Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,838 members, 7,802,683 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:49 PM

How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? (27426 Views)

Poultry Business In Nigeria: How Reliable & Profitable Is It? / Finally Started My Poultry Business / How Lucrative Is Carrot And Cabbage Farming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by fisfat(m): 9:32am On Apr 12, 2016
The rate of unemployment these days among nigerian youths is very high. My brothers came out with 2:1 and yet, they couldn't get a job that suits them.

So i taught of a business i could start on my own. Well, i chose poultry business(production and sales of eggs.

My fellow people here, i want you to please enlighten me on:
How lucrative it is
Should i collect day old or laying point?
What is the possible loss rate?
Battery cage or dip litter system?

Thanks for your contributions in advance

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by Nobody: 9:58am On Apr 12, 2016
Very lucrative. You just need a good capital. Myself I plan on getting money so I can get a big land (hectares of land God willing) to plant corn (white and Yellow) and have a mill.. do you know how much I stand to make a day with that kind of business. It's money we talking here.

You should be asking someone in the business let him guide you, most folks here are just too insulting and never willing to help.

21 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by orlabass(m): 10:07am On Apr 12, 2016
if you really ready to venture to this, and you have enough capital to feed layers to there POL, I will advice you raise r them from DOC.. so that you will monitor it yourself, o mean the vaccines and all environmental factors.. you might not know how the person you want to buy POL care for them.. better day old is advisable.. it's lucrative very very.. now here an egg is 40 naira...

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by KINGinWAHALA(m): 1:28pm On Apr 12, 2016
pants business sells faster. you just the right amount of capital to kick off cool
Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by Elomus: 1:29pm On Apr 12, 2016
Best Place to start this kind of business is in akwa ibom state....you go make money die

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by viscocom(m): 1:29pm On Apr 12, 2016
nice one self employment is de best

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Apr 12, 2016
How much to set up
Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Apr 12, 2016
I count this as stupid question.. poultry business has been in existence for donkey years .. it's deals with meat (frozen food) and Eggs.. I believe the question you should be asking is how Risky is poultry business in term of investing ..

13 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by DedeNkem: 1:30pm On Apr 12, 2016
It's profitable if you don't allow disease to wipe them out.

2 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by MIND22: 1:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
SMART WATCH WITH BLUETOOTH,EMAIL,VIDEO RECORDER,AUDIO CAMERA PEDOMETER..

ORDER NOW ANG GET DELIVERD.. NATIONWIDE >>> http://www.kaymu.com.ng/bryte-smart-watch-1091017.html
Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by Banks22(m): 1:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
Av always wanted to ask for help on dis platform, I wish some could just help out here.
Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by chimah3(m): 1:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
all i see is steady fried chicken grin
Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by fasho01(m): 1:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
It is very lucrative cos everything involved with poultry, even the faeces will fetch you money.

However, you need to plan for eventualities like medication, their feeding increases as they mature and then weather too, cos they are easily affected and just one mistake can cost you all your investment.

All in all, it's lucrative and with proper planning, you'll start seeing your profit in no time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by Engnrcollins(m): 1:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
Nice business idea op. I will advise you to raise them up yourself from scratch..don't buy the one that has reached laying point.
Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by damton(m): 1:32pm On Apr 12, 2016
where dem AGBES.
Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by MadCow1: 1:32pm On Apr 12, 2016
Very Lucrative..

Also very very very high risk business.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by Ayento: 1:32pm On Apr 12, 2016
The work is a very lucrative job.if u have a very huge amount to start nd it will fetch u money.I guess
Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by 4nobody4every1: 1:33pm On Apr 12, 2016
cool
Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by coolfredo(m): 1:33pm On Apr 12, 2016
Elomus:
Best Place to start this kind of business is in akwa ibom state....you go make money die
why is it in akwa ibom, na only akwa ibom de eat egg n chicken?

2 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by lakizmet(m): 1:34pm On Apr 12, 2016
Its very lucrative,I met a broda who told mr dat he left his contract job 2venture in2 it and wit f explanations he gave me,I av also started making arrangement 2invest in it.ur profit s based on he much u invest in it n u can aleys start small.few broilers n lots of layers s d best idea
Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Apr 12, 2016
It depends on the environment for it to be lucrative. Pls consider these factors before venturing into the biz
1. Climate
2. Social vices
3. Urban areas
Note: Do not build the infantry in an open environment or ur losses will be very very bad.
Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by ibkgab001: 1:38pm On Apr 12, 2016
You can go for broilers

2 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by tfcinvests: 1:38pm On Apr 12, 2016
I say one every business thread i post on just like this that the foundation for every failed business is " is it very lucrative ".The Bible says every labour has profit in it,and if you check every productivity requires profit to be made for any such venture to be a business....With this perspective i always say anyone that goes into business with the mindframe of is it really lucrative will only last a short term in business.

1. Write down the pitfalls you think you may experience in any business field..writing it down will help you determine if you will cope or how to go thru your seasons of entanglements without quitting,poultry is very productive and very lucrative but if the chain of management is not well managed from the breeding till the distribution of your resources it turns out to be a problem.

2. Poultry is very productive but very labour intensive,i managed a poultry farm of about 120,000 birds and i forgot i would have to be carrying bags of feeds daily which didn't enter my mind before i undertook the task,after carrying 4bags daily over a distance it not only wearied me it wearied all the labourers on the property who came quitting one by one.Farm design to cut down labour should be in place and maintenance to avoid deadlines should be put in place,get extra vaccine,get the right vaccine,get unexpired vaccines,get a veterinarian close just in case,maintain hygiene to even prevent excess ammonia buildup

and most importantly

3. Start small,if you wish to start forget deep litter or this start with saw dust on clean cemented floor,clean it regularly,if you intend to have 1000 birds first season start with 100birds,learn the ropes...learn from errors and get your self set for third season getting it right...the market is big for more of us to come on board...

I welcome u onboard

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by Oketwin(m): 1:46pm On Apr 12, 2016
I will not discourage u but poultry is serious business people only look at d profit nt putting other factors into consideration guy u will need somebody to guide you all d way u can start with doc or poc, buh doc is more preferably cos it would afford u to get all d basic experience n knowledge. secondly u will av to crate ur own market for sales of d eggs it's not always easy as people sees from d outside u av to be consistent with u produce to ur customers, wish you all d best note poultry is capital intensive

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Apr 12, 2016
It is lucrative but pray and fast before u start the bizness

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Apr 12, 2016
I dont want to scare u away... Why thinking of the positive side also think of the negative side
Imagine where u lost about 250 birds to newcastle disease
I hear u say God forbid?
Or where u go into broiler after feeding them up to 3 months some one is pricing 1200 while ur strength and double that
Did i hear u say its a lie?
Or a situation where u have 100 birds only 40-50 are laying? While rest continue to eat u out.
So many negative side
But if u are a learner just start with 50 for broiler and 50 or 100 for layers the cost of feeding layers till maturity of about 100 should be close to 80 to 100k
When they start. Laying its easy to sell ur eggs u wont stress ur self that much on that
Any business u dont have first hand experience in pls dont put ur whole fund in it, put little and see how it goes
I have lost cool money in poultry about 1.9m
Most of all shouting lucreative dont have any idea on it
What u need is to start small and see how it goes, then next batch increase it a little

12 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by HAH: 1:47pm On Apr 12, 2016
Not as lucrative as some people say here but is well profitable if you know how to manage them

As a novice I will advice you to start with brooded chick broilers with this you have escaped the most difficult part which is brooding though they are more expensive but after like two cycles try brooding DOC yourself.

As for layers start with point of lay chickens, with that you have cut off the pain of watching them grow after you gather experience you can start from DOC layers though I have seen farms with 100000 chicken bought at point lay due to stress of waiting for almost 6 months before they start laying.

I want you to know that poultry need close supervision,, hygiene and vaccination. Also know that 70% of your cost will be feeding and please program your mind as will surely be mortality the rate defends on your carefulness.

Wish you all the best.

Lest I forget don't be deceived by your school grade, its your skill that will set you free, this is an advice from someone with much experience

Cheers

12 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by fisfat(m): 1:50pm On Apr 12, 2016
fasho01:
It is very lucrative cos everything involved with poultry, even the faeces will fetch you money.

However, you need to plan for eventualities like medication, their feeding increases as they mature and then weather too, cos they are easily affected and just one mistake can cost you all your investment.

All in all, it's lucrative and with proper planning, you'll start seeing your profit in no time.

Thanks. Very informative
Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by Rhozabeth(m): 1:50pm On Apr 12, 2016
WarRLaY:
I count this as stupid question.. poultry business has been in existence for donkey years .. it's deals with meat (frozen food) and Eggs.. I believe the question you should be asking is how Risky is poultry business in term of investing ..
U ve just hit the nail on the head, everyone know that poultry business is very lucrative but risky. What the op should be doing if he is serious is assessing the risks involved and learning ways to minimise the risks!
Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by OMOBABAYEMI: 1:50pm On Apr 12, 2016

3 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by omonla555: 1:51pm On Apr 12, 2016
Please go for layers and you will not regret it. It is cool money when you can get alternative feed (Live stock feed) for them.
Re: How Lucrative Is Poultry Business? by tfcinvests: 1:51pm On Apr 12, 2016
1. Try to join forums strictly for poultry owners not just Nairaland,poultry farmers forum.

2. Start with day old,make sure you write your data..i was in a farm of 120,000birds no one kept a single journal,you need to start from day old in other to know the exact amount of feed each quantity would consume for more seasons to come.

3. Why you can store feed,make sure you don't overstock because feed gets spoiled too.You will do well to have metal cans because of rodents as the feed attracts lizards and rats alot.

4. Try to attain not more than 18% of your total chicks are "deceased" by egg laying period and you have done a good job,a mortality rate of over 20% is too high...i raise chicks from day old at home till maturity and in 200 for example not 1 die not a single one.

5.My first set of chicks die one after the other,they kept dieing the first 5 sets if you experience this don't fret i learnt that's how it starts,as i speak nothin i rear dies like that....

6.Quickly clean litter as this reduces Ammonia which in turn enter thru their nostrils and reduces their productivity,try to clean litter in a good time ( If your litter starts to smell too much before you clean each time you have allowed ammonia to turn ammonium gas ) it in turn affects the bird's appetite and on the long run productivity.

7. Read books and articles,if you're too busy to read books try youtube videos,get data and search for Videos,you can learn well this way.

8. Continuity is key...Doing what is right continuously is what success is and nothing will stop you...

9. Try to work on getting markets before they reach laying stage ( Never rely on a single customer even if he buys a million crates weekly )

I hope this helps

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Prospect, Price And Peril Of Poultry Industry In Nigeria / Malleri: Gombe Community Ravaged By Hippos / Aregbesola Interacts With Farmers In Their Cocoa Plantation (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.