Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,752 members, 7,802,307 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:15 PM

Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children (3448 Views)

6 In Their Family, No Male. Will I Be Able To Have Male Children With Her? / Why Do Couples Tend To Look Alike? / Why Do Couples Look Alike After Years Of Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by drlizzy(f): 9:35am On Aug 01, 2009
ARE CHILDREN NO LONGER A GIFT FROM GOD?

THE ISSUE OF HAVING A MALE CHILD,SOMETIMES AT ALL COST HAS A BEEN A THORN IN THE FLESH OF MANY HOUSEWIVES.MOTHERS IN LAW HAVE GIVEN THEIR DAUGHTERS IN LAW UNBEARABLE TROUBLES,WHILE SOME MEN HAVE SEEN THIS AS AN EXCUSE TO MARRY MORE THAN ONE WIFE EVEN THOUGH MOST TIMES THEY REALLY WANT TO DO SO.I COULD GO ON AND ON BUT I WANT TO GIVE US ALL THE CHANCE TO CONTRIBUTE.
IF YOU,YOUR FRIENDS OR LOVED ONES ARE NOT IN NEED OF A MALE CHILD,YOU MAY NEVER UNDERSTAND THE ISSUES IN HAVING A MALE CHILD.
SO THE BIG QUESTION IS:DO NIGERIAN COUPLES REALLY DESIRE TO HAVE MALE CHILDREN THAN FEMALES?
LET ROLL!!!!!
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by drlizzy(f): 1:22pm On Aug 02, 2009
why is there a preference for male children?is this only applicable to nigerians and africans?
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by oyinda3(f): 8:23am On Aug 03, 2009
look at obama. just 2 daughters.
if it were the typical nigerian dude, he would have manufactured at least 4 boys upon assuming the position. n even before sef.
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by dominique(f): 6:13pm On Aug 03, 2009
too muc importance is attached to male chldren in the past decades. nowadays, we s people know better than to seek desperately for any gender of child.
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Nobody: 12:47am On Aug 04, 2009
Topic.

They hold the family name afloat. Simple
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by freely(f): 12:38pm On Aug 04, 2009
Aflot? what is ur name when u r dead? instead of looking for who would carry your name why not do something great while alive so that u can be remembered for it? I know a man that was so much in need of a male child that he went looking for the son he abandoned years ago. Brought the grown man to America and bailed him out of jail four times within the 1 year. I guess he learned the hard way.
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by plappville(f): 8:12pm On Aug 04, 2009
freely:

Aflot? what is ur name when u r dead? instead of looking for who would carry your name why not do something great while alive so that u can be remembered for it? I know a man that was so much in need of a male child that he went looking for the son he abandoned years ago. Brought the grown man to America and bailed him out of jail four times within the 1 year. I guess he learned the hard way.

[center] Aflot? what is ur name when u r dead? instead of looking for who would carry your name why not do something great while alive so that u can be remembered for it?[/center]
good question

family name my foot, that thing na tipical aficana man mentality, it seems balanced when we have both male and female kids, but it should be a do or die affair to make a male child.
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Fhemmmy: 8:16pm On Aug 04, 2009
plappville:

[center] Aflot? what is ur name when u r dead? instead of looking for who would carry your name why not do something great while alive so that u can be remembered for it?[/center]
good question

family name my foot, that thing na tipical aficana man mentality, it seems balanced when we have both male and female kids, but it should be a do or die affair to make a male child.

For me, it is cos i never had a brother and will like to know what having one would feel like.
So will like to have a son, however, it is not a must, if i can have one, great and if not, God is still good, and will love my wife still and treat her like a jewel
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Ben13: 5:10pm On Aug 05, 2009
Male children brings hope that the family name will continue.
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by canuck(m): 8:18pm On Aug 05, 2009
@ Topic

The need for a son to carry on the family name appears to be cross-racial to me.

For example, I know four caucasian couples who gave one of their sons the last names of the fathers-in-law, because the fathers-in-law did not bear sons. Individually, the families tell me it is a widespread practice.

Men who wreck their homes, looking for male kids, are sick.

Thanks to science, we now know that the sex of the child is determined by the Dad, not the Mom!

If, as a man, you're 'shooting out' Y-Chromosomes, na so-so Angelina you go dey born o! And there's nothing wrong with Angelinas smiley
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by TOPE20001(f): 11:06pm On Aug 05, 2009
Ben20001:

Male children brings hope that the family name will continue.

he has answered your question wink
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by mamag3: 11:46pm On Aug 05, 2009
It's because they take care of the inheritance more than the girls.
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by thimbook2(m): 2:45pm On Sep 11, 2009
i think the male child thing is over-exaggerated.

all u ought to be praying for is to see your offspring succeed before your very eyes and in your lifetime

no be one girl marry okocha or se akunyili no be woman?

its time to get things in the right perspective abeg and may the good Lord help us all
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Nobody: 2:46pm On Sep 11, 2009
seriously.

There's too much pressure on the male children when they finally arrive.
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Pittbaby(f): 3:13pm On Sep 11, 2009
Carry the family name , tell me if you will eat the family name when the child ignores you in old age. pray for good children male or female
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Ndipe(m): 1:15am On Sep 12, 2009
drlizzy:

ARE CHILDREN NO LONGER A GIFT FROM GOD[center][/center]

THE ISSUE OF HAVING A MALE CHILD,SOMETIMES AT ALL COST HAS A BEEN A THORN IN THE FLESH OF MANY HOUSEWIVES.MOTHERS INLAW HAVE GIVEN THEIR DAUGHTERS INLAW UNBEARABLE TROUBLES,WHILE SOME MEN HAVE SEEN THIS AS AN EXCUSE TO MARRY MORE THAN ONE WIFE EVEN THOUGH MOST TIMES THEY REALLY WANT TO DO SO.I COULD GO ON AND ON BUT I WANT TO GIVE US ALL THE CHANCE TO CONTRIBUTE.
IF YOU,YOUR FRIENDS OR LOVED ONES ARE NOT IN NEED OF A MALE CHILD,YOU MAY NEVER UNDERSTAND THE ISSUES IN HAVING A MALE CHILD.
SO THE BIG QUESTION IS:DO NIGERIAN COUPLES REALLY DESIRE TO HAVE MALE CHILDREN THAN FEMALES?
LET ROLL!!!!!

Not just housewives, but nearly every married woman desires to have a male child. And the reason is for the perpetuation of the family name. And besides you show know the answer to the question you pose, "Do Nigerian couples really desire to have male children than females?"
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by drlizzy(f): 11:04am On Apr 01, 2013
Ndipe:

Not just housewives, but nearly every married woman desires to have a male child. And the reason is for the perpetuation of the family name. And besides you show know the answer to the question you pose, "Do Nigerian couples really desire to have male children than females?"
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by toofine765: 9:15pm On Apr 01, 2013
It's usually best if we are able to mix up both sexes but then, it's not in our power, God is the one who gives. I have two lovely daughters aged 6 and 4 and they keep asking me when I am going to give birth to their brother. I tell them soon and keep praying that God grants their desire as I know it will make both my girls and their daddy happy, but all in all, let the will of God prevail.
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by baby124: 9:19pm On Apr 01, 2013
I dont blame them honestly. Some dumb female children can go and hand over their father's properties to opportunists and fraudsters who end up squandering what they did not work hard for, or giving it out to other women and their numerous illegitimate children. Such a parent may wake up from the grave and start fighting. LMAO. But male children can equally be a disaster, however, there is some security that the family business and property and name will live on and will be in hands that hopefully will appreciate it. Also, other children will be able to benefit from the profits and will get something over their life time, if well handled. As a husband may demand total focus on his family from his wife. Instead of dealing with family businesses, work and her own family. Its all complicated. Each child in regards to gender has the role they play.
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Nobody: 9:25pm On Apr 01, 2013
Well, I won't call it 'Desperate' but 'Family Balancing' esp when you have only one sex....it's the matter of preference as long as you have the resources to care for them.

Ummm...as per family name, come to think of it, I will die with my Father's name hyphened with my married name and I'm a girl... check that. wink

* in other words^^, it's not really bout the family name for me I just love to have one Boy in the mix*
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Nobody: 9:35pm On Apr 01, 2013
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Nobody: 9:39pm On Apr 01, 2013
grin grin grin

@cc oh ....hyphenated surname with my Dad's? How do you mean?

Well just their Dad's.
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 01, 2013
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Nobody: 9:45pm On Apr 01, 2013
Lol @cc , you want @ Davidlan to finish me patapata! grin

Seriously you think a man will allow that?
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Nobody: 9:49pm On Apr 01, 2013
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Nobody: 9:53pm On Apr 01, 2013
jidegirl12: Lol @cc , you want @ Davidlan to finish me patapata! grin

Seriously you think a man will allow that?

Yes. Used to have a colleague that bore a hyphenation of his mother's maiden name and dad's surname but the guy be Oyinbo sha. Don't know if any dudu go allow am.

@ Thread, I honestly have no idea what the big deal is. Decided to have two kids and I don't think that decision would have been different if both were of the same sex. Might have been different for hubby, he always said he must have at least one female child.
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Nobody: 9:53pm On Apr 01, 2013
Ok ma grin grin

But if I change my mind on the Boy thingy ,..,, they will have no other choice but to bear hyphenated last names too( when married)... At least if that'll be the only favor I will ever ask from them.
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Nobody: 9:58pm On Apr 01, 2013
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Nobody: 10:00pm On Apr 01, 2013
grin grin grin

It's already a heated issue btw us. We will see wink

That's when I'll need you.
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Nobody: 10:10pm On Apr 01, 2013
Re: Why Do Couples Desperately Desire Male Children by Nobody: 10:16pm On Apr 01, 2013
^ Sell out tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ladies, Is It Right To Choose Friends For Your Husband? / Partner with Chymall an e-commerce business and earn on ur investment / Why Do Some Women Become Wicked In Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.