Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,929 members, 7,806,692 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:01 PM

Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News (9863 Views)

New Sect Claims Responsibility For SARS Attack In Abuja -Desert Herald / Save The Unlawfully Detained Nigerian In Ukraine / Ibb Pleaded With Saudis To Release A Detained Nigerian Islamic Extremist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by blacksta(m): 9:04pm On Jul 30, 2009
The leader of an Islamic sect blamed for days of deadly violence in Nigeria has been killed in custody, police officials say.

The announcement came just hours after police said they had captured Mohammed Yusuf in the city of Maiduguri.

Mr Yusuf leads Boko Haram, which wants to overthrow the government and impose a strict version of Islamic law.

His followers have been blamed for violence in the north-east that has left more than 300 people dead.

"He has been killed. You can come and see his body at the state police command headquarters," said Isa Azare, spokesman for the Maiduguri police command, told Reuters news agency.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8177451.stm
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by blacksta(m): 9:06pm On Jul 30, 2009
Mr Rule of Law don kill somebody for custody - This could have major implications on Nigeria - God forbid we have the first suicide bombers in Nigeria
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jul 30, 2009
blacksta:

Mr Rule of Law don kill somebody for custody - This could have major implications on Nigeria - God forbid we have the first suicide bombers in Nigeria

if that is what will make the south sit up and grow a spine to finally separate from the parasitic north then i'm in full support.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by noetic2: 9:12pm On Jul 30, 2009
blacksta:

I was just puzzling over that too. . . . why was he killed after he has been arrested? whats really going on?
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by blacksta(m): 9:14pm On Jul 30, 2009
noetic2:

I was just puzzling over that too. . . . why was he killed after he has been arrested? whats really going on?

It was probably a show of force - Imagine if the North self implodes - what would be the implications for the whole of Nigeria.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Kobojunkie: 9:20pm On Jul 30, 2009
Ok!!! How are we sure the man the man in custody is the real mastermind? This could have been an innocent man, made a scapegoat to appease Nigerians.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by NINETOFIVE(m): 9:23pm On Jul 30, 2009
What is the need of killing a man that has already been arrested, what about justice? I do understand he might probably implicate a lot of people.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by MrCrackles(m): 9:24pm On Jul 30, 2009
NINETOFIVE:

What is the need of killing a man that has already been arrested, what about justice? I do understand he might probably implicate a lot of people.

Yeah me think so too. . . . undecided
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jul 30, 2009
i think the government had already determined they wanted him dead. they are not interested in prosecuting a case.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by asha80(m): 9:27pm On Jul 30, 2009
Why do i get the feeling that there would be more dissent in the near future which would be far more violent undecided
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by bilymuse: 9:29pm On Jul 30, 2009
I have a bad feeling we ve not heard the last of the group
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by noetic2: 9:31pm On Jul 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Ok!!! How are we sure the man the man in custody is the real mastermind? This could have been an innocent man, made a scapegoat to appease Nigerians.

thats another angle to it.

blacksta:

It was probably a show of force - Imagine if the North self implodes - what would be the implications for the whole of Nigeria.

I think there is more to this story than is being reported. . . , it just does not add up or make sense. . .why kill a man already in detention?
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Rebarobyn: 9:32pm On Jul 30, 2009
NINETOFIVE:

i concur, may be he's not even the real man, they might have been able to get info from him after much interrogation. and the way the police officer said "he's dead, you can come and see his body, ", I dont think thats good for the police and nigerian image sha
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by NINETOFIVE(m): 9:34pm On Jul 30, 2009
davidylan:

i think the government had already determined they wanted him dead. they are not interested in prosecuting a case.

Don't yo think that is fraudulent? If there are some people behind the man, then killing  him would not allow the system to get to the nucleus of the problem, quick fix don't really solve problems, it only postpone them.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by MrCrackles(m): 9:34pm On Jul 30, 2009
bilymuse:

I have a bad feeling we ve not heard the last of the group

I just hope they wipe them all into extinction. . . . No matter what it takes! angry
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jul 30, 2009
NINETOFIVE:

Don't yo think that is fraudulent? If there are some people behind the man, then killing  him would not allow the system to get to the nucleus of the problem, quick fix don't really solve problems, it only postpone them.

the government isnt interested in getting to the nucleus of the problem . . . didnt the president head off to brazil while the north was still burning? They dont care . . . a few dead bodies, quiet returns to the north and everyone looks away until the next riot.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by noetic2: 9:38pm On Jul 30, 2009
davidylan:

the government isnt interested in getting to the nucleus of the problem . . . didnt the president head off to brazil while the north was still burning? They dont care . . . a few dead bodies, quiet returns to the north and everyone looks away until the next riot.

To buttress ur point. . .there are also reports that the president was fore warned months earlier by security reports. . . .sounds like some powerful blokes are behind the sect. . . . .cos the president did not react then . . . and now they chose to kill the guy rather than prosecute him. . . . .na wah ooo
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Hauwa1: 9:41pm On Jul 30, 2009
i dont trust them, who knows, he might have been sneaked out to Saudi , only in nigeria cunny man die wayo death.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by blacksta(m): 9:45pm On Jul 30, 2009
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by bawomolo(m): 9:45pm On Jul 30, 2009
how do you kill someone in custody?

jungle justice by the popo or a cover up?
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Beaf: 9:53pm On Jul 30, 2009
The group has benn known sinse 2003. In 2004 they went on a killing spree, the is their second outing.
It is thought that the only reason why nothing has been done about the group all this time, is that a lot of "big mens" children are involved; they don't want to embarass anybody in the oligarchy.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Fhemmmy: 9:57pm On Jul 30, 2009
Who are they fooling?
Let them show us his corpse, we have see the corpse of innocent kids on the road, let them show us his.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by NINETOFIVE(m): 9:58pm On Jul 30, 2009
davidylan:

Well I pretty much think this is a statement of fact. The problem in the Niger Delta would have been the reason why the government took this kind of measure this time around, so that it would serve as a justification for the action they would take on the Niger Delta militants that would refuse to lay down arms after the time given for the amnesty elapse, I know where this is going. Is not possible not to see that this problem came up because Sharia law was allowed in the north, if they are serious about this problem they would have started by scrapping sharia law in a country that is supposed to be secular state.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by MrCrackles(m): 9:58pm On Jul 30, 2009
Beaf:

The group has benn known sinse 2003. In 2004 they went on a killing spree, the is their second outing.
It is thought that the only reason why nothing has been done about the group all this time, is that a lot of "big mens" children are involved; they don't want to embarass anybody in the oligarchy.

Really shocked
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Beaf: 10:03pm On Jul 30, 2009
MrCrackles:

Really shocked

Wikipedia gives an even earlier time than 2003 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boko_Haram
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by kaypumpin2(m): 10:42pm On Jul 30, 2009
Now there is good enough reason and example to "wipe off" any village/community in the Niger Delta even at the slightest provocation.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by blacksta(m): 10:46pm On Jul 30, 2009
kay_pumpin:

Now there is good enough reason and example to "wipe off" any village/community in the Niger Delta even at the slightest provocation.

I dont think it would be that easy - The Niger delta is different terrain mostly swampy area very hard to police unlike the Northen where u have access to driveable roads. Mend is bit more sophisticated than the Boko haram.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by iniguy(m): 10:58pm On Jul 30, 2009
Now that's good news, kudos to the security agencies but why kill him when u had him in custody, why not prosecute him? hmmn. . .could there be more to this that meet the eyes? Where was the source of their sophisticated weapons, nigeriens and chadians were part of the sect, why are our borders so porous? What was the appeal of this group that even university lecturers resigned their appointments to join this sect! Lots and lots of questions.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by RichyBlacK(m): 11:02pm On Jul 30, 2009
I have nothing good to say about the actions of the Nigerian Army and their partners in evil, the Nigerian Police.

Restoring law and order is their duty, however, determining the fate of those in custody is why we have courts! This shameless act of killing a civilian in custody, has been the hallmark of our inept Nigerian Police for a very long time.

Yes, he was the leader of a violent sect, but that does not strip him of his fundamental human rights while in custody.

It was this same useless Nigerian Police that allowed marauding murders to seize Gideon Akaluka and behead him in that filthy hell hole called Kano!

With the cold-blooded murder of Mohammed Yusuf, it is very likely that hundreds of "Boko Haram" members, who surrendered to the evil Nigerian Police were summarily executed! What a shame!

This kind of extrajudicial killing may have inflamed members to carry out retaliatory attacks on the "men in black".

Hence, it is entirely possible that ALL the mayhem was caused by the Nigerian Police ignoring the rule of law and killing young men whose only crime was to chanting: "We are against Western education!".

No doubt, the Nigerian Police and their partners in evil, the Nigerian Army, have killed more innocent civilians in the last ten years than Boko Haram could ever kill in all of their existence.

Boko Haram may not be as dangerous as the Nigerian Police and the Nigerian Army!

1 Like

Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Bialegend(m): 11:03pm On Jul 30, 2009
NINETOFIVE:

Well I pretty much think this is a statement of fact. The problem in the Niger Delta would have been the reason why the government took this kind of measure this time around, so that it would serve as a justification for the action they would take on the Niger Delta militants that would refuse to lay down arms after the time given for the amnesty elapse, I know where this is going. Is not possible not to see that this problem came up because Sharia law was allowed in the north, if they are serious about this problem they would have started by scrapping sharia law in a country that is supposed to be secular state.
Boy, you first me on this one. Damn, you reason like a Nobel laurette. All the mumus wey dey this forum no go even think of reasoning why this particular action was taken against those moronic mohhamed sects.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by NINETOFIVE(m): 11:11pm On Jul 30, 2009
Bialegend:

Boy, you first me on this one. Damn, you reason like a Nobel laurette. All the mumus wey dey this forum no go even think of reasoning why this particular action was taken against those moronic mohhamed sects.

My Brother, na the only smart explanation to wetin dey happen right now.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by otokx(m): 11:37pm On Jul 30, 2009
this government has just introduced militancy into the northern region by killing that man without a fair hearing in a court of law

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Main Reason Igbos Want South South Minorities In Biafra / Some Quotes On Corruption, Governance, Leadership, Poverty And Hunger. / Niger APC Crisis Deepens As Party Investigates BOT Member

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.