Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,052 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:08 AM

Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now (3702 Views)

Johnson Baby Essentials Box From The Uk (london) For Quick Sale. / 8 Addictions You Must Stop Now / Please Read: Johnson Baby Powder Linked To Cancer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by DrAda(f): 10:29pm On Apr 10, 2016
I don't know if you all aware of this but just 2 months ago, the health giant company Johnson & Johnson was ordered by a USA court to pay millions of dollars as compensation to a poor lady that has been using their baby powder for years and developed ovarian cancer as a result of it.

It turns out that the baby powder contains talc which actually is known to cause ovarian cancer. The company knew about this side effect but was silent on it.

Apparently, other mothers are also suing the company as well for that same reason. I am appealing to all moms to please desist from using not just Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder but any powder that contains talc. Better still, avoid all powders,talc or no talc. The safety of our kids should come first, and other things second.

www.kiddiesmatters.com

Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by Damtha(f): 10:40pm On Apr 10, 2016
Too bad..
Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by greatgod2012(f): 5:08am On Apr 11, 2016
So, we shouldn't use powder on our kids at all. How possible is that? Please, educate us, especially during this heat period, when heat rashes are over their body.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by DrAda(f): 6:28am On Apr 11, 2016
greatgod2012:
So, we shouldn't use powder on our kids at all. How possible is that? Please, educate us, especially during this heat period, when heat rashes are over their body.
Thanks.
You can bath your child frequently or put him on very light clothings, cotton preferably. During the peak of the heat waves, My husband bought a powder for the kids. I had to show him the article indicting the powder company and that sealed it. No more powders. Heat rash is nothing compared to cancers.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by greatgod2012(f): 6:40am On Apr 11, 2016
DrAda:
You can bath your child frequently or put him on very light clothings, cotton preferably. During the peak of the heat waves, My husband bought a powder for the kids. I had to show him the article indicting the powder company and that sealed it. No more powders. Heat rash is nothing compared to cancers.

OK, thanks.
Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by jashar(f): 7:33am On Apr 11, 2016
But talc is the main ingredients in most powders. So, all powders are bad or what?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by DrAda(f): 7:47am On Apr 11, 2016
jashar:
But talc is the main ingredients in most powders. So, all powders are bad or what?
Not all powders contain talc.
Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by duduade: 7:51am On Apr 11, 2016
Dusting powder nko... That even our great grand parents have been using nko....

1 Like

Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by abdulaz: 9:54am On Apr 11, 2016
It will be very difficult to convince our Nigerian mothers to stop using powders that contain talc as virtually all powders I have seen contain talc as one of the active components. It is like telling them to stop using maggi cubes to prepare their meals even though we all know they contain chemically synthesised components that might no be healthy invivo in the long run.
Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by DrAda(f): 1:53pm On Apr 11, 2016
abdulaz:
It will be very difficult to convince our Nigerian mothers to stop using powders that contain talc as virtually all powders I have seen contain talc as one of the active components. It is like telling them to stop using maggi cubes to prepare their meals even though we all know they contain chemically synthesised components that might no be healthy invivo in the long run.
I really don't see the difficulty in it. But then again, I belong to a field where any discovery that would adversely affect health is regarded with the utmost concern. It is quite simple, talc powders are dangerous confirmed, verified and now punishable. End of story.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by Popsicle: 6:00pm On Apr 11, 2016
OP- I stand to be corrected but what i read concerning this story is that the woman in question used the powder on her panties before wearing it for many many years , (as a teenager till when she advanced more in age) which i believe was an old school method of naintaining freshness (i believe most people did it cos i first saw that in boarding school though most girls rubbed powder on their laps which they said was to prevent stickiness from sweat). That alone is enough reason to have ovarian cancer cos there is immediate direct contact with the private region of the female body.

I dont believe that using dusting powder for heat rash or on other less sensitive parts of our bodies can cause cancer. .

I STAND TO BE CORRECTED IF I AM WRONG!!! CHEERS

3 Likes

Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by blank(f): 5:09am On Apr 12, 2016
Popsicle:
OP- I stand to be corrected but what i read concerning this story is that the woman in question used the powder on her panties before wearing it for many many years , (as a teenager till when she advanced more in age) which i believe was an old school method of naintaining freshness (i believe most people did it cos i first saw that in boarding school though most girls rubbed powder on their laps which they said was to prevent stickiness from sweat). That alone is enough reason to have ovarian cancer cos there is immediate direct contact with the private region of the female body.

I dont believe that using dusting powder for heat rash or on other less sensitive parts of our bodies can cause cancer. .

Exactly what I was about to post. The only addition info is that you should not allow children to inhale the powder as it can cause breathing difficulties.
Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by DrAda(f): 9:54am On Apr 12, 2016
Popsicle:

No you are not wrong but I know that most moms use powders on the genital area to prevent diaper rashes in their babies. Like someone rightly pointed out, it also causes breathing problems. Today, I learnt that Paediatrician in USA advice parents to avoid all powders during infancy. Powders are dangerous and caution should be applied.

1 Like

Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by blank(f): 12:29pm On Apr 12, 2016
DrAda:
No you are not wrong but I know that most moms use powders on the genital area to prevent diaper rashes in their babies. Like someone rightly pointed out, it also causes breathing problems. Today, I learnt that Paediatrician in USA advice parents to avoid all powders during infancy. Powders are dangerous and caution should be applied.

Nice one. What i do is to use vaseline as the barrier and change them often. Can't remember the last time i used powder on them. As for heat rash, i use a balm that soothes the heat rash and clears it up in no time.
Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by dsgirl: 1:55pm On Apr 12, 2016
I never used baby powder on my child. I use diaper rash cream all the time on her diaper area and when she had rashes on her bom I simply apply more cream and changed her more often and by the next day it clears out. Heard powders ain't good for your baby long time before I had one.
Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by SlowlybtSurely: 5:00pm On Apr 12, 2016
blank:

Nice one. What i do is to use vaseline as the barrier and change them often. Can't remember the last time i used powder on them. As for heat rash, i use a balm that soothes the heat rash and clears it up in no time.

What is the name of the balm please?
Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by blank(f): 7:53am On Apr 13, 2016
SlowlybtSurely:

What is the name of the balm please?

I use Lucas Papaw ointment. I had to try different ones before I used this one and it was good on their skin. Another one I use sometimes is Salveation intensive healing by mama.

Try different ones till you get the one that works well with their skin.
Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by Onegai(f): 8:00am On Apr 13, 2016
blank:

I use Lucas Papaw ointment. I had to try different ones before I used this one and it was good on their skin. Another one I use sometimes is Salvation intensive healing by mama.

Try different ones till you get the one that works well with their skin.

Where did you get Lucas Pawpaw ointment in Nigeria from please? It's only sold online in most parts of the U.S. even.

Slowlybtsurely, try a mix of beeswax, olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter with a few drops of essential Lavender oil (you can add calendula and tamanu oils if you wanna splurge). Or check out this organic company in Nigeria, Sahara Sunrise (she makes a baby balm) or try The Honest Company Healing ointment in the U.S. HTH
Re: Do You Use Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder? This Is The Reason To Stop Now by blank(f): 4:43pm On Apr 13, 2016
Onegai:

Where did you get Lucas Pawpaw ointment in Nigeria from please? It's only sold online in most parts of the U.S. even.

Slowlybtsurely, try a mix of beeswax, olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter with a few drops of essential Lavender oil (you can add calendula and tamanu oils if you wanna splurge). Or check out this organic company in Nigeria, Sahara Sunrise (she makes a baby balm) or try The Honest Company Healing ointment in the U.S. HTH

You are right. The first bottle I got was from the US. I have only seen it once and that was in a shop in Ikota shopping complex. I use it sparingly so it lasts quite a bit.

(1) (Reply)

Female Bankers Fight Dirty Over Rich Businessman In Lagos(PHOTOS) / Not Ambitious, Wants Bride Price Paid Before I Travel; Am I Selfish To End It ? / My Father's wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.