Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife (28357 Views)

Breath-Taking Aerial View Of Roads In Abuja - Photos / Is This A True Reflection Of Ado-Ekiti Roads, Ekiti State? / Olumo Rock: What No One Told You About Th Ancient Rock (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Cybertext(m): 9:23am On Apr 17, 2016
ireneony:
The great son of Benin kingdom oduduwa created ile- ife cool
There is one oba in the world grin oba of the Benin kingdom and others

This your lie na season wetin??

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by superstar1(m): 9:25am On Apr 17, 2016
Proudly Yoruba.

Ile-Ife is our Jerusalem, Mecca and Medina - spiritual home.

Oyo is our administrative home.

Ibadan is our military Headquarter.

Haters can hug 5000kva transformer under a heavy rain.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by anonimi: 9:26am On Apr 17, 2016
flimzy24:
very beautiful...at least dis could b used in road construction in modern day rural communities

It would depend on how much WEIGHT is expected to be carried on such roads (even in the rurral communities).
Lorries will need to be prohibited completely, maybe even cars.
The big question is are we LAW abiding enough as a people to obey scrupulously such mutually BENEFICIAL prohibitions
We should be preserving, restoring and RE-CREATING such old world achievements here to REMIND us of what our own capacities as a people was and INSPIRE our current generation to greatness, don't you think

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2920815_fbimg1443594726987_jpegc00071cb2902eb1726fe8107c3b2dbb6

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by INTERMAN: 9:27am On Apr 17, 2016
Omotayor123:
Wow!!!
sharap! Great ife is not ILE IFE! Great Ife is obafemi Awolowo University. You hear!

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by TheSociopath(m): 9:29am On Apr 17, 2016
ireneony:

A fallacy. You're not well versed in Nigerian tribal histories and I've seen you making some disparaging comments about the Yorubas too often. Take a chill pill

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by sunkoye: 9:32am On Apr 17, 2016
ireneony:
may the ancient spirit ask u how far about this intentional distortion. .... tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by INTERMAN: 9:33am On Apr 17, 2016
kaykay010:
Great ife
sharap! Great ife is not ILE IFE! Great Ife is obafemi Awolowo University. You hear!
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Nobody: 9:38am On Apr 17, 2016
Beautiful Art, Beautiful Culture, Beautiful People.
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by SirShymexx: 9:55am On Apr 17, 2016
With a culture/history/tradition/civilisation as rich as this - why they had to pick a clown to be the custodian of something as great as this will always be a mystery to me.

Anyway, we need more Yoruba archaeologists and anthropologists to excavate most parts of Ife cos a lot of history is wasting away beneath the earth surface there.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Gracito(f): 10:10am On Apr 17, 2016
YonkijiSappo:
Wow...Interesting.
What the Yorubas and the Binis achieved in pre-colonial Nigeria are simply exceptional!
I'm telling you. They are really awesome. I just love reading about them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Gracito(f): 10:10am On Apr 17, 2016
YonkijiSappo:
Wow...Interesting.
What the Yorubas and the Binis achieved in pre-colonial Nigeria are simply exceptional!
I'm telling you. They are really awesome. I just love reading about them and the most fascinating thing is that I learn more each time.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by musicwriter(m): 10:27am On Apr 17, 2016
This story it absolutely true!. It was also independently corroborated by the Dutch in the 1800's when they visited Benin empire- neighbors to Ife and Oyo.

When the Dutch first arrived Benin kingdom in Nigeria they were so shocked about the rate of development they saw over here, so much that their expedition leader had to report back to Europe saying thus
''The town seem to be very great. When you enter into it you go into a great broad street, well paved, which seems to be seven or eight times broader than the Warmoes street in Amsterdam.

The king’s palace is a collection of buildings which occupy as much space as the town of Harlem, and which is enclosed with walls. There are numerous apartments for the Prince’s ministers and fine galleries, most of which are as big as those on the exchange at Amsterdam. They are supported by wooden pillars encased with copper, where their victories are depicted, and which are carefully kept very clean.

The town is composed of thirty main streets, very straight and 120 feet wide, apart from an infinity of small intersecting streets. The houses are close to one another, arranged in good order. These people are in no way inferior to the Dutch. They wash and scrub their houses so well that they are polished and shinning like glass''.

Above quote is from the book ''how Europe underdeveloped Africa'' by Dr. Walter Rodney.

And this scenario wasn't peculiar to Benin Kingdom. The Ashanti king in ancient Ghana kingdom was so rich that his official seat was made of REAL gold.

Africa was extremely very prosperous before Europe made contact with us. Igbos on the eastern side also already developed an advanced system of education and writing system called Nsibidi. All these we lost due to slavery and colonialism.

I captured this in a song called ''hey west''. Check it out on iTunes, amazon, or other digital music stores. This's a song that would've enlightened the African people, unfortunately, our radio stations and OAPs wouldn't just play it since I' am an independent musician not on a record label.

6 Likes

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by aleem50(m): 10:29am On Apr 17, 2016
Gracito:
I'm telling you. They are really awesome. I just love reading about them and the most fascinating thing is that I learn more each time.
will you marry me ? A true Yoruba son .
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by tdayof(m): 10:29am On Apr 17, 2016
anonimi:

Written, documented, widely circulated and continuously RESEARCHED by who please?
Yorubas
I doubt!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855735_twooptionswallpaper10579600_jpeg618d634ba6258d93161d282181afdc68
do me a favour please...
Gerarahere.
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by tdayof(m): 10:31am On Apr 17, 2016
superstar1:
Proudly Yoruba.

titi gbososa for you.... we also own the largest amount of twins in the world..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by iamNifemi(m): 10:44am On Apr 17, 2016
ireneony:
soro ni eleyi ni gboro enu. u better go collect jamb, choose History as most preferred course and learn what you don't know about your own very land of nativity. tokfiakwa

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by anonimi: 11:21am On Apr 17, 2016
helphelp:
Na road short like that

It is only a SECTION of the road.

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:26am On Apr 17, 2016
ireneony:

Tales by moonlight.

The ancestors of the Oba of Benin were Yorubas. At the height of Benin Empire's glory, Yoruba was the official palace language! Besides, Benin never had an empire until a Yoruba prince came to rule it. The Ogiso was a village chief, not an emperor! So show much respect to the Yorubas.

Kindest Regards. grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:32am On Apr 17, 2016
YonkijiSappo:
Wow...Interesting.

Ooh, so true!

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by ireneony(f): 11:51am On Apr 17, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

Tales by moonlight.

The ancestors of the Oba of Benin were Yorubas. At the height of Benin Empire's glory, Yoruba was the official palace language! Besides, Benin never had an empire until a Yoruba prince came to rule it. The Ogiso was a village chief, not an emperor! So show much respect to the Yorubas.

Kindest Regards. grin
liar! Go and read your history grin

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Praktikals(m): 12:00pm On Apr 17, 2016
ireneony:
Dream on, sis.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Praktikals(m): 12:17pm On Apr 17, 2016
dacovajnr:
Iru oro katikati wo re bayi? undecided
I tire o
grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin
grin grin
grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Praktikals(m): 12:26pm On Apr 17, 2016
superstar1:

Proud 'son of the source' spotted.

superstar1:

gringringringrin
gringringrin
gringrin
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Rossikki: 12:29pm On Apr 17, 2016
What the hell is this thread doing in the 'Travel' section? It should be in the culture or politics section. Better yet, in a History section created by sensible site runners. But no. They're too busy creating 'celebrity' section and 'ogogoro drinking' section.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Praktikals(m): 12:33pm On Apr 17, 2016
SirShymexx:
With a culture/history/tradition/civilisation as rich as this - why they had to pick a clown to be the custodian of something as great as this will always be a mystery to me.

Sir, who are you referring to as a clown?
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Rossikki: 12:37pm On Apr 17, 2016
Come to think of it, ALL our roads would have been paved to perfection by now if those ancients had been left alone to continue developing their societies. Colonialism and slavery set us back badly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by lukkie(m): 12:59pm On Apr 17, 2016
This is extraordinary, considering the so-called backwardness of that time.
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by baby124: 1:14pm On Apr 17, 2016
Well they "discovered" Yoruba's quite well clothed and organized. I don't think they were ever considered them as primitive. This is impressive though even at that. Especially the stone layout and consistency of its placement. I am sure a gold mine of discoveries is sitting under ancient Yoruba towns like Ife, Ibadan and the rest.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by justwise(m): 1:15pm On Apr 17, 2016
Rossikki:
Come to think of it, ALL our roads would have been paved to perfection by now if those ancients had been left alone to continue developing their societies. Colonialism and slavery set us back badly.

That is just an excuse, since independent what have we done with our resource?
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by GodMode: 1:29pm On Apr 17, 2016
K

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by justwise(m): 1:35pm On Apr 17, 2016
GodMode:

Yorubas completed cocoa house in 1972. The entire southern Nigeria was booming. Until when some greedy southerners decided to start a civil war so that a minority tribe (ijaws) won't be richer than them.

Do u know what the yoruba would have done with oil money if delta state wasn't removed SW geopolitical zone?

All that is history, what have we done with our current resources that is my question or are we going to keep living in the past?
Re: The Ancient Paved Roads Of Ife by Omotayor123(f): 2:12pm On Apr 17, 2016
INTERMAN:
Excuse me, I think you quote the wrong person! undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

26-Year-Old Corper Sanni Mariam, Passengers, Driver Die In Imo Road Accident / VIO Cameras On Lagos Roads Catch Traffic Rules Breakers / UAE Backs Down, Concedes Seven Flight Slots To Air Peace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.