Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,936 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:19 AM

Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins (5197 Views)

Anthony Joshua Defeats Joseph Parker (Live Thread) / Obafemi Martins Flaunts His N162M Lamborghini (Photos) / Nigerian Boxer, Anthony Joshua Speaks Yoruba And States His Best Food (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by Truth234(m): 9:53am On Apr 09, 2016
Background

Anthony Oluwafemi Joshua was born in Watford to a Nigerian mother and a father of Nigerian and Irish descent. His cousin is fellow unbeaten professional boxer Ben lleyemi. The pair made their professional debuts together in 2013.

Joshua grew up for much of his early years in Nigeria and returned to the UK halfway through Year Seven to join Kings Langley Secondary School. Growing up on the Meriden Estate in Garston, Hertfordshire, Joshua was called 'Femi' by his friends and former teachers, due to his middle name 'Oluwafemi'. He excelled at football and athletics and broke the Year Nine 100m record with a time of 11.6 seconds.

Amateur career

A late starter in the sport, Joshua only began boxing in 2007, aged 18, when his cousin suggested he take it up. His club, Finchley ABC in Barnet, North London, is also home to professional heavyweight Dereck Chisora. Joshua won the 2009 and 2010 Haringey Box Cup. Joshua won the senior ABA Championships in 2010, in only his 18th bout, and later turned down £50,000 to turn professional. "Turning down that £50,000 was easy. I didn't take up the sport for money, I want to win medals."

He also went on to win the same tournament the following year. In 2010 his domestic success earned him a place on the GB Boxing team and later the same year he became British amateur champion at the GB Amateur Boxing Championships after defeating Amin Isa. In June 2011 at the 2011 European Amateur Boxing Championships he beat Eric Berechlin and Cathal McMonagle but was stopped by aggressive Romanian southpaw Mihai Nistor after receiving several standing counts. In October 2011 he was named Amateur Boxer of the Year by the Boxing Writers Club of Great Britain.

2011 World Amateur Boxing Championships

During the 2011 World Amateur Boxing Championships in Baku, Azerbaijan, Joshua marked his sudden arrival on the world scene when he beat Italian reigning World & Olympic champion Roberto Cammarelle, and went on to stop Erik Pfeifer of Germany in the semis before losing by a single point to local boxer, Magomedrasul Majidov winning a silver medal. En route to the final, Joshua secured his place at the 2012 Olympic Games in the 91 kg+ when he won a Gold medal.

Professional career

Joshua made his professional debut on 5 October 2013 at the O2 Arena in London in the Main-Event of a card featuring Scott Quigg's successful WBA super-bantamweight title defence against Yoandris Salinas, beating Italian Emanuelue Leo by a TKO in the first round.

Joshua fought Dillian Whyte for the vacant British Heavyweight title on 12 December 2015, whilst also defending his Commonwealth Heavyweight title for the first time. The two had previously fought within the amateur rankings in 2009 where Whyte had won. After surviving the first scare of his career in the second round, Joshua won the fight after initially shaking Whyte with a right hook to the temple and eventually finishing with a devastating uppercut for the knockout in the seventh round, making it the furthest distance either fighter has gone in a professional fight to date.

IBF World Title

Anthony Joshua will bid to become the second current British heavyweight world champion today, Saturday, April 9, when he fights American Charles Martin at the O2 Arena in London for the IBF world title.

Joshua - still best known to British fans for winning the London 2012 heavyweight boxing gold medal at the Excel Arena - only turned professional in July 2013. Since then he has fought 15 times, winning all of them.

Edited - AJ defeated Charles Martins in second round to emerge as the new IBF heavyweight champion of the world.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by Truth234(m): 10:00am On Apr 09, 2016
honeric01, semid4lyfe,

Nihilist 50calibre tellwisdom what do you guys think about Anthony Joshua IBF fight today
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by tellwisdom: 10:26am On Apr 09, 2016
Truth234:
honeric01, semid4lyfe,

Nihilist 50calibre tellwisdom what do you guys think about Anthony Joshua IBF fight today

What does he do for a living?? sad
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by Truth234(m): 10:27am On Apr 09, 2016
tellwisdom:

What does he do for a living?? sad

He is a professional boxer
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by Nihilist: 10:41am On Apr 09, 2016
I don't really rate Anthony Joshua. Tyson Fury came out the other day to dismiss AJ as a just a body builder and I have to say I agree.

Charles Martin is not the typical kind ofbum that AJ has been figthing thus far. This is the first true test if his abilities as a pro...defeat Martin, and then I know that AJ is ready for the big time.
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by bomasek(m): 10:58am On Apr 09, 2016
Will take AJ serious when he laces 'em up against the Haye-maker.
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by Truth234(m): 11:00am On Apr 09, 2016
Nihilist:
I don't really rate Anthony Joshua. Tyson Fury came out the other day to dismiss AJ as a just a body builder and I have to say I agree.

Charles Martin is not the typical kind ofbum that AJ has been figthing thus far. This is the first true test if his abilities as a pro...defeat Martin, and then I know that AJ is ready for the big time.

Tyson Fury is just jealous of AJ prowess and the crowd he command. This is the same way he put down Chris Eubank prior to Blackwell fight, and we all see what happened after the fight, Blackwell in comma.

I can't take anything Fury says serious because he was the same person that said AJ almost knocked him out during sparring in 2013, the same year AJ turn pro. AJ is still work in progress and he will continue to grow.

He is the hardest working heavyweight, focus and dedicated.
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by Truth234(m): 11:04am On Apr 09, 2016
bomasek:
Will take AJ serious when laces 'em up against the Haye-maker.

Broke Haye needs to fight his way up, good fighters not weak Mark de Mori.

He needs to prove he has what it takes after coming out of retirement.
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by bomasek(m): 11:22am On Apr 09, 2016
Truth234:

Broke Haye needs to fight his way up, good fighters not weak Mark de Mori.

He needs to prove he has what it takes after coming out of retirement.
Haye is steadily building his way up there. It's a gradual process.

As for Martins,he was given a gift decision as his previous bout should v been ruled a No Contest as a result of the injury suffered by his opponent.

I still stand on my word that AJ isn't the real deal not until he laces 'em up against the big boys in the division.

He should fight the hayemaker next rather than take on another cab driver.
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by Truth234(m): 11:57am On Apr 09, 2016
bomasek:
Haye is steadily building his way up there. It's a gradual process.

As for Martins,he was given a gift decision as his previous bout should v been ruled a No Contest as a result of the injury suffered by his opponent.

I still stand on my word that AJ isn't the real deal not until he laces 'em up against the big boys in the division.

He should fight the hayemaker next rather than take on another cab driver.

You can call AJ other things but to say he is not the real deal? Bro check figures, he is the one carrying heavyweight division right now.

He ignites the crowd like no other, and to get a title fight after just 15th fights means he is the real deal. If you don't know he get paid more than Tyson Fury per fight because of the crowd he command.

Haye knows himself that he would have to fight his way up and don't forget haye was once part of AJ training camp.

They want to fight but Haye is just not on that level right now, he needs to fight more reasonable fighters not wash-up Mark.
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by bomasek(m): 12:24pm On Apr 09, 2016
Truth234:

You can call AJ other things but to say he is not the real deal? Bro check figures, he is the one carrying heavyweight division right now.

He ignites the crowd like no other, and to get a title fight after just 15th fights means he is the real deal. If you don't know he get paid more than Tyson Fury per fight because of the crowd he command.

Haye knows himself that he would have to fight his way up and don't forget haye was once part of AJ training camp.

They want to fight but Haye is just not on that level right now, he needs to fight more reasonable fighters not wash-up Mark.
if he drives up ticket sales as u say,let him test his popularity rating on American tv/soil.

The British crowd will always support one of theirs any day,any time. The level of competition faced between the hayemaker and AJ is miles apart.

AJ should stop padding his record by fighting bums,cab drivers and part time boxers if he wants to be taken serious as the new face of the heavyweight division.
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by Truth234(m): 1:14pm On Apr 09, 2016
bomasek:
if he drives up ticket sales as u say,let him test his popularity rating on American tv/soil.

The British crowd will always support one of theirs any day,any time. The level of competition faced between the hayemaker and AJ is miles apart.

AJ should stop padding his record by fighting bums,cab drivers and part time boxers if he wants to be taken serious as the new face of the heavyweight division.

Lol.. Its normal for every upcoming boxers to fight not so ranked fighters because one no established pro boxer will give no name boxer a chance.

Mike Tyson did it, same with David Haye, Fury, etc but when they brought Dillian Whyte to test AJ ability didn't AJ KO him? When Charles Martins called him out after wining IBF tittle didn't AJ accepted? Even when people were saying it is too early in his career?

This is how boxing works, its about ranking and top boxers giving dangerous fighter like AJ a chance. Trust me Charles Martins is taking a big risk by fighting AJ, win or lose he Charles is a winner.

I understand British crowd will always support their own but how come other British boxer are not generating similar sales? This fight ticket was sold within 90 seconds.

While Tyson Fury is struggling with 6000 shirt sales, AJ merchandise selling like a wildfire. Currently no heavy weight fighter is generating similar buzz.

On David Haye don't forget he retired after calling off his fight against Tyson Fury twice claiming injury. Now because he is broke, he is looking for huge pay day. He should find his way up the rank first.
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by bomasek(m): 1:38pm On Apr 09, 2016
Truth234:

Lol.. Its normal for every upcoming boxers to fight not so ranked fighters because one no established pro boxer will give no name boxer a chance.

Mike Tyson did it, same with David Haye, Fury, etc but when they brought Dillian Whyte to test AJ ability didn't AJ KO him? When Charles Martins called him out after wining IBF tittle didn't AJ accepted? Even when people were saying it is too early in his career?

This is how boxing works, its about ranking and top boxers giving dangerous fighter like AJ a chance. Trust me Charles Martins is taking a big risk by fighting AJ, win or lose he Charles is a winner.

I understand British crowd will always support their own but how come other British boxer are not generating similar sales? This fight ticket was sold within 90 seconds.

While Tyson Fury is struggling with 6000 shirt sales, AJ merchandise selling like a wildfire. Currently no heavy weight fighter is generating similar buzz.

On David Haye don't forget he retired after calling off his fight against Tyson Fury twice claiming injury. Now because he is broke, he is looking for huge pay day. He should find his way up the rank first.
Had no idea that his merchandise sells @the speed of lightening,thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by bomasek(m): 7:23pm On Apr 09, 2016
Op,the fight never end?
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by oloriooko(m): 7:50pm On Apr 09, 2016
So who cone win na
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by Truth234(m): 9:10pm On Apr 09, 2016
Then never start am, 11 Pm Uk time
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by 50calibre(m): 9:24pm On Apr 09, 2016
A lot of people are expecting Joshua to win and I don't blame them, if I was to bet, my money would be on Joshua, the guy is in supreme condition

However we know boxing isn't all about power as a matter of fact, muscle bound fighters are sometimes disadvantaged due to higher oxygen need which means they get tired as the fight progresses, Frank Bruno was a prime example of this

I think Joshua would win but I won't be surprised if Martin stops him, I did watch the guy train and he's way faster than Joshua, if it comes down to technique, he beats Joshua

They're currently showing some rubbish undercard fights
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by Truth234(m): 10:55pm On Apr 09, 2016
Anthony Joshua via twitter ‎@anthonyfjoshua. Wrapped and ready! #AJBoxing

AJ is on his way to the ring for London’s first heavyweight title fight in fifteen years. It’s time!
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by aliondo: 11:01pm On Apr 09, 2016
A.J just entered the ring.......
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by Nobody: 11:05pm On Apr 09, 2016
aliondo:
A.J just entered the ring.......
How's d fight going
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by Nobody: 11:11pm On Apr 09, 2016
Pls where can I watch d match
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by bomasek(m): 11:13pm On Apr 09, 2016
Boss update us,no light here o
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by Nobody: 11:14pm On Apr 09, 2016
bomasek:
D thin pain me hen,imagine two undefeated boxers on a ring
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by AntiWailer: 11:15pm On Apr 09, 2016
They have started ooo

Anthony Joshua took the 1st round. Nicee.
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by aliondo: 11:15pm On Apr 09, 2016
The fight just started.....
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by Nobody: 11:18pm On Apr 09, 2016
aliondo:
The fight just started.....
Abeg where u dey watch d match
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by Truth234(m): 11:19pm On Apr 09, 2016
Joshua moves with a left jab, and misses with a right-hander. Martin is reluctant to step in, keeping his left raised. He has an advantage on range, but Joshua is cautious too. A right-hander does connect, and another, exploiting Martin’s upright stance. A couple of swings from Martin, and Joshua lands another right! A tentative start, but that’s Joshua’s round.

Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by AntiWailer: 11:20pm On Apr 09, 2016
bomasek:

ROund 2 knocked down the defending champion twice'
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by AntiWailer: 11:20pm On Apr 09, 2016
Nihilist:

YOU HAVE YOUR ANSWER

ROUND TWO KNOCK OUTTTTTTTTT

16 FIGHTS

16 WIN

16 KNOCK OUTS

Anthony Oluwafemi Olaseni Joshua

WHat a smart FIghter.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by aliondo: 11:22pm On Apr 09, 2016
Seems A.J gonna knock him out soon.....#TeamA.J
Re: Nigerian British Boxer Anthony Joshua Defeats American Charles Martins by SirShymexx: 11:22pm On Apr 09, 2016
Brapppppppppppppppppppp!!

I just won on 2nd round knockout!!

AJ AJ AJ AJ!!!

Proud of you, fam!!

Champ is here!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sure Two Odds With Trial / Torgah Defends Nigeria Masters Title, Earns 2nd White Jacket / NFF Plans Introduction Of VAR In Domestic League

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.