Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

# Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System (3084 Views)

The 9 Igbo Players Were Chosen Based On Merit Not Tribalism! / Ben Murray-Bruce's Tweets About Quota System (Screenshot) / Hilarious Tweet By Ben Murray-bruce & People Can't Stop Talking About It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

# Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by CHIJIOKE1314: 8:47am On Apr 10, 2016
1-I was looking at cut off marks for students from different states. What I saw is nothing short of legalized discrimination #MeritNotQuota

2-How can one state have a cut off mark of 20 and another has 136 in the same country. Can we progress with such injustice? #MeritNotQuota

3-If after 40 years of practicing quota system a state still has cut off Mark of 20 isn't that proof quota is not working? #MeritNotQuota

4-We want unity in Nigeria. As long as we retain quota systems, there'll be resentments amongst Nigerian which fuels disunity #MeritNotQuota

5-Before we had quota, Saudi Arabia's royal family came to the University College Hospital, Ibadan for treatment in the 60s #MeritNotQuota

6-After we implemented quota system, our leaders began to go to Saudi Arabia for treatment. The facts speak for themselves #MeritNotQuota

7-Leaders who promote quota should do us a favor and allow a quota system doctor operate on them next time they need surgery #MeritNotQuota

8-As long as quota system of entry into schools & jobs doesn't change, Nigeria won't change much, no matter who is president #MeritNotWuota

9-If we want progress in Nigeria, we must remove every social injustice and ensure a level playing ground for all Nigerians #MeritNotQuota

10-Look at our private sector. The reason private enterprise is doing so well is because of merit not quota #MeritNotQuota

11-It is an insult to call people educationally backward. I have 1017 staff from all over Nigeria. They are all brilliant #MeritNotQuota

12-No ethnic group is intellectually superior or inferior to another. God is not unjust. That is my case against quota system #MeritNotQuota

Ben Murray-Bruce ‎@benmurraybruce
Quota System and Federal Character leads to a sense of entitlement in beneficiaries and resentment in others. Merit is a better way of life. 8:23 AM - 2 Sep 2015

5 Likes

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by CHIJIOKE1314: 8:47am On Apr 10, 2016
The senator representing Bayelsa- East Senatorial District in the upper chamber of the National Assembly, Mr. Ben Murray- Bruce, appeared to be bristling with rage when he recently commented on the ‘Federal Character’ and ‘Quota’ principles. Like the contentious Quota System applied when processing admission into federal educational institutions, the Federal Character principle amplifies the diverse configuration of Nigeria as a nation along ethnic (majority or minority), religious (Christian-Muslim mainly) and other lines, such as the educationally advantaged and disadvantaged. The perceivable differences have never ceased to task past and present governments on how best to ensure the country’s corporate peace, stability and, indeed, existence under a system acceptable as fair to all the federating units. Attaining this singular objective has, however, remained elusive, what with incessant cries of marginalisation and other grouses coming from virtually all constituent parts whenever they feel their interests are threatened.

While the quota system came into being before the country’s independence in 1960, according to reports, the Federal Character principle became officially recognised in the 1979 Constitution as a vehicle for ethnic representation in the public sector. Today, the Federal Character Commission (FCC) is in place, established as a federal executive body by Act No 34 of 1996 to implement and enforce the Federal Character principles of fairness and equity in the distribution of public posts and socio-economic infrastructures among the various federating units. The provisions of the 1999 Constitution (as altered) in Sections 14 and 153 consolidated the establishment of the FCC. The commission now deploys its officials to physically monitor all federal recruitment exercises and ensure that they substantially comply with approved guidelines.

The controversy over the years, however, has been that with Federal Character and Quota System taking the centre stages in admission, recruitment, promotion and appointment processes, the advancement of the country‘s public institutions, which ought to be the drivers of development, is neither based on merit nor competence. It is against this backdrop that critics insist that the nation urgently needs a review of her educational policies and an extensive educational infrastructural development to accommodate its growing student population, for example.

This seemed the point Bruce reiterated when he said Federal Character was drawing the country back. The senator said: “Nigeria must make progress though tribe and tongue may differ. The only way to do that is by saying goodbye to ethnicity and hello to merit. Compare the progress that Nigeria made before the quota system (1960-66) and the retrogression we have made since 1966 till date. The difference is clear. Federal Character cannot make an electrical power station work. It can’t make refineries work. Only merit can ensure this. As a result of Federal Character, Nigeria Airways went from 30 aircraft to bankruptcy and a debt of over $60m by the year 2000. Quota System and Federal Character lead to a sense of entitlement in beneficiaries and resentment in others. Merit is a better way of life…”.

Such has been the nature of contempt many harbour for the two retrogressive systems which, in any case, have their roots in the national political games that predated the nation’s independence from Britain in 1960. We recall that in 1953, the late Chief Anthony Enahoro first moved the motion for Nigeria’s independence. But the motion suffered setbacks in the colonial parliament when his colleagues from the North opposed to it staged a walkout. Repeated pressure and agitations against colonialism and representations of the motion by the likes of the late S.L. Akintola (1957); Remi Fani-Kayode (1958); and Sir Tafawa Balewa (1959), all late, eventually yielded independence in 1960.

The rest is history, but what is obvious is the uneven educational, infrastructural, industrial, political and socio-economic development of Nigeria’s constituent parts since 1960; though the most visible appears to be educational. The setbacks were compounded by the selfish, carefree, manipulative, exploitative and dishonest attitudes of subsequent leaders. A fraction of the dilemma presently would include the 10.5 million children reported to be out-of- school in the North alone, as well as the insurgency in the North East that has compounded the problem. This may take decades if not centuries to overcome. How ready are Nigerian leaders to enthrone an educational system that would produce competent drivers of development nationwide in the foreseeable future? How ready are leaders to depart from rendering insincere, unpatriotic, corrupt, and self-serving leadership; and help Nigeria conquer the pangs of illiteracy, mass poverty and joblessness, avoidable diseases and death? Federal Character and Quota System are merely cosmetic solution to a chronic cancer.
Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by AngryNigerian(m): 9:01am On Apr 10, 2016
We preach #merit when it benefit us...

We then go back to #Qouta when #Merit doesn't favor us anymore!!!

#YeyeDeSmellAllOver

3 Likes

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by OAFMods: 9:10am On Apr 10, 2016
I hope this dunce stated all of this on the floor of the senate.
Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by Fullamafia: 9:21am On Apr 10, 2016
This guy is either seriously daft, or is playing to win over the emotional hearts of gullibles from a particular region, for his political advantage.

Does he realize unity schools(only schools where quota system applies) form less than 5% of all the secondary schools in the country?

Does he realize that the system was applied to intervene into the cultural and religious peculiarities of some regions which tend to encourage Arabic education over western, and not because of any intellectual superiority or inferiority?

Does he realize that those who do not want to be affected by the QS have the option of attending other non-unity schools which are over 95% of secondary schools?

As usual, his ignorant victims will swallow his bait, hook, line and sinker.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by olaitoro(m): 9:27am On Apr 10, 2016
Quota system has been a cub on the wheel of Nigeria progress as a nation.

My question is if the hausas and yorubas doubt the superior intellectual prowess of an average Igbo man, why are they afraid of MERIT system

Why did hausas and yorubas champion the cause of quota system as if their existence depend on it

Your guess is as good as mine.

God bless Nigeria

11 Likes

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by bjdon: 9:34am On Apr 10, 2016
Fullamafia:
This guy is either seriously daft, or is playing to win over the emotional hearts of gullibles from a particular region, for his political advantage.

Does he realize unity schools(only schools where quota system applies) form less than 5% of all the secondary schools in the country?

Does he realize that the system was applied to intervene into the cultural and religious peculiarities of some regions which tend to encourage Arabic education over western, and not because of any intellectual superiority or inferiority?

Does he realize that those who do not want to be affected by the QS have the option of attending other non-unity schools which are over 95% of secondary schools?

While he uses the Unity Schools as an example, the fact remains that the preference of Quota system/Federal Character over merit in All and any aspect of public life, be it Unity School admission or Federal civil service recruitment is just plain wrong. I can understand and accept that at independence something needed to be done, because the North was quite behind the south in terms of Western Education, but now after 56 years, its time to stop it. All public sector recruitment and Educational admissions should be by Merit only. Any country that does not use it's best people can never progress.

11 Likes

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by Fullamafia: 9:44am On Apr 10, 2016
bjdon:

While he uses the Unity Schools as an example, the fact remains that the preference of Quota system/Federal Character over merit in All and any aspect of public life, be it Unity School admission or Federal civil service recruitment is just plain wrong. I can understand and accept that at independence something needed to be done, because the North was quite behind the south in terms of Western Education, but now after 56 years, its time to stop it. All public sector recruitment and Educational admissions should be by Merit only. Any country that does not use it's best people can never progress.

Do you realize the agitation by the SE for example, for equal representation in political offices despite their political handicap is an agitation in favor of quota system? Didn't we hear cries of marginalization whenever they felt they had not gotten 'their quota' of appointments?

You cannot outrightly condemn the system in one premise, and advocate for it in another. Just as some regions are politically disadvantaged and still seek equal opportunities, other regions also seek equal opportunities despite their disadvantage in certain areas.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by tswitch: 9:51am On Apr 10, 2016
bjdon:

I couldn't have stated the obvious fact better.
Kudos!

People who are narrow minded or have less exposure should count to 1,000,000 before commenting on social media....if that is implemented we would have less of such myopic and shortsighted views.

Imagine using unity schools as a yardstick when we are talking of a whole federation?

Kai!

#MeritnotQuota

3 Likes

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by Fullamafia: 9:56am On Apr 10, 2016
tswitch:

I couldn't have stated the obvious fact better.
Kudos!

People who are narrow minded or have less exposure should count to 1,000,000 before commenting on social media....if that is implemented we would have less of such myopic and shortsighted views.

Imagine using unity schools as a yardstick when we are talking of a whole federation?

Kai!

#MeritnotQuota

Read the above response before shooting yourself in the foot. It is the peak of narrow mindedness to not appreciate the full spectrum of quota system.

Any reference to unity schools is a response to Ben Bruce's reference to school admission cut off marks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by tswitch: 9:59am On Apr 10, 2016
Fullamafia:

Read the above response before shooting yourself in the foot. It is the peak of narrow mindedness to not appreciate the full spectrum of quota system.

Any reference to unity schools is a response to Ben Bruce's reference to school admission cut off marks.

Just start counting to 1,000,0000

3 Likes

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by CHIJIOKE1314: 10:09am On Apr 10, 2016
Fullamafia. .

I have read your points and I am not interested in arguing them because there are still some vital sense embedded.. .

But, the issues remain; after all this year's we've practiced this and allas it did yield much result.. My brother don't you think we need to change..

No matter how you see this and the defence you may put up in favour, you must agree with me that in as much as it making your people also to partake gracefully in govt policy, that it is pulling another section aback..

Now, I think it will even be more advantageous to all parties if all section grow at their own pace, while we collectively introduce only those growths to any other sections its lacking..

1 Like

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by Fullamafia: 10:09am On Apr 10, 2016
tswitch:

Just start counting to 1,000,0000

I opened the mention expecting some substance.

What a disappointment.

2 Likes

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by Nobody: 10:14am On Apr 10, 2016
Say no to Quota system...Quota system is in place to suppress the Great Igbo Race!

[/quote]

4 Likes

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by Nobody: 10:18am On Apr 10, 2016
Fullamafia:
[s]This guy is either seriously daft, or is playing to win over the emotional hearts of gullibles from a particular region, for his political advantage.

As usual, his ignorant victims will swallow his bait, hook, line and sinker.[/s]

Shattap there...I know your tribe and the inordinate envy it has for the Igbos.

4 Likes

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by Fullamafia: 10:21am On Apr 10, 2016
CHIJIOKE1314:
Fullamafia. .

I have read your points and I am not interested in arguing them because there are still some vital sense embedded.. .

But, the issues remain; after all this year's we've practiced this and allas it did yield much result.. My brother don't you think we need to change..

No matter how you see this and the defence you may put up in favour, you must agree with me that in as much as it making your people also to partake gracefully in govt policy, that it is pulling another section aback..

Now, I think it will even be more advantageous to all parties if all section grow at their own pace, while we collectively introduce only those growths to any other sections its lacking..

The other day police officers were promoted, we heard so much cries because northerners dominated the list, as if they don't dominate the service. The complainants were expecting some sort of quota system to be applied so that all regions would be reflected in the promotion exercise.

The point is that quota system is definitely not ideal, however we do not operate in an ideal system either.

If we are to be idealist, then the system should be abolished throughout and no more cries of marginalization from any region should rent the air.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by Vicotex(m): 10:22am On Apr 10, 2016
Preach #MeritNotQuota
Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by Vicotex(m): 10:23am On Apr 10, 2016
Fullamafia:

[s]
The other day police officers were promoted, we heard so much cries because northerners dominated the list, as if they don't dominate the service. The complainants were expecting some sort of quota system to be applied so that all regions would be reflected in the promotion exercise.

The point is that quota system is definitely not ideal, however we do not operate in an ideal system either.

If we are to be idealist, then the system should be abolished throughout and no more cries of marginalization from any region should rent the air.[/s]
Quota system Apologist spotted

1 Like

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by bjdon: 10:23am On Apr 10, 2016
Fullamafia:

Do you realize the agitation by the SE for example, for equal representation in political offices despite their political handicap is an agitation in favor of quota system? Didn't we hear cries of marginalization whenever they felt they had not gotten 'their quota' of appointments?

You cannot outrightly condemn the system in one premise, and advocate for it in another. Just as some regions are politically disadvantaged and still seek equal opportunities, other regions also seek equal opportunities despite their disadvantage in certain areas.

I really don't understand why you say I am advocating SE representation, when I have ever done that? The simple fact is I have always advocated MERIT above all else. I am not even from the SE

If you are happy with a nation being run by less competent people, simply to satisfy base ethnic demands be my guest, just don't expect anything to change in Nigeria if we don't change how we do things. I leave you with a quote attributed to Einstein

'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and yet expecting different results'

2 Likes

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by dearsly(m): 10:23am On Apr 10, 2016
[s]
Fullamafia:

[/s]

YOU LACK COMMON SENSE
Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by Nobody: 10:24am On Apr 10, 2016
Fullamafia:
[s]

You cannot outrightly condemn the system in one premise, and advocate for it in another. Just as some regions are politically disadvantaged and still seek equal opportunities, other regions also seek equal opportunities despite their disadvantage in certain areas.[/s]

This guy is cerebrally handicap; most definitely a product of quota system!
Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by Fullamafia: 10:26am On Apr 10, 2016
bjdon:

I really don't understand why you say I am advocating SE representation, when I have ever done that? The simple fact is I have always advocated MERIT above all else. I am not even from the SE

If you are happy with a nation being run by less competent people, simply to satisfy base ethnic demands be my guest, just don't expect anything to change in Nigeria if we don't change how we do things. I leave you with a quote attributed to Einstein

'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and yet expecting different results'

For your information, I'm personally AGAINST quota system because it's not ideal, however if we are to be idealist, then it has to be COMPLETELY removed from our national life.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by Fullamafia: 10:27am On Apr 10, 2016
dearsly:
[s][/s]

YOU LACK COMMON SENSE

naija8080:

This guy is cerebrally handicap; most definitely a product of quota system!

Vicotex:
Quota system Apologist spotted

More blank disappointing posts devoid of substance.

3 Likes

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by Vicotex(m): 10:37am On Apr 10, 2016
Fullamafia:

More blank disappointing posts devoid of substance.
e pain am
Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by calaway: 10:41am On Apr 10, 2016
AngryNigerian:
We preach #merit when it benefit us...

We then go back to #Qouta when #Merit doesn't favor us anymore!!!

#YeyeDeSmellAllOver

The people responsible for the formulation continued upholding and surviving on quota system while strangulating and crippling the society are the Hausa Fulani northerners not igbos Yorubas or other minority tribe... Stop spreading the smear...
Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by Nobody: 10:45am On Apr 10, 2016
There is no part of the country that does not benefit from the quota system. The example the senator cited is that of the Unity Schools. I remember when there was mass retirement of senior police officers some years back because there junior was made the IG, an ACP from one of the regions in the South, was doubly promoted to CP to fill his region slot. There needs to be an amendment not outright abolishment. If the system is abolished, that means we can have a Northern President, Northern Vice President, Northern Senate President, Northern Speaker, etc. Or, an all Northern ministers, or the senator does not know that the clause in the constitution that allows for each state to have a minister is part of the federal character law? I am sure the senator himself won't accept this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by Fullamafia: 10:45am On Apr 10, 2016
calaway:

The people responsible for the formulation continued upholding and surviving on quota system while strangulating and crippling the society are the Hausa Fulani northerners not igbos Yorubas or other minority tribe... Stop spreading the smear...

That is a lie.

It wasn't the northerners that were screaming NORTHOCRACY and crying for equal representation in political offices.

The Ibos are the biggest proponents of quota system in Nigeria. The system is NOT limited to education.

Get that into your skull or keep wailing online.
Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by Achuwa1(m): 10:46am On Apr 10, 2016
Implementing the National confab remains Nigerians best & only option.
all this merit or quota system issue wouldn't have been an issue.
or better still,Nigeria should just break up for gud coz 'one nigeria' is no longer working.
Religious diff,language diff,cultural diff,,.etc are the reasons why we cant live together & its very obvious for all to see
Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by Fullamafia: 10:47am On Apr 10, 2016
bejeiodus:
There is no part of the country that does not benefit from the quota system. The example the senator cited is that of the Unity Schools. I remember when there was mass retirement of senior police officers some years back because there junior was made the IG, an ACP from one of the regions in the South, was doubly promoted to CP to fill his region slot. There needs to be an amendment not outright abolishment. If the system is abolished, that means we can have a Northern President, Northern Vice President, Northern Senate President, Northern Speaker, etc. Or, an all Northern ministers, or the senator does not know that the clause in the constitution that allows for each state to have a minister is part of the federal character law? I am sure the senator himself won't accept this.

Thank you. So many bigoted and myopic dunderheads cannot grasp this.

If the system is to be abolished, it must be completely abolished.

1 Like

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by mightyhazel: 10:50am On Apr 10, 2016
Yep

4 Likes

Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by mars123(m): 11:02am On Apr 10, 2016
back to the matter I used to like this Ben Bruce when I didn't know him. Does he know that he's in that position to take action and not just make worthless noise?
Re: # Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System by calaway: 11:23am On Apr 10, 2016
Fullamafia:

That is a lie.

It wasn't the northerners that were screaming NORTHOCRACY and crying for equal representation in political offices.

The Ibos are the biggest proponents of quota system in Nigeria. The system is NOT limited to education.

Get that into your skull or keep wailing online.
Please can you be specific? I am talking about quota system promulgated and backed by the false constitution, and relied on used and abused by the Hausa Fulani. Even the attempt to force land owners all over the society to give upland for Hausa Fulani to graze their evil cows.
I have never seen igbos depend on government policy for any advantage....STOP FOOLING AND DELUDING YOUR SELF....

If you see nothing wrong with the nepotism of regional appointments in a multi regional society you are part of the many problems plaguing this false nation.

When the ask for biafra now, poverty Thots begin to run riot in you lazy brain.... Alas the sun must shine even on bigots like you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Murtala As Leader Of The July 1966 Mutiny Wanted The North To Seccede / The Sham Called Elections In Edo State / Lagos Governor 2019 Might Be An Igbo Or Hausa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.