Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:22 AM

How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast (31709 Views)

How To Have A Quick Career Growth / Smiling And The Story Of The Women That Sell Toast Bread / The Demands Of An Impromptu Writing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by Emereolevanwill(m): 11:15am On Apr 10, 2016
happy sunday.
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by eagleonearth(m): 11:16am On Apr 10, 2016
metorichmond:
Bros I no understand one thing for wetin u write so
maybe u read wf ur medulla occupying d space of ur cerebellum. Now re-arrange ur brain and read again.
coolcharm:
Nice framework. Can apply to writing as well.
so nice and crystal clear.
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by afelele9(m): 11:20am On Apr 10, 2016
[color=#000099][/col or] 9ice ORiENTE
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by Walexz02(m): 11:28am On Apr 10, 2016
Nice write up
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by Ejaisky: 12:08pm On Apr 10, 2016
edygistvilla:
Most people would agree that the idea of speaking in front of large groups of people can be terrifying, and so we tend to avoid it whenever possible. There are times, however, when we are faced with the task and there's no running away: we must say a few words. The following is a template for success which you can use when it's your turn to speak, in just about any type of gathering, formal or informal.

1. The Greeting

"Good..."

The greeting is the easy part. You begin by simply wishing your audience a good morning, afternoon, evening, or whatever time of day it is. **Good* evening everybody...*

2. State the Event

"As we all know..."

The second part is also very easy: You simply state the obvious and remind everybody what the purpose of the event or celebration is, and what you're all doing there. **As we all know,* we're here to celebrate the marriage of John and Kate, and to show them our support as they begin their journey of love and life together...* Now you've got the ball rolling, and the words are coming out easily. You look like you know what you're doing up there, and people are listening. So now, it's time to....

3. Establish Common Ground

"We've all..."

It's important to include your audience as part of the message you're delivering. Talk about something both yourself and your audience can relate to regarding the event or celebration. **We've all* had the wonderful opportunity to get to know John and Kate and enjoy watching their love develop...*

4. State Why You're Speaking

"I..."

Include a personal account, or tell a brief story to let people know why you specifically are talking. What gives you the right to be speaking..? **I've* personally been very lucky to have John as a close friend of mine, and it's been quite amazing to watch how he's grown as a person, and couldn't be more pleased for him to have found someone like Kate to go about his life with...*

5. Call for Action

"So let's all..."

Finally, close your speech with a call for action. This lets everybody know that you're finished without you having to awkwardly say "That's it!" or "I'm finished, thank you"...that is how every weak speech is concluded and makes the audience uncomfortable. You should say something like **"So let's all* raise a glass to John and Kate, and wish them well. Cheers!" or, So Let's all give a big round of applause to Mark for the outstanding job he's done while working with the company"*

Obviously, there are many different ways these leading lines can be used, but if you can commit them to memory and be prepared to use them next time you might be asked to speak, you will let go of all fear and anxiety, and people will be SO impressed with your ability to get up and give a confident, fluent speech in front of a group of people, while looking like you didn't even have to prepare! Good luck, and happy public speaking!

Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by Saheed9: 12:09pm On Apr 10, 2016
edygistvilla:
Most people would agree that the idea of speaking in front of large groups of people can be terrifying, and so we tend to avoid it whenever possible. There are times, however, when we are faced with the task and there's no running away: we must say a few words. The following is a template for success which you can use when it's your turn to speak, in just about any type of gathering, formal or informal.

1. The Greeting

"Good..."

The greeting is the easy part. You begin by simply wishing your audience a good morning, afternoon, evening, or whatever time of day it is. **Good* evening everybody...*

2. State the Event

"As we all know..."

The second part is also very easy: You simply state the obvious and remind everybody what the purpose of the event or celebration is, and what you're all doing there. **As we all know,* we're here to celebrate the marriage of John and Kate, and to show them our support as they begin their journey of love and life together...* Now you've got the ball rolling, and the words are coming out easily. You look like you know what you're doing up there, and people are listening. So now, it's time to....

"We've all..."

It's important to include your audience as part of the message you're delivering. Talk about something both yourself and your audience can relate to regarding the event or celebration. **We've all* had the wonderful opportunity to get to know John and Kate and enjoy watching their love develop...*

"I..."

Include a personal account, or tell a brief story to let people know why you specifically are talking. What gives you the right to be speaking..? **I've* personally been very lucky to have John as a close friend of mine, and it's been quite amazing to watch how he's grown as a person, and couldn't be more pleased for him to have found someone like Kate to go about his life with...*

5. Call for Action

"So let's all..."

Finally, close your speech with a call for action. This lets everybody know that you're finished without you having to awkwardly say "That's it!" or "I'm finished, thank you"...that is how every weak speech is concluded and makes the audience uncomfortable. You should say something like **"So let's all* raise a glass to John and Kate, and wish them well. Cheers!" or, So Let's all give a big round of applause to Mark for the outstanding job he's done while working with the company"*

Obviously, there are many different ways these leading lines can be used, but if you can commit them to memory and be prepared to use them next time you might be asked to speak, you will let go of all fear and anxiety, and people will be SO impressed with your ability to get up and give a confident, fluent speech in front of a group of people, while looking like you didn't even have to prepare! Good luck, and happy public speaking!

the event has governors on seat please who do I greet first, the host governor or the other governors. Should I greet the king first or the Governor? Please answer I've other questions
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by millhouse: 12:22pm On Apr 10, 2016
Ebimablog:
Very helpful
yea
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by edygistvilla(m): 12:35pm On Apr 10, 2016
Jesus Christ guys front page, thank you smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by BigBizzy(m): 12:37pm On Apr 10, 2016
I was once in this impromptu situation where I was called upon to give a toast to the couple...

Initially I felt tensed but the way the mc introduced me help... Calling me an honorable (this single act gave me one chick sef)

I went there did a little introduction, wished them well and politely asked everyone to stand up for the toast.. Thank God they all complied. And finally went straight to where the couples were and had the first toast with them....

From that day henceforth, I always told myself "always be prepared" no matter what.

1 Like

Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by BigBizzy(m): 12:38pm On Apr 10, 2016
Saheed9:
the event has governors on seat please who do I greet first, the host governor or the other governors. Should I greet the king first or the Governor? Please answer I've other questions

Simple say "all existing protocols duely observed" and just do your thing.
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by ROYALD(m): 12:50pm On Apr 10, 2016
NICE
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by Heymus(m): 12:52pm On Apr 10, 2016
Very helpful

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by GreatManBee: 1:02pm On Apr 10, 2016
edygistvilla:

1. The Greeting

"Good..."

2. State the Event

"As we all know..."

"We've all..."

"I..."

5. Call for Action

"So let's all..."

Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by lailo: 1:08pm On Apr 10, 2016
Even when u know what to say,if u can't speak good english,u're doomed.
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by RobinHez(m): 1:23pm On Apr 10, 2016
george93:
I luv d tip bt some people r innately born wif stage fright. Hw do they overcome that?

Hi

'Innately born'

Don't u think it's odd putting them together? It'd be easier just leaving the 'innately' out of it cuz it's saying the same thing with 'born' smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by Bontia(m): 1:27pm On Apr 10, 2016
Beautiful
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by edygistvilla(m): 1:29pm On Apr 10, 2016
RobinHez:

Hi

'Innately born'

Don't u think it's odd putting them together? It'd be easier just leaving the 'innately' out of it cuz it's saying the same thing with 'born' smiley

I think He did that for the purpose of emphasis smiley
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by shikshark: 1:35pm On Apr 10, 2016
beyoncausme:

what if u crack a joke and the audience dont laugh to it
that alone can throw u off balance.
just simply leave the joke side for comedians
like i said....it depends on the mood of the audience
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by shikshark: 1:36pm On Apr 10, 2016
beyoncausme:

what if u crack a joke and the audience dont laugh to it

that alone can throw u off balance.

just simply leave the joke side for comedians
like i said....it depends on the mood of the audience.......its something ive tried on many occasions and worked like magic
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by RobinHez(m): 1:37pm On Apr 10, 2016
edygistvilla:

I think He did that for the purpose of emphasis smiley
We musnt make syntantical and semantical errors for the sake of emphasis. 'Born' is enough for anyone to know what he's talking about. smiley
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by blezynetym(f): 1:45pm On Apr 10, 2016
Nice one there! Tuala for you
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by edygistvilla(m): 1:49pm On Apr 10, 2016
RobinHez:

We musnt make syntantical and semantical errors for the sake of emphasis. 'Born' is enough for anyone to know what he's talking about. smiley
To err is human smiley
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by Nobody: 1:57pm On Apr 10, 2016
Good job putting this up here, but next time credit your source. There are people who still care about little things like that.
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by gragraboy: 1:59pm On Apr 10, 2016
metorichmond:
Bros I no understand one thing for wetin u write so, anyways Happy mother's day to ma lovely mum n other lovely mummies out there.
You go school so?
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by chimmyluv90: 2:40pm On Apr 10, 2016
Nyc one
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by xreal: 2:45pm On Apr 10, 2016
Threads like this should remain on Front Page for the next 4 days or so.

....not those 'snake' threads.

Thumbs up to the OP.
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by professore(m): 2:56pm On Apr 10, 2016
I like this
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by metorichmond(m): 4:23pm On Apr 10, 2016
Your name alone shows the kind of person u are, so no need to waste ma precious time.
Who gra gra don epp?
gragraboy:

You go school so?

2 Likes

Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by MIcdej(m): 4:36pm On Apr 10, 2016
Good job Op.

We are in a generation where you must be able to express yourself before large audience. The exception is for those that are contented with being an average person.

Leaders are speakers.

1 Like

Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by timothyuche1(m): 4:36pm On Apr 10, 2016
That's nice toast
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by dannewlife(m): 4:42pm On Apr 10, 2016
Thanks a million. It's wonderful.
Re: How To Give A Quick, Impromptu Speech Or Toast by MIcdej(m): 4:42pm On Apr 10, 2016
Fmartin:
Op, can diz work for shy people

Every shy person can become a good public speaker. It only takes determination on his or her part.
"Public Speaking" by Carneigie is a very good book to overcome stage fright and shyness.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Andela Sacks 420 Staff In Nigeria, Kenya And Uganda / How To Stop Being Dependent On Monthly Salary / Photo Of Firefighters Looking Very Tired After Putting Off The Grenfell Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.