Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,822 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:27 PM

Please Recommend Good 'modern' African Literature - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Please Recommend Good 'modern' African Literature (861 Views)

Nairaland Literature Award 2017 / Why Chinua Achebe Is One Of The World's Most Important Modern Writers / Please, Recommend a good book for a depressed fellow. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Recommend Good 'modern' African Literature by Nobody: 9:21pm On Apr 10, 2016
Can anyone please recommend a good book where the characters and settings are based in Africa, preferably black African, but not the typical historical fiction types like things fall apart, half of a yellow sun etc. Something with a more modern-ish setting.
Re: Please Recommend Good 'modern' African Literature by Tellemall: 9:29pm On Apr 10, 2016
1bkaye:
Can anyone please recommend a good book where the characters and settings are based in Africa, preferably black African, but not the typical historical fiction types like things fall apart, half of a yellow sun etc. Something with a more modern-ish setting.

Ngugi wa Thiongo.

There are so many contemporary African writers you can read. I can tell you that Kenyans and South Africans have the best African literature, particularly Kenyans. There's some really beautiful work from Z.M. People like Glynn Croudace have pretty anthologies, though they aren't completely black or black at all. Go with the name I've supplied. He'll lead you to the rest

May I ask your genre of preference?
Re: Please Recommend Good 'modern' African Literature by Nobody: 9:33pm On Apr 10, 2016
Tellemall:

Ngugi wa Thiongo.

There are so many contemporary African writers you can read. I can tell you that Kenyans and South Africans have the best African literature, particularly Kenyans. There's some really beautiful work from Z.M. People like Glynn Croudace have pretty anthologies, though they aren't completely black or black at all. Go with the name I've supplied. He'll lead you to the rest

May I ask your genre of preference?
Thanks for responding smiley

I'm open to any genre smiley
Re: Please Recommend Good 'modern' African Literature by Tellemall: 9:37pm On Apr 10, 2016
1bkaye:

Thanks for responding smiley

I'm open to any genre smiley

Then try out any name I've given. Ngugi and his father/soon are both writers.

1 Like

Re: Please Recommend Good 'modern' African Literature by Nobody: 6:59pm On Apr 11, 2016
Tellemall:

Then try out any name I've given. Ngugi and his father/soon are both writers.
Thank you smiley
Re: Please Recommend Good 'modern' African Literature by Tellemall: 9:33pm On Apr 11, 2016
1bkaye:

Thank you smiley

You're welcome.
Re: Please Recommend Good 'modern' African Literature by Tellemall: 8:52pm On Apr 21, 2016
1bkaye:

Thank you smiley

Were you able to get any of his books?
Re: Please Recommend Good 'modern' African Literature by Abosi31(m): 7:16pm On Apr 22, 2016
Born on a Tuesday by Elnathan John Tram83 by Fiston Mwanza I just finished those two, and I recommend.

(1) (Reply)

The Woman In The Kitchen, Living Room, And The Other Room / A Word To The Intellectual Property Thieves On The Lit Section / Diaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.