Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,424 members, 7,781,237 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:07 AM

VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided (99206 Views)

Very Important Real Estate Topic We Should Know / Architects In The House, Pls What Can I Build On Half Plot Of Land? / VERY IMPORTANT: Why Nigerian Civil Engineers Blame Architects/their Incompetence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by midform(m): 7:43am On Apr 16, 2016
No qualified architect will make this kind of mistakes! We have less than 4000 qualified architects in Nigeria for God sake. Pls direct this thread to quacks, drafters, and other allied professionals in the building industry who think they can do architects' job. Architects know every rules guiding designs and they will never disobey or go against the rules.

8 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by jojoki: 7:43am On Apr 16, 2016
Thumb up OP, your thread is very educative. Have bn on the field 4 like 15 years and I can confirm to you about challenges we face with unrealistic drawing.

2 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by victorazy(m): 7:45am On Apr 16, 2016
oapeleo:

My name is Osarenkhoe Osayanmon and am a Civil Engineer with enough experience in design and building. I have worked as a building consultant for some time now and supervised some projects on my own from start to finish. I want to share my experience and ideas with you guys. I can be reached via 08068280130 anytime.

I end up correcting 70% of any architectural drawing given to me to develop. The reason is because architect drawings are almost always not achievable or realistic.
Yeah they look so beautiful on paper and their 3d awesome.

Stay tuned and pick no offence but learn

Hello sir, am an architect and I disagree on what ur trying to say here.

There is nothing like impossible in my dictionary just that most builders don't reason or see things like we architects (go to Dubai and see what is going on there).

5 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by EngrEltolad(m): 7:47am On Apr 16, 2016
Nice thread those Architects can be annoying at times with their unrealistic building plans.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Johnsegun54(m): 7:47am On Apr 16, 2016
I am Quantity Surveyor in the making, a student of Unilag, residing in lagos, in search for IT placement in any construction / Q.S. firm. Anyone with important information or help can reach me on johnsegun772@gmail.com.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by victorazy(m): 7:47am On Apr 16, 2016
jojoki:
Thumb up OP, your thread is very educative. Have bn on the field 4 like 15 years and I can confirm to you about challenges we face with unrealistic drawing.

There is nothing like unrealistic drawing, the problem is when 2 ppl don't see things in the same way or when 2 ppl with diff vision.

The problem with our builders is that they are too lazy and only care about money.

6 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by gidikay: 7:49am On Apr 16, 2016
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by CASTOSVILLA(m): 7:49am On Apr 16, 2016
Op, as an Architect, I understand everything you wrote up there. But remember, most of the designs we make are greatly influenced by the clients demand. Have you come across a client with a small land (his only inheritance) but he'd love to build a house that would accommodate all his 8 children. Even when you advice him on what is achievable, he'll still beg or rather insist to have it that way (dude, we need his money so we just do the best we can for him). For the site plan, that is where most Architect failed to design properly maybe due to laziness or something. Please forget about what you see on the 3d, not everything is within scale. just focus on the house. Op, saying that some designs are unachievable, it means that you still have a way to go in your profession because nothing is unachievable. The only problem is that the design method might change but the purpose must be achieved. Maybe you can tell and show us one or two that you've seen on designs that you couldn't achieve. Please be more creative in construction and do expand your knowledge because almost all the buildings in Dubai are way beyond the comprehension of our indigenous Architects, builders and structural engineers.

15 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by ba7man(m): 7:50am On Apr 16, 2016
jojoki:
There is nothing like an unrealistic building drawing.

The Structural engineer can simply lacks the knowledge
to effect it or budget is inadequate.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by ba7man(m): 7:52am On Apr 16, 2016
midform:
No qualified architect will make this kind of mistakes! We have less than 4000 qualified architects in Nigeria for God sake. Pls direct this thread to quacks, drafters, and other allied professionals in the building industry who think they can do architects' job. Architects know every rules guiding designs and they will never disobey or go against the rules.
Thank you. That kind of building will never get an approval...... in Lagos sha.....
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by abdulwastecx(m): 7:53am On Apr 16, 2016
Igholize:
Nice article op.... Am a civil engineer by profession. Dere's a day a young lad came 2 nd told me dat, he draws/design building plans, I looked @ him and asked him, wat's ur decipline ? He told me' accounting, dat he has learnt auto-cad.. I laughed nd asked him wat sizes of block is 225mm, he couldn't interprete in inches. I told him dat' he should focus on his decipline. My point is.... In 9ja, anybody now draws building plans. Dat is another factor affectin architecture profession

In ability to interpret the size of block in inches is not a yardstick to determine if he is good or not.
Metric to imperical measurement is confusing even for University trained engineers or architect.

The world is moving fast and information are freely more available, you can learn a lot of things now through video tutorial and a draft man can be very good with conceptualization of building plans etc.

I have worked with lots of architect that can't use grid properly, they don't know that multi storey design depends heavily on grid system you adopt and when you want to do such structural design you run into lot of problem.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by CASTOSVILLA(m): 7:53am On Apr 16, 2016
EngrEltolad:
Nice thread those Architects can be annoying at times with their unrealistic drawing plans.
Oga park one side and Be more creative with your head. I am an Architect but I don't complain like you guys do when I see an unusual design rather a look for other unknown ways to achieve it. THINK!

6 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by ArchNerd(m): 7:59am On Apr 16, 2016
CASTOSVILLA:
Oga park one side and Be more creative with your head. I am an Architect but I don't complain like you guys do when I see an unusual design rather a look for other unknown ways to achieve it. THINK!

ba7man:
There is nothing like an unrealistic building drawing.
The Structural engineer can simply lacks the knowledge
to effect it or budget is inadequate.

CASTOSVILLA:
Infact op, save up money and travel to Dubai. Go and see impossible for yourself! Carry along with you other lazy Structural engineers who have failed to think more creatively.

In fact you guys have said it all no need for me to type the *Paul's epistle to the Corinthians* I intended to type*

I was at Burj Khalifa 124th Floor. Then I wonder what a Nigerian Civil Engineer would say when an architect puts before him a BURJ KHALIFA or BURJ AL-ARAB design.

9ja civil engineer go be like *only God can make this building stand*

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by CASTOSVILLA(m): 7:59am On Apr 16, 2016
oapeleo:

My name is Osarenkhoe Osayanmon and am a Civil Engineer with enough experience in design and building. I have worked as a building consultant for some time now and supervised some projects on my own from start to finish. I want to share my experience and ideas with you guys. I can be reached via 08068280130 anytime.

I end up correcting 70% of any architectural drawing given to me to develop. The reason is because architect drawings are almost always not achievable or realistic.
Yeah they look so beautiful on paper and their 3d awesome.

Stay tuned and pick no offence but learn
Infact op, save up money and travel to Dubai. Go and see impossible for yourself! Carry along with you other lazy Structural engineers who have failed to think more creatively.

4 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by classiclight(m): 8:00am On Apr 16, 2016
nice one OP, some architects will go to the extent of drawing the structural detailings, indirectly telling you that they don't need structural engineer at all, and each time I see that, believe me it use to have plenty errors
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by CASTOSVILLA(m): 8:04am On Apr 16, 2016
jojoki:
Engineer of block work, decking, 12mm rod 16mm pillar, beams, parapet Infact that's all you know. Grow beyond your laziness bro, that is not how to be an engineer.

4 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by CASTOSVILLA(m): 8:07am On Apr 16, 2016
classiclight:
nice one OP, some architects will go to the extent of drawing the structural detailings, indirectly telling you that they don't need structural engineer at all, and each time I see that, believe me it use to have plenty errors
Oga please stop the hate abeg.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by classiclight(m): 8:13am On Apr 16, 2016
CASTOSVILLA:
Oga please stop the hate abeg.
no be how u think am, just saying what have seen, i hate no one and all profession are good to me, am sure you will also complain/comment if someone should do ur work wrongly
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by thewatcher2020: 8:13am On Apr 16, 2016
Funny how Builders cum Engineers are quick to throw Architects under the bus. As a matter of Principle, Every building I designed back in Nigeria, I inform the clients upfront that I NOMINATE the engineer(s) for all my design and construction works. This is simple because so many Engineers out there are so damnnnnn LAZY! Gosh!

I once designed the private residence of a SS governor back in 2009. During construction, his brother- an Engineer came around and started screaming "What kind of rubbish design is this, you people want to kill somebody". I received a call from Lagos that this buffoon has instructed the people on ground to "knack columns and drop beams everywhere" for safety reasons. The Governor wanted a big hall where he could host VIPs regularly within his mansion. I as an Architect, I HATE COLUMNS OBSTRUCTING VIEWS INSIDE LIVING SPACE- its actually my pet peeve. So, I flew in and sent a message to the Client- the Governor that his comic brother should be taken off my site if my competency is still being valued with respect to the project. He called back and I explained everything to him. I went to the site the following day, the man started telling me how he has been practicing Engineering before I ventured into Architectural school and all bullshit.

To cut the story short, the building is still standing very firm today all post-construction stability tests conducted not only certified the building excellent but got recommendations. I shouldn't be teaching Engineers their jobs, we simply used inverted beams in most locations to hide the ugly proposed drop-beams which I believe to be an elementary solution that should be on the fingertips of "mr experience".

The underlying truth here is- Most engineers in Nigeria are comfortable with the default matchbox designs with columns and beams everywhere hence the complaints against Architects for their self-imposed mental deficiency.

PEACE!

27 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by StarOnEarth(m): 8:15am On Apr 16, 2016
Proudly an architect
But that's how two guys collected my plan on Niaraland without paying me angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Emeka71(m): 8:20am On Apr 16, 2016
I'm thinking of buying a land and buying a tent for my residential.

2 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by ademoladeji(m): 8:20am On Apr 16, 2016
oapeleo:
Now tell me how the cars entered this building.
The 3d is beautiful, it shows 2 Cars in the compound.
I don't know the cars drove through the gate and made a perfect turn to the right.

Even if the cars where dropped with helicopter. The driver can not open the door. Because it will be obstructed by the fence.

This is what happens when the site plan isn't properly planned.

Oga, no 'ARCHITECT' will do that except the Draughtsman...

I know Architects to be precise n detailed in their jobs.

As an Engineer, Impossibility is Nothing!!! Problems are to be created by man for man to solve!!!

2 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by tonaolu(m): 8:22am On Apr 16, 2016
victorazy:

Hello sir, am an architect and I disagree on what ur trying to say here.

There is nothing like impossible in my dictionary just that most builders don't reason or see things like we architect (go to Dubai and see what is going on there).

Arc. Vic: 08069237482
Yes sir, i support your saying......they cant reason like we architect, or would he go to dubai and tell them that the THE TOWER OF DUBAI CREEK they are about to build can not work, or wants to go and correct the design....it isnt possible.....as a civil engineer, i guess you are supposed to know how to make the structural stability of the design of the architect possible. Go to dubai and see whats happening.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by screamng: 8:24am On Apr 16, 2016
This social media sef. Now everybody can publish misleading information to the public.
Mr. Engineer, it's easy to tell that you are not a registered engineer or else you would know better than to make such fraudulent claims.
Anyway I don't blame you. The day you start practicing professionally, you will know that it's not in the place of any engr to adjust architectural drawings and vise - versa.
In professional practice, it is a crime. And u claim to know what you are doing. Lol. Jus stick to small residential projects till you know enuff.
Stick to civil engineering work and get registered.
By engr Hassan

4 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by google1(m): 8:24am On Apr 16, 2016
Barselonia:

civil engineer supervise the building tech in carrying out the drawing drawn by the architect.....
civil engineer interpreted both the architectural and structural drawing for the build tech to carry out....

i stand to be corrected ooo

but nowaday no different.... everybody is engineer
wrong.
You are accusing other people, is that work of civil engineer.

Please stop misleading people, you are to provide structural plan and supervise it, builder provides the building production process.

1 Like

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Nobody: 8:25am On Apr 16, 2016

1 Like

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by Abimloaded(m): 8:28am On Apr 16, 2016
I am an Architect in the making, an ND graduate of the Federal Polytechnic,Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State. residing in Akure, in search for IT placement in
any Architectural firm. Anyone with important
information or help can reach me on
Loadedtch@gmail.com.
Thanks.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by EngrEltolad(m): 8:28am On Apr 16, 2016
Why don't just speak for yourself then?
CASTOSVILLA:
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by since1914(m): 8:29am On Apr 16, 2016
midform:

This sums it all up. I think the OP, has probably been dealing with only charlatans, because these are mistakes that a sane Architect will never make.
OP, there is something called zoning ordinances, and it is the basis upon which building plans are approved in any locality, therefore anyone serious about designing, will first and foremost acquaint themselves with all the relevant sections of this document.

Someone also mentioned that clients force them to design in the way OP decribed. I personally find this comment not only annoying but also irresponsible, because, nobody tells his lawyer how to argue in court, or his doctor how to treat, so why should you allow clients make you churn out bad designs. I think every young professional must put in the time, and make the relevant sacrifice to be successful. It should not initially be about money, rather the early stages of a career should be used to build a stellar reputation; in that way, your professional career will have longevity. Don't ever agree to just anything the client says (especially if it is against your better judgement), if he cannot respect your professional opinion let him take his businesses elsewhere, or better still, do it himself.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by abdulwastecx(m): 8:32am On Apr 16, 2016
since1914:

This sums it all up. I think the OP, has probably been dealing with only charlatans, because these are mistakes that a sane Architect will never make.
OP, there is something called zoning ordinances, and it is the basis upon which building plans are approved in any locality, therefore anyone serious about designing, will first and foremost acquaint themselves with all the relevant sections of this document.

Someone also mentioned that clients force them to design in the way OP decribed. I personally find this comment not only annoying but also irresponsible, because, nobody tells his lawyer how to argue in court, or his doctor how to treat, so why should you allow clients make you churn out bad designs. I think every young professional must put in the time, and make the relevant sacrifice to be successful. It should not initially be about money, rather the early stages of a career should be used to build a stellar reputation; in that way, your professional career will have longevity.

A very good wordof advice... Well said sir

2 Likes

Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by victorazy(m): 8:32am On Apr 16, 2016
tonaolu:

Yes sir, i support your saying......they cant reason like we architect, or would he go to dubai and tell them that the THE TOWER OF DUBAI CREEK they are about to build can not work, or wants to go and correct the design....it isnt possible.....as a civil engineer, i guess you are supposed to know how to make the structural stability of the design of the architect possible. Go to dubai and see whats happening.

80% of qualified builders are there just for the money, they are lazy as lizard. They are not ready to reason or contribute, just to get that cash after they will be blaming architect who they think that doesn't know the ethics of building. angry
Re: VERY IMPORTANT: Mistakes Architects Make And Should Be Avoided by troubleshooter: 8:33am On Apr 16, 2016
thewatcher2020:
Funny how Builders cum Engineers are quick to throw Architects under the bus. As a matter of Principle, Every building I designed back in Nigeria, I inform the clients upfront that I NOMINATE the engineer(s) for all my design and construction works. This is simple because so many Engineers out there are so damnnnnn LAZY! Gosh!

I once designed the private residence of a SS governor back in 2009. During construction, his brother- an Engineer came around and started screaming "What kind of rubbish design is this, you people want to kill somebody". I received a call from Lagos that this buffoon has instructed the people on ground to "knack columns and drop beams everywhere" for safety reasons. The Governor wanted a big hall where he could host VIPs regularly within his mansion. I as an Architect, I HATE COLUMNS OBSTRUCTING VIEWS INSIDE LIVING SPACE- its actually my pet peeve. So, I flew in and sent a message to the Client- the Governor that his comic brother should be taken off my site if my competency is still being valued with respect to the project. He called back and I explained everything to him. I went to the site the following day, the man started telling me how he has been practicing Engineering before I ventured into Architectural school and all bullshit.

To cut the story short, the building is still standing very firm today all post-construction stability tests conducted not only certified the building excellent but got recommendations. I shouldn't be teaching Engineers their jobs, we simply used inverted beams in most locations to hide the ugly proposed drop-beams which I believe to be an elementary solution that should be on the fingertips of "mr experience".

The underlying truth here is- Most engineers in Nigeria are comfortable with the default matchbox designs with columns and beams everywhere hence the complaints against Architects for their self-imposed mental deficiency.

PEACE!

May you make Heaven!

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

₦500 Million Lagos House Causes A Stir Online / Apartment For Rent Lagos Nigeria - Flats For Rent Lagos / Akwa Ibom 21 Storey Building Ready (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.