Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:36 AM

This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED (9629 Views)

This Is Why You Should Stop Installing Games And Apps Outside Google Playstore. / App That Cost ₦80,000.00 On Playstore / KRACK Attack: 41% Of Android Devices Are Easy To Hack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by lordoddy(m): 10:15pm On Apr 07, 2016
Russian security researchers have discovered a Trojan for Android that contains malware and spyware features hidden in 104 Android apps on the Google Play store. It has been downloaded over 3.2 million times already onto victims' devices.
Researchers at antivirus software firm Dr Web have discovered a nasty malware called Android.Spy.277 which clones apps. These can range from games to instant messaging services, image-editing apps, video players, photo sticker apps, weight loss calorie counters, interactive smartphone wallpaper apps and even instant messaging services.
Once downloaded, the apps don't work as they're supposed to. Instead, Android.Spy.277 collects a huge amount of
data on the smartphone's owner, including but not limited to: the phone's IMEI code, the user's geographic location, the user's Gmail address, the phone number registered to the smartphone and the user's Google Cloud Messaging ID.
Every time the user tries to open one of the clone apps, the malware sends the information gathered to the hackers' command and control (C&C) server, which will then give the app instructions, such as: show the user pop-up ads that appear on the notification bar, or place shortcuts to links onto the user's smartphone home screen. When clicked, these open links to malicious websites on either the smartphone web browser, the Facebook app or even the Google Play Store app itself.
The ads also try to convince users that there's something wrong with their smartphone that can only be fixed by downloading yet another malware-laden app, such as telling the user that their phone's battery has been damaged and is overheating.
In the case of a user attempting to uninstall one of the clone apps, Android.Spy.277 installs other apps onto the device so that they can take over the spyware and adware function.
Researchers have contacted Google about the malware-laden apps. If you discover you have been affected by the malware, download Dr Web Android app which is capable of dealing with the issue, as well as the Android.Locker ransomware, once safe mode is activated.
The Dr Web app is free for 14 days, after which it costs €7 [US $8] a year on subscription.
But if after the 14 days trial you can't afford to pay to Dr Web app, just read this article on how to deal with a similar malware - GhostPush, and use the same method to deal with this Dr Web malware.

SOURCE: http://www.oddytech.com.ng/2016/04/russian-security-researchers-have.html

Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by Nobody: 10:26pm On Apr 07, 2016
For some time now, whenever I on my data, my Google location automatically turns itself on. Even when I off it it will still on itself again and this is annoying.

What do I do pls?

1 Like

Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by Rapsowdee01(m): 11:47pm On Apr 07, 2016
Bubewilson:
For some time now, whenever I on my data, my Google location automatically turns itself on. Even when I off it it will still on itself again and this is annoying.

What do I do pls?

What is the model of your phone ??

You can try going to settings----> Click on apps----->swipe to the right where you'll see ''ALL''------> scroll down and check if any of these is present there ''Sms manager'', ''Omacp'', ''Engriks'',''Engrils''----> if they are there, press down your power key and long press the power off option-----> You'll be asked if you want to reboot in safe mode, click yes-----> After rebooting in safe mode go back to settings-->apps-->all and click on those malwares i mentioned earlier on one-by-one and disable all-----> Power off your phone normally----> After 1 minute, restart your phone and go and check if they've been successfully disabled----> If problem persists after doing this, you might have to FLASH your phone..(not factory reset)

Thanks i hope i've been able to help

Twitter--- @iamrapsowdee

1 Like

Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by dandollaz: 6:28am On Apr 08, 2016
Me n my wife android has this problem for long now.i have done factory reset many times no way infact have stop loading data on the phones for long pls explane more ooo.
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by kolomax(m): 6:47am On Apr 08, 2016
Rapsowdee01:

You can try going to settings----> Click on apps----->swipe to the right where you'll see ''ALL''------> scroll down and check if any of these is present there ''Sms manager'', ''Omacp'', ''Engriks'',''Engrils''----> if they are there, press down your power key and long press on power off-----> You'll be asked if you want to reboot in safe mode, click yes-----> After rebooting in safe mode go back to settings-->apps-->all and click on those malwares i mentioned earlier on one-by-one and disable all-----> Power off your phone normally----> After 1 minute, restart your phone and go and check if they've been successfully disabled----> If problem persists after doing this, you might have to FLASH your phone..(not factory reset)

Twitter--- @iamrapsowdee
thanks bro am having same problem but kindly check your explanation properly press down power key and long press on power button
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by Nobody: 6:59am On Apr 08, 2016
Rapsowdee01:

You can try going to settings----> Click on apps----->swipe to the right where you'll see ''ALL''------> scroll down and check if any of these is present there ''Sms manager'', ''Omacp'', ''Engriks'',''Engrils''----> if they are there, press down your power key and long press on power off-----> You'll be asked if you want to reboot in safe mode, click yes-----> After rebooting in safe mode go back to settings-->apps-->all and click on those malwares i mentioned earlier on one-by-one and disable all-----> Power off your phone normally----> After 1 minute, restart your phone and go and check if they've been successfully disabled----> If problem persists after doing this, you might have to FLASH your phone..(not factory reset)

Twitter--- @iamrapsowdee

infinix hot.....I have done as you said..... am observing the phone now.
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by ayusco85(m): 7:46am On Apr 08, 2016
These Yankees and spying are like bread and butter. Can't be separated

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by Youngpo413: 8:04am On Apr 08, 2016
Bubewilson:

What do I do pls?
I'm sure you are using glo.
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by Rapsowdee01(m): 8:46am On Apr 08, 2016
kolomax:
thanks bro am having same problem but kindly check your explanation properly press down power key and long press on power button

I mean that ''Power Off option''

1 Like

Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by Nobody: 8:47am On Apr 08, 2016
Youngpo413:
I'm sure you are using glo.
yes I am. But why are they doing that?
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by peelpeep: 9:10am On Apr 08, 2016
I used titanium backup to remove mine (smsmanager) now my phone is virius free cheesy
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by sureinfo: 9:18am On Apr 08, 2016
Why should an android user be bothered about virus when you can get it solved here http://bbs.tecno-mobile.com/forum/general
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by Nobody: 9:38am On Apr 08, 2016
sureinfo:
Why should an android user be bothered about virus when you can get it solved here http://bbs.tecno-mobile.com/forum/general

how much r u guys paid by Tecno?
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by starlightRR(m): 10:37am On Apr 08, 2016
dandollaz:
Me n my wife android has this problem for long now.i have done factory reset many times no way infact have stop loading data on the phones for long pls explane more ooo.

Best alternative is to flash the phone, the malware and spyware are in the root (system files)
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by bcardastro: 11:01am On Apr 08, 2016
I normally get that battery damage message whenever I visit poenhub,abi na the virus Ni?
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by lordoddy(m): 11:33am On Apr 08, 2016
bcardastro:
I normally get that battery damage message whenever I visit poenhub,abi na the virus Ni?
My advice to all who get d message "Ur battery is damaged" DO NOT ever click on that cos those r viruses waiting to attack. Though some of them r safe, but d best bet wud be to ONLY install 4rm playstore n only install apps u r sure of.
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by Tonydeeb(m): 12:16pm On Apr 08, 2016
No, I've not been affected...
I seldom use Playstore, OneMarket is my all time fav., though, this is not to say these supposed apps aren't equally affected on there, but no...
I'm yet to be affected!.
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by Nobody: 12:39pm On Apr 08, 2016
Bubewilson:

What do I do pls?

I guess you're using Glo line, if yes then there is nothing u can do about it except you remove the sim or remove it from 3g.. As long as your phone is in 3g, it will automatically switch on itself.

1 Like

Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by Youngpo413: 12:47pm On Apr 08, 2016
Bubewilson:
yes I am. But why are they doing that?
thats the cause.
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by Nobody: 1:35pm On Apr 08, 2016
udemzy101:

I guess you're using Glo line, if yes then there is nothing u can do about it except you remove the sim or remove it from 3g.. As long as your phone is in 3g, it will automatically switch on itself.
nawa ooo, thanks anyway.
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by Nobody: 3:15pm On Apr 08, 2016
udemzy101:

OK ooo tnx
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by Mustack: 10:02pm On Apr 08, 2016
am facing it currently
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by abumeinben(m): 10:30pm On Apr 08, 2016
Too bad my device to forever to enter safe mode.
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by Youngpo413: 2:39am On Apr 09, 2016
Tonydeeb:
No, I've not been affected...
I seldom use Playstore, OneMarket is my all time fav., though, this is not to say these supposed apps aren't equally affected on there, but no...
I'm yet to be affected!.
why one market, are paid apps free?
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by Xhaka(m): 5:57am On Apr 09, 2016
Chai, i thought it was my camon o
Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by Tonydeeb(m): 1:25pm On Apr 09, 2016
Youngpo413:
why one market, are paid apps free?
Nah, they ain't free...I just prefer it coz the downloaded app automatically saves to your SDcard, in the advent you need to send it via bluetooth or for future use, instead of having to download other apps for converting the app and all.
Besides, if you wanna download paid apps free, you can always use "BlackMart".

1 Like

Re: This Malware On Playstore Has Affected Over 3.2 Million Devices.ARE YOU AFFECTED by bcardastro: 11:01pm On Apr 10, 2016
lordoddy:

My advice to all who get d message "Ur battery is damaged" DO NOT ever click on that cos those r viruses waiting to attack. Though some of them r safe, but d best bet wud be to ONLY install 4rm playstore n only install apps u r sure of.
okay,but can it actually repair a damaged battery if installed?

(1) (Reply)

Airtel Cheat Code For 2/3g Network / Sale Of Pre-Registered SIM Cards Booms Despite Arrests And Fines / How To Force Enable 4G Only Mode On Your Infinix Note 4 And Other Android Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.