Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,713 members, 7,805,939 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:48 AM

Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father (49329 Views)

Army Confirms The Rescue Of Rakiya Abubakar, Chibok Schoolgirl / ‘suicide Bomber’ Held In Cameroon Not Missing Chibok Schoolgirl — Parents / Arrested Bomber May Not Be Chibok Schoolgirl - FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by olokeded: 4:02pm On Apr 11, 2016
LAGOS (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - When Dauda Yama retrieved his mobile phone from a neighbour's house in January this year, he noticed a missed call from his daughter Saratu who had been missing for almost two years.

The last time he spoke with Saratu was on April 14, 2014, when she rang to say men from the Islamist group Boko Haram had loaded her and her classmates from the Government Girls' Secondary School in Chibok in northeast Nigeria onto trucks.

Attempts to reach her again failed and two years on, 219 girls abducted that night remain missing, despite a global campaign #bringbackourgirls involving celebrities and U.S. first lady Michelle Obama calling for them to be found.

The students are among an estimated 2,000 girls and boys abducted by the Boko Haram since the start of 2014, with many of those abducted used as sex slaves, fighters and even suicide bombers, according to an Amnesty International report.

But when Yama returned the missed call that evening, a man answered. Yama hung up and rushed to the home of Yakubu Nkeki, chairman of the Association of Parents of the Abducted Girls from Chibok.

"He asked me what he should do," Nkeki, 58, a schoolteacher, whose 17-year-old adopted daughter Maimuna Yakubu Usman is among those missing, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

Nkeki took the phone and redialled the number that was again answered by a man who said the phone belonged to his wife.

Reporting the matter to any of the armed personnel around Chibok was out of the question so instead they informed a campaigner with the Bring Back Our Girls group, which advocates the return of the missing girls "now and alive".

"We don't know who to trust," said Nkeki who has received physical threats for his efforts to keep the abduction of the Chibok girls in the headlines and the government's sights with the abduction becoming a political issue for Nigerian leaders.

TOOK THE LEAD

Providing counsel to parents of the missing Chibok girls is part of Nkeki's role as chairman of the association. He also checks up on the parents to see if they need help at all.

"I check if they have food items or if someone is seriously sick," he said. "If there is any issue, I call the committee members."

Some months ago, for example, the association received a donation of 128 bags of corn from a missionary group. The association decided to give three bags to one parent to sell and raise money for medicine for his son who was bitten by a snake.

Nkeki said he had not intended to become a leader for the parents but was catapulted into the role when he tried to rally families into action after the abduction.

Under his lead, and frustrated by a lack of official action, the parents formed a team to search the Sambisa forest for missing girls the day after the abduction, finding scarves and other items along a trail until heavy rain forced them back.

Nkeki then organised a meeting of parents in his village of Mbalala, calling for a peaceful demonstration and seeking media coverage to get the word out, with his initiatives prompting the parents to appoint him as their leader.

It was Nkeki's efforts that ascertained exactly how many girls were missing after the school said the Boko Haram had razed all records. He cycled from village to village for two weeks with pen and paper to build a register.

"I got the names of the girls, their pictures. I asked for proof. They showed me their daughters' books so that I could get the exact name the girl used in the secondary school," he said.

His census revealed the number of girls abducted was 276 but 57 were able to escape as the trucks took off and came home.

NOT WELCOME

But the attempts to rally parents were not always welcome.

Nkeki said some parents refused to have anything to do with the parents association and he has been harassed and arrested by armed forces personnel, displeased with his media appearances and efforts to keep the missing Chibok girls in the news.

Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan was criticised for his slow reaction to the Chibok kidnappings, which was seen by some as indicative of his response to Boko Haram, which at its strongest held large swathes of northeastern Nigeria.

President Muhammadu Buhari, who defeated Jonathan in an election last year, ordered a new investigation into the abductions in January.

1 of 1Full Size
"My family is afraid for me. Even my uncle's wife whose daughter was abducted, the one I adopted, said to me that she does not want to lose her daughter and then also lose me," said Nkeki.

But despite Nkeki's efforts, his daughter and the other girls are still missing, with the parents desperate for any leads that could help locate their daughters.

Hopes were raised earlier this month when a suspected female suicide bomber who claimed to be one of the missing Chibok girls was arrested in northern Cameroon.

But official investigations revealed the 12-year-old girl was not from Chibok but abducted from Bama in northeastern Nigeria by Boko Haram a year ago.

Nkeki and Yama dialled Saratu's number a few more times after the initial success but the line repeatedly went dead. However, Nkeki says it rang when Yama tried again in February.

"The man warned him never to call his wife's number again. He said if he is not careful, he will lose his life," he said.

http://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFKCN0X80JN

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by tociano009(m): 4:29pm On Apr 11, 2016
grin
Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by herkzprince(m): 4:40pm On Apr 11, 2016
Since when?
Might be a set up

I hope for the best sha
May God bring her back home ..same with the rest of them

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by hemartins(m): 5:42pm On Apr 11, 2016
The joy of hearing your lost child's voice after two years
But too bad, the old man missed the damn call.
He probably went to charge it in is neighbor's house because there was no light.

He would have been so happy but all his mind is filled with now is curiosity.

If only the active number can be traced and the exact location detected.

May God bring her home.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by sukkot: 5:42pm On Apr 11, 2016
the chibok hoax

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by Nobody: 5:42pm On Apr 11, 2016
Plausible Answer : - The phone number has been reproduced and re-allocated to someone else who bought the sim card. A simple check with the Telecommunication company can confirm this.

The only baffling thing is how or why the new user called the number of the father of the old user. undecided

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by Nobody: 5:42pm On Apr 11, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Which kin lie be this one na?

22 Likes

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by Integrityfarms(m): 5:42pm On Apr 11, 2016
Too terse to infer

1 Like

Okay

Chibok abduction is a scam to oust Jonathan - thugnor leaking brain fayoshe and his dumb internet minions.

I wonder when the scam will end. After all, we have eliminated the clueless ineffectual Buffon.

8 Likes

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by suyamasta(m): 5:42pm On Apr 11, 2016
Ohh God!
Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by bukynkwuenu: 5:42pm On Apr 11, 2016
grin
just passing by the apc govt

call me when buhari brings back our girls in 2months

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by rawtouch: 5:43pm On Apr 11, 2016
tell me something
Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by 4nobody4every1: 5:43pm On Apr 11, 2016
sad

1 Like

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by Nobody: 5:43pm On Apr 11, 2016
From the looks of things...the Bokoists have ''married'' the girls(Shekau did say so months ago). Makes me feel sad...and something tells me that the girls won't be seen again.

We have some evil people in this world. Anyway...on Judgement Day....they shall be called to answer for their crimes.

3 Likes

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by wasco24: 5:43pm On Apr 11, 2016
angry
Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by Osama10(m): 5:44pm On Apr 11, 2016
tongue
Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by Sibrah: 5:44pm On Apr 11, 2016
It could be a ploy to help the cause of the alleged $50m ransom demanded by BH. There is a chance that the phone was siezed from her and is being used to trick the parents n Nigerians into believing the girls are available and can be exchanged for the ransom.

1 Like

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by anonimi: 5:44pm On Apr 11, 2016
The FINAL drama is loading already...
Is that why Ebola Owu visited Shettima who told us the girls are in a bunker?

olokfor:
Former President Obasanjo arrived Borno state earlier today on a 2-day visit and paid a courtesy call on the state governor, Kashim Shettima, at the government house. Continue to see more photos...

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3541153_1_png4a47a0db6e60853dedfcfdf08a5ca249

http://www.metronaija.com/2016/03/photos-obasanjo-meets-borno-state.html

Chibok girls held in bunkers - Shettima
MAY 19, 2015

Borno State governor, Kassim Shettima, Tuesday, said there was every tendency that the female students of Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, abducted by members of the Boko Haram sect, in April 2014, were being held in bunkers, inside Sambisa Forest.

To this end, he has asked the military, which is combing the forest not only to fish out members of the sect but to also liberate the over 200 girls to carry their assignment beyond surface earth.

Shettima, spoke in Abuja, while presenting a paper at a two-day post election conference on security and governance, organized by the Savanna Centre, a Non Governmental Organisation, NGO, established by former Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/c...kers-shettima/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by Mopolchi: 5:44pm On Apr 11, 2016
If true am happy. hope no be scam news?
Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by aliumik: 5:45pm On Apr 11, 2016
no b small thing o
Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by thinkdip(m): 5:46pm On Apr 11, 2016
when lie don too much, every post from APC is just le headache.... which one be this cook up again..?

2 Likes

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by Nobody: 5:46pm On Apr 11, 2016
o ga ju
Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by mildflame: 5:47pm On Apr 11, 2016
It must be an MTN line, BOKO HARAM network

2 Likes

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by Hibiscuss(m): 5:47pm On Apr 11, 2016
[quote author=freelove894 post=44612173][/quote]
Barawo Banza. Na everyday mtn dey do promo? Go find better work do.

1 Like

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by Nobody: 5:47pm On Apr 11, 2016
adeaks:
Plausible Answer : - The phone number has been reproduced and re-allocated to someone else who bought the sim card. A simple check with the Telecommunication company can confirm this.

The only baffling thing is how or why the new user called the number of the father of the old user. undecided

Good thinking.

1 Like

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by bluecircle470: 5:47pm On Apr 11, 2016
Very touching
Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by MrMcJay(m): 5:48pm On Apr 11, 2016
Hope this is not an Ntel advert.

3 Likes

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by Nobody: 5:48pm On Apr 11, 2016
One out of 233, 233 out of tens of thousands of women and children kidnapped since 2009. I pity the common folk of this country because they don't've a voice. Two years onwards and no solution is still in sight. I pray the remaining living girls come back safe and well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by coldsummer: 5:49pm On Apr 11, 2016
How
Re: Missing Chibok Schoolgirl Calls Her Father by shaddoww: 5:49pm On Apr 11, 2016
Hope the doubting Thomas will atleast believe they were taken now.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The 'Art ICT Center' Dino Melaye Built In Kogi State (photo) / Which Governor-Elects Are Likely To Be Removed By Tribunals? / Inec Ad Hoc Staff Being Transported Back (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.