Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,858 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:52 PM

Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? (20617 Views)

16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) / Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job / Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by laprince(m): 10:20am On Apr 12, 2016
Oops!
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by phemmy88(m): 10:20am On Apr 12, 2016
heheheh
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by Ezedon(m): 10:21am On Apr 12, 2016
If the contract will yield you enough money to establish yourself, go for it, if not, Don't
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by Nobody: 10:22am On Apr 12, 2016
Go for shell-

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by fanex: 10:23am On Apr 12, 2016
you will not get retained in shell guaranteed but your contract could become indefinite. however if you cannot handle the uncertainty, leverage on your Shell experience to get a more suitable position.
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by oludavis123: 10:23am On Apr 12, 2016
Pray to God for divine direction He still speaks of u ask.
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by LastSurvivor: 10:24am On Apr 12, 2016
4yrs is too much for you to make a reasonable contacts in shell..

I will gladly to for option....... u already know..

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by PresVA: 10:25am On Apr 12, 2016
What kind of contract were you given at Shell? Direct contract? Third party contract or
Will you be given an ID card?

The kinda contract you're given will help me advise further. ...

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by LuckyLadolce(m): 10:25am On Apr 12, 2016
yemibayo:
From my humble perspective, 4 years in Shell even with 100k not to even talk of 200+ is worth it. The brand SHELL will open a lot of doors for you after the 4 years.
I concur
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by Nobody: 10:26am On Apr 12, 2016
Shell pays better than others....accept the four years contract and we talk later by 2019, when there would have been so much jobs created by APC government grin
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by ifeomaekol(f): 10:28am On Apr 12, 2016
kingstonfaith:
u are favoured and graced,from my heart,plz stay where you are,because CONTRACT as THE NAME IS CAN BE TERMINATED AT ANY TIME,what every one is looking for is a job that has a career progression and sure promotion. pray more for the Lord Guidance
I agree so much wt u, u kw pple hv heard shell n its like dt one is beta bt dias nuthn lik stability-----contract cn b terminated @any time bt wt he's present job he cn plan ahead n invest. For me staying in he's present job is sure beta cos d oppourtunity to progress n be promoted is dia---stability is d key wrd. Abv all he needs to seek d face of God.
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by macaranta(m): 10:29am On Apr 12, 2016
Hmm..Dicey
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by Ask4Info: 10:30am On Apr 12, 2016
tunwumi:

I think that 100k job is a FG job. I will advise u to tread softly. All that glitters is not gold. I have done it before we can talk if u want more for my experience

OPPORTUNIST
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by LuckyLadolce(m): 10:30am On Apr 12, 2016
Beckybeky:
Please I need mature advice if possible from professionals and career persons.

Since late last year, I have been pursuing this job stuff from Shell which someone close to me who works there referred me to.
It is a contract job which will last for about 4 years. It was supposed to start late last year but due to the delay in change of govt, it couldn't.

Last month, I got another new job. The pay is a little below 100k and there is career progression and assured promotions in this new job.

Now my referrer in the Shell job has told me get ready to start on the contract job by next month. This one pays above 200k but its just for 4 years period.
So am confused and don't know what to do right now.
Am thinking that this Shell job might connect me to a permanent and bigger position if I go for it.

I need the job if u dont grin go for she'll dear. To make ur resume attractive.
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by shamecurls(m): 10:31am On Apr 12, 2016
Better wise -up

If its a 4year contract, go for it

If it happens to be a rolling contract within 4 years, run for your life.

Contract job has no insurance. You can be sent off any time without notice or compensation.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by babyfaceafrica: 10:31am On Apr 12, 2016
Think deeply.....no Be by shell o....there are people wey never near oil company wey dey control things O...its well withyour soul
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by Kaycee625(m): 10:33am On Apr 12, 2016
Go for the shell job dear, contracts are renued, once you are doing your work well, infact there are people dat have been contract staff for 20 years and counting, so that shouldn't discourage you.
Just go for trainings and update your CV in your course of doing your contract work.
All the best cheers
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by igwegeorgiano(m): 10:34am On Apr 12, 2016
Beckybeky:

Since late last year, I have been pursuing this job stuff from Shell which someone close to me who works there referred me to.
It is a contract job which will last for about 4 years. It was supposed to start late last year but due to the delay in change of govt, it couldn't.

Last month, I got another new job. The pay is a little below 100k and there is career progression and assured promotions in this new job.

Now my referrer in the Shell job has told me get ready to start on the contract job by next month. This one pays above 200k but its just for 4 years period.
Am thinking that this Shell job might connect me to a permanent and bigger position if I go for it.

career jobs often times last depending on you and ur capabilities. if you are able to deliver, of course u will be the toast of ur bosses. think of the long term benefits of your new job then compared to d shell contract job which according u will last for four years.
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by MadCow1: 10:34am On Apr 12, 2016
Beckybeky:

I have always worked as a Contract staff up until middle of last year. I will give you the pros and cons;

1. There is no duration toa contract staff Job. Thats why you get paid on a 'Day Rate' basis. The day they get tired of you, thats the day you stop working.

2. Contract staff jobs don't usually have the termination benefits.

3. But Contract staff jobs always pay higher than permanent staff jobs.

Now be that as it may, I will tell you one harsh truth; THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PERMANENT STAFF JOB except you are working for a company that allows Unions.

SO my candid advise is to follow the money. Reasons;

1. SPDC experience is always nice to have on your resume.

2. Money, Money, Money.

3. The difference between a permanent job and a contract job in your case isnt worth it so go for more money.

4. Career Growth versus SPDC exposure, SPDC wins all day.

5. Money.

I was almost faced with a similar situation recently. I interviewed for a Contract Staff job with one of the IOC's and my wife almost lost her mind wondering why I wanted to leave a permanent job to go back to a Contract Staff job and when I showed her the pay difference.... grin grin

Goodluck..

5 Likes

Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by Nobody: 10:35am On Apr 12, 2016
BrilliantMind:
Oh God I thank u for the good thing u have done in my life. Pls God I have no one to turn to except u God pls provide me with my dream job b4 the end of april 2016(amen). I'm happy for u.Pls choose shell and don't 4get me when u enter shell. I read Chemical engineering. contact: myzeebaby7@gmail.com .Thanks

Send me ur CV. PM me for details

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by gretblue: 10:36am On Apr 12, 2016
Hope the OP isn't playing on one's intelligence here.
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by Nobody: 10:37am On Apr 12, 2016
Baba God, Pick my call, See as person like me dey select job like say na cloth and is expecting me to advice them.
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by ulster: 10:37am On Apr 12, 2016
ok....we can talk some more...but i have done Shell for 3yrs and moved on. If i know the kind of contract you have, i can advise better, but Shell is a good brand as well as experience-builder especially if you are oil&gas career minded, although oil demand is declining, but gas is the future!
rgds,

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by hadura29(m): 10:39am On Apr 12, 2016
Contract as it is called can be terminated at anytime. Pay is good, fine but does it follow your career path and what you have in plan for yourself as per career path? Choose wisely bros, pray about it.. God bless...

My 2cent..
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by adex4u2000(m): 10:40am On Apr 12, 2016
As fer as •̸ϞƔ own opinon go Ƒσя option one, b'cos it Iڪ risky. God bless us. Amen
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by lightdotcom: 10:41am On Apr 12, 2016
BrilliantMind:
Oh God I thank u for the good thing u have done in my life. Pls God I have no one to turn to except u God pls provide me with my dream job b4 the end of april 2016(amen). I'm happy for u.Pls choose shell and don't 4get me when u enter shell. I read Chemical engineering. contact: myzeebaby7@gmail.com .Thanks

Why cant you use an email address that looks professional for something like this.
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by Charlieyoung(m): 10:42am On Apr 12, 2016
learn to leverage on others to work for u. all u have to do is go 4 the shell 4yr contract.then look 4 a good entrepreneural business to engage with the capital u raise 4rm the contract.instead of being traped in working for another mans progress. i rest my case
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by koife(m): 10:42am On Apr 12, 2016
is becky single? am crushing ob her oo
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by Arewa12: 10:43am On Apr 12, 2016
if u knw what u re doing u can be comfortable with d lesser salary
Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by Nobody: 10:45am On Apr 12, 2016
You have not said what is most important - what is the job?

Is it receptionist, site Engineer, Cad operator, driver, Safety officer, cleaner, accountant, lawyer?

The nature of the job and your responsibilities will determine your future employability. Working in shell alone means nothing if you are not working in a career based profession.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? by luvguy(m): 10:45am On Apr 12, 2016
Beckybeky:

sori hw do u get all dese jobs?...pls can u connect 2 any?..pls

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

4 Reasons You Should Start A Side Hustle As A Working Class Nigerian / Dropping Psychology For Nursing. Am I Making The Right Choice? / Meet A Female Mechanic Who Assembles 'Keke Napep' Parts From Scratch In Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.