Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes (5919 Views)

Today Is World's No Bra Day / 10 List Of Nigerian Foods To Reverse And Beat Diabetes / Ways To Beat Diabetes Type 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by Omooba77: 8:05am On Apr 07, 2016
The World Health Day is a global health awareness day celebrated every year on 7 April, under the sponsorship of the World Health Organization (WHO).

This year’s World Health Day Theme is World Health Day 2016: Beat Diabetes.

Diabetes a largely preventable and treatable non-communicable disease that is rapidly increasing in numbers in many countries, most dramatically in low- and middle-income countries.

Simple lifestyle measures have been shown to be effective in preventing or delaying the onset of type 2 diabetes (commoner in young and older adults), including maintaining normal body weight, engaging in regular physical activity, and eating a healthy diet.

Diabetes can be controlled and managed to prevent complications through diagnosis, self-management education, and affordable treatment.

The WHO estimates about 350 million people in the world have diabetes, with the disease the direct cause of some 1.5 million deaths. The goals of World Health Day 2016 are (1) scale up prevention, (2) strengthen care, and (3) enhance surveillance.

Source: WHO
Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by dominique(f): 8:47am On Apr 07, 2016
Yet some crooks will come here and claim they have 'herbs' that cure diabetes and some people will actually believe them. Diabetes can only be prevented and managed effectively, sadly no cure yet. Let's enlighten ourselves please.

2 Likes

Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by Omooba77: 10:14am On Apr 07, 2016
dominique:
Yet some crooks will come here and claim they have 'herbs' that cure diabetes and some people will actually believe them. Diabetes can only be prevented and managed effectively, sadly no cure yet. Let's enlighten ourselves please.
Thanks God bless

1 Like

Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by Omooba77: 10:38am On Apr 07, 2016
Diabetes is more of herediatry and what we consume. Eat to live and live to eat

3 Likes

Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by oluseyiforjesus(m): 2:38pm On Apr 07, 2016
Non of us shall be diabetic in Jesus Name.
Help urslf by quitting smoking n alcohol
Eat more fruits n vegetables
Do plenty exercise
Stop over stressing yourself (even dou Nigeria economy no allow us)
And move closer to God (cos witch n wizard can cause spiritual diabetes) watch Emmanuel Tv, champion Tv, prophetic Tv Mercy Tv b4 u go for my head on ds last point

5 Likes

Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by Ada9103(f): 2:38pm On Apr 07, 2016
OK
OK
OK
OK
OK
Ok
Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by charsobodo(m): 2:38pm On Apr 07, 2016
Diabetes is a killer disease, you must watch what goes into your mouth, the worse part is that the disease has no proven cure, it can only be controlled, so watch your diet and do yourself some good by staying away from excessively sugary foods.

1 Like

Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by laurel03(m): 2:41pm On Apr 07, 2016
Diabetes is 4 real....
Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by Fresia01(f): 2:42pm On Apr 07, 2016
D only sickness dat makes u hate sweet things...very terrible and deadly.

1 Like

Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by 989900: 2:42pm On Apr 07, 2016
You've got to differentiate: Type 1, Type 1.5, or Type 2. It's a whole lot of difference.

Both are hardly curable, but type 2 is easier to prevent, can be reversed (yes it can, in some cases), can be managed to docile levels.

Type 1 is a whole different ball game, I could say things about it, but I'd be violating the forum rules here.

However, it is almost not curable, though we've seen remissions/cures in some few cases (with alternatives). It can be well managed, it can be prevented, or I'd say risk of it happening in kids can be reduced -- new scientific and alternative researches prove that.

Another thing to note about Type 1 is, there is a 'Type 1.5'.

On the orthodox front for Type 1, there are promising clinical trials going on that looks so good eliminating the need for regular insulin shots.

There is actually one of particular interest that will rejuvenate the pancreas, regenerating islet cells -- it's basically an auto-immune disease anyways. Fingers crossed on this one -- trials are in phase 2 already.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by laurel03(m): 2:45pm On Apr 07, 2016
oluseyiforjesus:
dey deceive urself... Diabetes no be issue of prayer ooo... Its hereditary and from food we eat also... My mum is a xtain and she have it.. U better start eating healthly

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by oluseyiforjesus(m): 2:49pm On Apr 07, 2016
laurel03:
dey deceive urself
u smoke n drink alcohol?
Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by Lexusgs430: 2:49pm On Apr 07, 2016
oluseyiforjesus:

Diabetes - Is not only caused by smoking and drinking alcohol.
Type 1 - Can be inherited
Type 2 - Lifestyle choice

1 Like

Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by Lexusgs430: 2:51pm On Apr 07, 2016
Simply do a Blood/Sugar check,if you regularly have blackouts!!!
If you urinate too frequently
If you thirst for water too easily
If your sustained injury, does not heal on time
If you urination is an ant hotspot
Etc etc etc
Best to do a baseline check!!!

NB: On your birthday, make it a habit to do a vital checks sign!!!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by oluseyiforjesus(m): 2:51pm On Apr 07, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Diabetes - Is not only caused by smoking and drinking alcohol.
Type 1 - Can be inherited
type one not manageable
Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by Lexusgs430: 2:54pm On Apr 07, 2016
oluseyiforjesus:
type one not manageable
I concur!!!

1 Like

Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by laurel03(m): 2:55pm On Apr 07, 2016
oluseyiforjesus:
u smoke n drink alcohol?
I will ask google
Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by 9jatatafo(m): 2:56pm On Apr 07, 2016
dominique:

Those are agents of death and I hate them with passion. Watching what we eat, regular exercise of about 30 minutes a day, checking blood sugar level regularly and taking oral or insulin shot is the way forward.
Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by Gavel(m): 3:03pm On Apr 07, 2016
The WHO believes that by 2020 about 70-75% of persons living in subsaharan West Africa (Nigeria happens to be the most populated) would be living with chronic (incurable) diseases of which diabetes mellitus is one. Guys, let's endeavour to eat less carbohydrate in order not to overwork our pancreas and get down with this deadly ailment. Our body needs just 5% carbohydrate, 15% protein, 30% fruits and vegetables and 50% whole grains and nuts.

May God bless us all.

Gavel.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by Omooba77: 3:18pm On Apr 07, 2016
Diabetes is a global epidemic. Just consider the following from the World Health Organization’s fact sheet on diabetes:

-In 2014 the global prevalence of diabetes was estimated to be 9% among adults aged 18+ years
-In 2012, an estimated 1.5 million deaths were directly caused by diabetes
-More than 80% of diabetes deaths occur in low- and middle-income countries
-WHO projects that diabetes will be the 7th leading cause of death in 2030

Most everyone in the U.S. has likely felt the burden of diabetes in one way or the other, but in low and middle income, the burden of diabetes is felt even more strongly, as poor access to health services is coupled with a lack of primary health care education.

A Lack of Money to Treat Diabetes

Though insulin was discovered 95 years ago, children and young people across the world still suffer or die from preventable complications because of a lack of insulin. This is due to limited access to insulin globally, particularly in many parts of the developing world. What’s more, even when insulin is available, many families struggle with the cost of insulin and test strips because the cost is so disproportionate to their average monthly income. As of 2012, 12.7% of people across the world live on less than $2 a day. With an income this limited, many of those afflicted with type 1 diabetes simply can’t afford the medicine they need every day. With around 78,000 children under 15 being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes each year, the demand for insulin is only increasing.

A Lack of Type 1 Diabetes Education

In addition to poor access to medical supplies in low-income and middle-income countries, education on living with diabetes is severely lacking in developing countries. Without adequate diabetes education and support, living a full, productive and healthy life with diabetes can be nearly impossible. Even with access to insulin, not knowing how to properly manage your diabetes has severe health repercussions.
What’s more, myths about diabetes abound in many developing nations. A study in India, which has the largest number of patients with diabetes and is known as the “Diabetes capital of the world,” found that nearly half of adult patients surveyed believed that diabetes can be cured by herbal treatment and that bitter foods reduce the elevated blood sugar levels. Misconceptions and myths such as these result from insufficient education and awareness about type 1 diabetes, and only serve to increase the economic and public health burdens of diabetes in low-income and middle-income countries.

The Cyclical Challenges of Diabetes

To make matters worse, the problems of diabetes globally aren’t solely a lack of medication and healthcare. Rather, it becomes cyclical, creating a challenge to not just thrive, but survive.

Consider the child who has diabetes but has inadequate access to insulin and test strips, leading to recurring bouts of diabetic ketoacidosis. Because of this, he can’t attend school regularly. By the time he reaches adulthood, his education is severely lacking. This affects his ability to get a job that pays enough to cover the cost of supplies to manage his diabetes in adulthood. In addition to not being able to afford the medical supplies he needs, his lower level of education means that he’s statistically more likely to believe common myths and misconceptions regarding diabetes, making it even harder to manage.

Ultimately, living with diabetes presents unique challenges no matter where you live, but living with type 1 diabetes in low-income and middle-income countries can significantly exacerbate these challenges

1 Like

Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by sonnie10: 3:53pm On Apr 07, 2016
Smoking and excessive alcohol consumption are some of the risk factors of diabetes. Unfortunately, most people do not go for periodic physical checkup in Nigeria due to obvious reasons. One of the ways to know or monitor you cumulative blood sugar level is by doing the A1C test. This test is more detailed than the simple finger stick test. It tells you how much sugar (blood glucose) you have had in your system over the period of about 3 months. If your A1C is below 5.7, then you don't have to worry (continue to do what you have been doing). Anytime above that number is pre-diabetic, 7.2 is an indication of diabetes.

Normally, your doctor would work with you to set up a plan which usually would be focused on diet, exercise and in some cases medication to help manage the disease. Diabetes kills slowly but steadily, one may not show overt symptoms for a couple of years but by the time they start manifesting, it has led to other complications. Do not take any medication except those prescribed by your doctor. People have different physiological issues that might contraindicate with certain medications.

Your BMI (Body Mass Index) is also an important indication about your health. There is a strong correlation between obesity and diabetes.

Conditions such as blurry vision, poor erection in men, frequent urination, heart disease, renal disease (Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) may occur), stroke, may come with diabetes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by Genius101(m): 4:06pm On Apr 07, 2016
pls house i seem to be urinating frequently though that is the only diabetes symptoms am experiencing as my blood sugar level is below 100 plus my urine culture test was good according to my doctor who gave me some anti biotic to treat urinary tract infection nd said i ve no diabetes buh even after taking the drugs i still urinate frequently..pls help
Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by SamOyovwi: 4:15pm On Apr 07, 2016
989900:
You've got to differentiate: Type 1, Type 1.5, or Type 2. It's a whole lot of difference.

Both are hardly curable, but type 2 is easier to prevent, can be reversed (yes it can, in some cases), can be managed to docile levels.

Type 1 is a whole different ball game, I could say things about it, but I'd be violating the forum rules here.

However, it is almost not curable, though we've seen remissions/cures in some few cases (with alternatives). It can be well managed, it can be prevented, or I'd say risk of it happening in kids can be reduced -- new scientific and alternative researches prove that.

Another thing to note about Type 1 is, there is a 'Type 1.5'.

On the orthodox front for Type 1, there are promising clinical trials going on that looks so good eliminating the need for regular insulin shots.

There is actually one of particular interest that will rejuvenate the pancreas, regenerating islet cells -- it's basically an auto-immune disease anyways. Fingers crossed on this one -- trials are in phase 2 already.

5 years into this and it has being a struggle. Type 1 diabetes is hard to manage. We should all watch what we eat. The doctors are not telling us the truth on how to stay clear from this because there's a big market for this insulin drug used for the control. Stay clear from sugary foods, beverages and the rest. If you're addicted to these, you might be getting set for type 1 diabetes
Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by remzytimer: 4:16pm On Apr 07, 2016
Doctors In The House Please Help.
My son's scrotum occasionally swells, it happen for hours or more at time when he was two years and it stopped, we thought it has gone but surprisingly it happened yesterday again....pls I need medical advise.
Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by sonnie10: 4:20pm On Apr 07, 2016
Fresia01:
D only sickness dat makes u hate sweet things...very terrible and deadly.

Not only sweet thing. Foods like Eba, fufu, rice, yam, spagettigi, bread, noodles, cassava, are all included in the no-no list for diabetics.
Re: Today Is World Health Day, Theme: Beat Diabetes by sonnie10: 4:27pm On Apr 07, 2016
remzytimer:
Doctors In The House Please Help.
My son's scrotum occasionally swells, it happen for hours or more at time when he was two years and it stopped, we thought it has gone but surprisingly it happened yesterday again....pls I need medical advise.

Take him to the doctor. Ask if they could check for hernia, hopefully it is not. However is it a very simple surgery and the patient is up doing in a short period of time.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Itchy Ear? You Might Just Have A Cricket In It... / Ebola Virus Pictures- This Is Scary (warning To Viewers) / COVID-19 Update For March 7 2021 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.