Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size (6274 Views)

How To Change Your Car Tyre On Your Own / Do You Know Your Car Tyre Can Jeopardize Your Safety? / How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by ramdris(m): 6:29pm On Apr 14, 2016
The gurus in the house, please enlighten me on the merit and demerit of the letter "C" in car tyre size rating. Normally the size of my tyre is P205/65R15 but my supplier brought me new tyres 2 of which were carrying the "C" symbol. Just want to know if it is safe for me to use or not. Presently, I asked the vulcanizer to use it as the rear tyres. Am driving EOD' 05 edition.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Nobody: 7:24pm On Apr 14, 2016
ramdris:
The gurus in the house, please enlighten me on the merit and demerit of the letter "C" in car tyre size rating. Normally the size of my tyre is P205/65R15 but my supplier brought me new tyres 2 of which were carrying the "C" symbol. Just want to know if it is safe for me to use or not. Presently, I asked the vulcanizer to use it as the rear tyres. Am driving EOD' 05 edition.

Thank you
The 'C' means the tyre was manufactured to be used in cold region that is not suitable for our climate here.
Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Nobody: 9:48pm On Apr 14, 2016
ethene:

The 'C' means the tyre was manufactured to be used in cold region that is not suitable for our climate here.

Do you know this for a fact, or did you just guess, and make this up? If you're not sure, it's best not to give advice on a safety-related issue. C for cold region! I suppose then H on a tyre means the tyre is designed for use in Nigeria and Dubai??

205/65R16 C

Ramdris, please disregard the response from Ethene. The "C" in your tyre dimension, speed and load index denotes Commercial. So while it will physically fit a 16" rim designed for a passenger car, the commercial-oriented construction (6 plies and above) means it's too heavy for a passenger car.

Wheel bearings will have a shorter life, and of course, C-rated tyres are not safe at speeds above 100mph. They are also very hard, so will make a nice comfortable family car ride really rough, and noisy.

Of course, if this tyre is for a light truck, or Ford Transit / Volkswagen Transporter or similar, then it's ideal.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by rockiedink(m): 11:01pm On Apr 14, 2016
ethene:

No o!!!!

It means that the tyre is the Chinese version...as in 'C for China'!

Some pipu sha! Una no go kii pesin for Nairaland grin grin

@Siena
The 'H' must stand for 'Homemade'...as in 'Made in Aba'! grin cheesy

4 Likes

Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Nobody: 11:27pm On Apr 14, 2016
rockiedink:

No o!!!!

It means that the tyre is the Chinese version...as in 'C for China'!

Some pipu sha! Una no go kii pesin for Nairaland grin grin

@Siena
The 'H' must stand for 'Homemade'...as in 'Made in Aba'! grin cheesy

grin grin grin grin
Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by ramdris(m): 11:41pm On Apr 14, 2016
Siena:

Do you know this for a fact, or did you just guess, and make this up? If you're not sure, it's best not to give advice on a safety-related issue. C for cold region! I suppose then H on a tyre means the tyre is designed for use in Nigeria and Dubai??

205/65R16 C

Ramdris, please disregard the response from Ethene. The "C" in your tyre dimension, speed and load index denotes Commercial. So while it will physically fit a 16" rim designed for a passenger car, the commercial-oriented construction (4 plies and above) means it's too heavy for a passenger car.

Wheel bearings will have a shorter life, and of course, C-rated tyres are not safe at speeds above 100mph. They are also very hard, so will make a nice comfortable family car ride really rough, and noisy.

Of course, if this tyre is for a light truck, or Ford Transit / Volkswagen Transporter or similar, then it's ideal.
Thank u sir. May ur river of knowledge never runs dry , biyt...am grateful.

1 Like

Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Nobody: 2:46pm On Apr 15, 2016
Siena:

205/65R16 C

Ramdris, please disregard the response from Ethene. The "C" in your tyre dimension, speed and load index denotes Commercial. So while it will physically fit a 16" rim designed for a passenger car, the commercial-oriented construction (4 plies and above) means it's too heavy for a passenger car.

I am very sure! It could be A, for hot region, B for mid temperature region or C for cold region. I didn't make this up but I just told u the fact, u can find out from a well trained road safety officer.
Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Nobody: 2:54pm On Apr 15, 2016
ethene:

I am very sure! It could be A, for hot region, B for mid temperature region or C for cold region. I didn't make this up but I just told u the fact, u can find out from a well trained road safety officer.

If this is the drivel Road Safety Officers come up with, I think I'll pass on that, thanks. Besides, Road Safety Officers do not place classification on tyres. And C as in the tyre data on the sidewall does not denote regional temperature.

Out of interest, where was this "well trained" Road Safety Officer trained?

1 Like

Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Olisa4all: 5:32pm On Apr 15, 2016
Siena:

Out of interest, where was this "well trained" Road Safety Officer trained?

road side obviously

1 Like

Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Nobody: 7:16pm On Apr 15, 2016
ethene:

I think you're on the right path. Tires are rated, with regard to temperature resistance, from highest to lowest resistance as A, B, and C. A=hot area; B=normal area; C=cold area. Then there is also traction in which tires are graded from highest to lowest as "AA", "A", "B", and "C". The Op was was probably referring to the "C" symbol in traction.
Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Nobody: 7:24pm On Apr 15, 2016
Siena:

The "C" in your tyre dimension, speed and load index denotes Commercial.
I'm not aware of a "C" load/speed symbol. There are (from lowest to highest): Q, R, S, T, U, H, V, W, Y, Z.
Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Nobody: 8:03pm On Apr 15, 2016
Costee:

I'm not aware of a "C" load/speed symbol. There are (from lowest to highest): Q, R, S, T, U, H, V, W, Y, Z.

I'm aware "C" is not a speed rating. Where did I state it was??
Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Nobody: 8:10pm On Apr 15, 2016
LIGHT COMMERCIAL VEHICLE TYRES

Tyres marked with this symbol may be suitable for use on light commercial vehicles (i.e Ford Transit, Peugeot Boxer, Citroen Berlingo etc) as well as caravans and some motorhome/campervan varieties. These tyres will either be a 6ply or an 8ply construction* and will be denoted by the letter C after the wheel diameter e.g. 195/70R15C

* Tyres are constructed from a series of products. To provide it with its strength and rigidity there are numerous layers to a tyre. These consist of metallic bands that cross one another in an X pattern to give the tyre its radial support, layers of cord running across the tyre from left to right and side wall layers. The 'plies' are the combination of all the belts or bands that support the tyre.

Standard car tyres are manufactured with four plies to maintain a balance between structure, road handling, noise emission and comfort. A commercial grade tyre has further plies in order to allow for greater load carrying, longevity and higher pressures.

That's an extract from here:

http://www.hometyre.co.uk/tyre-information/tyre-styles/

I was a commercial tyre fitter for 9 years, working for Fleet Support. That was back in the early 1990's, but nothing has changed since then.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Nobody: 8:22pm On Apr 15, 2016
Siena:
LIGHT COMMERCIAL VEHICLE TYRES...will be denoted by the letter C after the wheel diameter e.g. 195/70R15C[/color]
That's the point that clinches it. Op should perhaps upload a picture of the tire where this C is located. That should indicate whether it's for temperature, traction, or vehicle type.
Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Nobody: 8:22pm On Apr 15, 2016
The traction index on a tyre sidewall is classed as "small print". Very few motorists actually see, or indeed notice it. The size, load index, speed rating and construction however are hard to miss, the lettering is large, and is in no less than 2 areas.
Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Nobody: 8:25pm On Apr 15, 2016
Costee:

That's the point that clinches it. Op should perhaps upload a picture of the tire where this C is located. That should indicate whether it's for temperature, traction, or vehicle type.

If he does, I will apologise unreservedly to Ethene for being a tool. I'm not one who finds it difficult to admit I've made a mistake.
Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 15, 2016
Siena:
The traction index on a tyre sidewall is classed as "small print". Very few motorists actually see, or indeed notice it. The size, load index, speed rating and construction however are hard to miss, the lettering is large, and is in no less than 2 areas.
Yes, all very well. I'm sure you'll agree that Ethene was not totally off course.
Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Nobody: 8:45pm On Apr 15, 2016
Costee:

Yes, all very well. I'm sure you'll agree that Ethene was not totally off course.

His interpretation of traction was totally off course, so no, I don't agree. This is even assuming the "C" in question was a traction, rather than a construction code.
Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Nobody: 8:54pm On Apr 15, 2016
Costee:

What does "C" stand for in car tyre size?

I would say the thread title leaves no doubt as to where the "C" is located.
Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by princemillla(m): 11:12am On Apr 16, 2016
C is for commercial while R is for regular

C is very rugged compare to R

I Have been using a commercial tyre for the past few years until recent. It's good for interstate Travellers.

But be warned, it's expensive

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Nobody: 12:38pm On Apr 16, 2016
princemillla:

I Have been using a commercial tyre for the past few years until recent. It's good for interstate Travellers.

"R" on a tyre sidewall denotes Radial. Most car tyres are radials, they replaced the Cross Ply tyres that were phased out many years ago.

Using commercial tyres on a regular passenger car is not advisable. The risk of blow-outs are significantly increased, as they are not generally rated for sustained speeds above 90 mph. There is also the increased likelihood of suspension damage due to increased shock-loading. Commercial tyres are designed for load-carrying capacity, meaning a minimum of 4 plies.

This makes them extremely hard, with very little give / flex. Any shock encountered (potholes, speed bumps etc) is transferred to the suspension or bodyshell, if the suspension dampers are blown.
Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by thegame(m): 12:58pm On Apr 16, 2016
princemillla:

cheesy i think we are missing the point here.

@Ethene, please do not argue about this. C is for Commercial. I have read it somewhere before and that your A for Hot, B for Bake, C for cold is simply wrong. you may google the readings on car tyres to be sure

And as for commercial being rugged, Prince. Yes, they may. They are for commercial use, so they must be rugged, and slightly more expensive.

But Sienna just mentioned something worth noting, it will have a long term effect on your wheel bearing.

I can neither confirm nor deny this as i haven't used any C-rated tyre before but i will keep that in mind now.
Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by princemillla(m): 1:14pm On Apr 16, 2016
Siena:

This makes them extremely hard, with very little give / flex. Any shock encountered (potholes, speed bumps etc) is transferred to the suspension or bodyshell, if the suspension dampers are blown.

Thanks for the enlightenment, I love the bold part. It reminds of some effect experience on my last vehicle.

To add to the cons of C tyre they easily Bend/curl and that affect the wheel a great deal.
Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by Nobody: 1:43pm On Apr 16, 2016
princemillla:
Thanks for the enlightenment, I love the bold part. It reminds of some effect experience on my last vehicle.

To add to the cons of C tyre they easily Bend/curl and that affect the wheel a great deal.

The reverse is usually the case. Commercial tyres bend less, as the sidewalls are thicker, more heavy-duty. Regular car radials bend more.
Re: What Does "C" Stands For In Car Tyre Size by ivoryhouse(m): 8:59pm On Apr 16, 2016
Costee:

I want to order this spec for my land rover defender 90 [265/75/16 B F Goodrich T/A KM2 Mud Terrain 119/116Q] but a friend says it wont be safe for Nigeria. What rating (Q, R, S, T, U, H, V, W, Y, Z) is best for Nigeria?

(1) (Reply)

Is Driving Quadricycle Legal In Lagos / South Africa To Acquire Rights To Produce Nigerian Cars. / Advantages Of Oven Baked Car Painting Over Non-oven Baked?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.