Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,922 members, 7,799,123 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:39 PM

Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast (3248 Views)

Download "KIT Browser" Very Fast Browser Designed By A 19-year Old Nigerian / How Good Are You At Programming / Is There Any Chance That A Female Can Become A Very Good Programmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by LxpG(m): 1:07pm On Jul 31, 2009
Hello nairalanders, please I have been reading the deitel c++ how to program for months now and I seem not to be moving at all. i practice what I read freom the book but its like they keep on hooking me up with boring jagons, please is there anyone who knows how I can learn my c++(.net) in a fast and interesting way? I could also use links to ebooks. pls I don dey dulled for c++. I LOVE PRIGRAMMING!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by Seun(m): 2:13pm On Jul 31, 2009
Use a user-friendly language if you want to learn fast. C# or Python.
Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by beknown(m): 4:04pm On Jul 31, 2009
Practice more and give yourself a small real project to implement. For example: Implement a Decision Support System for any company of your choice.

After going through any book or eBook, put your theory into practice by giving yourself a project to implement.

During implementation of your small project, you will see complex tasks and that will make you want to know how to solve more complex problems. You may find that your current book may not cover some serious problem topic, then check the web and other books. Do not give up because that is what makes a Programming Pro.

Do not be totally dependent on the Book or eBook. Try to work outside the book and use your little creativity from beginning. Be ready to try real and serious codes. Make sure you do not try complex code within a company live environment so that you do not do any damage.

You will be surprised at your capability in a short while.
Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by dueal(m): 4:25pm On Jul 31, 2009
Do u want to learn real quick!? I hear there's this plastic surgery that turns ur brain to a sponge!! Stop dreaming friend. Visit www.softlookup.com and get the c++ tutorial it's the kicker. Also google: digital mars c++ compiler it's a cmd line compiler. As a beginner it's best not to think of the language as being the same thing as the visual IDE u use. Hope it helps. If u've never programmed then start with javascript.
Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by celesto: 4:53pm On Jul 31, 2009
dueal:

As a beginner it's best not to think of the language as being the same thing as the visual IDE u use.

Take this advice really serious or you'll be trapped on one platform!!!

All the best.
Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by blacksta(m): 5:26pm On Jul 31, 2009
No doubt it may seem boring but u just have keep at it - To keep the motivation going - look for exercises or problem to solve with what u have just learn . The best way to learn any language requires effort - You just have to practice , practice and more practise - most important find an expert in the language and read their code - u will so surprised how fast u will develop in any language u have chosen to learn.
Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by Cactus(m): 11:43am On Aug 01, 2009
There is no way to get good at programming fast except through persistent practice.

Having a good logical, analytical, and critical thinking skills definitely help improve your work process. Looking at a problem, you could rapidly identify the most appropriate algorithm.

You just have to keep trying. You have studied for months and dont seem to be improving as you said. If you are truly interested in improving your programming skills, you just have to keep trying but you have to determine by yourself, is programming what I really want to do?

There are other aspects of IT that are fantastic as well. Know what yourself and what you seek.
Once you are able to learn a programming language, might be relatively easier to pickup others.

A professional athlete like lebron james or asafa powell, they have the talent but they keep practicing to continually improve and be the best possible.

Dont give up
Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by LxpG(m): 2:16am On Aug 03, 2009
Thanks everyone for your help.

@cactus: thnks 4 ur hlp. Can u pls enlighten we on this other fantastic aspect of I.T.
Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by skydancer: 7:53pm On Aug 03, 2009
It depends on your purpose of learning. Are you learning to get a certification? Or are you learning for the knowledge? Or are you learning it because there is an application you want to design? Programming is a very vast topic and many people know things others don't. I can help you anyway. wink
Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by Kobojunkie: 5:11pm On Mar 28, 2012
If learning because you are passionate about programming and learning new things, then the best way is to pick a project, and as you read, build on your knowledge and ideas of how to implement said project. And remember you actually have to build the thing. The more challenging the project, the better.
Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by SoftVersion(m): 6:59pm On Mar 28, 2012
Kobojunkie: If learning because you are passionate about programming and learning new things, then the best way is to pick a project, and as you read, build on your knowledge and ideas of how to implement said project. And remember you actually have to build the thing. The more challenging the project, the better.

I always try that but I gat confused along the way, I hate asking questions on NL, most nlanders will take as stupidity and I‘m better than some of them anyway. This makes better and somehow learn slower.
Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by Fayimora(m): 7:55pm On Mar 28, 2012
SoftVersion:

I always try that but I gat confused along the way, I hate asking questions on NL, most nlanders will take as stupidity and I‘m better than some of them anyway. This makes better and somehow learn slower.
Getting confused would be one of the reasons why she said "pick a project, and as you read, build on your knowledge and ideas of how to implement said project"..

The whole point is to get stuck! That's the way you learn, you get stuck => understand the problem => get ideas on how to fix the problem => eventually fix the problem => back to step 1 again. You definitely woud NEVER be good if you are scared of getting stuck. I have a crazy policy, if I am working on something that's way too easy(meaning I hardly encounter problems and when I do i fix them in seconds), I leave it alone and do something harder cheesy

I don't know how much interest you have in games but I learn't quite lot of the concepts I currently know from writing games! Games are always hard and in the process of implementing one, I learn a lot. The next challenge would then be to refactor the code.

Would give you an example.. In my first year, I wrote a checkers game, at that time, I was AWESOME!. However, it was completely procedural and messy. That I knew after learning OOP concepts. The next thing I did was to refactor the code so it's neat and a few components would be re-usable. Again, I felt awesome and after learning more OOP related stuff like Design Patterns and Generics, I felt silly and refactored the code again. Now feeling like a Don again, I learn't about Algorithms and Data Structures and then realised my computer player could be much more intelligent and faster. I improved it but after digging deeper into more Algorithms related to Game trees and so on, I was then able to write what I called my perfect checkers game with different difficulty levels. I might learn about something tomorrow and decide improve on it again! Think there is nothing more to add? Ok how about a game lobby, playing over the net with friends from different locations and stuff like that. I did that for a Tic-Tac-Toe game! Implementing such for a checkers game would .. well require a bit more than just what I already wrote. How about better graphics? Probably a 3D board?

That's is just one amongst the numerous projects I work on.

Get the logic now?

2 Likes

Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by SoftVersion(m): 10:12pm On Mar 28, 2012
Thanks, got it!
Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by Kobojunkie: 12:43am On Mar 29, 2012
SoftVersion:

There are 1000's of websites out there where, if you have questions, you can go get answers. But unlike Nairaland, most people there do not have time to spoon feed you. So you need to be seriously studying to learn what it is you are working on and be able to communicate your problem so they can help you. Using Nairaland as an excuse only shows you are likely not as serious as you claim. Any serious programmer out there ought to have an array of forums to long on to for help on various issues.
Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by kodewrita(m): 10:00am On Mar 29, 2012
Stackoverflow.com is a good place to visit but don't expect to be spoon fed.
Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by SoftVersion(m): 5:14pm On Mar 29, 2012
Thanks... Helpful
Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by escobar07(m): 5:18pm On Mar 29, 2012
Dats the book am using. I can tell that its one of the best. One thing you have to realise is that c++ is a big language and its pretty complex due to its low level stuffs. It may take u many months to be comfortable with d language. Bt if u dont want to continue with d book, try c++ primer. If u want to go visual programming, try visual c++ 2010 by ivor ... Cant remember his other name.

1 Like

Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by Kobojunkie: 12:15am On Mar 30, 2012
I have a book for you if you are learning C++. I believe it is called Object Oriented Programming with Smalltalk and C++. Excellent book and I believe it explains concept after concept in the easiest way possible.

http://www.amazon.com/Object-Oriented-Programming-Smalltalk-Caleb-Drake/dp/0131037978
Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by Nobody: 4:51pm On Apr 03, 2012
learn java,nd if u need help i have two functional applications to my credit.
Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by parosky(m): 8:19am On Apr 08, 2012
You can get very good, but very fast? How fast? Some things just don't have a short cut. You will reap the fruit of how much time you put into learning a programming language. You can get very good today, even if you just maintain that level, you would have been "deprecated" in 2 years. Bottom line: programming is a lifetime of learning and seeking to improve....
Re: Please, How Can I Get Very Good At Programming Very Fast by naijaswag1: 11:36pm On Apr 08, 2012
Don't learn a programming language by reading just one book.There are many books out there and these books reflects the thoughts and understanding of these writers.The first advice I will give is to get your hands on the official tutorials (if any exist)by the body responsible for that language. Try other books and then take advantage of the internet,instead of pinging with your blackberry,do a lot of googling,tutorials for beginners,join forums and try hard at learning fundamental concepts like OOP. I read thinking in Java by bruce eckel many times over.C++ is not a butter and bread language,it preceeds many popular languages in use today. The world's best hackers on google codejam and facebook hacker cup use it.You can even start by learning sql,html or javascript,the small ones before grappling with Turing languages like c++,java,python or c#.

Do you like coffee?

(1) (Reply)

What Dose It Takes For One To Be A Good Programmer? / 5nights Of Programming See What I Built / Asp.net, Vb.net, C# Help Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.