Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,554 members, 7,809,025 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

Please Advice On This New Skill. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Advice On This New Skill. (1372 Views)

My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me / How Do I Turn Down My Boss' Advances Without Losing My Job? (please Advice) / Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Advice On This New Skill. by psalmuelwater(m): 4:27pm On Apr 13, 2016
Good day nairalanders, I'm hoping to get experts and experienced advice here, as a fresh graduate of building technology, I have this drive to be self employed and this has really left me brainstorming this days. So, v been contemplating on learning a skill in the building industry like aluminium windows, tiles or aluminium roof covering before and during nysc.
Pls advice, which is more lucrative or suggest other skills that are hot in the pratical world of building construction. I need your candid advice pls.
Re: Please Advice On This New Skill. by Engineermbugame(m): 7:10pm On Apr 13, 2016
My bro,i fink plumbing installation and eletrical installation wil be good.cause dere deal wit building plans .tanks me later and much gain .

1 Like

Re: Please Advice On This New Skill. by nabiz(m): 10:02pm On Apr 13, 2016
If u are creative, I will advice u go into landscaping contractor. It is a very big area or acquire skill in supplying and property agent.

Areas in landscaping.
(1)Swimming pool construction
(2)waterfall and fountain installation.
(3)Flower and garden service.
(4)Interlocking, pave and decorative concrete floor installation
(5) Art and sculpture. Etc

How to start
You most not perfect in all the skill before u start. The most important thing is to have the basic knowledge like pricing, materials needed to do the job and the source, and where to get a good skilled worker to do the job and how to motivate the work.

(1) Acquire skill in any of the above but I preferred flower garden.
(2) Acquire skill in archy cad or real time for drawing and designing
(3)Look for a space and start the nursing ur flower.
(4) Search for experts in the above field and convince the to come and do samples in ur good located garden and collect there contacts. Believe me u will learn other areas through on the job training

1 Like

Re: Please Advice On This New Skill. by psalmuelwater(m): 7:35am On Apr 14, 2016
Thanks for ur replies, v neva even thought abt this ideas. Does this mean, what I v been thinking about is not really selling in the industry anymore?
Re: Please Advice On This New Skill. by Engineermbugame(m): 9:15am On Apr 14, 2016
All d building skills u mention is selling.d only reason i told u to learn plumbing or eletrical installation ,is dat dey deal wit building plans . It wil make u to knew hw to read a building plans.my own suggestion

1 Like

Re: Please Advice On This New Skill. by psalmuelwater(m): 9:43am On Apr 14, 2016
Thank you sir
Re: Please Advice On This New Skill. by Engineermbugame(m): 10:51am On Apr 14, 2016
Ur welcome bro,did u have friends wo is an engineer ?
Re: Please Advice On This New Skill. by psalmuelwater(m): 11:50am On Apr 14, 2016
Yes
Re: Please Advice On This New Skill. by 1forall: 5:15pm On Apr 15, 2016
Being a graduate of Building Tech I wouldn't advise that you acquire the general construction trades skills like aluminium windows, tiling, plumbing etc as you would be competing directly with the crowd of artisans out there. If you do, I of course expect that over time you would set yourself apart based on your educational background, but that will take time and you will have to deal the challenge of customers who prefer the cheaper labour from 'Baba Taju' than your own expertise which is likely to cost more.

My advice would be to look for a specialized area of construction where you can easily set yourself apart (due to less competition) to learn about and acquire skills in.

The following areas readily come to mind:

- Building insulation
- Building cladding
- Specialized roofing systems and their installation techniques

I also suggest you go into whatever area you decide with a motivation to learn new skills, grow your expertise and develop a career as opposed to just making money. This is so that you are not discouraged along the way because; as you know, there are bound to be challenges on the way to the top.

However I admire your pro-active approach to your career and wish to encourage you to carry on with hard work, persistence and determination as you expand your skill and knowledge base.

And if you have any questions about those specialized areas mentioned above do not hesitate to ask.

1 Like

Re: Please Advice On This New Skill. by psalmuelwater(m): 8:37am On Apr 16, 2016
Does that mean there are no competition in the area you have listed? Of course, I'll really want to distinguish myself from the "baba tajus". Bt I'm really interested in that specialized roofing system and their techniques, what about it? Mr 1forall. Thanks
Re: Please Advice On This New Skill. by superstr: 12:13pm On Apr 16, 2016
Whatever you think... below will help you a lot.

38 Career Tips You Must Know If You Want to Be Successful in Life.

http://www.careerlinko.com/2016/04/11/38-career-tips-you-must-know-if-you-want-to-be-successful-in-life/
Re: Please Advice On This New Skill. by 1forall: 4:50pm On Apr 19, 2016
psalmuelwater:
Does that mean there are no competition in the area you have listed? Of course, I'll really want to distinguish myself from the "baba tajus". Bt I'm really interested in that specialized roofing system and their techniques, what about it? Mr 1forall. Thanks

There is competition in those areas just like in most fields but it's far less than the more common trades because of its specialized nature and the level of training required.

You can start by doing an extensive Internet search on "specialized roofing systems" and/or "specialized roofing techniques" to learn more about these things. The most common to my knowledge is the standing seam technique and there are various implementations of it depending on the sheet manufacturer.

Check them out and if you have any questions please ask.
Re: Please Advice On This New Skill. by psalmuelwater(m): 11:41pm On Apr 29, 2016
1forall:

There is competition in those areas just like in most fields but it's far less than the more common trades because of its specialized nature and the level of training required.

You can start by doing an extensive Internet search on "specialized roofing systems" and/or "specialized roofing techniques" to learn more about these things. The most common to my knowledge is the standing seam technique and there are various implementations of it depending on the sheet manufacturer.

Check them out and if you have any questions please ask.
. Ok. I don't know if you know where I can learn from someone who's into all these pending when I'll gt my call up letter?

(1) (Reply)

Pls Which Jamb Subjects Will I Do For International Relations? / "Don't Waste Your Time Studying These 5 Courses In School" - Reno Omokri / H

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.