Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,470 members, 7,781,367 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:16 PM

Whatsapp Isn’t So Secured After All And Here’s Why - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Whatsapp Isn’t So Secured After All And Here’s Why (1053 Views)

Why Your Android Phone Isn’t Getting Operating System Updates / Why Pokemon Go Isn’t Available In Nigeria And How To Install It On Your Device. / Is The Blackberry10 Most Secured Security Pattern For Mobile Phone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whatsapp Isn’t So Secured After All And Here’s Why by TechsNG: 12:43pm On Apr 09, 2016
WhatsApp recently turned on the end-to-end encryption technology on it's messaging platform and that was like the biggest news from the messaging app this year (Well, apart from other interesting features being added to the platform).

I mean, almost everyone talked about how secured WhatsApp now operates. It felt really welcoming. WhatsApp also added that no one can actually read your messages except you and the recipients. Not hackers, not cyber-criminals, oppressive regimes, not even WhatsApp itself.

That feeling really felt right. Especially to our ladies who always felt someone could monitor their WhatsApp messages without them knowing.

Just for the records, those statements by WhatsApp ain't completely true. I mean, while cyber criminals, WhatsApp, oppressive regimes, hackers may not be able to read your WhatsApp messages, sent pictures and sorts, anyone who's held your phone and accessed your WhatsApp for a few minutes can actually read your WhatsApp conversations when he/she isn't with the phone (i.e if they want to and they know how to).

How? Say Hello to WhatsApp web feature. While WhatsApp web feature is an awesome feature as it allows me reply my WhatsApp messages straight from my computer, it is WhatsApp biggest flaw in terms of privacy.

If I gain access to your phone and accessed your WhatsApp and I hope to continue reading your WhatsApp messages even when you are not close to me, it's very possible. As indicated in the screenshot above, I can read and reply my WhatsApp messages while on my laptop.

I can certainly do same for your WhatsApp messages especially if you are a female and have no idea about this tech buhaha. Nope, it won't be required of me to enter any password whenever I want to continue reading your messages right from my computer as long as your phone and my computer has both got internet connection.

So you see, even with the end-to-end encryption feature being put in place, the way the WhatsApp web feature operates, hasn't been changed. Hence, WhatsApp isn't so secured after all.

BBM has got similar feature known as BBM Blend. However, it is more secured as no one can read or continue reading your BBM messages without knowing the password to your phone. More reason why I recently said, BBM is more secured than WhatsApp.
Re: Whatsapp Isn’t So Secured After All And Here’s Why by TohKunBoh: 1:39pm On Jul 14, 2016
Wow like I knew their end to end stuff is all fallacy..mtchew
Re: Whatsapp Isn’t So Secured After All And Here’s Why by jheed: 2:18pm On Jul 19, 2016
I don't understand how u say the web feature woks
Re: Whatsapp Isn’t So Secured After All And Here’s Why by LordReed(m): 4:20pm On Jul 19, 2016
What has reading someone's messages on a PC got to do with end to end encryption? The purpose of end to end encryption is to make sure your messages are not intercepted so you want WhatsApp to come to your house to help you secure your device as well? Rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Isn’t So Secured After All And Here’s Why by Jackpeter96(m): 9:49am On Jul 20, 2016
LordReed:
What has reading someone's messages on a PC got to do with end to end encryption? The purpose of end to end encryption is to make sure your messages are not intercepted so you want WhatsApp to come to your house to help you secure your device as well? Rubbish.
bro op is right... The reason for end to end encryption is simply to protect your messages from being intercepted, that you are correct about but OP'S whole point is that your messages aren't so encrypted because of the loophole called whatsapp web which can be used to access your whatsapp and read your so called end to end encrypted messages
Re: Whatsapp Isn’t So Secured After All And Here’s Why by Peterpan222(m): 10:21am On Jul 20, 2016
Jackpeter96:
bro op is right... The reason for end to end encryption is simply to protect your messages from being intercepted, that you are correct about but OP'S whole point is that your messages aren't so encrypted because of the loophole called whatsapp web which can be used to access your whatsapp and read your so called end to end encrypted messages
When they say your call has being intercepted, do u know what it means? It simply means that you were making a call but unknowingly to u that someone else is recording the call. That does not mean he has met one on one before or have get hold of your phone to install an interception app. All what he needed was just ur number.

Therefore, in the case of interception about whatsapp, they simply mean that Hackers with your number cannot receive nor read your messages over the air (encryption). But if u decide to use Whatsapp Web, then it's your duty to protect your PC against privacy intruding. Just the way u protect your ATM card.

If u decide to let low your device, anybody can have access to your Whatsapp and read the messages.

Now, tell me if for instance u have a business deal worth $10million, and the information is both in ur PC and Phone. Will u in anyway allow anybody to get hold of your Phone or PC? Won't u protect it with maximum physical and digital security? That is the same that happens with whatsapp.

Hackers will always hack and whatsapp will always patch hacks and update their service..

Hope u gat it now

4 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Isn’t So Secured After All And Here’s Why by kolexepana: 10:45am On Jul 20, 2016
But, what are you even securing?
Re: Whatsapp Isn’t So Secured After All And Here’s Why by Peterpan222(m): 11:03am On Jul 20, 2016
kolexepana:
But, what are you even securing?

TWO THINGS

YOU

THEM (Whatsapp)

YOU - you secure your phone and PC well by keeping them safe and using passwords or anything (padlock if u want) grin

THEM (Whatsapp) - secures your messages from interception over the air.

All against Hackers..
Re: Whatsapp Isn’t So Secured After All And Here’s Why by LordReed(m): 11:18am On Jul 20, 2016
Jackpeter96:

I maintain that it is a rubbish argument. WhatsApp has no duty to you to help you secure your device from someone reading already decrypted messages neither is it their duty to prevent your device from being connected to someone else's computer. You know you cannot connect the Web app with authorizing it from the phone so how is it WhatsApp's fault that someone took your phone and went to connect it to their computer without your knowledge? WhatsApp should send maiguard to be guarding your phone abi?

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Isn’t So Secured After All And Here’s Why by LordReed(m): 11:22am On Jul 20, 2016
Peterpan222:

When they say your call has being intercepted, do u know what it means? It simply means that you were making a call but unknowingly to u that someone else is recording the call. That does not mean he has met one on one before or have get hold of your phone to install an interception app. All what he needed was just ur number.

Therefore, in the case of interception about whatsapp, they simply mean that Hackers with your number cannot receive nor read your messages over the air (encryption). But if u decide to use Whatsapp Web, then it's your duty to protect your PC against privacy intruding. Just the way u protect your ATM card.

If u decide to let low your device, anybody can have access to your Whatsapp and read the messages.

Now, tell me if for instance u have a business deal worth $10million, and the information is both in ur PC and Phone. Will u in anyway allow anybody to get hold of your Phone or PC? Won't u protect it with maximum physical and digital security? That is the same that happens with whatsapp.

Hackers will always hack and whatsapp will always patch hacks and update their service..

Hope u gat it now

Thanks for explaining it in another way. People sometimes like to blame others for their own lapses. If you don't secure your device then WhatsApp has no liability or blame simple.
Re: Whatsapp Isn’t So Secured After All And Here’s Why by kolexepana: 12:08pm On Jul 20, 2016
Peterpan222:

TWO THINGS

YOU

THEM (Whatsapp)

YOU - you secure your phone and PC well by keeping them safe and using passwords or anything (padlock if u want) grin

THEM (Whatsapp) - secures your messages from interception over the air.

All against Hackers..
No matter the password, some hackers will still find their way though.
Re: Whatsapp Isn’t So Secured After All And Here’s Why by Peterpan222(m): 12:28pm On Jul 20, 2016
kolexepana:

No matter the password, some hackers will still find their way though.
Lolz... u are not actually following this thread. Start from the beginning.. I believe u will understand

(1) (Reply)

Airtel #500 750mb Plan Runs Like Tap Water. / Who Else Got This On Whatsapp? / Neatly Used Sony Xperia M4dual For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.