Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,346 members, 7,780,923 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:32 AM

Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In (3908 Views)

12 Questions People Ask About The Christian Faith / 3 Things That Can Kill Your Christian Faith / Pillars Of A Christian's Faith (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Nobody: 7:00pm On Apr 12, 2016
Please Scholar8200, malvisguy212 and others who know a lot about the Christian faith come in and contribute.............

I have recently discovered a problem which might pose a threat to the authenticity of the Gospels and the authority of the New Testament... I noticed a significant difference between Matthew's gospel and other gospels. In Matthew's gospel, the event of Matthew's calling to discipleship happens before the event of the healing of the demon possessed man but in other gospels, Matthew's calling takes place after the event of healing the demon possessed.... I want to know if anything has been said about it..... Thanks for contributing.........
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by psucc(m): 7:23pm On Apr 12, 2016
Guy may the Spirit of God give you understanding and knowledge in Jesus Name - Amen.

1 Like

Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by nobilis: 7:51pm On Apr 12, 2016
lordnicklaus:
Please Scholar8200, malvisguy212 and others who know a lot about the Christian faith come in and contribute.............

I have recently discovered a problem which might pose a threat to the authenticity of the Gospels and the authority of the New Testament... I noticed a significant difference between Matthew's gospel and other gospels. In Matthew's gospel, the event of Matthew's calling to discipleship happens before the event of the healing of the demon possessed man but in other gospels, Matthew's calling takes place after the event of healing the demon possessed.... I want to know if anything has been said about it..... Thanks for contributing.........

Very very good.

I'm glad your eyes are opening gradually.

I'm glad you are not being blinded by the silly dogmatic belief in the errors of the bible.

I'm glad you're realising that there are so many discrepancies in the scriptures and that you're realising that there is no way a book said to be inspired by one single person, who is touted as being perfect, all-knowing and all-seeing, can contain so much discrepancies.

I'll point out two more discrepancies:
1. Check the genealogy of Jesus Christ as presented in Matthew and check the genealogy of Jesus Christ as presented in Luke.
Go through all the names one after the other and do a thorough comparison.
Not only will you discover that the two accounts of the genealogy of the same person are grossly dissimilar, but you will also discover that the number of ancestors of Jesus as reported in the two accounts are not even the same.

2. Historically, find out the exact time written as the time for the birth of Jesus in Matthew. And find out the exact time written as the time for the birth of Jesus in Luke. You will find out that these two dates and times are different by about 10 years.

If you need more discrepancies, I'll reel them out for you.
But digest these ones for now.
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Luckylife(m): 7:53pm On Apr 12, 2016
Wather Jonah swallow the shark or the shark swallow Jonah , what matters was that swallow took place. The two gospel was written by different people in their own views and it takes the divine help to understand the massage between the lines. This ur observation is earthly meaning but what matters is the heavenly meaning.

1 Like

Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Nobody: 8:30pm On Apr 12, 2016
psucc:
Guy may the Spirit of God give you understanding and knowledge in Jesus Name - Amen.

Thanks for the warm prayer man!!! God bless

3 Likes

Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by orisa37: 8:33pm On Apr 12, 2016
Put rope on a goat or put a goat on rope is the same, provided that the goat does not escape. I have no problem with the different arrangements of the Gospels. it's all the same Faith arranged differently.
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Nobody: 8:41pm On Apr 12, 2016
nobilis:

Very very good.

I'm glad you are not being blinded by the silly dogmatic belief in the errors of the bible.

I'm glad you're realising that there are so many discrepancies in the scriptures and that you're realising that there is no way a book said to be inspired by one single person, who is touted as being perfect, all-knowing and all-seeing, can contain so much discrepancies.

1. Check the genealogy of Jesus Christ as presented in Matthew and check the genealogy of Jesus Christ as presented in Luke.
Not only will you discover that the two accounts of the genealogy of the same person are grossly dissimilar, but you will also discover that the number of ancestors of Jesus as reported in the two accounts are not even the same.

2. Historically, find out the exact time written as the time for the birth of Jesus in Matthew. And find out the exact time written as the time for the birth of Jesus in Luke. You will find out that these two dates and times are different by about 10 years.

Dear nobilis, I think the differences may have arisen out of copyist error or purposeful miscopying of the original text..... Matthew's geneology is from Abraham down to Jesus while that of Luke is from Jesus back to Adam. I think why some ancestors are left out is probably because the original writer of one gospel skipped some of them while the other wrote some of them. But I will like you to write any other discrepancies... Thanks...
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by hopeforcharles(m): 8:49pm On Apr 12, 2016
lordnicklaus:

It seems you are just a Sunday Sunday goer and not a studying Bible type,
Get this fact right, The Bib the doesn't have mistakes had it been it had the people that edited it, sealed and packaged would have amended it, but everything was left that way so that the authenticity of the bible is no affected, Take note The Gospels were inspired by the Holy spirit and written by different writers according to individual account of the events witnessed,
If an even happened in a place where 4 or more people are and u asked them of the event individually their response will be different hope you know, and mind you they are all saying the truth but from different views or scope. Cherish the Bible it is a very wonderful Book that can do wonders in ones life if you assimilate and use its words.

3 Likes

Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by hopeforcharles(m): 8:51pm On Apr 12, 2016
nobilis:

Very very good.

This is my response to you

Get this fact right, The Bib the doesn't have mistakes had it been it had the people that edited it, sealed and packaged would have amended it, but everything was left that way so that the authenticity of the bible is no affected, Take note The Gospels were inspired by the Holy spirit and written by different writers according to individual account of the events witnessed,
If an even happened in a place where 4 or more people are and u asked them of the event individually their response will be different hope you know, and mind you they are all saying the truth but from different views or scope. Cherish the Bible it is a very wonderful Book that can do wonders in ones life if you assimilate and use its words.
If you have any questions ask me I will be willing to clear your doubts

2 Likes

Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Scholar8200(m): 8:54pm On Apr 12, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Like you would have noticed in the Bible, chronological order plays little or no part. What matters is that there was a disciple called Levi/Matthew
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Varagous(f): 9:12pm On Apr 12, 2016
Luckylife:
Wather Jonah swallow the shark or the shark swallow Jonah , what matters is that there were swallow. The two gospel was written by different people in their own views and it takes the divine help to understand the massage between the lines. This ur observation is earthly meaning but what matters is the heavenly meaning.

well said!
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 12, 2016
I have also noted something else......

God said to Moses concerning His appearance to the patriarchs.......................................................................................................................................

"I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as EL SHADDAI but by My name JEHOVAH, I was not known to them" - Exodus 6:3

Yet, we have God telling Abraham in Genesis 15:7------------------------------------------------------------------------- "I am JEHOVAH, who brought you out of Ur as of the Chaldeans, to give you this land to inherit."

1 Like

Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by itstpia8: 9:46pm On Apr 12, 2016
defenders of the Christian faith meaning what?

Is that an organization?
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Nobody: 10:24pm On Apr 12, 2016
itstpia8:
defenders of the Christian faith meaning what?

Is that an organization?

No!!! I just gave them that title simply because they are ready to defend the bible
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Scholar8200(m): 10:25pm On Apr 12, 2016
lordnicklaus:

God said to Moses concerning His appearance to the patriarchs.......................................................................................................................................

"I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as EL SHADDAI but by My name JEHOVAH, I was not known to them" - Exodus 6:3

Yet, we have God telling Abraham in Genesis 15:7------------------------------------------------------------------------- "I am JEHOVAH, who brought you out of Ur as of the Chaldeans, to give you this land to inherit."
This is simply because the writer of Genesis-Moses- was the one God spoke to in Exodus 6:3
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by itstpia8: 2:18am On Apr 13, 2016
lordnicklaus:

No!!! I just gave them that title simply because they are ready to defend the bible

its actually two very different terms.

Like your moniker, the meanings are specific.
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by nobilis: 2:35am On Apr 13, 2016
hopeforcharles:

This is my response to you

If you have any questions ask me I will be willing to clear your doubts

Hahahahahahahahaha.
Christians deceiving themselves since 30AD.
Interesting.

Now, u say when more than 5 people are at the scene of an event and you ask them, they would give different accounts.

First let me ask:
Among all the gospel writers, just mention the one person that was there at the scene of the birth of Jesus. Bear in mind, that the very first gospel to be written was the gospel of Mark and that was written around 60AD, that is about 60-65 years after the supposed birth of Jesus. That should give you an idea of when Matthew and Luke were written.

Secondly, if you ask any human being who was around when World War I or World War II began, they will give you the exact year with at least a month or two months difference.
If you ask those who were around when the Biafran War started, they will give you the exact year with a difference of years.
If you ask any Greek historian the date for the Trojan War, they will give you the exact dates.
If you ask and Roman historian about the Punic Wars, they will give you the exact dates.
If you ask any body about the year of birth of figures like Socrates, Plato, Ptolemy, Alexander the Great, Xerxes, Julius Caesar, they will give the exact years.

But yet the accounts of the birth of the supposed most important personality on earth are not in concordance and this is the best reasoning you can offer?

This is beyond pathetic!!!!.
And you're busy copying and pasting this your pathetic response for different posts.
SMH.
Maybe you will still copy out that post again in reply to this one.
Mtcheew!!!
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Nobody: 2:36am On Apr 13, 2016
lordnicklaus:

There are no contradictions there. Matthew's account was not written in a chronological order.

4 Likes

Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Nobody: 2:53am On Apr 13, 2016
lordnicklaus:

it is evident that God meant that he manifested himself to them in the capacity of Jehovah only in a limited way. To illustrate this, those who had known the man Abram could hardly be said to have really known him as Abraham (meaning “Father of a Crowd (Multitude)”) while he had but one son, Ishmael. When Isaac and other sons were born and began producing offspring, the name Abraham took on greater meaning or import. So, too, the name Jehovah would now take on expanded meaning for the Israelites.

To “know,” therefore, does not necessarily mean merely to be acquainted with or cognizant of something or someone. The foolish Nabal knew David’s name but still asked, “Who is David?” in the sense of asking, “What does he amount to?” (1Sa 25:9-11; compare 2Sa 8:13.) So, too, Pharaoh had said to Moses: “Who is Jehovah, so that I should obey his voice to send Israel away? I do not know Jehovah at all and, what is more, I am not going to send Israel away.” (Ex 5:1, 2) By that, Pharaoh evidently meant that he did not know Jehovah as the true God or as having any authority over Egypt’s king and his affairs, nor as having any might to enforce His will as announced by Moses and Aaron. But now Pharaoh and all Egypt, along with the Israelites, would come to know the real meaning of that name, the person it represented. As Jehovah showed Moses, this would result from God’s carrying out His purpose toward Israel, liberating them, giving them the Promised Land, and thereby fulfilling His covenant with their forefathers. In this way, as God said, “You will certainly know that I am Jehovah your God.”—Ex 6:4-8

2 Likes

Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by nobilis: 2:58am On Apr 13, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Dear nobilis, I think the differences may have arisen out of copyist error or purposeful miscopying of the original text..... Matthew's geneology is from Abraham down to Jesus while that of Luke is from Jesus back to Adam. I think why some ancestors are left out is probably because the original writer of one gospel skipped some of them while the other wrote some of them. But I will like you to write any other discrepancies... Thanks...

Now I can see you're determined to remain blind.
So much for my enthusiasm over someone who I felt was beginning to see the truth.

When I asked you to check for discrepancies, did I ask you to check just the copied versions
And you're telling me it is due to copying errors.
U once said u had access to Matthew's original Aramaic gospel, why not gain access to it and study the genealogy there. And look for Luke's original Greek gospel and study it too.

Or maybe you're too lazy to make deep researches in order to discover the truth. And this laziness is the bane of Christians. And that is why they perish. Even their bible said, My people perish because of lack of knowledge.

As for the genealogy of Jesus, tell me this.
Whether I'm tracing your family tree from your furthest ancestor to you or tracing from you to your furthest ancestor, what would justify the omission of several names either way?
What would also justify the discrepancies in names?

I told you to study the different genealogy accounts and you went and just counted the names there. You didn't bother reading through to see that some names in the two accounts didn't tally.
And u offer this silly explanation

And yet you want me to show you another discrepancy.

Christians sef.

I will show you.
And now you will have 3 discrepancies which no amount of explanation can explain away.

This is about Paul's encounter with Jesus on the way to Damascus
Acts 9:7 And the men who journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.
Acts 22:9 And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by johnw74: 2:59am On Apr 13, 2016
lordnicklaus:

You said in a post that you don't believe Paul etc. but you believe in Jesus Christ because you believe the Gospels
And now you are trying to tear apart the Gospels
wolf in sheep's clothing.
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Nobody: 8:05am On Apr 13, 2016
nobilis:

Now I can see you're determined to remain blind.
So much for my enthusiasm over someone who I felt was beginning to see the truth.

When I asked you to check for discrepancies, did I ask you to check just the copied versions
And you're telling me it is due to copying errors.
U once said u had access to Matthew's original Aramaic gospel, why not gain access to it and study the genealogy there. And look for Luke's original Greek gospel and study it too.

Or maybe you're too lazy to make deep researches in order to discover the truth. And this laziness is the bane of Christians. And that is why they perish. Even their bible said, My people perish because of lack of knowledge.

As for the genealogy of Jesus, tell me this.
Whether I'm tracing your family tree from your furthest ancestor to you or tracing from you to your furthest ancestor, what would justify the omission of several names either way?
What would also justify the discrepancies in names?

I told you to study the different genealogy accounts and you went and just counted the names there. You didn't bother reading through to see that some names in the two accounts didn't tally.
And u offer this silly explanation

And yet you want me to show you another discrepancy.

Christians sef.

I will show you.
And now you will have 3 discrepancies which no amount of explanation can explain away.

This is about Paul's encounter with Jesus on the way to Damascus
Acts 9:7 And the men who journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.
Acts 22:9 And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.

Thanks nobilis,

I am only realising the discrepancies now and seeing I have believed in the bible for a long time, it would be hard for me to finally conclude on whether it is true or not. It might take time to finally realise what to believe and I have so many questions going on in my mind right now. If there can be even a slight fault in the bible, what gives me the assurance that it has really explained the nature of God? And what gives me the assurance that it has really told who Jesus was.............................................................................................................................................

I have also noticed something significant in Luke's geneology as you said I should search for, it renders Cainan as son of Arphaxad whereas Cainan probably had no ties with the Semitic family or was there an ancestor which Matthew did not consider?
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by hopeforcharles(m): 8:35am On Apr 13, 2016
nobilis:

Hahahahahahahahaha.
Interesting.

Now, u say when more than 5 people are at the scene of an event and you ask them, they would give different accounts.

First let me ask:
Among all the gospel writers, just mention the one person that was there at the scene of the birth of Jesus. Bear in mind, that the very first gospel to be written was the gospel of Mark and that was written around 60AD, that is about 60-65 years after the supposed birth of Jesus. That should give you an idea of when Matthew and Luke were written.

Secondly, if you ask any human being who was around when World War I or World War II began, they will give you the exact year with at least a month or two months difference.
If you ask those who were around when the Biafran War started, they will give you the exact year with a difference of years.
If you ask any Greek historian the date for the Trojan War, they will give you the exact dates.
If you ask and Roman historian about the Punic Wars, they will give you the exact dates.
If you ask any body about the year of birth of figures like Socrates, Plato, Ptolemy, Alexander the Great, Xerxes, Julius Caesar, they will give the exact years.

But yet the accounts of the birth of the supposed most important personality on earth are not in concordance and this is the best reasoning you can offer?

This is beyond pathetic!!!!.
And you're busy copying and pasting this your pathetic response for different posts.
SMH.
Maybe you will still copy out that post again in reply to this one.
Mtcheew!!!
I like u, and I like the way u presented your points, but what you forgot to note is that, the whole Gospel scriptural text acknowledged and gave an account of the birth of Jesus according to the inspiration they receive, you are trying to see things from the perspective of mistake but that is where u failed because the Bible is not some literature book it's a book has so many metaphoric saying, I respect your opinion but I will want you to study the Bible as a spiritual and religious text and not some Literature book in so doing you will see the true meanings and messages, by the way what religion do u practice?
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by freecocoa(f): 8:56am On Apr 13, 2016
Why not just take the cue already? Everything you've been told is all but one giant ball of bull.
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Nobody: 9:12am On Apr 13, 2016
freecocoa:
Why not just take the cue already? Everything you've been told is all but one giant ball of bull.

Errrr! I didn't call for atheists please
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by freecocoa(f): 9:19am On Apr 13, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Errrr! I didn't call for atheists please

Yea right, tell seun to create a christian only section then, nansenz.
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Scholar8200(m): 9:21am On Apr 13, 2016
nobilis:

Hahahahahahahahaha.
Interesting.

First let me ask:
Mary, mother of Jesus was with the 12 Apostles and others in the upper room; she was taken home by John the beloved when Jesus was crucified; meaning she was there throughout the 40 post resurrection days.Hence you dont need to look too far as to how Matthew or Mark knew about the birth of Jesus and all that transpired before His birth.

Who else could have been able to say this but Mary herself:

And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.
Luke 2:51
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Nobody: 9:31am On Apr 13, 2016
freecocoa:
Yea right, tell seun to create a christian only section then, nansenz.

Wateva.... Dogs bark at the wind and people listen to them.....
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Nobody: 9:33am On Apr 13, 2016
Scholar8200:
Mary, mother of Jesus was with the 12 Apostles and others in the upper room; she was taken home by John the beloved when Jesus was crucified; meaning she was there throughout the 40 post resurrection days.Hence you dont need to look too far as to how Matthew or Mark knew about the birth of Jesus and all that transpired before His birth.

Who else could have been able to say this but Mary herself:

And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.
Luke 2:51

Mark doesn't record the virgin birth
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Scholar8200(m): 9:34am On Apr 13, 2016
lordnicklaus:

I have also noticed something significant in Luke's geneology as you said I should search for, it renders Cainan as son of Arphaxad whereas Cainan probably had no ties with the Semitic family or was there an ancestor which Matthew did not consider?
Kindly spend some minutes here:
https://www.nairaland.com/2494362/why-jesus-genealogy-matthew-luke#36590310
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Scholar8200(m): 9:37am On Apr 13, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Mark doesn't record the virgin birth
Neither did John or Mark record the sermon on the mount. Apart from John, no other records the turning of water to wine or the deliverance of the woman caught in adultery. The fact that not all captures the same events does not mean those events did not happen.
In fact, Mark does not detail the circumstances around the birth of John either!
Re: Fellow Defenders Of The Christian Faith Please Come In by Nobody: 9:53am On Apr 13, 2016
Scholar8200:

Kindly spend some minutes here:
https://www.nairaland.com/2494362/why-jesus-genealogy-matthew-luke#36590310

Thanks!!!!! I now have knowledge of the genealogy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tithes: Who Should Pay? / Top Nigerian Pastors Seen In Hell And Others That Might Miss The Rapture / Muslims Leave Islam After Reading The Qur’an

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.