Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,116 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! (211976 Views)

Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts / Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? / Nigerian Appreciates Woman For The Visa To America She Granted Him 32 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 5:08pm On Apr 22, 2016
jossymama:
Am happy to hear this men u mk my day

grin

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 5:09pm On Apr 22, 2016
jwillng:

No allow am run you craze o! Nigeria na real school of learning and experience. If you can survive Nigeria-you are a 1st class human being!
thanks for your words of wisdom bros. but e no go complete if you no show me way way to leave this dungeon; at least to wash down the advice. grin grin grin

No vex say I dey persistent na just say na how I feel.
Abeg bling my email or drop urs boss
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by coolbreeze44: 5:10pm On Apr 22, 2016
jwillng:

Thats nice. Are you a resident or just visiting?

What city?

Send me details and I will do my best to make it.
I am visiting. The venue is John Lopez studio, 19493 Railway Street, Lemmon South Dakota.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 5:16pm On Apr 22, 2016
Timflex:
thanks for your words of wisdom bros. but e no go complete if you no show me way way to leave this dungeon; at least to wash down the advice. grin grin grin

No vex say I dey persistent na just say na how I feel.
Abeg bling my email or drop urs boss

No yawa! Me must all make it.

PM and I ll reply.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 5:17pm On Apr 22, 2016
coolbreeze44:
I am visiting. The venue is John Lopez studio, 19493 Railway Street, Lemmon South Dakota.

Ok. Thats really far to drive from where Im based (14 hours there and back). But Im on the road a lot-so who knows-I may just show up.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 22, 2016
OP, Welcome to the US. Most of your observations are spot-on, especially the church-going part and work.

-If you clock-in for work, you must be actually working. No time for dulling or chatting on the phone except during your lunch, or break. For minimum wage workers, lunch usually lasts for 30 mins if the shift is more than 5 hours. Breaks last for 15 minutes.

-Salaried workers get 1hr+ for lunch, in addition to breaks.

-I'd go out on a limb and say only 30% of people in my county go to church on Sundays. There is no traffic on the freeways on Sunday mornings. And I also noticed there are no billboards advertising a church.

-In the US, if your home electronic appliances develop a fault, it's cheaper and more convenient to buy a new one.

-I'm yet to see a cobbler (shoe maker) here. If there is a tear in your shoe or sandal, you simply by a new one.

-California law mandates restaurants to serve a free plastic cup of water to anyone that requests for it.

-No one can be tried twice for the same crime, due to the American constitution's prohibition of "double jeopardy".

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by itstpia8: 6:05pm On Apr 22, 2016
CFCman:

-California law mandates restaurants to serve a free plastic cup of water to anyone that requests for it.

That was an issue here in nairaland at some point.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 6:26pm On Apr 22, 2016
itstpia8:

That was an issue here in nairaland at some point.
Really?
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by coolbreeze44: 6:50pm On Apr 22, 2016
jwillng:

Ok. Thats really far to drive from where Im based (14 hours there and back). But Im on the road a lot-so who knows-I may just show up.
oooh, I never knew South Dakota is that big,no problem! I will keep you posted though.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 22, 2016
CFCman:

-In the US, if your home electronic appliances develop a fault, it's cheaper and more convenient to buy a new one.

-I'm yet to see a cobbler (shoe maker) here. If there is a tear in your shoe or sandal, you simply by a new one.

you are yet to see a cobbler? Have you seen super glue? Thanks for this info, if I ever come there_ I would come with my cobbling tools.

I hate repairing home electronic appliances. My younger sister spoilt my blender, took it for repair, tried using it today_ no response, had to pound my tomatoes. I am just gonna get a new one... I shouldn't have bothered repairing it at first.

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by itstpia8: 6:58pm On Apr 22, 2016
CFCman:

Really?

yes, someone was complaining about it.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 6:58pm On Apr 22, 2016
jwillng:

No yawa! Me must all make it.

PM and I ll reply.
pm sent. Thanks bro
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 7:01pm On Apr 22, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

you are yet to see a cobbler? Have you seen super glue? Thanks for this info, if I ever come there_ I would come with my cobbling tools.

I hate repairing home electronic appliances. My younger sister spoilt my blender, took it for repair, tried using it today_ no response, had to pound my tomatoes. I am just gonna get a new one... I shouldn't have bothered repairing it at first.
Lol
You can come with your cobbling tools. I buy super-glue though
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 7:01pm On Apr 22, 2016
itstpia8:

yes, someone was complaining about it.
I don't mind the free water o grin
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by itstpia8: 7:06pm On Apr 22, 2016
CFCman:

I don't mind the free water o grin

Everything is upside down these days jare, who knows what is being concocted at any point in time.

Today, it is water things, tomorrow it could be something else.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 7:52pm On Apr 22, 2016
coolbreeze44:
oooh, I never knew South Dakota is that big,no problem! I will keep you posted though.

America is big o!

South Dakota (77,184 mi²) is about one quarter the size of Nigeria ( 356,669 mi²) with just about 0.5% the population. 853,175 compared to 178,000,000. Thats like the size of Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ondo, Ekiti, Kwara, Kogi, Edo, Delta.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 7:54pm On Apr 22, 2016
CFCman:
OP, Welcome to the US. Most of your observations are spot-on, especially the church-going part and work.

-If you clock-in for work, you must be actually working. No time for dulling or chatting on the phone except during your lunch, or break. For minimum wage workers, lunch usually lasts for 30 mins if the shift is more than 5 hours. Breaks last for 15 minutes.

-Salaried workers get 1hr+ for lunch, in addition to breaks.

-I'd go out on a limb and say only 30% of people in my county go to church on Sundays. There is no traffic on the freeways on Sunday mornings. And I also noticed there are no billboards advertising a church.

-No one can be tried twice for the same crime, due to the American constitution's prohibition of "double jeopardy".

Interesting.

You are right. I have been getting some free and cheap electronics myself. If my landlord wife-Mama Comfort ask wetin I bring am-i fit dash am one of them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 7:59pm On Apr 22, 2016
jwillng:

Interesting.

You are right. I have been getting some free and cheap electronics myself. If my landlord wife-Mama Comfort ask wetin I bring am-i fit dash am one of them.
cheesy cheesy
bad guy

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 8:02pm On Apr 22, 2016
jwillng:

America is big o!

South Dakota (77,184 mi²) is about one quarter the size of Nigeria ( 356,669 mi²) with just about 0.5% the population. 853,175 compared to 178,000,000. Thats like the size of Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ondo, Ekiti, Kwara, Kogi, Edo, Delta.

I tell you. This America is HUGE. It's about 10 times the landmass of Nigeria. California, which is 40x the landmass of Lagos, is only more populous than Lagos by 19 million people.
Lagos's population is around 20 million, California contains 39 million.

3 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by 4nobody4every1: 8:14pm On Apr 22, 2016
Nice@ Op cool
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by musicwriter(m): 8:31pm On Apr 22, 2016
@jwillng

Obasanjo, GEJ, Buhari have all been to America many times-why can they not copy what is done in America.

Because, the system of education we run in Africa is still the same we inherited from colonial Britain. The education was originally meant to keep us dumb, unfortunately, it's still achieving it's purpose. It only allow the creation of follow-follow leaders and follow-follow citizens. So, we see airplanes fly and we even enter it, but we don't want to know how it was made. We see ships travel on water, but we don't care how it was built. All we want is buy the latest Prado jeeps, but we don't care about how it was made.

Our education system disables the African mind to want to explore scientifically, and it was intentionally made that way by Britain. Same for Francophone African countries.

Africa cannot develop until education is restructured and science taught in our native languages across Africa to enable children have inquisitive minds; like start building robots even from primary schools.

Africa cannot develop without investment in grassroots science.

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 8:43pm On Apr 22, 2016
- Here, in the US, public colleges and universities are required by law to make their campuses voter-registration areas. In fact, my alma mater was a polling unit in the 2012 elections.

- Smoking is generally prohibited in restaurants

- Presidential nominees only campaign in 8-11 states during the general election. Those states are referred to as "swing states".

- In most states, patrons cannot touch strippers. Only handshakes/hugs are allowed. Most counties/cities and states go to the extent of legislating the type of outfits strippers should wear on the job.

- The federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour. Some states (and cities) have a higher minimum wage. California's minimum wage is presently $10/hour, which will increase to $15/hour in 6 years time.

- Full time work, in general, is no less than 40hrs per week. It would surprise you to know that some highly skilled professionals such as lawyers, doctors, investment bankers etc work up to 60 hours per week.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by MhzPearlT(f): 8:46pm On Apr 22, 2016
jwillng:
Finally I experienced America for myself and even tasted Canada-double blessing! Ol boy...no let anyone lie to you....na this place be the place! Anyone wey tell you say make you NO come America, thunder go fire that person! Buhari! Buhari! Buhari! How many times did I call your name? You sef don go America o and you see how e bi! We need Change!

America is not just good, IT IS EXCELLENT. I now understand that all those that used to tell me not to waste my time coming to America fall into either of two categories:

a) Those who had already been to America and could not go back again either because they were deported or for some other reason.

b) Those already in America or having access to America but for some funny reason kept saying all the 'bad' reasons why America was a no go. Yet they have either been in America with no plans to come back or constantly go there.

Anyway, I finally got here.

I was a on a thread on this same Nairaland about 2 years ago and read about how Nigerians could make it in America. Cant remember the thread now, but I contacted the OP and got some info from him. Fast forward to 2016 and Im in Yankee.

Not like life in Naija was that bad, but connecting to America has made all the difference and making dollars these days is sweet!

These are some pics of my road trip through Middle America on my way to Canada.

The USA was everything I expected, but Canada was completely different. That place is so big and deserted. There are places where just 5 people live in an area the size of Lagos State and places as big as Nigeria where there is not a single soul. It seems like 90% of the people in Canada live in just 3 or 4 of the cities.

This is already my second trip as I have been opening a nice business venture with some contacts in Yankee.

Some Facts About America I Saw.

1) Forgot about much of what you have heard-everyone is equal in America. Before I travelled, I remember one American returnee telling us that there are some places in Washington where black people cannot go –that any black man who goes there will be killed and police will not come. He was telling us with so much authority –no one could query him. Its lie. The only place you cannot go is people’s private property. People may not like you or greet you-but no one can stop you. Even Obama cannot slap his gateman. Here in Nigeria-the President can kill his gateway-no questions asked.
2) Roads spoil here too-but unlike in Naija, repairs are done EVERY year. In fact this is the road repairing season in the area where I am now. Every year between Spring and September-billions of dollars are awared to companies to repair roads. EVERY YEAR O! Whether it is Democratic that wins elections or Republican.
3) I travelled alone on the the expressway to Canada for almost 9 hours and on various roads through mid America-no police checkpoint, no armed robbers or highway robbers.
4) Armed Invasion as they call it here or armed robbers entering the house is rare here. In fact one of the people I visited who has lived here for 10 years-said in the entire State-he only remembers 4 or 5 cases of home invasion in the last 7 years. Yes there are killers and rapists and bank robbers –but peoples homes are their kingdoms and is respected. And not only can one not tell who has guns at home-the Police are always just 2 to 5 minutes away.
5) If you are a black man and respect yourself-no one will trouble you. I did not encounter one act of racism or anyone looking down on me. I dressed properly, obeyed their laws and paid my money. Yes there is racism- just like there is tribalism in Nigeria. Police even stopped me and said good evening sir-do you know why I stopped you? Very polite and I respected him too. .
6) Very few Americans desire to be rich or Millionaires-as long as they have a job, a place to live –they are happy working Monday to Friday and partying during the weekend or going to the stadium or cinema.
7) People don’t seem to go to Church –a lot here. There are many churches-but seems on the Sundays I have been here-so many people are at home or watching a game.
cool People work hard here o. If your job is 8 hours, you must work that 8 hours. No body is paid to do nothing. Even if you are gateman and no car is coming to the compound that day-you cannot sleep or play around-you must be on watch.
9) Car is nothing here. Yes –there are expensive cars and cheap cars-but having a car is not a sign of “ you have made it” . You cannot oppress any girl by stopping on the road and offering her a ride. While even cleaners can drive nice cars here, some millionaires in cities like New York don’t have cars-they use the train system.
10) You cannot use money to oppress people here. Come and see millionires and politicians and famous people walking on the road in New York. Having a car or house/nice flat is not a luxury-it’s a neccesity.
11) Nigerians in America work harder than Americans here. Come and see people with 3 jobs.
12) Nigerians have more education overall then Americans. Come and see old mama and papa going back to University in America even after working 10 to 20 years or more in Nigeria.
13) Hotel prices change here from day to day and they are cheaper than in Nigeria. The same hotel I would pay 40k for in Nigeria is like 15k here before the naira fell. The price can be $60 today and $90 another day and $70 another day. The key is to book at the right time.
14) There are many lazy people here who refuse to work. Government gives them money every week and subsidized flats. And instead of planning there lives, they play and drink and waste their money.
15) People save here like crazy. Even ordinary factory workers with just secondary school education can save up to the equivalent of N100 million in the course of 30 to 45 years. The saving is meticolous through what they call 401k (a pension system). So while they are not rich-they have enough saved for retirement.
16) There are speed limits on all roads and highway. If you go more than 9mph above it -you will be given a fine or may even be arrested. Most expressways are 60mph to 70mph. Police are usually hiding in one corner waiting to catch people who travel too fast. I was caught o. Thank God -I had cash with me-because if you dont live in that State-they will arrest you if you cant pay on the spot. If you live in that state -they will give you a ticket and you can pay later. I had to pay about $120!
17) Obasanjo, GEJ, Buhari have all been to America many times-why can they not copy what is done in America.

-Sorry-I dont have my best pics here.

These few are of my road trip across mid America to Canada. I passed by Wisconsin Dells-the largest water park in America.
I also stopped at a Rest Area! You cant imagine. Government built hundreds of Rest Areas all across the expressways of America where people can park-rest, eat and sleep. No armed robber-the toilet is cleaner than Aso Rock-very spacious. In fact if Buhari cannot do it in Nigeria-I need to build such and charge people.

I stayed in an average hotel on one of my trips. that in my opinion is as good as Sheraton in Ikeja-yet in Sheraton they will charge like 90k and this room was barely 20k.

Please I will want to contact you privately.I want to use same means to travel but need to make some enquires from you.Thanks

Your email address or mobile number would be appreciated.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 8:59pm On Apr 22, 2016
MhzPearlT:

Please I will want to contact you privately.I want to use same means to travel but need to make some enquires from you.Thanks

Your email address or mobile number would be appreciated.
PM me through the Nairaland System and I ll reply

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 9:00pm On Apr 22, 2016
CFCman:
- Here, in the US, public colleges and universities are required by law to make their campuses voter-registration areas. In fact, my alma mater was a polling unit in the 2012 elections.

- Smoking is generally prohibited in restaurants

- Presidential nominees only campaign in 8-11 states during the general election. Those states are referred to as "swing states".

- In most states, patrons cannot touch strippers. Only handshakes/hugs are allowed. Most counties/cities and states go to the extent of legislating the type of outfits strippers should wear on the job.

- The federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour. Some states (and cities) have a higher minimum wage. California's minimum wage is presently $10/hour, which will increase to $15/hour in 6 years time.

- Full time work, in general, is no less than 40hrs per week. It would surprise you to know that some highly skilled professionals such as lawyers, doctors, investment bankers etc work up to 60 hours per week.

Strippers!!! grin

I think California is where @mikkyangel is- i need to go and bow to the boss!
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 9:01pm On Apr 22, 2016
musicwriter:
@jwillng

Because, the system of education we run in Africa is still the same we inherited from colonial Britain. The education was originally meant to keep us dumb, unfortunately, it's still achieving it's purpose. It only allow the creation of follow-follow leaders and follow-follow citizens. So, we see airplanes fly and we even enter it, but we don't want to know how it was made. We see ships travel on water, but we don't care how it was built. All we want is buy the latest Prado jeeps, but we don't care about how it was made.

Our education system disables the African mind to want to explore scientifically, and it was intentionally made that way by Britain. Same for Francophone African countries.

Africa cannot develop until education is restructured and science taught in our native languages across Africa to enable children have inquisitive minds; like start building robots even from primary schools.

Africa cannot develop without investment in grassroots science.

You know I never considered that angle. Interesting "Education designed to keep people dumb"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 9:13pm On Apr 22, 2016
4nobody4every1:
Nice@ Op cool

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by musicwriter(m): 9:14pm On Apr 22, 2016
jwilng:

You know I never considered that angle. Interesting "Education designed to keep people dumb"

Yes, that's absolutely, true!. In the 1920's the French were the first to perfect it. They created an elite Algerians called ''Monsieur Oui Oui", which translates in English as "Mr. Yes Yes". That's how the French used to mock educated Algerians, because they were schooled never to argue with the master (France). All they could do is "say yes" no matter the instruction.

This's the reason Lord Kwame Nkrumah after looking at education in Africa said ''western education is a fraud". Unfortunately, nothing have changed.

6 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Pennsylvania: 9:33pm On Apr 22, 2016
jwillng:

Thanks!

Congrat bro! Tried sending u a PM
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by LUCAS99: 10:05pm On Apr 22, 2016
CFCman:

Did you check Dry cleaning stores? Dry cleaning stores in my state are mostly operated by Asians and Mexicans. Most stores run by Mexicans do offer shoe repair services. So if there is a tear in your shoe you can take it to them and they can fix it.

True. When my dell laptop charger developed a minor fault, I tried looking for a repair shop but I could not find any. I also checked at a pawn shop but they do not sell laptop charger separately. I tried watching some YouTube videos but I still couldn’t fix it. I just gave up and ended up paying almost $50 for a new dell laptop charger.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 10:08pm On Apr 22, 2016
LUCAS99:

Did you check Dry cleaning stores? Dry cleaning stores in my state are mostly operated by Asians and Mexicans. Most stores run by Mexicans do offer shoe repair services. So if there is a tear in your shoe you can take it to them and they can fix it.

True. When my dell laptop charger developed a minor fault, I tried looking for a repair shop but I could not find any. I also checked at a pawn shop but they do not sell laptop charger separately. I tried watching some YouTube videos but I still couldn’t fix it. I just gave up and ended up paying almost $50 for a new dell laptop charger.
Okay.

You can imagine the inconvenience of shelling out $50 for a new charger.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 10:18pm On Apr 22, 2016
CFCman:

Okay.

You can imagine the inconvenience of shelling out $50 for a new charger.

E be like you go dey stingy o... angry

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 / Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou / Poland Work Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.