Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,819 members, 7,802,623 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:40 PM

Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News (9849 Views)

New Sect Claims Responsibility For SARS Attack In Abuja -Desert Herald / Save The Unlawfully Detained Nigerian In Ukraine / Ibb Pleaded With Saudis To Release A Detained Nigerian Islamic Extremist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by larez(m): 7:50pm On Jul 31, 2009
Even John Hinkley who shot Ronald Reagan was only handcuffed and arrested when he surrendered without as much as a hair taken off his skin. He was tried and rendered incompetent due to mental issues. Since then, if I remember correctly, he was recently released out of a mental hospital. Nigeria has a long way to being civilized going by the standards of posts here on Nairaland. And then we complain when we are treated like Animals in foreign lands, while we are openly showing our barbaric tendencies to the world.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jul 31, 2009
larez:

Even John Hinkley who shot Ronald Reagan was only handcuffed and arrested when he surrendered without as much as a hair taken off his skin. He was tried and rendered incompetent due to mental issues. Since then, if I remember correctly, he was recently released out of a mental hospital. Nigeria has a long way to being civilized going by the standards of posts here on Nairaland. And then we complain when we are treated like Animals in foreign lands, while we are openly showing our barbaric tendencies to the world.

but what of the one who shot JFK?

He was assassinated while in police custody.

Politics is dirty, thats all.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by rhymz(m): 7:59pm On Jul 31, 2009
Yusuf earlier arrested, freed
However, it was gathered yesterday that the leader of the sect, Mohammed Yusuf, was earlier arrested by security agencies and taken to court for prosecution but an Abuja High Court set him free.
This fact came to light at a joint press briefing by the DHQ, the Police and the SSS even as it emerged that security agencies had been aware of his group's existence sine 1995 and had made all the intelligence reports on Yusuf's activities available to the appropriate quarters without any action taken.
After his group attacked a Police station in Maiduguri in 2008 during which 17 members of his sect were killed in the encounter, Yusuf was arrested on 13th November, 2008. On the 18th November, he was handed over to the Police for prosecution.
However, the Abuja High Court Judge in his wisdom decided there was no need to detain him and subsequently let him go.
Married to four wives with 12children, Mohamed Yusuf who was born on the 29th of January, 1970, hails from Girgir village in Jalasko Local Government Area of Yobe state.
Explaining that security agencies did not fail in their duties against the backdrop that the group survived till 2009 when they unleashed their terror, the Assistant Director, Public Relations of SSS, Marilyn Ogar said "intelligence was collected on his activities and passed to the appropriate quarters".
Earlier, Director of Defence Information, Colonel Mohammed Yerima, explained how the crisis snowballed into the present ugly situation saying, "a certain group of Islamic fundamentalists, led by one Mohammed Yusuf had in the recent past been engaging in some suspicious activities with security implications. The group Boko Haram is rabidly opposed to all forms of western education and civilization.
"They consider as their primary target for attacks, law enforcement agents, critical public infrastructure and centres of worship which in their view are opposed to their doctrines. It has been ascertained that the group did not emerge just of recent.
"They have been in existence as far back as 1995 under different names such as Ahlulsunna wal'jama'ah hijra.
"Security agencies have over this period been monitoring and containing their activities even when they transmuted to other names but with the same doctrine of intolerance.
"For instance, on the 13th November, 2008, the group's leader, Mohammed Yusuf and quite a number of his followers were arrested by security operatives and were handed over to the Inspector-General of Police for prosecution.
"However, they were subsequently granted bail by an Abuja high court on the 20th January 2009. Before then in 2007, one of his ardent disciples, Al-Amin who was also the Kano state leader of the group was arrested along with some of their members after an attack on a police station in Kano. He was also handed over to the police for prosecution. Similarly, between February and April 2009, Yusuf's second-in-command named Likakam, a Nigerien, was on two occasions arrested and repatriated to his country."
18 suspected Boko Haram members nabbed in Jos
In Jos, Plateau State, the police have arrested 18 people suspected to be linked to the Boko Haram sect. One of them, Shamsudeen Salisu Nakofa, was arrested with a large quantity of yet-to-be-sewn army camouflage and other things which he claimed he was taking to Bauchi to supply to members of the fundamentalist group.
Another suspect said to be the supplier of the bales of camouflage materials was also paraded.
Parading the suspects to newsmen yesterday, the state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Gregory Anyanting, said 16 others mostly youths from Katsina state including a Ghanaian and a Nigerien were arrested in a house in Jos and were being investigated to ascertain if they had any link with the sect.
He said the arrests followed security surveillance following the outbreak of violence in Bauchi and other states assuring that the police would do all it can to maintain peace in the state.
Answering questions from newsmen, Nakofa who denied being a member of Boko Haram said he was requested to supply the materials by members of the sect in Bauchi.
Boko Haram Sect Leader Killed
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Fhemmmy: 8:01pm On Jul 31, 2009
Inasmuch as i agreed that we shouldnt be killing anyhow or that our police be trigger happy.
I am sure if Osama Bin Laden is seen today, regardless how he is found, alive or dead, the body and know he is gone is all that matters.
I do agree that we need to sometimes allow justice to take its course, but i think we are forgetting that this dude ( if he is the real one oh) has made over 300 innocent Nigerian liter the streets of Nigeria, all in the name of fighting for something he believed in.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Beaf: 8:05pm On Jul 31, 2009
tpia.:

but what of the one who shot JFK?

He was assassinated while in police custody.

Politics is dirty, thats all.

He was not shot by police. He was shot by the mafia. Or should our police be like the mafia?
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 31, 2009
Beaf:

He was not shot by police. He was shot by the mafia. Or should our police be like the mafia?

my point is he was shot while in police custody.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by rhymz(m): 8:56pm On Jul 31, 2009
There's something sinister about the death of the leader of the sect.
1.Is it actually true that this sect sole intention was to forcefully spread sharia and islam all over the 36 states of Nigeria even when it's glaringly clear to the very erudite Yusuf,the sect leader that certain states are entirely dominated by christian(Southeast is a good example).This does't make sense,there is something fishy about this claim,looks like the story was cooked to fit a purpose.
2.Given the qualification of the man,especially,the fact that his qualification is western in itself,it makes no sense to claim that his sect is opposed to western education in its entirety and wanted to eradicate it by all means even if it meant getting violent about it.It is one thing to point out loopholes in western styled education and belive and it's another thing to insinuate total rejection of it with consequence of violence which is the story that we are being fed with.
3.Another question we are not asking is how come this guy and some of his key followerz were arrested and released several times even after it was alleged that the police attack and some other attacks were carried out by his followers in 2008.How come they have been in existence since 1999 and no1 raised an eyebrow,it was even alleged that when intelligence report got the goverments of Bauchi and Borno,thier reactions towards squashing the sect was different.While Bauchi government was willing to curb the group,that of Borno was reluctant,i wonder why?
4.And finally,how come the Nigerian police claimed to have caught the leader only to come back later to announce his death in custody,was in a shout out while in custody or could it be that he was killed in his bid to escape or better still the authorities are cooking all these up.It beats my imagination that he was interviewed in custody by a BBC african correspendent only to be pronounced dead in a shoot out.All these do not add up at all,somebody is trying to cover his tracks and is cooking up stories.It is either this guy was killed to shut him up or he was not even killed in the first place.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by otokx(m): 9:45pm On Jul 31, 2009
that chappy may not even be dead.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Mublock90: 9:52pm On Jul 31, 2009
All these Bigots blaming Islam are as brainwashed as the boko haram sect, there is some deep shit going on in Naija that we're not aware of
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Fhemmmy: 9:55pm On Jul 31, 2009
Mublock90:

All these Bigots blaming Islam are as brainwashed as the boko haram sect, there is some deep shit going on in Naija that we're not aware of

So who do we blame and what was Yusuf fighting for?
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 31, 2009
good and decisive action on yaradua's part.
my folks are in maid and i was worried sick.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by sosisi(f): 10:07pm On Jul 31, 2009
My cousin is doing NYSC in Sokoto
Thank God she's safe.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by kshow1(m): 11:03pm On Jul 31, 2009
Guys me think the dude was kill in police custody cos he could spill some beans.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by blackspade(m): 11:14pm On Jul 31, 2009
Double post.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by skillbank(m): 8:21am On Aug 01, 2009
All the posters av tokd well.infact,there is no mumu here@nobel laurette
the onlything that baffle is the same questn people has askin"WHY WOULD THEY KILL A MAN IN CUSTODY".
I am quiet sure the violence is not ending here because any time the name of any islamic sect come up,what comes to mind never die until ur bones are rotten and yours faithfully there bones is nm yet rotten.they just went on a recess for re-enforcement.
An average user of english language can tell from the tone of the policeman's statement that he thinks they had done the best thing in d world,which cannot b so if they av the accent of the ,
The next time any of the succesful world leader want to com to africa and decide to go to togo we will b sayin rubbish around
HA! NIGERIA,THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY IS WATCHING
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by skillbank(m): 8:21am On Aug 01, 2009
the onlything that baffle is the same questn people has askin"WHY WOULD THEY KILL A MAN IN CUSTODY".
I am quiet sure the violence is not ending here because any time the name of any islamic sect come up,what comes to mind never die until ur bones are rotten and yours faithfully there bones is nm yet rotten.they just went on a recess for re-enforcement.
An average user of english language can tell from the tone of the policeman's statement that he thinks they had done the best thing in d world,which cannot b so if they av the accent of the ,
The next time any of the succesful world leader want to com to africa and decide to go to togo we will b sayin rubbish around
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by skillbank(m): 8:22am On Aug 01, 2009
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by skillbank(m): 8:22am On Aug 01, 2009
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by tempest01(m): 9:44am On Aug 01, 2009
Reply(click once, Then wait) angry
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by otokx(m): 10:16am On Aug 01, 2009
Our human rights record has just reached an all time low with this unfortunate incident. Its becoming so obvious that the Nigerian police have some explanations to do.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by LadyT(f): 10:20am On Aug 01, 2009
otokx:

Our human rights record has just reached an all time low with this unfortunate incident. Its becoming so obvious that the Nigerian police have some explanations to do.

Am I missing something?

What mercy were shown to the 300 or so who were killed during these senseless clashes?
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Tsiya(m): 10:23am On Aug 01, 2009
LadyT:

Am I missing something?

What mercy were shown [b]to the 300 or so who were killed during these senseles[/b]s clashes?

These 300 or so people killed are killed mostly by the police.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by LadyT(f): 10:29am On Aug 01, 2009
Tsiya:

These 300 or so people killed are killed mostly by the police.

Oh please would our stupid police be on the rampage if it was not for these BOKO HARAM animals?

I am fed up of the disgusting problems created by these Islamic nutcases.

And moderate Muslims are way too passive. Abeg roll on the Nigeria break up jare hisssssss
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by otokx(m): 10:30am On Aug 01, 2009
Every human being, good, bad or evil has some fundamental human rights. The death toll is way above 600 and include both islamists, security agents and civilians.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by otokx(m): 10:31am On Aug 01, 2009
Those praying for the break up of our beloved country are just wasting their time.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by opp688: 10:38am On Aug 01, 2009
I think Yar'adua is trying hide something by ordering the security operatives to kill anyone they caught in connection with the "Boko Haram" movement. Mohammad Yusuf deserve a fair hearing. If Harry Okar would be realised unconditionally, why would Yusuf be executed by the government? Furthermore, if Niger-Delta militant would be granted amnesty by Yar'adua, why not the Boko Haram movement?
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by rhymz(m): 10:49am On Aug 01, 2009
Opp688,what exactly is Ur point abi U just want to see ur own post on d thread.Armnesty to Boko foolz?Are U kidding me,those guyz re terrorists.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Beaf: 10:53am On Aug 01, 2009
opp688:

I think Yar'adua is trying hide something by ordering the security operatives to kill anyone they caught in connection with the "Boko Haram" movement. Mohammad Yusuf deserve a fair hearing. If Harry Okar would be realised unconditionally, why would Yusuf be executed by the government? Furthermore, if Niger-Delta militant would be granted amnesty by Yar'adua, why not the Boko Haram movement?

I agree that the executions are a disgrace, but the rest of your post is very stupid.
How can the Boko Haram who were fighting against education be compared to Niger Delta people fight against oppression? Sinse 1999, 20 ND communities have been erased from the map, Saro Wiwa was murdered, 50,000 have been shot and much more. All because we are minorities. Damn you, I hope Yusuf was your brother.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by opp688: 10:57am On Aug 01, 2009
Rhymz, if Boko Haram are terrorist what would you call Niger-Delta militants, freedom fighters? As far as i'm concern they are murderers.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by opp688: 11:03am On Aug 01, 2009
Beaf, Niger-Delta militants are not fighting oppression, they are cold blooded murderers and they are ungrateful idiots. There is Niger-Delta development Commission and Ministry for Niger-Delta. They should fight their leader not the government. Damn you and your militants too.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Rogo: 11:18am On Aug 01, 2009
opp688:

Beaf, Niger-Delta militants are not fighting oppression, they are cold blooded murderers and they are ungrateful idiots. There is Niger-Delta development Commission and Ministry for Niger-Delta. They should fight their leader not the government. Damn you and your militants too.

i don't blame you cos you can insult your father head here, after the region having been taking care of your people. don't they is good news for you. expect a bomb in your house lol.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Beaf: 11:24am On Aug 01, 2009
opp688:

This is why God is now punishing you people. Without any outside interefence you bastards have started killing yourselves!
Don't come here crying like a baby because your bleeped up brother executed your more bleeped up brother. Bastard. Theives.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Seven Docked For Stealing Govt Goat In Osun / Oba Of Lagos Is Not Even Yoruba / Ibadan Is Getting Hot Right Now... Be Safe!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.