Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! (211971 Views)

Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts / Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? / Nigerian Appreciates Woman For The Visa To America She Granted Him 32 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 8:11am On May 04, 2016
Job Opportunities for Nigerians.

I have met Nigerians who are making good headway in many areas-some as salary earners-others as wage earners.

1) Airline employees: Not necessarily as a pilot or air hostess-but jobs at the airport. I met a guy who works with Delta airline as luggage handler or something.Part of the benefits is free/discounted plane tickets.

2) Nurses/Nursing Assistants/Registered Nurses

3) Taxi Drivers. Many Nigerians in this area-say they like it-as they can make money and daily. Though its tough in some areas. Uber is seriously changing the business though.

4) Landscapping Business: A guy I met earns close to $4000 as his salary a month handling various properties. Lawn care during summer-snow removal in winter. He started part time handling his neighbours lawns. He turned it into business -getting dozens of contracts-some long term. He now has employees

5) Contractors: Most contractors I have seen around seem to be white. But I met a Nigerian -who has his own contract business and builds houses for people. The average house he builds is about $300,000. Im not sure-what his profit ratio is-but he is living very very well. His own house is a wonder to behold in the midst of most American houses that look alike.

6) I have also meet a several educators-teachers and University Professor. Was suprised-as I thought their accent would prevent such jobs-but no-they are thriving as teachers. Some of them are even tenured (meaning they can never be sacked).

7) A lot of Nigerians start as workers in nursing homes caring for the old and invalid. The pay is good-though the work is hard. I met a Nigerian who has his own nursing home. He has over 20 workers (mostly Africans) and even employs RNs. The USA medicad and health system ensures that such businesses can make millions of dollars as government and the insurance take care of many elderly and sick people.

cool Many Nigerians start with entry level jobs. Many work at stores like Walmart and some at production companies. The pay starts from like $9 to $12 per hour. Also saw many at Mcdonalds and fast food joints. Pay here is very low-but for most its a starting point. Was talking to a Mexican manager of a Mcdonalds and discovered that his a boss is a Nigerian. The Nigerian started as a worker and after his degree-the owner (who also owns several Mcdonalds) -made him is overall Manager.

9) IT and Computer. Meet a Nigerian who came here on student visa. He is now an IT Manager -with a Fortune 500 company.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Solitin40: 10:08am On May 04, 2016
tpiadotcom:
were you contracted for what you're doing?

ie all these pictures.

I'd shut down the thread if I were the site owner.

You can open a blog to showcase your journeys you know.
{Delete}

13 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by travy: 10:37am On May 04, 2016
jwillng:
If Police stops you. Put your hands on the steering, respect them and 99.9% of the time...no wahala!

I sent you an email. Please reply.

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 11:14am On May 04, 2016
jwillng, Pls my hubby is very very interested in moving to the US, but he doesnt know how to. Can u please reach him or send ur email so u guys can talk..I will really appreciate it. God bless u. Looking forward to ur response
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Originalsly: 1:41pm On May 04, 2016
jwillng:

cool Many Nigerians start with entry level jobs. Many work at stores like Walmart and some at production companies. The pay starts from like $9 to $12 per hour. Also saw many at Mcdonalds and fast food joints. Pay here is very low-but for most its a starting point.
Ha!...and I thought all those ones returning home had executive positions!...at least so they act... forming upon forming! No pics of them?! Is all good posting this... for ones whose pride and ego would prevent them from doing low level jobs.... the level where most start from despite their academic qualifications.

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by kingsilly(m): 2:24pm On May 04, 2016
jwillng:
If Police stops you. Put your hands on the steering, respect them and 99.9% of the time...no wahala!

I also sent you an email, do reply
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 2:44pm On May 04, 2016
Originalsly:
Ha!...and I thought all those ones returning home had executive positions!...at least so they act... forming upon forming! No pics of them?! Is all good posting this... for ones whose pride and ego would prevent them from doing low level jobs.... the level where most start from despite their academic qualifications.

Its not like that sir. There is dignity in labor. Work here is far different from work at home. Here you work for every hour you are paid and you are paid for every hour you work. There is no-Oga cannot pay salary-governor is paying half salary or you sneak away from work or do something else while you work-nor is there Oga has not gone home-we have to wait for him. Any extra minute you work you get paid.
Nothing bad in working at walmart -when your pay in naira time is close to N500k per month. If you have worked for several months or several years and decided to visit Naija-on a salary of 500k per month with all the attended benefits of living in America-yes you can act like an executive!
Moreseo-most Nigerians only use these jobs as starting positions. I am not aware of any Nigerian who has been here for many years and is still doing a $9 per hour job (anyway I hear minimum wage will soon be $15 and it is already $15 in some States), $15 per hour for wage earners is fast approaching N1 million per month salary.
When you factor in these kind of wages in naira terms combined with quality of living-access to credit-you cant blame those who act like executives. With my degree and years of work-how much am I earning in Nigeria? What is the neighbourhood where I live in Lagos like-no water flowing ( we have our own borehole), no 24/7 light (we have our own generator), no police to respond in 2 minutes (in fact they will only come hours after the robbers or kidnappers have left) and its been years since my street has been repaired.
Most Nigerians usually add to the degrees when they get here and earn even more.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 2:45pm On May 04, 2016
kingsilly:

I also sent you an email, do reply

Will check now!
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 2:45pm On May 04, 2016
Solitin40:

Are u blind or u can't read English i can see that you are a devil a moderator even said that he love this page must u talk ok will have noticed you

smiley
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by oneniceguy(m): 2:47pm On May 04, 2016
[quote author=jwillng post=45307232]

bro, please I sent you a PM. kindly reply.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by oneniceguy(m): 2:50pm On May 04, 2016
jwillng:

Ok-have mailed him.

Bro, please I sent you a PM. kindly reply.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 3:27pm On May 04, 2016
oneniceguy:

Bro, please I sent you a PM. kindly reply.

I replied.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 04, 2016
jwillng:
A library I visited. Built about 40 years ago-at a cost of of $800k-an expansion is built close by for about 23 Million dollars. This got me thinking $23 Million for a library-after building one 40 years before for $800k-definitely means the community and government has seen the benefits of having a library. I also learnt that community meetings were called before the County embarked on the new expansion. If Nigeria is to get to where we need to be, we must rapidly acquire knowledge. In my entire life in Nigeria, aside from University and secondary school-I only went to a public library twice. These libraries I have visited here in the USA are filled with old and young.
Nice pics there.

One of the first things I did here, after receiving my green card, was to get a library card. The city governments in California are responsible for setting up the public libraries.

Another cool thing in CA is that a Library card purchased from one city can be used in another city's library, provided that both cities are within the same county. So, if u move from city A to city B within the same county, your city A library card will still be valid for use in city B.

On the $23 million cost, remember that the cost of labor is higher here than in Nigeria. I would expect the building to cost $2 million or less in Nigeria (without contract inflation).

3 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 5:27pm On May 04, 2016
Received my sample ballot info

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by doyinisaac(m): 5:46pm On May 04, 2016
smiley I will join you guys soon...

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 5:48pm On May 04, 2016
Who has an idea of where I can write TOEFL?
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by falopey: 5:52pm On May 04, 2016
jwillng:

Are you still in Miami? I must visit there one day!
Now in Baltimore. When you get to Miami, endeavor to visit Miami Beach. That's the name. It's a beach city. Its a memorable experience spending time there. I enjoyed it.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 6:19pm On May 04, 2016
CFCman:

Who are you voting for?
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 6:22pm On May 04, 2016
falopey:

Now in Baltimore. When you get to Miami, endeavor to visit Miami Beach. That's the name. It's a beach city. Its a memorable experience spending time there. I enjoyed it.

Baltimore-thats Maryland?

I will remember your recommendation-thanks!

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 6:28pm On May 04, 2016
jwillng:

Who are you voting for?
Hillary
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by kingsilly(m): 11:02pm On May 04, 2016
CFCman:

Hillary

2 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by rydow(m): 12:16am On May 05, 2016
jwillng:

Will check now!

I PM you now bro, Please kindly reply.

Thanks
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Opoki(m): 1:05am On May 05, 2016
claremont:
A very good article, and I recommend that Justwise pushes this to front page. What is written about is applicable in most developed economies. In the UK, some MPs (equivalent of Nigerian Senators) ride bicycles to their offices. In Nigeria, having a big car is a reflection of societal status.
CC: Dino Melaye

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by nellaluv(f): 6:33pm On May 05, 2016
@ jwillng, I sent you a mail please reply thanks.

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 11:13pm On May 05, 2016
nellaluv:
@ jwillng, I sent you a mail please reply thanks.

Replied.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by gunther6(m): 11:14pm On May 05, 2016
CFCman:

Vote for Bernie
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by lakesidepapa(m): 1:34pm On May 06, 2016
Bernie ? Have they concluded the primary election? And I guess the poll is between two parties?

gunther6:

Vote for Bernie

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (38) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 / Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou / Poland Work Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.