Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,418 members, 7,781,218 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:48 AM

His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off (41734 Views)

Vacancy! Errand Boy Dispatcher Is Urgently Needed For Immediate Employment. / Vacancy! We Urgently Need A Female Sales/office Assistant & An Errand Boy / Vacancy For The Position Of Office Assistant/errand Boy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by onismate: 4:50am On Apr 07, 2016
Life is a journey and we never can tell who we meet on the way. My own case is slightly similar to that of Abraham in the Bible who came across an Angel. Unknowingly, he gave them bread and took care of them, that was where he was promised a child from God, and the rest is history.

My mom was an Akara seller who struggled to put I and my brothers through school. And life isn’t easy at all will all its short comings.

2014 after graduating from the university and awaiting my NYSC, I moved to Port Harcourt to join my uncle and his family. I started working in a Business center in Choba, close to Uniport pending till I go for my NYSC. Due to it’s a student environment and its 8am to 6pm, and the manager just started new in the area, I still managed the pay, N8,000. Customer response was very poor. Sometimes I do stay the whole day without any person coming to do any printing, photocopy or any job in my center.

This particular Wednesday afternoon after a rough morning. PHCN disconnected our power without no good reasons. So we were just left to use generator. Secondly, a man came and did a job without paying. It really hurts. I thought I had had enough that morning. Coming to afternoon, I was in the shop when a lady just walked in. the way she badged in sef was annoying. She was in a haste and looked angry. She asked if we have internet service. I told her we do. She said I should Google some works, do printing and photocopy for her. I just smiled. “My friend come and do this things for me, you are just looking and smiling like a goat,” she shouted at me. I was surprised because of her outburst as if I was her slave. I still kept my cool and calmness as I collected the work from her. “Don’t you people have A.C here?” she asked. I told her we didn’t. Na so she begin complain that other business centers have but it seemed we are so wretched. She couldn’t just understand why she was just raining curses on me. We have never met before neither has she been to our center before. I kept cool and told her not to worry that we would get A.C. I began her work. At a time she began complaining that I was too slow and I wasn’t getting the right results she wanted from Google and I was wasting her time. I looked at her and smiled and kept calm even when I was boiling inside me. I looked at her and told her to calm down that she will get what she is looking for. She began comparing our center with other big centers around Uniport. That if not because the other big business centers were full of people working she wouldn’t have come to our own. I began pleading with her to exercise patience. I even went as far as getting her refreshment when she said she wanted to get something to eat. I became the errand boy. After about 3 hours of work. After I don burn about 1gb of data and the printing and photocopies, she gave me N350. I tried to explain to her that her money was N2,750, but madam no gree. She said she wasn’t going to pay for the internet service because I didn’t get the actual things she wanted. And infact sef I don’t deserve to be paid. The thing pained me but I still smiled, trying to be friendly. But I no fit drag with her. I had to let go as she left. But she didn’t leave without telling me that I was useless in that shop, that my Oga should even employ another person. And she packed the work she said I didn’t don well. She carry dem go, and na generator I take run the work. To think she was very beautiful, young with that kind of attitude. I was really troubled when I got home. I felt humiliated but I still encouraged myself.

The next day, I was sitting in the shop when the troublesome woman that woman that didn’t pay me the previous day came in. I greeted her so well as if nothing happened the previous. And she replied me well, asking me how my night was. I was surprised, that was a woman that was abusing me, saying she won’t come to our shop again. Everything about her seems to have changed that day as she told me that her project supervisor approved and gave an excellent recommendation of her work, the one I help her with the previous day. I smiled in happiness. Na so she begin apologize for what she did the previous day. She said I should just forgive her because she had a bad day in her office and one of her kid was sick, couple with her pregnancy. She gave me money for the previous day and additional N1,000 for me. She went out and bought snacks for me oo. She asked me for my name and number. I told her I was a graduate and awaiting NYSC. She said I should call her mummy Nifemi. She asked why I didn’t even react when she was raining abuses the previous day, I was just smiling. I told her I am slow to anger. She said she liked my nature, that I know how to handle customers.

That was how became friends and she became a special customer. Infact she directed all her friends doing PhD and masters degree to our business center to be doing their works. Before we know wetin dey happen our shop don dey full with so many customers. Sometimes she calls me to come and collect work from her house to do for her. She introduced me to her husband sef and I became a very good friend to the family. Their family is very rich. Her husband works in a popular gas firm in Port Harcourt. They deal in supplies, marine gas. The company is owned by the husband, Daddy Nifemi.
Fortunately, when I printed my call-up letter, I was so surprised that I was posted to Rivers state. I was happy oo even though I wanted Abuja. Unfortunately, my uncle I was staying with was transferred to Abia state. He and his family moved to Abia while I began my PPA in Akuku-toru LGA. Even when I had stopped work at the business center, mummy and daddy Nifemi still keep intouch with me. Sometimes they do call me and I go to spend weekends in their house. At a time when am less busy, daddy Nifemi do take me along to work as his personal assistance (PA). He even takes me to oil rigs. After the outings, he would give me some money. They trusted me to the extent that I was part of the few they allow into their home and even stay with them. Sometimes I do leave Abonuma to Port Harcourt to bring back their kids from school. i help in supervising the cleaning of their homes. Sometimes they will give me money and some other times they won’t. I go just come back empty handed, but I didn’t care. My friends would laugh at me that am an errand boy. Dem go say na house boy and plate I dey wash for daddy Nifemi’s mansion.

One particular incident, I had withdrawn all my money and sent to my mom and siblings for upkeep and school. I barely had money on me. Daddy Nifemi invited me to their house for a paper work. I went and spent 3 days there and when I was coming back nothing was given to me. Even though I expected it but never saw, I was very broke. I managed to get to Abonuma to my friends laughing at me that my errand didn’t work that day. Dem say my errand for that day na in vein because I was not given money. Though I never complained because the Nifemis are trying so well for me. And I was doing everything for them from the bottom of my heart.
On the 5th of January 2016 after I had resumed to my PPA, daddy Nifemi called me that I should come to Port Harcourt immediately that he wants me to do something for him since corpers are yet to resume in their schools. Na so I go Port Harcourt. We went to an oil rig with his workers. After 2 days with him, when we got to his house in Port Harcourt. He said he has bought a new car to his fleets. He handed me the key to one his cars, a Honda EOD. He said I should take it, and the next day he would follow me to go and change ownership and paper works to my name. He also gave me an appointment letter that I have been automatically employed in his gas company. He said I should officially resume after my passing our parade (POP), but I will still be on salary for the remaining months of my service. He also gave me money for my project management program. I had once told him that I will be doing the course after my service. He gave me money and asked me to register immediately because I will use the knowledge in his company. I was so happy because I never expected it. One of the things he told me was that I am loyal and he had been watching me. He admired my approach to things.
Men and brethren, na so my life don change oooo. I am not telling this story to brag but to inspire us. I began to reminisce when I first met mummy Nifemi at my former working place. As she was ranting that day, what of if I had shouted at her? What of if I abused and chased her arrogantly from the shop? With her attitude, what of if I had treated her badly the way she did, she may not have returned back and I might not get to see her again. I might not have seen this kind of opportunity. I didn’t judge her from the attitude she portrayed that day, I still welcomed her the next day, which made us become close and now I am favoured. Now the errand boy has become the Oga. My life has changed. Na my friends wan start to run errand for me now.

http://www.hovabuzz.com/frontline/1120-they-mocked-me-but-now-the-errand-boy-has-turned-to-a-big-boy

471 Likes 56 Shares

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by Nobody: 5:17am On Apr 07, 2016
You forgot to write that you woke up at the end.

Modified: Oh Gawd!!! Now I know what it means to be FTC. Likes just dey rain in anyhow sha!!

Lalasticlala abeg come make we drink Red Label.
Simon u can read this... join our party!!!

180 Likes 7 Shares

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by overdrive(m): 5:17am On Apr 07, 2016
@op even an angel would have exploded after those insults from mummy nifemi!

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by Evidence1000(m): 5:41am On Apr 07, 2016
Bravo ! Nice work of fiction

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by Nobody: 5:43am On Apr 07, 2016
nice one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by Flexherbal(m): 5:55am On Apr 07, 2016
What an inspiring write up.
Some people work for people in vain. It is God that truly reward. It is good to be selfless sometimes.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by Kingzy4pep(m): 5:57am On Apr 07, 2016
That's great. But honestly, I doubt if I would be able to take those insults... Infact, I won't.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by Smellymouth: 6:03am On Apr 07, 2016
OP::: grin cheesy cheesy

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by sholay2011(m): 6:13am On Apr 07, 2016
banttieman:
You forgot to write that you woke up at the end.
Oh my....! grin NLers get bad mouth...and bad mind.

The story may just be true you know (even if it's garnished to make it more interesting).

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by kennynelcon(m): 6:25am On Apr 07, 2016
Lol, see flows...looks like Ghana #50 novels.
Can't say anyway...thank God for you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by MilesLamar(m): 6:26am On Apr 07, 2016
When it get to front page.. I will read undecided

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by Nobody: 6:31am On Apr 07, 2016
sholay2011:

Oh my....! grin NLers get bad mouth...and bad mind.

The story may just be true you know (even if it's garnished to make it more interesting).

Hahahahaha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by Jclement(m): 6:31am On Apr 07, 2016
patience is a virtue... congrats bro

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by Nobody: 6:44am On Apr 07, 2016
wooww.. Im inspired o. Loyalty nd patience pays

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by Nobody: 6:45am On Apr 07, 2016
Was this really written by a university graduate?

Nigeria has failed.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by valmunich(m): 7:02am On Apr 07, 2016
Wow... I find it somewhat hard to buy your story tho... Seems concocted

That said, your flair at anger management is mind-blowing, I'm not sure I can stomach that lady's rude and venomous outburst the way you did.. Lord knows I just won't... Damn!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by dedons: 7:07am On Apr 07, 2016
I've watched the nollywood movie before.
Shebi na Pete Edochie and Ngozi Ezeonu be daddy and mummy Nifemi respectively.
And na Desmond Elliot be the guy.
Just that i've forgotten the movie title.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by stanvesco(m): 7:12am On Apr 07, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Was this really written by a university graduate?

Nigeria has failed.

what's ur point Oga;
his diction
his composition
his perseverance
or he made mistakes.....
my Broda

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by cirmuell(m): 7:15am On Apr 07, 2016
Bullshiiiit....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by yomalex(m): 7:27am On Apr 07, 2016
Interesting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by Emmysteve9(m): 7:27am On Apr 07, 2016
dedons:
I've watched the nollywood movie before.

Shebi na Pete Edochie and Ngozi Ezeonu be daddy and mummy Nifemi respectively.

And na Desmond Elliot be the guy.

Just that i've forgotten the movie title.
From Zero to Hero. Jim Iyke, Hanks Anuku are some of the friends that called him errand boy in the movie. Very interesting film

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by dedons: 7:31am On Apr 07, 2016
Emmysteve9:
From Zero to Hero. Jim Iyke, Hanks Anuku are some of the friends that called him errand boy in the movie. Very interesting film
chai!

Chop knuckle bro.

You've really watched it.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by Nobody: 7:43am On Apr 07, 2016
9c one... GOD BLESS THE NIFEMIS

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by siegfried99(m): 7:58am On Apr 07, 2016
Emmysteve9:

grin cheesy

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by Philomath1212: 8:14am On Apr 07, 2016
The Nifemis... Truly the Nifemis

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by escandon(m): 8:15am On Apr 07, 2016
After everything who e Epp kiss

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by Nobody: 8:19am On Apr 07, 2016
We call this your story akuko mike Ejeagha in Igboland!

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by MrTeeo: 8:29am On Apr 07, 2016
And sensless youths would say it's work of fiction. I got my first job in a somewhat similar situation. I was CLO during nysc. And I helped a Corper with clearance. The issue almost put me in trouble as my LI was pissed when she found out. Apparently she wanted to collect money from the lady and I spoilt her runs.
A week after Nysc the lady called that her firm was hiring and she wants me to apply. That was how I got my first job.

Things like this still happen.

Congrats OP

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by chacoonder(m): 9:06am On Apr 07, 2016
This reminds me of an old adage;..Sùúrù ni baba Ìwà.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by Nobody: 9:09am On Apr 07, 2016
Somebody came to your business, you did work of over 2700 naira and she gave you only 350 and you agreed without a fuss?? in addition to her insults and bad attitude?? Bro why you dey lie like this?? I jut dey look you

77 Likes 2 Shares

Re: His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off by JustCurious: 9:18am On Apr 07, 2016
Congratulations!

LOL at this:
Na my friends wan start to run errand for me now
smiley

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Sister Wants To Waste 6months Of My Years In The US / CBN TIES Loans & Grants For Graduates' Smes / How A Single Button Got Me Turned Down At An Interview Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.