Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,886 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:36 AM

Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms (5362 Views)

Nigerian Militants Demand Release Of Nnamdi Kanu After Hijacking Ship / EFCC Uncovers Another N3bn Stolen Arms Deal!!! / Fg Dismisses Militants’ Demand For Amnesty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by mbulela: 8:00am On Aug 04, 2009
well i said it earlier. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=301136.msg4274565#msg4274565
i sincerely hope i am not being vindicated.

ABUJA — THE Move ment for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) and other militants are asking that the Federal Government should add to their term of amnesty, payment of N300,000 per AK-47 rifle and two magazines returned.
MEND is also asking that each member of its members be built a three bedroom apartment of relatively good comfort, but would pay back for the house  in ten years.

This was made known to newsmen by Chief Mediator of MEND and other militant groups in the amnesty discussion, Prince Joseph Etella Harry.
Harry is a nephew of the slain Marshal Harry.
“Sequel to our tenable negations with commanders of militants involved, the right and realistic approach is the irrevocable recovery of arms obtained illegally.
“To completely and permanently resolved the crisis in the Niger Delta, the following  terms must be unequivocally ascertained”, he said.
“The FG shall pay N300,000 per an AK47 and two magazines.
“The Federal Government shall construct sustainable three bedroom flats at low cost. The buildings which must be constructed in their places of choice within the Niger Delta, shall be exclusively for militants and sundry youths who shall undertake to pay the cost due within ten years.”
According to him, the MEND and other “generals” in other camps have promised to surrender not less that 10,000 arms within the first phase of the amnesty if there demands are reached.
“With this in mind, we want about N3 billion transferred to us, through our management”, he said.
According to him, the militants have also agreed to free seven oil wells, in the first one week, if government agrees to the terms Harry who later hosted some of the “generals” to a dinner in Abuja, said that most of the militants find it hard to trust mediators, but that he has been working with them for long, trying to bring peace in the region, like his late Uncle, Marshal Harry.
He said that within one month, if the FG puts efforts at meeting these demands, “the war would be over for ever”

MEND not interested in meeting Yar’Adua
Meanwhile, MEND has said it is not interested in face-to-face talks with President Umaru Yar’Adua, as long as he takes appropriate decisions that will lead to the resolution of the Niger-Delta crisis.
Also, the group’s leader, Henry Okah, has met with the former Chief of General Staff; Admiral Mike Akhigbe to persuade him to be part of the militant group’s negotiating team.
Already, the Special Adviser to the President on Niger-Delta, Mr. Timi Alaibe, is said to have met with the leader of MEND, Henry Okah and other key figures in the militant group to chart a way forward.
Spokesman of MEND, Jomo Gbomo, in an exclusive e-mail response to an inquiry by Vanguard, however, said “We (MEND) are still consulting and hope that before the expiration of the 60-day ceasefire, the team can discuss with the President’s envoy.”
His words, “We are not interested in any direct talks with the President. There are some of us that crave such meetings and those are in the minority and they are doing so for selfish monetary gains. As long as the President gets our message from Timi Alaibe or from the pages of newspapers, meeting him is not as important as the actions he takes to bring about the change every Nigerian now craves for, such as fiscal federalism”.
He nevertheless said, “The Aaron team has not been put in place, but we are already making progress in taking a common position on the demands to be made”.
He confirmed that Henry Okah had met with the former Chief of General Staff, Admiral Mike Akhigbe Okah and others, adding, “We are also intime”.
On Timi Alaibe, he asserted that the special adiviser “is now in touch with some key figures and he has met with Henry Okah from what we gather”.
NDDC urges miltants to embrace amnesty
The Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) on its part appealed to militants to embrace the amnesty offer by the Federal Government.
Acting Managing Director of the Commission, Mr. Power Aginighan, who made the appeal yesterday in Port Harcourt during the commissioning of a health centre built and furnished by the Commission for Tereama community, Port Harcourt, said militants should see the amnesty offer as an opportunity for them to be properly reintegrated into
society so they could also be active players in the drive to develop the region.
Aginighan who blamed some of the conflicts and tension in the region on the failure of some firms operating in the region to effectively discharge their social responsibility to their host communities said as an institution, the NDDC was ready to go into meaningful partnership for the development of the area.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/08/04/amnesty-militants-demand-n3bn-for-arms/
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by Nobody: 11:08am On Aug 04, 2009
i no fit talk. . . grin lipsrsealed
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by mayrho(m): 11:10am On Aug 04, 2009
I saw this coming No wonder why the US does not negotiate with terrorist domestic or foreign
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by jumobi1(m): 11:15am On Aug 04, 2009
mayrho:

I saw this coming No wonder why the[b] US does not negotiate with terrorist domestic or foreign[/b]

And what good does it do? It just makes the US look like a bully. Sometimes it is good to negotiate and sometimes it isn't.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by MrCrackles(m): 11:15am On Aug 04, 2009
Chai. . . . .Wahala dey ooo! grin
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by md4real(m): 11:21am On Aug 04, 2009
the federal government should forget the dialogue and invoke the BOKO HARAM style i dealing with them.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by tubabie(f): 11:26am On Aug 04, 2009
Hmm am tired of this country called Nigeria embarassed

Its time for MEND and its members to be get their share of the national cake and disappear while we await the emergence of a new group yet to be formed that will also hold the country to ransom fighting for the emancipation of Niger Delta.
Their demands reek of selfishness and criminality.So after the settlement and their pockets are filled ,they are back to square one again.
The blame lies more with the Federal Government who have neglected the Niger Delta for so long  and instead of correcting the wrongs will rather pay ransom to militants to obtain peace which is temporal

MEND is also asking that each member of its members be built a three bedroom apartment of relatively good comfort, but would pay back for the house  in ten years.
So what happens to other non-MEND members who by virtue of being from ND deserve such too but wont be entitled to it.
Of course the next solution would be to take up arms again. At least recent developments are indicating it works in Nigeria sad
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by Rebarobyn: 11:34am On Aug 04, 2009
If the govt agrees to exchange any amount whatsoever for those arms, I will impeach Yaradua angry. Was the agreement not Arms for Amnesty and focus on Niger Delta ? These guys are beginning to take Yaradua's softness for granted, what an insult! lets see what the guy will do sha.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by jumobi1(m): 11:36am On Aug 04, 2009
Rebarobyn:

If the govt agrees to exchange any amount whatsoever for those arms, I will impeach Yaradua angry. Was the agreement not Arms for Amnesty and focus on Niger Delta ? These guys are beginning to take Yaradua's softness for granted, what an insult! lets see what the guy will do sha.

SO what do u suggest? If it makes sense, then we should follow. These Mend guys have weapons to fight the govt and cause havoc. The only way to prevent this is for the govt to pay them. It is the cost of peace and I say the govt should make a deal with them.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by Ibime(m): 11:42am On Aug 04, 2009
Lazy journalism. . . . Prince Joseph Etella Harry is negotiating for 'militants', not MEND.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by tubabie(f): 11:44am On Aug 04, 2009
jumobi1:

SO what do u suggest? If it makes sense, then we should follow. These Mend guys have weapons to fight the govt and cause havoc. The only way to prevent this is for the govt to pay them. It is the cost of peace and I say the govt should make a deal with them.
Going by past antecedents, It has never turned out right to make deals with militants operating against the rule of law.
I would rather the government fulfil with urgency and dedication the setting up of infrastructures and facilities that befit the ND and compensates for the income generated from that region afterall was that not the Intent of MEND, why pay them money
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by jumobi1(m): 11:45am On Aug 04, 2009
and these militants would use their arms to start armed robbery nation wide.  What would these militants do with their spare time now? Its best to pay them cos an idle man is the devils home boy.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by Rebarobyn: 11:47am On Aug 04, 2009
jumobi1:

If the Govt. agrees, we will never see the end of militancy in Nigeria, they want money for the arms?? like the money wasn't stolen by some ex-govt person who was/is funding them, they now want a return on their money. These people should even be grateful the govt is giving them full amnesty, do you know how many innocent people have died because of them? We all know when negotiating you must try to get as much as possible and that's what they're doing. I think amnesty is enough and if their cause was genuine in the first place, they should be focusing on what will be done for the Niger Delta people and not for them. They want three bedroom flats yeah right, the govt must build a 3-bedroom flat for every Nigerian then otherwise, we'll all take up arms and negotiate for it---do you get it? its going to bring more rebels and militants.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by tubabie(f): 11:50am On Aug 04, 2009
Ibime:

Lazy journalism. . . . Prince Joseph Etella Harry is negotiating for 'militants', not MEND.

Care to throw more light on your post please?
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by shesi(m): 11:51am On Aug 04, 2009
I have a question for whoever cares to answer me. It's something i've wondered for a while but never bothered to ask.

OK, since i've been coming to this site, i've noticed there is quite a lot of agitation from some factions in nigeria who don't want to belong to the federation. my question is this; Nigeria has military coups in the past; my understanding of military coups is that the first order of business is to annul the existing constitution.

so my question is; at the time of the latest transition from military to democratic rule in nigeria, when that new constitution was being drawn, who signed on behalf of the igbos and the niger delta people to become part of the federation? or what was the process like?

i'm asking because for example, if the US had a coup, and later the country was being returned to democratic rule, all the states would have to re-enter the federation all over again. So it would seem to me that in the case of Nigeria, 1999 for example would have been the best time for the seperatists to have refused to sign to the new constitution.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by jumobi1(m): 11:52am On Aug 04, 2009
Rebarobyn:

If the Govt. agrees, we will never see the end of militancy in Nigeria, they want money for the arms?? like the money wasn't stolen by some ex-govt person who was/is funding them, they now want a return on their money. These people should even be grateful the govt is giving them full amnesty, do you know how many innocent people have died because of them? We all know when negotiating you must try to get as much as possible and that's what they're doing. I think amnesty is enough and if their cause was genuine in the first place, they should be focusing on what will be done for the Niger Delta people and not for them. They want three bedroom flats yeah right, the govt must build a 3-bedroom flat for every Nigerian then otherwise, we'll all take up arms and negotiate for it---do you get it? its going to bring more rebels and militants.

I certainly see what you are saying.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by mbulela: 11:54am On Aug 04, 2009
Ibime:

This was made known to newsmen by Chief Mediator of MEND and other militant groups in the amnesty discussion, Prince Joseph Etella Harry.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by jumobi1(m): 11:54am On Aug 04, 2009
shesi:

I have a question for whoever cares to answer me. It's something i've wondered for a while but never bothered to ask.

OK, since i've been coming to this site, i've noticed there is quite a lot of agitation from some factions in nigeria who don't want to belong to the federation. my question is this; Nigeria has military coups in the past; my understanding of military coups is that the first order of business is to annul the existing constitution.

so my question is; at the time of the latest transition from military to democratic rule in nigeria, when that new constitution was being drawn, who signed on behalf of the igbos and the niger delta people to become part of the federation? or what was the process like?

i'm asking because for example, if the US had a coup, and later the country was being returned to democratic rule, all the states would have to re-enter the federation all over again. So it would seem to me that in the case of Nigeria, 1999 for example would have been the best time for the seperatists to have refused to sign to the new constitution.

Good question. I guess the Igbo's in PDP signed.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by nex(m): 11:56am On Aug 04, 2009
If we say MEND are not fighting for us, people who know little will open their mouths and shout.

So it is only those who have AK 47s in the NigerDelta that should benefit from the riches of the region?

Where is the demand for resource control? Where is the call for an end to gas flaring? How about roads, schools and other infrastructure? I'm sure they will soon tell government to issue 1 diplomatic passport each to every member of MEND to travel out of the country.

Out of the fullness of the heart, the mouth testifieth.

I know them will review those demands now and add other things when their selfishness has been condemned by all, but the truth is, at the spur of the moment, they revealed their true desires. N3 billion!

Do they even have 10,000 AK47s? So they will order their gun runners to import guns at N50k each and sell them for N300k. My people, I hail una O!

What about us that you have been using and abusing our name all over the world for your freedom terrorism purposes? We can't go any where and boldly say we're Niger Deltans with incurrent thoughts of vandalism, kidnapping, arson, lawlessness, barbarism and theft. And after using us to sell this brand we get nothing? Not even a bush path did they include that the government should construct for us. So we see what the terrorism was all about. All over the world, terrorists want money.

N3 billion cash! Then a three bedroom flat worth an average of N5million each for 10,000 terrorists, thats N50 billion. Altogether, N53 billion. Not one single school? Not one borehole? Not even one of the sites of oil spill cause by MEND vandalism should be cleaned up? Not one rig unflared? Not one of the houses of innocent citizens bombed for MEND's sake to be rebuilt? Not one fish pond constructed for all the unhabitable waters?

Remind me again, what were MEND fighting for? 300 and a 3 bedroom flat each?
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by mbulela: 11:57am On Aug 04, 2009
this whole thing is pure and plain criminality.
the only ideology these militants know is money.
all the major militants in ND are better off financially and physically than they were 5 or 6 years ago.
go and figure.
fighting for a just cause my foot!!!
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by mbulela: 12:00pm On Aug 04, 2009
i am tired of repeating myself on this matter.
anyone who believes amnesty will solve the ND issue is deluded and of all men to be most pitied.
the govt will go ahead with this.not because they care for the resolution of the matter but because in the cause of the sharing, their will be a looting bazaar.such expenditures are not probable because they are security related issues.
i don tire.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by mbulela: 12:02pm On Aug 04, 2009
nex:

If we say MEND are not fighting for us, people who know little will open their mouths and shout.

So it is only those who have AK 47s in the NigerDelta that should benefit from the riches of the region?

Where is the demand for resource control? Where is the call for an end to gas flaring? How about roads, schools and other infrastructure? I'm sure they will soon tell government to issue 1 diplomatic passport each to every member of MEND to travel out of the country.

Out of the fullness of the heart, the mouth testifieth.

I know them will review those demands now and add other things when their selfishness has been condemned by all, but the truth is, at the spur of the moment, they revealed their true desires. N3 billion!

Do they even have 10,000 AK47s? So they will order their gun runners to import guns at N50k each and sell them for N300k. My people, I hail una O!

What about us that you have been using and abusing our name all over the world for your freedom terrorism purposes? We can't go any where and boldly say we're Niger Deltans with incurrent thoughts of vandalism, kidnapping, arson, lawlessness, barbarism and theft. And after using us to sell this brand we get nothing? Not even a bush path did they include that the government should construct for us. So we see what the terrorism was all about. All over the world, terrorists want money.

N3 billion cash! Then a three bedroom flat worth an average of N5million each for 10,000 terrorists, thats N50 billion. Altogether, N53 billion. Not one single school? Not one borehole? Not even one of the sites of oil spill cause by MEND vandalism should be cleaned up? Not one rig unflared? Not one of the houses of innocent citizens bombed for MEND's sake to be rebuilt? Not one fish pond constructed for all the unhabitable waters?

Remind me again, what were MEND fighting for? 300 and a 3 bedroom flat each?

gbam.
three gbosas for you!!
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by Ibime(m): 12:04pm On Aug 04, 2009
tubabie:

Care to throw more light on your post please?

Look at the contradiction in the 2 stories. The first one says militants want N3bn, the other one says MEND not interested in meeting Y'Aradua. I quote from Henry Okah:

We are not interested in any direct talks with the President. There are some of us that crave such meetings and those are in the minority and they are doing so for selfish monetary gains. As long as the President gets our message from Timi Alaibe or from the pages of newspapers, meeting him is not as important as the actions he takes to bring about the change every Nigerian now craves for, such as fiscal federalism”.

mbulela:

Rubbish. Prince Harry is not a MEND negotiator. Lazy journalism as usual. Theres been a split in MEND with the Bayelsa faction of Victor Bens militants selling out the struggle for monetary gains. Prince Harry is negotiating for Victor Ben and the Bayelsa boys, not MEND. MEND is only interested in the cause they have stated time and time again - fiscal federalism!

The journalism is so lazy, that to him, this is a N3bn deal, at N300,000 for 10,000 machine guns. What kind of journalism is this?

It is not even worth commenting further on this type of lazy journalism. Those who detract from Niger-Delta agitation would see this as a cause for back-slapping, but until you hear from Okah or Jomo Gbomo himself, all this is rubbish.

If one was stupid, one would be led to believe that the militants risked life and limb to travel to bomb Lagos, just to increase the price of their AK47's from say N100,000 to N300,000.  grin grin grin
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by mbulela: 12:13pm On Aug 04, 2009
bros, all of them na the same.
prince Harry, Okah, victor Ben, Asari, Soboma and Ateke Tom.
there is no ideology (apart from money) in this 'struggle' (please not the inverted commas).
which of them have been able to articulate a solution to the problem?
which of the above named persons or their ilks are poorer in the cause of this 'struggle'?
which of them have not been enriched in the process?
how do they intend maintaining this riches if this 'struggle' ends?
these are questions i will love you to answer.
i repeat, anyone who believes that these militants are fighting for any just cause is delusional (with all due respect).
they are just capitalising on this failed state we call our country.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by mbulela: 12:16pm On Aug 04, 2009
they are all getting richer and building houses all over the ND, while encouraging criminality in their rank and file.
which kind just cause be that?
i beg free me joo.
this amnesty no go work because it is built on a faulty foundation on both sides.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by tubabie(f): 12:19pm On Aug 04, 2009
Ibime:

Look at the contradiction in the 2 stories. The first one says militants want N3bn, the other one says MEND not interested in meeting Y'Aradua. I quote from Henry Okah:

We are not interested in any direct talks with the President. There are some of us that crave such meetings and those are in the minority and they are doing so for selfish monetary gains. As long as the President gets our message from Timi Alaibe or from the pages of newspapers, meeting him is not as important as the actions he takes to bring about the change every Nigerian now craves for, such as fiscal federalism”.

Rubbish. Prince Harry is not a MEND negotiator. Lazy journalism as usual. Theres been a split in MEND with the Bayelsa faction of Victor Bens militants selling out the struggle for monetary gains. Prince Harry is negotiating for Victor Ben and the Bayelsa boys, not MEND. MEND is only interested in the cause they have stated time and time again - fiscal federalism!

The journalism is so lazy, that to him, this is a N3bn deal, at N300,000 for 10,000 machine guns. What kind of journalism is this?

It is not even worth commenting further on this type of lazy journalism. Those who detract from Niger-Delta agitation would see this as a cause for back-slapping, but until you hear from Okah or Jomo Gbomo himself, all this is rubbish.

If one was stupid, one would be led to believe that the militants risked life and limb to travel to bomb Lagos, just to increase the price of their AK47's from say N100,000 to N300,000.  grin grin grin

Hmm, I guess we await Henry Okah or Gbomo's affirmation or denial . Time always tells and this events will play themselves out faster than we think or envisage. Anyway I still reiterate that the Government not give monetary gains to any person or groups of persons.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by shigidi(m): 12:37pm On Aug 04, 2009
this thing will never end. like it or not, what will they do with 3 bedroom flats and no work? where will you give them jobs? how much you go pay them? many youths in MEND are already driving navigators and the like. do you think they will stop for 1,500 a day, and a 3 bedder, bullshit!!!!! if yaradua drops dat money, prepare for more groups springing up.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by nex(m): 12:38pm On Aug 04, 2009
@Ibime

you mean MEND now has factions? This is terrible news for everybody. So not only can they fight the government and cause havoc to the oil companies, they can also fight amongst themselves.

So if this Victor Ben gets N3 billion and 10,000 units of 3 bedroom flats while Gbomo Jomo gets nothing, what happens?
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by nex(m): 12:41pm On Aug 04, 2009
Exclusively for militants and sundry youths.

This war will be brought to an end forever.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by Ibime(m): 12:44pm On Aug 04, 2009
nex:

@Ibime

you mean MEND now has factions? This is terrible news for everybody. So not only can they fight the government and cause havoc to the oil companies, they can also fight amongst themselves.

So if this Victor Ben gets N3 billion and 10,000 units of 3 bedroom flats while Gbomo Jomo gets nothing, what happens?

MEND has never been a unitary body, they just hire different militants to carry out attacks. . . . of course, there are ideological differences. . . the split between some Bayelsa and Delta militant wings is no longer news. . . . theres been rumours of a split since 2008, thats why the spearhead of MEND mostly come from Delta State these days. . . . like I said, just wait till Okah, Gbomo or Asari speak before jumping the gun. . . . every organisation has splits whether its MEND with Okah/Ben or PDP with OBJ/Atiku.  grin
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by PurestBoy(m): 1:21pm On Aug 04, 2009
No wonder the Whites call we Blacks animal, we blacks are animals, I'll continue to say this until the Oyinbo take control again and thats when this phucking country will be better, If the sickened-yet-to-die-president gives them this money, walahi, I'll arrange boiz and form our own militant group.
Re: Amnesty: Militants Demand N3bn For Arms by bizbone(f): 1:34pm On Aug 04, 2009
I read this topic and couldn't help but say that a time is coming when this militans will dictate who the president of this country will be.

What is the use of going to school when you know if you become a militan the you can hold the whole country hostage under the pretend of fighting for a course and at the end of the day demand for 300k AK rifle and an apartment payable within 10years using the FG as collateral.

nigerian as lost alot of money as a result of there damages on the oil sector and still they are demaning for a comfortable life.

i know that the next election will ,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Phcn strike: military Engineers To Take Over Power Plants / Done Deal! The Jagaban Showing Atiku Way To Aso Rock (photo) / 'I Am Unshakable':dino Melaye Mocks Police Over Illegal Arrest(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.