Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,839 members, 7,802,689 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:56 PM

Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH (29492 Views)

Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC / UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands / 3 Ex-Militants Graduate With First Class Degrees In UK Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by maestroferddi: 4:06pm On Apr 08, 2016
Draxler:

Lost? Lmao is this a war or something? A school like Covenant for example has touch screen tvs in every single classroom including a very large screen(not projector o) in it's ultra modern lecture theatre. How many of your electrical labs have PCB printing machines? I went to one of your public universities and discovered that they had no oscilloscope in any of their electrical labs. There is a part time lecturer in covenant university that is a nobel laurete from Harvard. The school is the only one in Africa that has had more than 2 Nobel laureates coming to give public lectures. Can any of your public schools do this? Or the fact that here we actually recycle our own waste and generate our own electricity? Every student has 10GB worth of data every month for browsing. And believe me it's fast. Cant write it all but we will keep it here. Good luck Jonathans scholarship scheme for first class students nko? Covenant university had the highest amount of scholarship awardees from the former president every time. So please do proper research
Linus ibn Lie Mohammed...

May we have the names of the two Noble Laureates from Harvard doing part-time lecturing at Covenant University?

Private universities have their merits, my friend, but they can't hold a candle to most federal universities.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 4:08pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

No, we were comparing Private and Public Unis.

Anyway, I grudgingly acquiesce that your school's not all that hopeless afterall.

But your school still don't measure up to the big-shots among the federal schools. gringrin

You try sha.
My points prove that they can measure up to the public schools. They have achieved a lot and are seriously improving by the year. Its been a while since I graduated from the school. I'm very sure there are other great things happening there that I don't even know of.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 4:08pm On Apr 08, 2016
Draxler:

How can you just rank a website like that without any criteria for ranking? Okay what's the criteria for ranking the websites? Oh and CU was number one in the rankings last year for both Nigeria and West Africa.

Below is a definition of webometrics culled from wikipedia. This will be my last word on this webometrics of a something.

"The Webometrics Ranking of World Universities,
also known as Ranking Web of Universities, is a
ranking system for the world's universities based on
a composite indicator that takes into account both
the volume of the Web contents (number of web
pages and files) and the visibility and impact of
these web publications according to the number of
external inlinks (site citations) they received."

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by dawtune(m): 4:10pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

I'll respond to your claims on webometrics in your other "mention".

No, no Unilorin student, to the best of my knowledge, has invented a car. The only person that "invented" a car was Henry Ford. One can only invent something once and that person becomes the pioneer.

Btw, a student of BUK(Bayero University, Kano) designed and constructed a helicopter several years ago. You can wake me up when covenant university comes close.
Ever heard of Reverse Engineering? I can't even waste my energy to school you on that. You can google it. Covenant Uni is the first Uni in Africa to do practical work on Reverse Engineering. http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/coscharis-boosts-covenant-university-reverse-engineering-solution/
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 4:17pm On Apr 08, 2016
Truefederalism:

"The fight amongst African countries is only a fight amongst dwarfs, each arguing that he is the tallest".

The above refers to you and your likes. Wake me when you "design and construct" something in complete originality. Mtcheeew!!

How can one avoid your type of mediocrity sef?
Check my previous post on this thread and get informed.

Tf are you saying? If we're not up to Harvard standard, we shouldn't talk abi?

It's people like you who claim that prosecuting PDP members is witch-hunting.

Intellectually-vacuous fellow.

Next time, speak because you have something sensible to say, not because you want to be heard.

Any other mention from you will be duteously ignored.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 4:21pm On Apr 08, 2016
maestroferddi:

May we have the names of the two Noble Laureates from Harvard doing part-time lecturing at Covenant University?

Private universities have their merits, my friend, but they can't hold a candle to most federal universities.
Its one professor and his name is Professor Eric Maskin. You can check him out
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Truefederalism(m): 4:27pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

Tf are you saying? If we're not up to Harvard standard, we shouldn't talk abi?

It's people like you who claim that prosecuting PDP members is witch-hunting.

Intellectually-vacuous fellow.

Next time, speak because you have something sensible to say, not because you want to be heard.

Any other mention from you will be duteously ignored.

You only pretend to ignore counsel under two conditions
1. The counsellor is right
2. You dont want to further disgrace yourself.

See your mentality, public university graduate. What brought PDP and governance into this academic discussion?
Not to worry, I know public schools. "Peace and conflict resolution" is not in their syllabus, hence your inability to argue constructively and in line with subject.
grin angry
You guys really need to organize a protest against your poor system.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 4:28pm On Apr 08, 2016
dawtune:

Ever heard of Reverse Engineering? I can't even waste my energy to school you on that. You can google it. Covenant Uni is the first Uni in Africa to do practical work on Reverse Engineering. http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/coscharis-boosts-covenant-university-reverse-engineering-solution/

Claiming Covenant Uni is equal or superior to federal schools because they practicalised reverse engineering says a lot about how you argue and sally your points forth.

When I boldly stated that federal schools are better, did I say it's because they've produced someone's who's won a Nobel laureate as opposed to the private Unis?

Btw, Reverse Engineering: the reproduction of another manufacturer's
product following detailed examination of its
construction or composition.

Impressive. But nothing Unilorin can't replicate if they really want to.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Olusholadiamond(m): 4:29pm On Apr 08, 2016
First class grad of any private uni in 9ja is equivalent to a 2:2 grad of any top ten fed uni presently...
To confirm, try to do ur Masters at one fed uni e.g. FUTA
Quote me wrongly at ur own peril. angryFirst class grad of any private uni in 9ja is equivalent to a 2:2 grad of any top ten fed uni presently...
Quote me wrongly at ur own peril.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by shehuolayinka(m): 4:33pm On Apr 08, 2016
First class or no first class, no Nigerian graduate have come out with a good innovation to help the country in terms of development. Even though I see nothing in the glorified secondary school, (private universities) I still qaaprefer them than public school. Moreover, Nigeria public school system is in utter Comatose.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 4:40pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

Claiming Covenant Uni is equal or superior to federal schools because they practicalised reverse engineering says a lot about how you argue and sally your points forth.

When I boldly stated that federal schools are better, did I say it's because they've produced someone's who's won a Nobel laureate as opposed to the private Unis?

True but they are the first to practicalize it in Africa and that's something.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 4:42pm On Apr 08, 2016
shehuolayinka:
First class or no first class, no Nigerian graduate have come out with a good innovation to help the country in terms of development. Even though I see nothing in the glorified secondary school, (private universities) I still qaaprefer them than public school. Moreover, Nigeria public school system is in utter Comatose.
But you know there are some brilliant minds that have actually done great things in terms of inventions in this country but the government we have doesn't appreciate such people unlike the governments of advanced nations

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 4:51pm On Apr 08, 2016
Draxler:

True but they are the first to practicalize it in Africa and that's something.

It IS something. But it's not enough to place them on a pedestal above those of the federal schools.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Omonigeriarere: 4:52pm On Apr 08, 2016
DeeCherry:
Tell me you got a 1st class, I ask the school you attended, you mention one private university, I walk out on you.

First class isn't beans.

Continue deceiving yourself: if the parents of Ayodele Daniel Dada (the student who broke record in the University of Lagos by scoring 5.0 Cumulative Grade Point Average CGPA) were buoyant enough financially to the extent that he was able to attended private university, this is the way his achievements could have been jettisoned.

I don't attend private institutions even during my primary school tongue tongue tongue, but you need to visit these private universities and compare the learning environments, libraries and other facilities with public ones to see the comparative advantage.

Get it right.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Nusaf: 4:54pm On Apr 08, 2016
Olusholadiamond:
First class grad of any private uni in 9ja is equivalent to a 2:2 grad of any top ten fed uni presently...
Quote me wrongly at ur own peril. angryFirst class grad of any private uni in 9ja is equivalent to a 2:2 grad of any top ten fed uni presently...
U must be very generous to even equate them to 2:2. Out of every 5 first class graduates of public universities, at least 4 are actually worth the awards. But it is much easier for a camel to pass through the of a needle than to find a first class graduate of a private university who deserves the certificate is holding.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 5:04pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

It IS something. But it's not enough to place them on a pedestal above those of the federal schools.
But achievements like these are what schools like MIT and Harvard have used to distinguish themselves from others over the years. Why can't we use advances in research as criteria for comparing schools? Not silly things like the amount of first class graduates.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by sonofthunder: 5:05pm On Apr 08, 2016
trash
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by mrjojo: 5:08pm On Apr 08, 2016
Nusaf:

U must be very generous to even equate them to 2:2. Out of every 5 first class graduates of public universities, at least 4 are actually worth the awards. But it is much easier for a camel to pass through the of a needle than to find a first class graduate of a private university who deserves the certificate is holding.
damn!! U r really dumb

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by modo1(m): 5:09pm On Apr 08, 2016
got 281 ..still went to a private uni. isn't it obvious after all these years that private unis give a conducive environment that churns up a level playing field.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by awakeuche(m): 5:10pm On Apr 08, 2016
PresVA:
"Geniuses are borne not made. Ayodele Daniel Dada (the student who broke record in the University of Lagos by scoring 5.0 Cumulative Grade Point Average CGPA) did not wake up one morning to score those straight As. We are told that his UTME score was so high that his result was withheld. Consequently, he had to go through diploma course. Which of these so-called First Class students from our private universities scored equivalent of straight As in their secondary school exams, and which of them scored anything close to 280 in their UTME? I doubt the honest ability of our private universities to transmogrify ordinary students with ordinary SSCE and banal UTME results into overnight intellectual superstars."

^^^^^^^^^, I think I agree with the writer here somewhat! !!!
wRONG BRO, that you scored a lesser score in utme in our flawed educational system doesn't mean you can't take on the world in academics. No dey dull.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by naijalander: 5:11pm On Apr 08, 2016
multikolour:

http://www.punchng.com/proliferation-of-first-class-degrees-in-private-varsities/

This article is bias. I think public education is much worse than private education in Nigeria and please geniuses are made not born. The writer sounds like a pained public school graduate.

Public education system in Nigeria sets students up to fail. Consider that in a public school you can't pass a course without buying handouts from your lecturer.

What is a handout, a document to gear you in the right direction, how is that different from buying answers to questions?

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by naijalander: 5:14pm On Apr 08, 2016
Olusholadiamond:

Bull shit. Do you know how many private school graduates out smart and out think public school graduates. Public schools in Nigeria rely on past glory, they rely on the fact that they were the first institutions in the country but really lets be objective. I have met so many public school graduates some with first class that lack basic analytical skills. The writer is very bias. You can't even compare Covenant University with OAU today.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Nusaf: 5:15pm On Apr 08, 2016
Omonigeriarere:

Continue deceiving yourself: if the parents of Ayodele Daniel Dada (the student who broke record in the University of Lagos by scoring 5.0 Cumulative Grade Point Average CGPA) were buoyant enough financially to the extent that he was able to attended private university, this is the way his achievements could have been jettisoned.

I don't attend private institutions even during my primary school tongue tongue tongue, but you need to visit these private universities and compare the learning environments, libraries and other facilities with public ones to see the comparative advantage.

Get it right.

What is important is the end, not the means. About 90% of the lecturers in private universities are products of public universities. It may also interest you to know that major breakthroughs by Nigerians in various fields of studies both within and outside Nigeria are mostly the handiwork of public universities graduates.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by naijalander: 5:15pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

Why not? what do Federal school graduates know. Go to NYSC camp and find the most rowdy uncivilized Corpers, half of them are Federal school graduates.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by dawtune(m): 5:16pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

I put forth my argument solely on achievements of Private Unis. A University can be ranked high based on achievements, staff strength, research work etc. See, until we get ourselves out of this ignorant thoughts and belief, we won't move forward as a nation. I laugh when people conclude without reasoning. A student's ability in school is vested in his perseverance, determination etc. It is so painful that public varsity lecturers have to cut down marks of students for inexplainable reasons. I have friends who are in Fed. Uni's and they complain bitterly about this. Is that a true reflection of a student's ability when a student is denied the rightful grade cos of insane lecturers?? NO.. Our Education system is dead. The basis of argument should be a permanent solution to this rot in education. Give it to the Private Uni's bro, you'll be given what you deserve. I had a senior, who after graduating from my school (Achievers Uni) with a 2:1, left for the UK for his masters and bagged a distinction. What do you make of that?..

3 Likes

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by naijalander: 5:19pm On Apr 08, 2016
maestroferddi:

They can and they do. Private schools have better administration because student population is low compared to Federal schools. I mean common, Federal schools rely on past dead glory. Trust me the average Covenant Uni graduate is much more book smart than a Unilag or OAU graduate. Go to NYSC camp and find the most rowdy uncivilized graduates there, half of them have attended Federal schools.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by naijalander: 5:21pm On Apr 08, 2016
Nusaf:

What is important is the end, not the means. About 90% of the lecturers in private universities are products of public universities. It may also interest you to know that major breakthroughs by Nigerians in various fields of studies both within and outside Nigeria are mostly the handiwork of public universities graduates.

You mean past breakthroughs not recent ones. Again, all Federal schools do is rely on past glory. Be there shouting Greatest Ife when your mate in Covenant is looking for how to solve societal problems.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Nusaf: 5:21pm On Apr 08, 2016
mrjojo:
damn!! U r really dumb
This is what I am talking about? University degrees are awarded both in character and learning. Otherwise, why the insult?

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by naijalander: 5:23pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

No, dear, first class pass first class. If you doubt, leave your private uni and comman sample Unilorin.

You go believe.

It will be harder in UNILORIN because your lecturer doesn't want you to pass in the first place. How will you get first class, when your lecturer does not even come to class. How will you pass if you don't do practicals. Federal schools are dead. Admit it and move on. y'all rely on past glory.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by naijalander: 5:27pm On Apr 08, 2016
olujastro:

My dear, I couldn't agree more. When I see many private school "first class" guys in my office who don't sound half as smart as I expect, I just know their school fees earned them the first class.

Do you know how many fake First Class graduates Federal schools produce? You guys are jokers to think you can compare private and public education in Nigeria. Define smart because if it's street smart, we know Federal schools will carry the day since nothing there is organized. Your lecturers set you up to fail, continuously victimize you and you call it education. Drop your foolish pride please. I have met First class Federal school graduates in IT that don't even know how to build a website so I ask, which education did they receive?

2 Likes

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by naijalander: 5:37pm On Apr 08, 2016
DeeCherry:
Tell me you got a 1st class, I ask the school you attended, you mention one private university, I walk out on you.

First class isn't beans.

right there is the exact problem with y'all public school grads. The idea that apparently First Class is impossible. This is because your lecturers victimize you continuously as such they have installed in you the perception that certain things cannot be done.
eg:
How can a Physics lecturer be telling his students that even if Einstein takes his exam, he won't pass?

Is that a teacher or a terrorist. I don't ever remember Harvard lecturers telling their students thatt.

2 Likes

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Nusaf: 5:48pm On Apr 08, 2016
naijalander:

Do you know how many fake First Class graduates Federal schools produce? You guys are jokers to think you can compare private and public education in Nigeria. Define smart because if it's street smart, we know Federal schools will carry the day since nothing there is organized. Your lecturers set you up to fail, continuously victimize you and you call it education. Drop your foolish pride please. I have met First class Federal school graduates in IT that don't even know how to build a website so I ask, which education did they receive?
If after going through those challenges of victimisation, u still come out with first class, then u must have been properly groomed to face other challenges. That is what a graduate is. Not the type that you treated like an egg because your parents are these or that. Create level playing grounds for graduates of both types in jobhunting and see if those ajebos will ever secure good jobs in this country. We know how they get job placements. So forget it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pilot Training Admission @ International Aviation College, Ilorin / What Course Can She Study With This WAEC Result? / Teacher’s Remark That A Student Is Not Behaving Like A Human Draws Attention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.