Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:23 AM

We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? (11110 Views)

Frustrated With My Career What Should I Do / Fustrated With My Career What Should I Do / Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by darlenese(f): 9:08am On Apr 12, 2016
I heard some people chose to be gynaecologist becos they enjoy looking at female bodies !
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by AdeniyiA(m): 9:27am On Apr 12, 2016
maputohq:
i was crushing on one lady. i decided to join the class she was. funny enough, she had a crush on me too but i was too inexperience to make any move. right under my nose, another guy had her.
i would say she was god-sent because i love my chosen field to death.
crushing inspired field cheesy
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Nobody: 9:32am On Apr 12, 2016
Bad grades in uni influenced my career choice. grin

So i pursued something i wanted finally.

Most times admission into uni leaves u with no choice than to study what you have no flair for.

But bliv me, ur bsc degree is just a starting point. You can always be what you want to be.

#ProudSystemEngineer
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Emilord(m): 9:52am On Apr 12, 2016
Mine was a case of strong passion for legal profession. sometimes when I tell my story people don't believe. I wrote jamb four times before I finally gained admission to study my LLB programme...and out of the four jamb I wrote, I was offered admission on all,first was mass communication at ANSU which I considered incongruous to me. second was English in UNN,third was English again in OAU in 2011. But now,i make bold to stress that I am maximally enjoying my dream course currently(AAU), in penultimate class. Above all,its destiny whether it's your dream course or not.

1 Like

Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Chilug(m): 9:58am On Apr 12, 2016
Just wanted to be a chartered accountant. Like been addressed as an ACA was a big motivation. Don't know where that dream went to
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by natinhoo(m): 10:21am On Apr 12, 2016
Don't really know cos I have three careers running concurrently
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Odunharry(m): 10:23am On Apr 12, 2016
Jarus:
I will say Dr. Femi Adekanye, former President of CIBN and CEO of defunct Commerce Bank

As an under-10 kid in the late 80s to early 90s, I related with his extended family back home in Kwara. His family house was a stone-throw from ours. Anytime he visited home from Lagos, the whole neighbourhood stood still as everyone came out to watch his convoy of cars, usually Daewoo Racer and Daewoo Espero. I heard he was a banker.

Later, I read about him in the papers as Bank CEO. I vowed to be a banker like him.

When I wanted to write my UME in 2000, I chose Finance in Unilag, but my brother, a more experienced person, advised that I choose Economics in OAU(because he felt Economics is broader than Finance and OAU is easier to get admission into that Unilag).

I went back to my UME form, cleaned the course/school with Tipex and chose Economics/OAU.

I knew I can still become a banker with economics degree. But in 200L in Ife, due majorly to MSSN influence, I perished the ambition to become a banker and switched to oil and gas as my aim. I was fortunate to get an oil and gas job immediately after NYSC, and I have been there all my post-NYSC career, but as an accountant, not an economist.

I became an accountant by accident. I decided to write ICAN exams during my NYSC to keep myself busy. ICAN got me an accounting job post-NYSC and I have been accountant since.

Who influenced my choice?

1, Dr Femi Adekanye
2, My brother
3, MSSN OAU
4, Accident

PS: For full story of Dr Adekanye's influence on me, google my 2012 tribute to him, "Femi Adekanye: There Goeth a Mentor"
This is really nice
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Abuklaw(m): 11:09am On Apr 12, 2016
I will aptly say I am not a career person but someone who want to be versatile in every sphere. Yesterday, I dreamt of being a psychologist. Today, I want to be a successful businessman. tomorrow, I have a vision where I see myself being addressed Prof. A.B Lawal (academia). I haven't been influence by any other than my unquenchable desire to be a better me.

2 Likes

Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Donovela(m): 11:15am On Apr 12, 2016
anochuko01:
Mine is passion... I love doing things with my hands, and I love seeing stuffs move. I just fall in love with anything technology! Hence, mechanical(manufacturing) and mechatronics engineering! cool
Same here bro
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Adesolomon2014(m): 12:24pm On Apr 12, 2016
Wanted to become an engineer but my dad told me to be a commercial student due to my unseriousness in seconsary school back then.
Later when i wanted to write my SSCE, i had a lesson teacher who teaches me maths, english and economics.
He gave me the zeal and the love i have for Economics till i went for jamb lesson where i met a friend who was a guru in Eco(theory & graphs), he spurred my love for Eco.
Currently am an Economics grad with an eye for the oil & gas plus financial sector.
Will be rounding up NYSC this thursday, wish to get my type of job almost immediately...
Nothing is beyond God.
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by mrdino(m): 12:52pm On Apr 12, 2016
1. My desire to see how things work, especially machines and in Information Technology.
2. My love for creativity.
3. I love seeking better ways to solve a problem even when there is a generally accepted approach to solving that particular problem.
4. My love for Artificial Intelligence.
5. I also love the application of mathematics in solving real life problems.

Though, I studied Theoretical Physics but am proud to be an automation engineer.
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Kazrem(m): 1:57pm On Apr 12, 2016
SaiBuharii:
My dad asked me "Have you ever seen a poor professional Accountant?" Then he rolled out names of his friends I knew that were Accountants, and compared them with his Lawyer, Medical, friends.

I don't regret the decision today. We will get there Isha Allah.

And there are jobs available for smart people.
Are you an accountant bro?
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by omartins(m): 2:06pm On Apr 12, 2016
Greycious:
What's the course please?
Office Technology and Management.
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Kazrem(m): 2:09pm On Apr 12, 2016
Mr Adebayo of Economics Department, MOCPED.
If Mr Adebayo teaches you a course and you don't understand, you should either go back to your village and appease your ancestors or kuku leave the school. He was and still my best lecturer. His in depth knowledge, teaching skills and human relation inspired my wish to be a university lecturer.

Mr Hakeem Babalola lectures at a seminar I attended influences my decision to also a Chartered Stockbroker (He also lectures). Meanwhile, I had had the love of being a stock broker when we had a visit to Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE) 2008 from school.

Who influenced my career:
Mr Adebayo
Mr Hakeem Babalola
Visit to NSE.
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Apr 12, 2016
I always wanted to be a medical doctor since when i was young,. In ss1 i started in sciences but due to unseriousness and peer influence , i changed to art and wrote waec in arts... I failed.. Den i changed to commercial.. Studied it for like a year and wrote waec again, this time i passed, but my passion for medicine was still very much alive.. I wanted to sacrifice another year to write waec for medicine. But time was against me, I eventually wrote post Utme for economics, didn't reach the cutoff and i had to waste another year to write jamb and post jamb again... I picked economics for the second time and I was scared that they wouldn't pick me.... So i opted for a change of course form and read about all the courses i could do with my subject combination... Voila.. I saw psychology and i finally opted for psychology.... Gained admission.. And currently I'm in 300l, hoping to further my studies in neuropsych after i graduate .. Although i still have undying passion for medicine. But there's this proverb which says of you don't do what you like, like what you do..... I hope this serves as a lesson to the upcoming generation... Never let anything or anyone influence your decision to choose your career..
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Apr 12, 2016
rIaYoll:
My parents influenced my career,though i am still going to drop the course....i am just in year 1 and i am sixteen

What course is it dear, and what course do you want to change into?
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Jamzig1(m): 2:57pm On Apr 12, 2016
mrdino:
1. My desire to see how things work, especially machines and in Information Technology.
2. My love for creativity.
3. I love seeking better ways to solve a problem even when there is a generally accepted approach to solving that particular problem.
4. My love for Artificial Intelligence.
5. I also love the application of mathematics in solving real life problems.

Though, I studied Theoretical Physics but am proud to be an automation engineer.
Nice one sir.
I fall into numbers 1,2, 3 and 4.
Fate led me to studying the course I am studying (Physics). "I was dashed" like some people would say. I like physics but my passion lies in building things to solve human problems. I am more interested in robotics /automation. I would like to hear more about how you made it to being an automation engineer. Thanks
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Graccccccccy(f): 3:29pm On Apr 12, 2016
Jamb. I wanted to study medicine unfortunately my jamb score was low and I opted for Microbiology. I'm loving it. #Microbiologists just like normal people, only much smarter#.
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Greycious(m): 3:29pm On Apr 12, 2016
omartins:

Office Technology and Management.
That's nice
I have a B.Tech. Degree in Project management technology
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by busterr(m): 3:33pm On Apr 12, 2016
SlimBrawnie:
I wanted to be a Banker or an Economist (from childhood) though I was very good in my English & Literature.
First Jamb was Economics, was denied admission, but at a point, I felt that wasn't my calling(Especially as Maths and figures{except money} do give me headaches). Second Jamb Mass Comm. Even though I wasn't so keen about it(was more of an introvert owing to my background but I just wanted a course I could really pass easily)...

While on campus for the post utme, I made couple of friends and most of them thought I applied for Law. I said no...God forbid o... Its a very hard course...Lawyers are into occultism....they are liars... Its for the hard heartened. I equated law with medicine and left for me, I just wanted to get admission, finish school in 4 years and start making good money.

Then one guy made a statement that changed the course of my destiny. "Do you think those guys in the faculty of law are more intelligent than you are?, they are not........". Now this was quite motivating.

I did my research, made friends with Law students(some were below average sha) got some books, and discovered Law was my true calling. I'm happy I listened to that guy though... I find this joy doing a course that involves what I love to do on daily basis.

you tried mass comm cos you think its easy to study? you're just ignorant
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Greycious(m): 3:37pm On Apr 12, 2016
Chilug:
Just wanted to be a chartered accountant. Like been addressed as an ACA was a big motivation. Don't know where that dream went to
U mean u never became chartered?
What diverted ur attention from writing the ican exams?
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by megabeatsonline: 4:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
I want to thank everybody who has participated in this forum sharing his or her experiences leading to his or her career choice. My name is Koyejo Sowunmi and I created This thread a while ago. I too want to share the experience that influenced my career choice.

(1) state of the economy: Nigeria's economy is currently not the way it used to be. No new infrastructures are being put in place. Industrial revolution in Nigeria has slowed down with a lot of industries that folded up over the years. The oil sector is currently in turmoil and it is saturated. Telecommunications was a revolution when it came but now employment is saturated as well. Our health sector is weakening now with a lot of people dying from diseases that are preventable.

(2) Professional qualifications: Professionals are certified in what they do. Regulating bodies with legally qualified registered members tend to make the profession relevant.

(3) Relevance: One's chosen profession should be relevant. Currently only relevant professionals find it easy in Nigeria. Relevance gives you an edge in the local and international labour market and it dictates to a large extent how much you'll have to struggle.
God: Sincerely Its only God that can crown ones efforts with success.

(4) Planning: some parents just leave their kids to choose career paths for themselves. 95% of all children left to pick careers on their own are going to get it wrong from the start. Frustration sets in. It becomes a problem. My dad took it upon him to research every course he could in the medical commercial and arts categories, giving relevant information to base my choice. (As early as Ss1 so that I can identify my strengths and weaknesses to know the level of work I need to put in to get to where I want to be.)

Nigeria has reached a level that we need to look before we leap in the area of career choice so as not to get STRANDED
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by PrettyClare7(f): 8:28pm On Apr 12, 2016
I have no head for figures, I quietly left science class to the disappointment of teachers. I decided to study law because I love reading. I love order as well
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by nabiz(m): 8:51pm On Apr 12, 2016
Me na jamb choose for me o. Lol
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Olagoksen: 1:11am On Apr 13, 2016
I wanted to study Medical Laboratory sciences then because I have much passion for it,but unfornatunately,I was unable to gain admission into MLS,glory be to God,I am in my final year studying Computer Engineering,I know with God on our side,we shall all fulfill purpose as the Lord liveth.
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by calculator123(m): 11:44am On Apr 13, 2016
growing up,i wanted to be a pilot due to financial constrait,i change to become an engineer .i was confused which part to venture until somehow somehow,i stuck mechanical engineering .
wrote jamb didnt make the cutoff,then a prophecy came i wasnt meant to be an engineer rather a mathematician.that was how i ended up to study mathematics combined with statistics.i love the course die.although i might still go back to school to just get a degree in mech eng just to fulfill my dreams.
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by MrDeee1: 12:17pm On Apr 13, 2016
What actually influenced my career choice was that my preferred course was changed by my school and I've come to love the new course that I was given... With the kind mindset I've got, I know I'm going to make it big... The urge to be successful has kept me going... Like my uncle said to me, 'show the world that you actually can become a med doc. if only u had the chance... In all, it's all about passion, you can develop a passion for that which you never had interest in
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by superstr: 12:28pm On Apr 13, 2016
Make sure you read this: 38 Career Tips You Must Know If You Want to Be Successful in Life to improve your career

http://www.careerlinko.com/2016/04/11/38-career-tips-you-must-know-if-you-want-to-be-successful-in-life/
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by flightz(f): 2:38pm On Apr 13, 2016
psammy1122:
Visited the hospital for eye treatment(surgery) when i was 9 years old and thereafter always wanted to be a doctor grin
Unilorin refused me medicine and i ended up studying physiology,worked as medical sales rep a while after NYSC and later ended up in the coldest part of the world where i did a masters in health business management and have been managing health care sector for my current city Council for 5 plus years. Very happy with life. smiley
your family is cool

1 Like

Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by ElPhoche(m): 6:00pm On Apr 13, 2016
samyomz:
I always wanted to be a medical doctor since when i was young,. In ss1 i started in sciences but due to unseriousness and peer influence , i changed to art and wrote waec in arts... I failed.. Den i changed to commercial.. Studied it for like a year and wrote waec again, this time i passed, but my passion for medicine was still very much alive.. I wanted to sacrifice another year to write waec for medicine. But time was against me, I eventually wrote post Utme for economics, didn't reach the cutoff and i had to waste another year to write jamb and post jamb again... I picked economics for the second time and I was scared that they wouldn't pick me.... So i opted for a change of course form and read about all the courses i could do with my subject combination... Voila.. I saw psychology and i finally opted for psychology.... Gained admission.. And currently I'm in 300l, hoping to further my studies in neuropsych after i graduate .. Although i still have undying passion for medicine. But there's this proverb which says of you don't do what you like, like what you do..... I hope this serves as a lesson to the upcoming generation... Never let anything or anyone influence your decision to choose your career..
If you so much love medicine, you can study hard and switch departments. I left secondary school 2005, went to maritime academy, did a national diploma in SLT in a polytechnic before I studied medicine. Today, I am a doctor. I don't want to live a life filled with regrets. It took me time, yes, but I have entered the field of my choice.

1 Like

Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Apr 13, 2016
predatorX:
Was 4years old, in the mid '80s. my mom always warned me about playing with/poking metallic objects into the electrical sockets of the house until I got the ZAP of my life. Ever since then I wanted to understand the mystery behind electricity and how to defeat it.
Now I'm a practising Electrical engineer with great respect for the awesome power of electricity
No, respect to Nikola Tesla
Re: We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? by Lordbinsmar: 12:52am On Apr 14, 2016
Inventors and innovators eg,Karl Benz,Rodulf diesel,James watt,especially my mentor Nicholas tesla....currently studying mechanical engineering hoping one day i would be able to patent my inventions.in the field of machine design and thermofluid.but the Nigerian educational system does not my favour my dream.but i know one day i will get there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can Anybody Give Us Info On Institute Of Chatered Secretaries And Administraton / How To Use LinkedIn Groups To Get A Job / How Can One Sell Him/herself In Career World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.