Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,480 members, 7,808,750 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH (29536 Views)

Future Of Higher Education Belongs To Private Varsities — NUC / UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands / 3 Ex-Militants Graduate With First Class Degrees In UK Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by dawtune(m): 5:57pm On Apr 08, 2016
Nusaf:

If after going through those challenges of victimisation, u still come out with first class, then u must have been properly groomed to face other challenges. That is what a graduate is. Not the type that you treated like an egg because your parents are these or that. Create level playing grounds for graduates of both types in jobhunting and see if those ajebos will ever secure good jobs in this country. We know how they get job placements. So forget it.
Don't be naive sir, it's true there are challenges this and that in Public varsities, but never you say anything about a level playing ground of any sort. An intelligent Private Uni grad will any day compete well with his/her counterparts in Public Uni's. You seem to view situations with jaundiced eyes.

2 Likes

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by myrax7(m): 6:02pm On Apr 08, 2016
Nusaf:

If after going through those challenges of victimisation, u still come out with first class, then u must have been properly groomed to face other challenges. That is what a graduate is. Not the type that you treated like an egg because your parents are these or that. Create level playing grounds for graduates of both types in jobhunting and see if those ajebos will ever secure good jobs in this country. We know how they get job placements. So forget it.

so u r trying to say evry soul dat went to a private uni na ajebo?

dats completely wrong,aje kpako full am.
not all graduate from private university are from rich homes.
some parents had to make great sacrifice to send them there.

The same way fed uni graduate dey apply for job through jobberman naso private university graduate dey apply

4 Likes

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Ajgal10(f): 6:06pm On Apr 08, 2016
multikolour:

my brother, it is even worst when you are serving and you will find out most of this coppers only know how to speak queens English but they don't have anything upstairs.

I bet you to challenge the Babcock standard if you can measure up.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Nusaf: 6:16pm On Apr 08, 2016
Ajgal10:

Don't even come up with that Babcock. I know a Babcock graduate at NYSC orientation camp who embarrassed that school seriously. Infact one of the soldiers at the camp was... Infact, let me keep quiet.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Ajgal10(f): 6:22pm On Apr 08, 2016
Nusaf:

Don't even come up with that Babcock. I know a Babcock graduate at NYSC orientation camp who embarrassed that school seriously. Infact one of the soldiers at the camp was... Infact, let me keep quiet.

Were you ever told Saints are bred there? Nor is intellectual ability same as Moral conduct or Social relations? #stophating. You attended your choice so did we. Abi?
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by naijalander: 6:24pm On Apr 08, 2016
Nusaf:

I agree if after victimisation you come out with a good result, it means you have a strong spirit. Being Ajebo doesn't mean you don't have a strong spirit either, it simply suggests your parents worked hard enough or 'stole hard' enough to provide you with a better life.

What of the millions more that end up either quiting school or failing due to victimisation, does that mean they don't deserve a good life? The end product of good education is good character not First class? Good character is what builds a good society.

So having access to good facilities to learn means 'being treated like an egg?' That is the problem with Fed school graduates, the belief that if things are well organized, then it's not good.

Your opinion also suggests low self esteem, not all private school students are from rich homes, why would you assume because a person pays N1m in fees, the parents must be over loaded. Some parents hustle for it. Some postpone building their houses so their children can receive good education.

You should also know that private school kids face as much pressure as Fed school kids, would you want to waste your parent's money?

Nobody deserves the crap public institutions put their students through, period!
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by nellyelitz(m): 6:32pm On Apr 08, 2016
Thumbs up to Dr Buhari an honorary doctorate holder from Kaduna State University who doesn't offer any doctorate degree
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 6:33pm On Apr 08, 2016
naijalander:

I agree if after victimisation you come out with a good result, it means you have a strong spirit. Being Ajebo doesn't mean you don't have a strong spirit either, it simply suggests your parents worked hard enough or 'stole hard' enough to provide you with a better life.

What of the millions more that end up either quiting school or failing due to victimisation, does that mean they don't deserve a good life? The end product of good education is good character not First class? Good character is what builds a good society.

So having access to good facilities to learn means 'being treated like an egg?' That is the problem with Fed school graduates, the belief that if things are well organized, then it's not good.

Your opinion also suggests low self esteem, not all private school students are from rich homes, why would you assume because a person pays N1m in fees, the parents must be over loaded. Some parents hustle for it. Some postpone building their houses so their children can receive good education.

You should also know that private school kids face as much pressure as Fed school kids, would you want to waste your parent's money?

Nobody deserves the crap public institutions put their students through, period!
Bro, you made valid points.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Missmossy(f): 6:34pm On Apr 08, 2016
So much hatred on this thread. It is well cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OBAnkemi: 6:44pm On Apr 08, 2016
Dotunblaze:
I believe private uni should have churn out more first class students given that they have the needed facilities to achieve that feat.

Is it the public universities that have poor academic faculties that enhance your chances of having good grades??

Abeg educate us; what 'needed facilities to achieve that feat' does private unis have in Naija?

Secondly, I do like to seriously know what you mean by public universities have poor academic faculties......

If all universities in Naija are objectively and honestly/transparently rated, using world-best practices/criteria,.......believe me no private university in Nigeria would appear in a list of the top 20 or 25 Nigerian universities.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by multikolour(m): 6:50pm On Apr 08, 2016
Ajgal10:

why not
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by ariesbull: 7:28pm On Apr 08, 2016
Fedayeen:
I don't take most of this Private tertiary institutions serious with their grades. Imagine a Davido that spent mor time dancing Skelewu than receiving lectures in school socring 2:1 @ babCOCK.

The public schools also have beast as lecturers who have swore to frustrate students because thry believed that nobody can get an A in their course.

NUC needs to do more in terms of regulations.

[b][/b]Thumbs up to Dr Buhari an honorary doctorate holder from Kaduna State University which doesn't offer any doctorate degree grin

Now you are apt
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by insideout: 7:37pm On Apr 08, 2016
I'm a product of a Federal University but the private universities graduate are in par don't be decieved. 60% of the private university students are igi-gbigbe(kpako) their parents wants the best for them. When i did my M.sc then, it was 3 private uni, 1 federal,2 state and 1 poly products that topped the class. Instead of hating; lets join hands and raise Nigeria's falling education standard.

2 Likes

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by OneManLegion(m): 8:47pm On Apr 08, 2016
dawtune:

I put forth my argument solely on achievements of Private Unis. A University can be ranked high based on achievements, staff strength, research work etc. See, until we get ourselves out of this ignorant thoughts and belief, we won't move forward as a nation. I laugh when people conclude without reasoning. A student's ability in school is vested in his perseverance, determination etc. It is so painful that public varsity lecturers have to cut down marks of students for inexplainable reasons. I have friends who are in Fed. Uni's and they complain bitterly about this. Is that a true reflection of a student's ability when a student is denied the rightful grade cos of insane lecturers?? NO.. Our Education system is dead. The basis of argument should be a permanent solution to this rot in education. Give it to the Private Uni's bro, you'll be given what you deserve. I had a senior, who after graduating from my school (Achievers Uni) with a 2:1, left for the UK for his masters and bagged a distinction. What do you make of that?..

I don close, oga.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by smartoliver(m): 9:05pm On Apr 08, 2016
Bootybuttchic:
fyou people would just stay ignorantly on nairaland and spew rubbish,i know very intelligent people with straight A's in waec,high jamb score with a 2:1 and firstclass in private unis....stop spraying rubbish,my highschool colleageues who even werent dat bright back den,who now school abroad keep habing A grades in their colleges ,some graduated with first class,and will u say they dont worth it?No!.....just because the school is abroad.,my freind was even saying the same thing that education only looks like hell in naija because of the evil lecturers you guys have,that her lecturers there are really inspiring and attentive......the thing is in most private schools the ones with standards,have good lecturers,good facilities,there is always light to read,water,good accomodation,less distractions,plus determinations,their students will pass.....for instance caleb uni ,all lecturers should have phd or in progress before u can even be employed,and the assisting lecturers/profs they employ come from either unilag or u.i........so are this people sham too.....just stop pouring your anger on people in private schools,there are 3rd class and 2.2 students there tooo,and they will be in the nysc camp too and seem dumb to you,doesnt mean everyone in private uni isnt smart......pour your anger on your lecturers and the government.....thanks!
Yeah,u have a point...but I can't help but wonder-is it your rush to make ur point or is it that ur English is bad?...cos the gbaguan for Nairaland don dey too much cheesy
Bootybuttchic:
fyou people would just stay ignorantly on nairaland and spew rubbish,i know very intelligent people with straight A's in waec,high jamb score with a 2:1 and firstclass in private unis....stop spraying rubbish,my highschool colleageues who even werent dat bright back den,who now school abroad keep habing A grades in their colleges ,some graduated with first class,and will u say they dont worth it?No!.....just because the school is abroad.,my freind was even saying the same thing that education only looks like hell in naija because of the evil lecturers you guys have,that her lecturers there are really inspiring and attentive......the thing is in most private schools the ones with standards,have good lecturers,good facilities,there is always light to read,water,good accomodation,less distractions,plus determinations,their students will pass.....for instance caleb uni ,all lecturers should have phd or in progress before u can even be employed,and the assisting lecturers/profs they employ come from either unilag or u.i........so are this people sham too.....just stop pouring your anger on people in private schools,there are 3rd class and 2.2 students there tooo,and they will be in the nysc camp too and seem dumb to you,doesnt mean everyone in private uni isnt smart......pour your anger on your lecturers and the government.....thanks!
Yeah,u have a point...but I can't help but wonder-is it your rush to make ur point or is it that ur English is bad?...cos the gbaguan for Nairaland don dey too much
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by eDoc: 9:09pm On Apr 08, 2016
DeeCherry:
Tell me you got a 1st class, I ask the school you attended, you mention one private university, I walk out on you.

First class isn't beans.

First class isn't beans in public schools.

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Nusaf: 9:11pm On Apr 08, 2016
smartoliver:
Yeah,u have a point...but I can't help but wonder-is it your rush to make ur point or is it that ur English is bad?...cos the gbaguan for Nairaland don dey too much :DYeah,u have a point...but I can't help but wonder-is it your rush to make ur point or is it that ur English is bad?...cos the gbaguan for Nairaland don dey too much
That is a product of private uni boasting. Can u beat that?

1 Like

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by smartoliver(m): 9:16pm On Apr 08, 2016
Nusaf:
I tire o
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 9:32pm On Apr 08, 2016
Nusaf:

I'm very sure your public uni products are so perfect. All of them speak perfect English. They never ever make grammatical errors.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by blackprowler: 9:34pm On Apr 08, 2016
My people, this country is so lost. We have not a clue what matters in this world. We have no idea the ingredients for societal advancement. If you talk contrary to popular opinion, they call you "bad belle" "jealous" "hater". I've heard it all. I just don't know who told me to research how life is instead of trying to get 1st class and join in the cluelessness. When the society says they want high-grade certificates from universities and there are universities available commercially, what do you expect, my people?! This country is going nowhere because we have no idea where the right direction is
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by blackboy2star(m): 9:42pm On Apr 08, 2016
One thing I can tell you that won't make you walk out on me is you 'Beautiful' cheesy grin

[qquote author=DeeCherry post=44519238]Tell me you got a 1st class, I ask the school you attended, you mention one private university, I walk out on you.

First class isn't beans.[/quote]
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by DangotePikin: 9:44pm On Apr 08, 2016
A very unintelligent post filled up with many uneducated commentators. This thread is not worthy of my response.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by ireneidiva(f): 9:55pm On Apr 08, 2016
multikolour:

my brother, it is even worst when you are serving and you will find out most of this coppers only know how to speak queens English but they don't have anything upstairs.
What is 'coppers'? so much for having something upstairs.

2 Likes

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by dawtune(m): 10:04pm On Apr 08, 2016
OneManLegion:

I don close, oga.

lol
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by peddy231(m): 11:19pm On Apr 08, 2016
I kind of disagree with the writer of this article. Using the Nigerian Law School as a case study which is a level playing ground for both graduates of law from private universities and public universities. Students from the private universities have also been able to make first class in law school as their compatriots from the public universities. I believe it's a function of the student's individual brilliance irrespective of whatever university the student graduated from.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Nusaf: 11:36pm On Apr 08, 2016
Draxler:

I'm very sure your public uni products are so perfect. All of them speak perfect English. They never ever make grammatical errors.
Of course even the Advance Learners Dictionary is not error-free, but u know sey the guy no try abi. Anyway, I just dey look 4 trouble and d guy no even send.
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Icekyng: 12:38am On Apr 09, 2016
naijalander:

Bull shit. Do you know how many private school graduates out smart and out think public school graduates. Public schools in Nigeria rely on past glory, they rely on the fact that they were the first institutions in the country but really lets be objective. I have met so many public school graduates some with first class that lack basic analytical skills. The writer is very bias. You can't even compare Covenant University with OAU today.
are u bleeped up ? Oba Awon University ?
go to bed!!
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Dotunblaze(m): 1:16am On Apr 09, 2016
OBAnkemi:

Abeg educate us; what 'needed facilities to achieve that feat' does private unis have in Naija?
Secondly, I do like to seriously know what you mean by public universities have poor academic faculties......
If all universities in Naija are objectively and honestly/transparently rated, using world-best practices/criteria,.......believe me no private university in Nigeria would appear in a list of the top 20 or 25 Nigerian universities.

Guy, from the hostels to the libraries to the classrooms. Those 3 things are very convenient in a typical private uni unlike their public counterparts.
And concerning that top 20 list Nigerian uni, maybe you should check the current top 10 list and lemme know. Thanks
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Dotunblaze(m): 1:22am On Apr 09, 2016
Nusaf:

If that is the case, then why is it that most of these first class products of private universities can't stand their 2:1 counterparts from public universities both academically and intellectually ? Examples abound. U may take a walk to the nearest NYSC orientation camp and carry out some research. I graduated with 2:2 in Elect/Elect and I work in the same organisation with a graduate of private university with a cgpa of 4.42 in the same E/E who couldn't differenciate btw the electrical symbol of an inductor and that of a resistor. This same guy could not differenciate btw Kwatt and KVA.

And I also know a graduate of a private uni with a 2:2 in the same course who is really good at what he does and probably better than you. so??

2 Likes

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by dangotesmummy: 2:18am On Apr 09, 2016
Painment tongue

Is it nl that told you not to be dangote pikin tongue
Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Yacubes(m): 6:07am On Apr 09, 2016
The Op is entitled to his or her own opinion. One thing that I believe is that there is no good school to make brilliant lawyers, sound surgeons, intelligent accountants... You will make yourself. Nevertheless, Bagging a first class from any university is a function of hard work not by accident or a tactics to sell a school. God bless us all.

2 Likes

Re: Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH by Draxler: 6:57am On Apr 09, 2016
Icekyng:
are u bleeped up ? Oba Awon University ? go to bed!!
Well to be fair they are both among the best in the country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Adeyeye Olorunfemi, Rusticated Student Of UNILAG Blasts School Management (Video / Four FUTA Students Die In Accident In Ondo / Absolutely Free Scholarships For Nigerians To Study Overseas (latest Discovery)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.