Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,301 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) (22044 Views)

South African Dad Throws His Baby To Prevent His Building From Being Demolished / Malawian Journalist Accuses His Wife Of Being A Witch (Photo) / Abandoned Nine-month-old Baby Crawling On Lagos Road Found (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by dre11(m): 1:52pm On Apr 12, 2016
•Police denies mother’s claim

By Perez Brisibe

EKU – SOLDIERS from the 4th Brigade, Benin, Edo State attached to Presco Oil Plc, Ovre-Eku, in Ethiope East Local Government Area, Delta State have been accused of stomping a 20 month old baby to death during an early morning raid at Eku community.

The soldiers, it was gathered, stormed the community, last Wednesday, in company of some policemen in three Hilux vans in search of youths suspected to have burnt down an excavator belonging to the company.

The company and the community have been at logger-heads over the former’s alleged acquisition of a disputed land, which did not go down well with indigenes of the community.

Angry looking soldiers
Recounting her ordeal to Niger Delta Voice, mother of the baby, Mrs. Maureen Atori, explained that she was in bed with her husband, Mr. Collins Atori when the door to their apartment was smashed open by a team of angry looking soldiers and policemen who tried to forcefully take her husband away.

According to her: “As they (soldiers and policemen) were beating my husband and dragging him on the ground, I and my second son were pleading with them to tamper justice with mercy and leave him alone. It was during the commotion that one of the soldiers stomped on my baby, David.”

Continuing, Mrs. Atori, who also suffered injury on her leg, said: “Though it did not occur to me that the impact on my baby was that serious as I was more concerned about the whereabouts of my husband, until he (David) started acting strange and later died as he was being rushed to the hospital.”

Youths protest incident
Meanwhile, hundreds of youths from the community, weekend, took to the streets in protest over the incident with an appeal to the Delta State government to caution the management of the company and also set up an investigation panel.

The youths, who described the action of the security operatives as reminiscent of the dark days of the military era, lamented that "though the country is in democratic dispensation, citizens are being brutalized and molested by soldiers in a 'slave and master' manner."

Police source dismisses mother’s claim
Though attempts to get the comment of the 4th Brigade Army Public Relations Officer, Eromosele J. Unuakhalu proved abortive as at press time, a police source at the Abraka police station, who spoke on condition of anonymity, dismissed as untrue the claim by Mrs. Atori that security operatives stomped on her baby.

He said the security operatives only arrested Collins, father of the late infant and two others, Shedrack and Christopher Usobotie fingered in the alleged burning of an excavator belonging to the company and that matter is being investigated.

Lawmaker accuse military of brutalizing constituents
Condemning the incident that led to the death of the infant, the member representing Ethiope East constituency in the Delta State House of Assembly, Hon. Evans Iwhurie, said: “As the lawmaker representing the area in the state House of Assembly, I will not sit back and watch this recurring sad development.

When I was informed about the incident, I contacted the District Officer of Eku police post, who informed me that no such entry as regards the incident was made at his police post, instead a similar entry was entered at the Abraka police station where Presco had filed a petition and made an entry to embark on the arrests made.

Personally, I will not allow this kind of criminality to happen under my watch while my people are being brutalized and molested over their land by a company using soldiers from the 4th Brigade and policemen to intimidate and harass them.”

Boundary commission urges Delta, Edo to maintain status quo
Meanwhile, the National Boundary Commission, NBC, has charged both Delta and Edo states to maintain the status quo pending the final determination of the boundary by the commission.

Relevant documents
Director General of the commission, Dr. Mohammed Ahmed, who gave the charge at a recent meeting attended by Deputy Governors of Delta and Edo states, Mr. Kingsley Otuaro and Dr. Pius Odubu at the Delta State Deputy Governor’s Office, Asaba, said the meeting was aimed at addressing outstanding grey areas on the matter. “

At the end of the meeting both states resolved to identify and articulate relevant documents with respect to the forest reserves, contributions and the Ethiope River sector for use by the technical committee.

“Other resolutions reached are: “That record shall be made available to other stakeholders on or before April 30, 2016, while the field work to address the outstanding grey sectors in the area shall be undertaken from June 6 to July 22, 2016.
"That both state governments should prevail upon Presco Oil Plc or any other firm operating near the border area to limit their operations to the undisputed area and maintain the peace pending the final determination of the boundary.”

In their remarks, both deputy governors regretted the delay in resolving the dispute and appealed to the affected communities to promote peace and imbibe the existing spirit of brotherliness between Edo and Delta states.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/04/mother-accuses-soldiers-stomping-20-month-old-baby-death-delta/

Pic: Maureen, the Baby and Collins

Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by Destined2win: 1:57pm On Apr 12, 2016
It's possible cos I know we have some animals in uniform

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by xolocious(m): 2:27pm On Apr 12, 2016
but sha I no read am oh. the passage too long, Shey no b school we dey and no b read and answer d question. I just say make I greet una. una weldone oh. how market?

1 Like

Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by Nobody: 2:28pm On Apr 12, 2016
Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by Nobody: 2:29pm On Apr 12, 2016
Irrespective of the fact whether you are guilty or not, Never Resist An Arrest.
Force-men get aggressive when being prevented from carrying out their duty.

2 Likes

Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by Originality007: 2:29pm On Apr 12, 2016
shocked cry cry cry the poor boy

2 Likes

Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by jaybiz007(m): 2:29pm On Apr 12, 2016
Man inhumanity to man cry. We still have a long way to go in this country.

4 Likes

Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by Missmossy(f): 2:30pm On Apr 12, 2016
Brutal. Have the police ever confessed before?? Evil people.

1 Like

Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by faruz: 2:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
... . End Time
Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by MaconAwire(m): 2:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
NA WA O

WIC WAY 9JA

wire was here "_*
Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by xolocious(m): 2:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
Destined2win:
It's possible cos I know we have some animals in uniform

but guy, how u take over thrown me. u no get another hand work abi here Nah ur house? Nawa oh. badt sharp guy.

1 Like

Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by Destined2win: 2:32pm On Apr 12, 2016
xolocious:

but guy, how u take over thrown me. u no get another hand work abi here Nah ur house? Nawa oh. badt sharp guy.

Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by boss1310(m): 2:33pm On Apr 12, 2016
somebody pass me a handkerchief pls as am weeping for this country

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by Glossyclick(m): 2:33pm On Apr 12, 2016
Some times i even wonder if our armed forces has confessed on doing something wrong.

R. I. P to the BOY.

Oh Lord Save us. cry cry

2 Likes

Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by xolocious(m): 2:34pm On Apr 12, 2016
Destined2win:

e b like say u dey think Waytn u wan tell me. hmmm...
Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by xolocious(m): 2:34pm On Apr 12, 2016
Destined2win:

well sha, Waytn do hapun don already happen. d small boy go dey happy say him Don finally leave naija enter heaven. him own ny better pass. keep flexing in heaven.
Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by dollaflow(m): 2:35pm On Apr 12, 2016
hmmm
Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by Icecomrade: 2:35pm On Apr 12, 2016
Lolz
Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by crestedaguiyi: 2:36pm On Apr 12, 2016
The zoo attendants see everybody in the zoo as animals
Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by Babyphinas(f): 2:37pm On Apr 12, 2016
That's inhuman
Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by kagel: 2:37pm On Apr 12, 2016
xolocious:
but sha I no read am oh. the passage too long, Shey no b school we dey and no b read and answer d question. I just say make I greet una. una weldone oh. how market?

what is this one saying on tragic issues like this eeh? go to school you said NO, write well trouble read already written article problem
you are just like the president of this country Buhary that fail to read through the budget before signing
please ....... park .

2 Likes

Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by saintkel(m): 2:37pm On Apr 12, 2016
What is wrong with dis country pls?

1 Like

Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by Destined2win: 2:38pm On Apr 12, 2016
Icecomrade:
Lolz
What's funny. Better close that teeth make I breathe
Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by Nobody: 2:38pm On Apr 12, 2016
the best way to classify the Nigerian army is "uniformed thugs",they render services to those who can afford it

3 Likes

Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by Inspectahdeck(m): 2:38pm On Apr 12, 2016
"He said the security operatives only arrested Collins, father of the late infant and two others, Shedrack and Christopher Usobotie manipulated in the alleged burning of an excavator belonging to the company and that matter is being investigated".

Why do Nigerians result to violence at the slightest opportunity? Why burn an excavator bought with millions of naira?
Why do Nigerian forces carry out their operation with no sense of humanity?
"we will finish anybody we meet".
They never strategies, that's why they get killed in missions e.g. the death of 100 policemen in nassarwa state 2 years ago etc.

The backwardness grin of Nigeria is epic, in 2016 we still have communities fighting over border. Well!

2 Likes

Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by xolocious(m): 2:39pm On Apr 12, 2016
Destined2win:
What's funny. Better close that teeth make I breathe

bros easy. nah so ur matter come b, y u dey envy and jealous d guy laff. hmmm... Nawa oh. waytn man no go see for naija again?
Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by Joel3(m): 2:40pm On Apr 12, 2016
it's very possible that one of the soldier must have step on the poor boy. with his weight and strong big boot.

una de use English confused poor Nigerians.

Stomp is Match or crushed, to step on something. for those who are confused

2 Likes

Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by xolocious(m): 2:42pm On Apr 12, 2016
kagel:

what is this one saying on tragic issues like this eeh? go to school you said NO, write well trouble read already written article problem
you are just like the president of this country Buhary that fail to read through the budget before signing
please ....... park .

like seriously? tell me more!
u way come sabi, y u no go help am interpret d budget. forming professor for n/l. if bad market hold u, nah my body u wan pour am put or do I look like Buhari for ur eye. Abeg park well jor, go look for who dey worry u.

1 Like

Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by onajo2000(m): 2:42pm On Apr 12, 2016
Hmm ........anything concerning brutality about Nigeria army are almost true, where on earth arresting an offender with soldiers is allowed?
Everything about Nigeria get K-leg
Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by YaksonFCA(m): 2:52pm On Apr 12, 2016
RIP
Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by adedam007(m): 2:53pm On Apr 12, 2016
Re: Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) by Icecomrade: 2:54pm On Apr 12, 2016

More reasons why I celebrate any time a soldier or police gets killed.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Save For The Future So As Not To Learn The Hard Way? / Mother Of Quintuplets Stranded In Hospital. Incurs N3.7million Bill / Rev Felix Ikejimba And His Wife Welcome Twins After 8 Years Of Waiting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.