr 06, 2016
TANTUMERGO007:
see as God they fight our(PDP) battle for us
what is this man saying?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by tonylaw07(m): 4:09pm On Apr 06, 2016
Giant of Africa my Ass. I think this crude oil we have is turning to a curse.

1 Like

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by erico2k2(m): 4:09pm On Apr 06, 2016
We told them but where called wailer

2 Likes

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by TANTUMERGO007(m): 4:09pm On Apr 06, 2016
Tunami:
what is this man saying?
the gospel truth grin

1 Like

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by xynerise: 4:10pm On Apr 06, 2016
Is this some kind of ill luck on us?
Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by wristbangle: 4:11pm On Apr 06, 2016
Useless people
Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by ogaJona(m): 4:11pm On Apr 06, 2016
God please forgive us for voting this fools

1 Like

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by OCTAVO: 4:12pm On Apr 06, 2016
Oh
Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by Glorealluv(m): 4:12pm On Apr 06, 2016
Dis fuel scarcity will last till may jst as kachukwu had first announced, dey jst forced him 2 lie 2 nigerians abt it ending on 7th April, nd we all bliv in d lie, dis govt knows we lyk LIES more dan TRUTH

7 Likes

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by Mopolchi: 4:12pm On Apr 06, 2016
No problem. Ifeanyi Ubah is capable enough to solve the fuel scarcity issue.
Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by RedCapChief(m): 4:13pm On Apr 06, 2016
“However, what concerns me more is letting the present queues go out.” On the price modulation mechanism, the minister said in May, the government might come up with new pump prices for petrol going by the trend in crude oil prices globally.
The government will soon increase the pump price of petrol.
Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by Ehins22(m): 4:13pm On Apr 06, 2016
sad
Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by jpphilips(m): 4:13pm On Apr 06, 2016
Kachikwu should go for leadership training, he is smart no doubt but he has no depth in information dissemination, look at that press release and tell me if it makes any sense.

First, you don't have strategic reserves so no shock absorbers for any supply shortfall, what are you doing about it?

Second, PPRA will have to increase pump price not to reflect eventualities in the global crude price like you claimed after all, crude price is dipping further, but the fact that you are returning the marketers you sacked previously since it has dawned on you that NNPC can not maintain supply 100%.
It was not a mis calculation on your part because you hoped that the refineries will supply 40% while NNPC imports 60% a capacity you thought was sustainable not till miscreants in the creek bombed off the two refineries feedstock lines thereby squashing your plans for 40%.

You have tried 100% supply last month and you have realized how disastrous it turned out and now you have returned the marketers who will present unrealistic margins that will attract another form of subsidy, the least of it being exchange differentials, once the CBN delays their forex requests, they are gonna source it from the black market which will soar their subsidy demands so you must brace for this challenge.

You intend to bridge the margin by increasing pump price, that will have serious political consequences because nobody will listen to increased price at a lower crude price.

Again, if the CBN continues to supply forex to them, it will mount serious pressure on our balance of trade and I tell you it is not sustainable which will bring us back to the circus where we started.
Our only chance of having import availability with less Forex pressure is implementing the DSDP you proposed two months ago, I did not read when it is going to be implemented.

This half half information is not helping the image of this administration, you need to talk to Nigerians like kids because these PDP urchins are not far from m0r0ns.

13 Likes

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by Nobody: 4:13pm On Apr 06, 2016
Hmmm, we sure need a long term solution. Fix our refineries and stop the importation of petrol. If building refineries is too expensive, let the FG borrow and build and then sell them off. I personally won't vote for Buhari if by 2019 Nigeria still imports fuel. Nigeria has a comparative advantage in crude oil extraction and production, and that we must maximise for our benefit not the other way round.

2 Likes

Re: Vessel Delay Worsens Fuel Scarcity - PUNCH by otokx(m): 4:14pm On Apr 06, 2016
rozayx5:

total collapse you said cool cool

SE be like we told you and be dancing like

whether we dance or not, the whole thing is affecting us.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS ! NNAMDI KANU ARRESTED / Buhari And The June 12 Saga By Reuben Abati / Tinubu: Only God, The Giver Of Life Can Take My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.