Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,708 members, 7,802,135 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:37 AM

Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians (16748 Views)

God will turn around things for Nigeria – Kemi Adeosun / Flashback: Enugu Shoa Throws Out Gender Equality Bill / Apc Senators Fear Take Over Of The Senate By Pdp - Backs Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by LocalChamp: 1:14am On Apr 14, 2016
Senators fear Gender Equality Bill will turn women to prostitutes, lesbians –Senator Abaribe

April 13, 2016 Samuel Ogundipe

The senator representing Abia South Senatorial District, Eyinnaya Abaribe, has said the Senate rejected the Gender Equal Opportunities Bill because some lawmakers feared the legislation could give women unfettered freedom to engage in immoral activities.

Mr. Abaribe said many senators expressed deep concerns over the blanket freedom the bill would give women because many of them would ignore their immediate responsibilities and turn to prostitutes and homosexuals, urging the proponents of the bill to find a way of replacing some of its languages.

Mr. Abaribe spoke during a forum on political rights of women in Nigeria organised by the Civil Resource Development and Documentation Centre (CIRDDOC) on Wednesday in Abuja.

“The bill was defeated at the second reading when its details were highlighted to the senators,” Mr. Abaribe said. “Some lawmakers started expressing deep worries about some parts of the bill that they think could give women too much freedom and lead them to prostitution, lesbianism and other social vices.”
Mr. Abaribe called on all those championing the bill to make efforts at modifying some aspects of it in order to make it acceptable to all lawmakers for passage.
“The reason why we’re here is that we think that we should be able to restrategise, we should be able to look at the bill again and see those contentious areas we may need to modify. We should be able to find those critical constituencies within the senate that we must have to address.

“We should be able to look at the narrative of the bill and how it is being presented to the public and change that narrative and make it a positive narrative.
“For example, the bill is not a north versus south bill. The bill is not a Christian versus Muslim bill. The bill is not a male versus female bill. The bill simply seeks to extend to every Nigerian all the rights that are they should enjoy. And if women by virtue of our culture, by virtue of our historic antecedents are being behind, then we need to also drag them into the economy by giving them every right that they can use to be productive members of the society and that is all that we’re trying to do.
“It has been rejected but we’re talking to the senators who are supporting the bill to know how we could move forward. It’s not easy to say the bill can pass tomorrow, but we will continue to plead with other members for their support on this bill.
Mr. Abaribe, who is a member of the Senate Constitutional Review Committee, also said the bill may need to be incorporated into the Constitution as part of the ongoing constitutional amendment process in the National Assembly.
“Since we’re doing constitutional review, I will advise that we find a way of putting this bill directly into the Constitution because if we just make it as part of electoral law, it could be challenged at the courts and get struck down.”
The bill, which has continued to stoke widespread emotions amongst women, was introduced by Senator Biodun Olujimi and it aimed to achieve, among other purposes, equal access to education, strengthening of the laws on violence against Women, ending abduction of girls, sustenance and promotion of entrepreneurship opportunities, gender mainstreaming and gender equality, as well as female participation in governance.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/ssouth-east/201751-senators-fear-gender-equality-bill-will-turn-women-to-prostitutes-lesbians-senator-abaribe.html

1 Like

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by ourkobo: 1:25am On Apr 14, 2016
FTC .

3rd time since I joined nairaland and 3rd time in 3weeks.

dedicated to those who stood in long queue with me this morning waiting for fuel.
I pray that Nigeria will be better in Jesus name (Amen)

3 Likes

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by amokeme(f): 1:29am On Apr 14, 2016
LocalChamp:

equal access to education, strengthening of the laws on violence against Women, ending abduction of girls, sustenance and promotion of entrepreneurship opportunities, gender mainstreaming and gender equality
can someone please explain what the bold means to me Cause I don't seem to get it.

If everything mentioned there are what the bill is to achieve, then I think the "Gender equality" title they are giving it is wrong. It should be, Equal rights and elimination of violence against the female gender" which is totally different from Gender equality. People tend to mix the two which is why this battle is a lost one already.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by amokeme(f): 1:38am On Apr 14, 2016
KINGinVALHALA3:
I CONCUR!

Even without the bill, majority of them are already pr@stitutes and lesb!ans.

Only God knows what they would become if the bill was passed.
do you even understand what you are concurring to Anyways, it's not your fault. Is the lawmakers who don't know the difference. Because going by what you are "concurring" to, equal access to education, strengthening of the laws on violence against Women, ending abduction of girls, sustenance and promotion of entrepreneurship opportunities, gender mainstreaming will turn women into prostitutes undecided please, lock your daughters in your house and don't send them to sch, amd teach them how to depend on a man for every they need including breathe if possible. send just the male and if your daughter is raped (God for bid) or physically abused, go to the man and thank him because she is a girl and she deserves it embarassed

19 Likes

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by chriskosherbal(m): 1:59am On Apr 14, 2016
I think it is individual differences, if an individual is spoilt, then she is spoilt, but of she is not, then she is not.
Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by onoja12: 5:27am On Apr 14, 2016
first he has a right to concur,second what makes you think he doesn't know what he is talking about,lastly have you read the bill the woman presented,you are relying on the title.after reading that bill i new right away that woman didn't prepare that bill,it was given to her,the bill is out to bring in lesbianism though the back door,no story about it. but like most things the white do thinking we are stupid, they thought our women would line up on the street and start a riot if the bill wasn't passed.But God has always made sure that they never succeed,please look for the bill and read it.if i find it on my system i would put it up

amokeme:
do you even understand what you are concurring to Anyways, it's not your fault. Is the lawmakers who don't know the difference. Because going by what you are "concurring" to, equal access to education, strengthening of the laws on violence against Women, ending abduction of girls, sustenance and promotion of entrepreneurship opportunities, gender mainstreaming will turn women into prostitutes undecided please, lock your daughters in your house and don't send them to sch, amd teach them how to depend on a man for every they need including breathe if possible. send just the male and if your daughter is raped (God for bid) or physically abused, go to the man and thank him because she is a girl and she deserves it embarassed

6 Likes

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by babyfaceafrica: 7:07am On Apr 14, 2016
The bill won't pass unless Watered down significantly simple!!....
Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by Nobody: 7:11am On Apr 14, 2016
Such Lame excuse. Even an illiterate on d road knows better.

How does Gender equality correlate with Prostitution and lesbianism??

Someone shud jst tell me d similarities nd i'd shutup for good.

If a woman is seen and treated equal to men, how those dat promote prostitute nd lesbianism?

It's high time all those in d senate resign and go back to school, it's obvious they all learnt nothing.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by Nobody: 7:52am On Apr 14, 2016
amokeme:
arr you dull?

don't our women already enjoy all those things you listed up there? abi Dem no send you go school? if man beat you, police no dry arrest am?

it is very clear the bill is to bring in lesbianism into Nigeria.

15 Likes

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by Dollyak(f): 7:54am On Apr 14, 2016
Gender equality turning women to lesbian. Word fail me. Just when I thought the senators couldn't sink lower they have just achieved that. The average women in Nigeria are too stupid to fight for what is right so why bother?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by geniusgenes: 7:57am On Apr 14, 2016
give a woman an inch.... lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

we can already see them n Nairaland...

6 Likes

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by maxit2(m): 7:58am On Apr 14, 2016
Bad
Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by Sunnycliff(m): 7:58am On Apr 14, 2016
This is Africa! We a Chauvinist!
For Gender equity go to India or the UK!
This is a man's world here!
No to Gender Equity

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by eph12(m): 7:59am On Apr 14, 2016
Prostitution can't be stopped no matter what bill you decide or decide not to pass.

2 Likes

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by Nobody: 7:59am On Apr 14, 2016
They should not hide behind that jor
We've got the 14 years jail term to make sure that doesn't happen.

In my opinion, there is nothing like Gender equality sha.

This Gender equality thing should state clearly what it entails, cause if the senators are hiding behind sexuality alone, then it's nonsense, Gender equality doesn't stand on sexuality alone, it's the least of it, if Gender equality can ever be achieved.
Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by Chanchit: 8:00am On Apr 14, 2016
I'm even hoping they pass that bill, all I have to do is remind any girl/lady that wants to bill me that we are equal before the law.

Gender equality is a mind set, some ladies believe they are equal to a man while many believe they would never be equal, if you like pass the bill 10x.

5 Likes

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by PlayerOne: 8:00am On Apr 14, 2016
Senate be like

1 Like

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by MathsChic(f): 8:01am On Apr 14, 2016
Yet another evidence of primitiveness from Nigeria's supposedly esteemed senators. Just when you start to think they are liberated and educated, they turn back to their backward ways which have kept Nigeria in perpetual darkness grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by potbelly(m): 8:03am On Apr 14, 2016
Our senators are senseless...

1 Like

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by goingape: 8:03am On Apr 14, 2016
Good!

Already 90% of our NAIJA WOMEN ARE PROSTITUTE and le sbianism.

Why are they even looking for equality undecided

4 Likes

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by adexsimply(m): 8:03am On Apr 14, 2016
I've never seen or heard of a sillier excuse all my life. Statements like this should only be expected from a group of people with below-average intelligence.

15 Likes

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by eph12(m): 8:04am On Apr 14, 2016
amokeme:
You don't need any bill to go to school. All those offence you listed there is punishable under Nigerian law so don't know how this bill is bringing something different though am not against it but females already enjoy a lot. Even within the family and outside females get preferential treatment so what's the issue?

4 Likes

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by Frank3n2(m): 8:05am On Apr 14, 2016
Lala forgive me for saying this.. This man is a bastard and a cum rag!! angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by coldsummer: 8:05am On Apr 14, 2016
Senseless set of people

The number of homosexuals amongst them can crash Sodom and Gomorrah alongside neighbouring countries.

Silly and primitive things called senators

4 Likes

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by Juanapeters21: 8:05am On Apr 14, 2016
Yes this is very correct

1 Like

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by SafetyFirst(m): 8:06am On Apr 14, 2016
T
Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by vision2050: 8:07am On Apr 14, 2016
women submit yourself to your husband. which equal right self. God is man, Jesus inclusive, all angels are men. God rest after he made a man, since he made woman he never rest, na so so wahala.
man first others follow. I support the Senate but against women violence.

3 Likes

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by Frank3n2(m): 8:07am On Apr 14, 2016
Juanapeters21:
Yes this is very correct
i can see you live with a 3rd generation brain.. angry

3 Likes

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by fr3do(m): 8:08am On Apr 14, 2016
These people are dragging us back to the medieval age.

3 Likes

Re: Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians by miqos02(m): 8:08am On Apr 14, 2016
story

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tickets: 62 Aggrieved APC Reps Await Panel Report, Plot Next Move / Abacha Loot: FG Secretly Pays Malami’s Lawyers ‘Dubious’ $15m Fees - The Cable / Lagos APC Crisis: Peace Moves Suffer Setback

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.