Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,106 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless (39008 Views)

Saidi Balogun & Fathia Williams Reunite For Khalid Balogun, Son’s Graduation / Etta Ng Chok Lam And Andi Autum, Lesbian Lovers Homeless / "Mercy Aigbe Has Mental Problem; I Caught Her Severally With Men" - Larry Gentry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by daniblinx(m): 6:50am On Apr 11, 2016
I can’t blame anybody for my homelessness — Lari Williams, MFR

The multiple award-winning septuagenarian, Chief Lari Williams, MFR, who has lectured in three Nigerian universities, namely University of Lagos, Lagos State University and University of Calabar, is going blind. OLU AKINLABI spoke with him and he bore his mind on his winnings on Who Deserves To Be A Millionaire?, his current state of homelessness and other problems. Excerpts.

You won N1 million on Who Deserves To Be A Millionaire? How do you feel?

I am grateful to God. I feel great. I’m happy. God is good, you people are good. The people that were with me in the hot seat are good as well. Though we couldn’t go beyond one million naira, but believe me, this MTN show has given me a new lease of life. It’s been a big relief. One has come a long way, you know.

Tell us everything you do and how your professional career began.

I’m an actor, a poet, a lecturer and a playwright. I studied journalism at the London School of Journalism, Park Lane. I proceeded to Morley College to study English where I developed an interest in drama. I then went to study drama at Mountview Theatre School, London. In order to become a professional actor, I went to Strat ford E15 Acting School, also in England. I set up a group named Calabash Artists in England. My academic career was wrapped up at University of Iowa, Iowa State, USA. I produced my first full length play, Colanut Junction, in 1971. I employed the likes of Olu Jacobs, Taiwo Ajayi-Lycet, Dele Jegede to work on the play. We also did a production at the London Commonwealth Hall. I consider that as one of my biggest achievements.

That’s quite impressive, sir. Why did you come back home?

I came back to Nigeria in 1977 after I got an invitation from the FESTAC ’77 committee as a musical poet. I decided to remain in Nigeria after FESTAC with my family, and I also started teaching arts at the National Theatre. I also got roles in soaps like Village Headmaster, Ripples, Mirror In The Sun, and others.

How are you faring now?

Things have been difficult because even though we were pioneers of this industry, most of the acting roles did not pay enough. We were just doing arts for art’s sake. I also practice as a journalist and I have had a column in Vanguard called Stage & Screens for over 28 years. I have no option, in spite of health challenges. I need to do so to keep body and soul together.

You mean you still write?

Ah, I do. Even, I still train young people who are passionate about theatre arts. I write plays as well. I am presently trying to put my play on even though I can’t afford the cost. I have not folded my hands. I have been busy with projects but it has been difficult because as you know, there is no pension for people in my profession.

In essence, Chief, do you mean all these efforts bear little rewards?

Rewards, you said? I am presently homeless and I do not want to blame anybody for not helping out. As the first president of Actors Guild of Nigeria, I am sure my colleagues must have heard about my condition, coupled with cataract, my eye problem. I cannot see very well again, but help cannot be forced out of anybody.

Apart from being a former president of the actors guild, what other honours do you have?

Honours and awards? Honestly, I’ve lost count. And I mean it. I’ve received a lot of them for which I am proud. In recognition of my selfless service to the nation, I became a recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award endorsed by a former president, and most importantly, I am a Member of the Order of the Federal Republic, MFR.

When were you given the award?

What do you think would have made government to come up with an award for the person of Chief Lari Williams? How would I have known?

I was only contributing in my little way, but all the same, I thank God and the good people of Nigeria. It’s still part of them all that brought about my invitation to this programme, Who Deserves To Be A Millionaire? Am I the only worthy person out there? I pray God would continue to show love to them, grant them peace, make the company grow and bless them forever. They have made mesee how good Nigerians and some corporate bodies can be. Well, this is an experience to me at my age! God will bless the organizer. I’m full of gratitude to MTN and the show’s producers.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/i-cant-blame-anybody-for-my-homelessness-lari-williams-mfr/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by seunlayi(m): 6:52am On Apr 11, 2016
Such is life

3 Likes

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by Nobody: 6:56am On Apr 11, 2016
r u kidding me??

3 Likes

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by AlienStar: 7:07am On Apr 11, 2016
Eeiyaa!
Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by Smellymouth: 7:25am On Apr 11, 2016
Chai

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by waistaa(f): 8:30am On Apr 11, 2016
Before yhu want to start counting your millions,think of how to manage for unforeseen contingencies.... Fame & Management

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by DOUBLEWAHALA: 9:26am On Apr 11, 2016
GEJ once said "l had no shoes"
But dat is not what he meant

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by adorablepepple(f): 10:23am On Apr 11, 2016
Hnmmmmm, the challenges this celebrities go through is enormous. They can hardly complain Cause everyone thinks all is well with them.it's when they die we get to know they were suffering and they had nothing.
Upcoming celebrity learn to save for the rainy days,so that you will shine when all is not rosy

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by amiibaby(f): 10:34am On Apr 11, 2016
OK
Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by TrollTrap: 10:35am On Apr 11, 2016
I'm broke
Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by victorazy(m): 10:35am On Apr 11, 2016
Wetin u do with ur moni sire

The same message goes to Flavor and rest, stop showing 6 packs and invest

Irresponsibility!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by NwaNimo1(m): 10:36am On Apr 11, 2016
Irresponsibility....no sympathy from me.

2 Likes

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by pautex: 10:36am On Apr 11, 2016
5th conded

2 Likes

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by DONSMITH123(m): 10:36am On Apr 11, 2016
ah! speechless.
Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by vaca1: 10:36am On Apr 11, 2016
that is too harsh mehn
Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by Mcowubaba: 10:37am On Apr 11, 2016
Hmmmm
I'm sincerely tired of all this I am homeless, I am sick by our dear celebrities ... Call me me insensitive or mean.....

Millions of Nigerians are also hungry, homeless, sick.....
Try and make the best out of your opportunities in life.....
Oga u won 1 million naira, how many Nigerians have come across that amount of money in their life
U even have a National honour, u went to school abroad, don't u have Children nd relatives.... U actually worked both as a lecturer and an actor... Haba..... sad

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by 5starmilitant: 10:37am On Apr 11, 2016
Wizkid and co Shey una dey hear? Please use your money wisely o.
Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by MadCow1: 10:38am On Apr 11, 2016
Why is he homeless? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by Ada9103(f): 10:39am On Apr 11, 2016
Choi
Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by Bisjosh(f): 10:40am On Apr 11, 2016
Smellymouth:
Chai

Only God knows where u get all these pics from? grin

1 Like

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by Nobody: 10:41am On Apr 11, 2016
Chai

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by Brugo(m): 10:41am On Apr 11, 2016
NwaNimo1:
Irresponsibility....no sympathy from me.

What an irresponsible comment! Tell me, what village do you come from?

Your sympathy is worthless...well you very well know that.

3 Likes

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by chimaobinelson(m): 10:42am On Apr 11, 2016
even wit the MTN N1000000?

1 Like

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by solid3(m): 10:42am On Apr 11, 2016
Being an actor or actress is not a good profession. You can not become a boss. U will still be directed by young men and women while being paid survival money as contract fee.

1 Like

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by Wendyslim(f): 10:43am On Apr 11, 2016
Eyyaaaaa. Am happy for you
Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by chimaobinelson(m): 10:43am On Apr 11, 2016
even wit the MTN N1000000?
Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by fammo: 10:44am On Apr 11, 2016
Invest And secure your future so that when you are old you will still be able to give to people rather than wait to be assisted!
#LessonLearnt

2 Likes

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by Nobody: 10:44am On Apr 11, 2016
Wizekid and co come and see
Now money is flowing better invest, buy houses or empty plots in good location rather than renting expensive building and buying useless ferrari and porch whose value in the next 30years when you will be 50yrs old wont be equal with ordinary keke napep

1 Like

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by RedCapChief(m): 10:45am On Apr 11, 2016
How is such a man like this homeless?
After lecturing at the highest level, receiving National Honours and getting to the apex of his career.

Why does he not have a roof over his head?

7 Likes

Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by fammo: 10:46am On Apr 11, 2016
Appland:
Nn
Space booker sighted grin
Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by legenddimex(m): 10:48am On Apr 11, 2016
Hmm. Only God can help u, cuz every human being also need help
Re: Larry Williams: I Am Currently Homeless by cecegorz(m): 10:48am On Apr 11, 2016
They say follow your passion...

I ain't ready to follow any passion that will not guarantee me financial independence at old age.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Daddy Freeze: Linda Ikeji Has Done More For Christ Than Adeboye, Oyedepo / Jaywon Lifting Banky W Falling Campaign Billboards / Gifty Powers Married For The Second Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.