Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:41 AM

I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! (211948 Views)

Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts / Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? / Nigerian Appreciates Woman For The Visa To America She Granted Him 32 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by chiboy429(m): 6:14am On Apr 25, 2016
jwillng:

God will bless your hustle bro. I will have it ready this weekend.

alright sire. Keep it rolling
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by SmartMugu: 6:19am On Apr 25, 2016
SnakeDoctor2020:
Don't mind that smartmugu guy, i really don't know what kind of life you are living in US but as for me, i am very comfortable here.
Glad ure comfortable. I am too. I love to see everyone doing well. You asked about what kind of life I'm living here, all I can say is most likely way better than you can dream of. I'm probably someone you know, but I'm smartmugu here on NL.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by lionlee216(m): 6:23am On Apr 25, 2016
SmartMugu:

Glad ure comfortable. I am too. I love to see everyone doing well. You asked about what kind of live I'm living here, all I can say is most likely way better than you can dream of. I'm probably someone you know, but I'm smartmugu here on NL.

Your responses so far are matured. I guess You dont frequent politics section where they attack anyhow lol

27 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by maternal: 6:50am On Apr 25, 2016
SmartMugu:

There is nothing biased about my comments. Both Canada and the US are great places to live. I have been living in the US for a long time now and really don't see myself living in Nigeria any time soon with the bad news everyone reads about Nigeria everyday here on NL. It appears nothing really works back there anymore. I probably won't fit in anymore until after spending a good amount of time in Nigeria again. Rather, I'd just visit every year or so.

Back to your points on costs of living, I live in Atlanta, Georgia, and have been paying $1200 per month on mortgage for my house for the past 5 years. That is $14,400 per year. With that amount, some folks could be landlords in Nigeria. Ask around about this city, I know some folks paying about $1600 - $3000 per month on rent or mortgage in different areas of the US, so I don't see anything biased about this comment.
You can actually check it out on www.willow.com yourself. You could pay cheaper in an apartment or living with roommates, I lived like that several years ago but I preferred something else when I started my own family. Those that live with their parents can sometimes live free depending on what kind of parents they have. No lies here, neither is anyone trying to discourage anyone.

One difference between the US and Nigeria - some people can afford to build their own houses in Nigeria, in the US most people rely on mortgages that could span 30-35 years depending on several things. I live here in the US and go to Nigeria often, even have stuff happening there. So I know the difference between both worlds.

On your comments on daycare costs, have you ever paid for daycare? You mentioned Canada, if you've ever been to Canada, you wouldnt say what you said about Quebec, Canada. I have been to Canada more than 30 times, I have friends with kids living there and I have never heard of a $10 CAD per day daycare before. You mentioned Quebec in Canada, the minimum wage in Quebec is $10.55 CAD per hour, so why would anyone watch your child for $10 CAD per day? Or were you referring to just one hour of the day?

If daycare was that cheap, I'd be glad to pay for 3 years straight and not worry about weekly daycare payments.
For me, for two kids, I've been paying $300 per week for the past 3 years. I actually think that's a good deal. That's another $14,400 per annum. Google the cost of daycare in Atlanta. Actually, read some comments on this forum http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlanta/783493-cost-daycare-intown-atlanta.html
The costs people mentioned in the link above are just for one kid. I have two minors. Not complaining, because I'm used to the system already and earn enough to pay it and other bills. Compare to someone coming from Nigeria with 4 kids not knowing what to expect. It could be harder for them not knowing they can't find a maid like they had in Nigeria here.

See if you can find anything cheaper in this area. If you do, please don't hesitate to share the location. I definitely won't have someone living in a drug-infested neighborhood watching my kids for trying to be cheap. I can't imagine my kids coming back home high on something at their ages.

From the tone of my original message, you should be able to tell I didn't mean to scare anyone nor discourage anyone. It's great here and I personally don't really see myself living in Nigeria anytime soon for now. If I want that for myself, why won't I want that for anyone else? I was only shedding some lights on the realities that some of us don't know about before jumping on the plane so we can all be prepared.

You mentioned that you make 100k per year, what you didn't mention is if you were referring to Naira, USD or CAD. If you meant Naira, that's about $400 per year. That's about what some people spend on groceries for a month here, especially when they have kids. I haven't heard of anyone making that little a year in the US. On the contrary, people tend to pay their rents for years in Nigeria, which is unheard of in the US. Also, I haven't heard of anyone paying $400 per month for rent anywhere in the US, so what you currently make a year wouldn't put a roof over your head for a month in the US, unless ure squatting with someone.

I can defend everything I said anywhere, anytime and hope to clarify on some misconceptions. I bounce between the US and Nigeria a lot and I know what I'm saying.

Again, not discouraging anyone - just some heads-up type of talk.

Im done with this topic, everyone can think however they want to think.

I'll answer your questions in numbers again. It keeps the discussion organized.

1. It doesn't matter what your mortgage payments are, can you afford ? If 1200 per month is a bit too much, why not save a higher down payment so your monthly payments could be lower ? Again planning. These homes you claim some people can afford to build in Nigeria, lets be honest, we're talking about corrupted politicians or people from abroad. How many common man in Nigeria can afford their own home ? While you keep on bashing the mortgage scheme, at the end of the day someone abroad will eventually home their own home and build massive equity on it. In Nigeria unless you have a lot of money liquid cash, good-luck. Lastly, stop comparing someone who has a good paying job abroad and gets paid every 2 weeks consistently, to someone who earns 1 US dollar per day. Apples and Oranges. Of course someone abroad can afford to pay 14,440 on mortgage per year. Furthermore, don't compare the quality of the average house abroad to one in Nigeria.

2. I also own property in Nigeria and a side business. I'll be in Lagos 3 weeks from today. I also know what I'm talking about.

3. I live in Canada. I have a child and yes I've paid for daycare before. In Canada, taxes are slightly higher but we get a lot more back from the government up here. The Ontario provincial (equivalent to a state) government will also give free college tuition for students who come from a household of 50k or less.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/parenting/the-one-province-that-gets-daycare-right-in-canada-think-7-a-day/article14933862/?page=all

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/is-tuition-really-going-to-be-free-for-some-ontario-students-despite-the-skepticism-heres-how-itll-work

4. I live in Canada. The 100k is obviously Canadian.

5. To sum it up, stop comparing both economies and the cost of living. It's just not comparable. At the end of the day, the quality of life and prosperity is better here than in Nigeria. Regardless of the 1st world problems we face over here. My friend stop it.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by nicerichard05: 6:59am On Apr 25, 2016
jwillng:

Yes. No problem.

Done already bro
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by maternal: 7:12am On Apr 25, 2016
SmartMugu:

Probably with some government help, which depends on your income. Most people I know don't qualify for government assistance based on their income.

Canada is different from the US. Healthcare is free in Canada, it's not in the US. So, I wouldn't be surprised if Canadian government supports the residents for daycare to be that cheap in Quebec, but that still would depend on income in the US. The super-broke ones in the US get free daycare support from the government, but who wants to live like that?

I can't imagine any private individual setting up a daycare anywhere in the US or Canada for $10 per day without any subsidies from the government, unless they have robots in place to do the actual baby-sitting. Robots or computer don't have to go by the minimum wage. I would prefer to have my kids watched by a person, not a machine.

You have proven my point why people would prosper and live a better life here. The government cares !!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by TeddyBlue(m): 8:15am On Apr 25, 2016

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by SmartMugu: 8:19am On Apr 25, 2016
maternal:

I'll answer your questions in numbers again. It keeps the discussion organized.

1. It doesn't matter what your mortgage payments are, can you afford ? If 1200 per month is a bit too much, why not save a higher down payment so your monthly payments could be lower ? Again planning. These homes you claim some people can afford to build in Nigeria, lets be honest, we're talking about corrupted politicians or people from abroad. How many common man in Nigeria can afford their own home ? While you keep on bashing the mortgage scheme, at the end of the day someone abroad will eventually home their own home and build massive equity on it. In Nigeria unless you have a lot of money liquid cash, good-luck. Lastly, stop comparing someone who has a good paying job abroad and gets paid every 2 weeks consistently, to someone who earns 1 US dollar per day. Apples and Oranges. Of course someone abroad can afford to pay 14,440 on mortgage per year. Furthermore, don't compare the quality of the average house abroad to one in Nigeria.

2. I also own property in Nigeria and a side business. I'll be in Lagos 3 weeks from today. I also know what I'm talking about.

3. I live in Canada. I have a child and yes I've paid for daycare before. In Canada, taxes are slightly higher but we get a lot more back from the government up here. The Ontario provincial (equivalent to a state) government will also give free college tuition for students who come from a household of 50k or less.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/parenting/the-one-province-that-gets-daycare-right-in-canada-think-7-a-day/article14933862/?page=all

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/is-tuition-really-going-to-be-free-for-some-ontario-students-despite-the-skepticism-heres-how-itll-work

4. I live in Canada. The 100k is obviously Canadian.

5. To sum it up, stop comparing both economies and the cost of living. It's just not comparable. At the end of the day, the quality of life and prosperity is better here than in Nigeria. Regardless of the 1st world problems we face over here. My friend stop it.

From your point #5, only a fool would say Nigeria is better than Canada or the US. Also, only a fool will just jump on a plane without thinking of what to expect wherever they're heading to, which is the reason I made my initial comment. Im not related to anyone here and don't have a problem with being point-blank on saying what could save them some troubles - information is key. Many Nigerians have been brainwashed with the wrong information about life overseas and that has been on for decades. The only ones that have realized it are the ones that have seen things themselves.

When I first got to the US, all I knew about the US were all I saw on TV and word of mouth. I went through a lot to get where I am today, but it would have been different if I had access to the right information in the beginning.

Your point #1, $1200 per month for the kind of place I want for myself and my family isn't much, and I obviously took the deal because I could afford it. I mentioned that again for those that haven't factored the fact that putting a roof over their head wherever they're heading to think about that.

No comment on your point #2, Im sure any smart Nigerian living overseas should own something back in Nigeria and should be ready to book the next available flight if they want.

On your point #3, I don't know of anyone in the US making 6-figures in dollars and getting government help. I have never gotten a dime from the US government towards anything because of my income. I guess Canada is different, I don't know why the Canadian government should pay for your daycare if you make $100k. As I mentioned in my original post, visiting a place is a different experience from living there. I visited Canada several times but never lived there.
What happens to those that only make like $10k per annum. Those are the types the US government help. Do those that make $1m per annum still get government help in Canada?

I understand healthcare is free in Canada, it's not in the US. About $600 is deducted from my paychecks every month for my family's healthcare insurance. I haven't even been sick nor seen a doctor for about 2 years, yet about $300 is taken from me bi-weekly.

Your point #4 is noted. Thanks for clarifying.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 8:20am On Apr 25, 2016
SmartMugu:

Glad ure comfortable. I am too. I love to see everyone doing well. You asked about what kind of live I'm living here, all I can say is most likely way better than you can dream of. I'm probably someone you know, but I'm smartmugu here on NL.
Well, it's good to know that you are doing good too yourself. It gladdens my heart to see my fellow Nigerians doing well here in US. I am not in a competition with anyone so I don't wish to live the life you are living, I am already living a life of a dream come true. And I hope you have taken care of this situation ==> https://www.nairaland.com/2494574/how-tell-wife-she-std

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by SmartMugu: 8:22am On Apr 25, 2016
SnakeDoctor2020:
Well, it's good to know that you are doing good too yourself. It gladdens my heart to see my fellow Nigerians doing well here in US. I am not in a competition with anyone so I don't wish to live the life you are living, I am already living a life of a dream come true. And I hope you have taken care of this situation ==> https://www.nairaland.com/2494574/how-tell-wife-she-std
Sure, I took care of that. It happened about a couple of years ago. Fixed
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 8:26am On Apr 25, 2016
SmartMugu:

Sure, I took care of that. It happened about a couple of years ago. Fixed
But that was just August 01 2015? Anyways, it's good to know that you have fixed it.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by SmartMugu: 8:30am On Apr 25, 2016
SnakeDoctor2020:
But that was just August 01 2015? Anyways, it's good to know that you have fixed it.
That was when I posted it here on NL. That was actually the first topic I ever posted here and it was just shortly after I joined NL I think. The actual incident occurred much earlier than that. But it's fixed though.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by akanniade10(m): 8:42am On Apr 25, 2016
SmartMugu:

I'll say a quick prayer for you. May God grant you all your wishes. If one of them is to travel abroad to hustle, may God set the pace for you. May God also make your paths as clear as you want them.
Why did I pray for you? Hopefully sometime while you're abroad, you'll remember one Smartmugu you just criticized for just saying the truth.
BTW, I never discouraged anyone, just telling people what many don't know. I don't live in Nigeria, and would encourage everyone to explore other nations like I said in my original post you criticized me for.

Your comment about telling my brothers not to travel abroad is wrong. Everyone in my family has been all around the world. Many chose to live in Nigeria afterwards, running their own businesses - labor is cheaper in Nigeria, they could have done same business anywhere else in the world they want.

Been to the UK a couple times so don't school me about traveling abroad, my Mom and Sister are UK citizens and are living there. I only go there to Visit. And yes I choose to live here cos it pays me.

But I still stand on my words that your first write up isn't encouraging anyone who wants to go abroad to hustle. Why did u relocate? Why did you marry an American? All na Hustle!!! If u can survive it, why can't others? In this Age and Time, people know abroad is not where you go to pluck money on trees, but trust me no matter what you say It's better than living in Naija except if maybe you have a very very good job and a very viable business.

21 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by SlowlybtSurely: 8:43am On Apr 25, 2016
SnakeDoctor2020:

And what has that link got to do with the topic of discussion? What was your aim of posting it here? Personal attack? Cos he has a different opinion? How low. undecided

SmartMugu:

That was when I posted it here on NL. That was actually the first topic I ever posted here and it was just shortly after I joined NL I think. The actual incident occurred much earlier than that. But it's fixed though.

Please you owe no one no explanation. That is your personal life and has got nothing to do with what is being discussed here.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by akanniade10(m): 8:45am On Apr 25, 2016
honey86:

Daycare is $10 per day in Quebec. The cheapest in the country.

Please tell him.... Cos he seems to know it all
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Truth234(m): 8:52am On Apr 25, 2016
SnakeDoctor2020:

How old are you?

17 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by SmartMugu: 8:54am On Apr 25, 2016
akanniade10:

Been to the UK a couple times so don't school me about traveling abroad, my Mom and Sister are UK citizens and are living there. I only go there to Visit. And yes I choose to live here cos it pays me.

But I still stand on my words that your first write up isn't encouraging anyone who wants to go abroad to hustle. Why did u relocate? Why did you marry an American? All na Hustle!!! If u can survive it, why can't others? In this Age and Time, people know abroad is not where you go to pluck money on trees, but trust me no matter what you say It's better than living in Naija except if maybe you have a very very good job and a very viable business.

Pls re-read my first post and highlight what translates to whatever you're saying about me now. I feel like we are saying the same thing in two different languages, yet we are both typing in English, which is weird. What have you said that goes against what I said in my original post? I'm open to corrections, please point out what I said in my original post that you would to correct me on.

All I was trying to tell everyone can be summarized easily

1. Living somewhere is different from visiting the same place.

2. Choosing to live somewhere instead of just visiting comes with its own type of drama that isn't same as in Nigeria.

3. Be prepared with the right information before jumping on a plane because you just want to get out of Nigeria.

I grew up and schooled in Lagos.
All I knew how to do in Naija back then was school and hustle until I dipped out in 2004 right after college. Several folks here on NL were probably still in their diapers the night I dipped out.

What type of hustle in Lagos can you narrate to me that I haven't done or I'm not aware of? Unless the idea came from Mars. So, I understand hustle and don't school me - in your words.

I personally think it would help anyone that has hustled before in Nigeria to hustle less when they make it out of the country, and having access to the right information can get them prepared. Unfortunately, you and others took it like I'm discouraging anyone.

Congrats on your two visits to the UK, I can't count how many times I've been there.

Yes, I'm married to an American, but I've been an American myself from birth, so I didnt have to marry for papers. I was raised in Nigeria decided to bounce after college in Nigeria
I didn't leave any stable girlfriend in Nigeria and decided to marry an American I dated for over 6 years here about 4 years ago and we have two lovely kids and are still happy together after 10 years together.

I don't agree with going back home to find some random girl to bring over like several Nigerians do.
Is that a crime?

No one is trying to school you, school yourself with the information available to you.

23 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by SmartMugu: 9:00am On Apr 25, 2016
SlowlybtSurely:

And what has that link got to do with the topic of discussion? What was your aim of posting it here? undecided

Please you owe no one no explanation. That is your personal life and has got nothing to do with what is being discussed here.

I know exactly what he was trying to do. It doesn't bother me though. I tend to look forward, not backwards.

I intended my initial comments to translate to insights, rather folks started jumping at me like I'm a show-stopper.

I'm done with this thread.

Thanks bro for noticing that.

15 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by RedCapChief(m): 9:28am On Apr 25, 2016
SmartMugu:

Glad you're seeing it yourself. I bet if someone had told you when you were in Nigeria, you would have thought they were lieing. It's a great place, but it comes with a cost. I wish everyone in Nigeria could be granted visas to th US, let's see if most of them won't run back to Nigeria.
If the Nigerian government fixes the roads, electricity etc, I'm sure most Nigerians overseas will want to go back home.

At your comment about where people get capitals from, I'm sure you're already aware the US is more of a credit economy vs Nigeria that is a cash economy. You can actually take out huge loans with good credit, so you don't have to wait on someone to explain how they did it when you already know how some people are - many would prefer you to follow them rather than walk with them, the first lesson I learnt in the US.

I'm really interested in the credit economy of the US. It is possible to get huge loans at great rates, bring the money to Nigeria and invest in high-yielding ventures( particularly if you can change at the parallel market). For instance, US Treasury Bill rates are very poor when compared to Nigeria Treasury Bill rates. The only problem is probably getting the credit-worthiness required to get such a loan.
@CFCman, SmartMugu, Maternal et al, what do you think?
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Emmyk(m): 9:47am On Apr 25, 2016
SlowlybtSurely:

And what has that link got to do with the topic of discussion? What was your aim of posting it here? Personal attack? Cos he has a different opinion? How low. undecided

I wonder. undecided

4 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by SmartMugu: 9:56am On Apr 25, 2016
RedCapChief:

I'm really interested in the credit economy of the US. It is possible to get huge loans at great rates, bring the money to Nigeria and invest in high-yielding ventures( particularly if you can change at the parallel market). For instance, US Treasury Bill rates are very poor when compared to Nigeria Treasury Bill rates. The only problem is probably getting the credit-worthiness required to get such a loan.
@CFCman, SmartMugu, Maternal et al, what do you think?
In my opinion, you would need some type of institutional loan for a venture like that, not a personal loan. I would think how banks determine credit worthiness for that type of loan would be different from if they were just dealing with an individual, where they can just run their credit and grant or deny them loans.
Let's say things work well and you're granted the loan, getting it to Nigeria and receiving it at black market rates is something to think about - since western union, money gram, wire transfers from the US only work with the rates Nigerian banks offer you, which could translate to some loss for you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by mikkyangel(m): 10:31am On Apr 25, 2016
jwillng:

Strippers!!! grin

I think California is where @mikkyangel is- i need to go and bow to the boss!

Yes ohhh,I live in Los Angeles California. ...d sunshine state...
From Inglewood to Hollywood
-Santa Barbara to Santa Monica
-sanbernadino to santaclarita......

The hustle never stops! God bless America!!!

Op,I agree wit ur points....but dis yanky,hmmnnn one has to be careful ohh...

Na vex I use vex go pay off my credit debt of $8k (2.5m) , last week after 3months of non stop hustling back to back doing day and night jobs. .

D monthly intrest rate was getting too much (na him I vex go give dem dem money and card back)..

OP,me wants to visit canada by summer (Toronto and Vancouver British Columbia ), and I will be going from BALTIMORE or new jersey...I just wanna know, na Greyhound bus u use travel? Cos I wanna go buy road..

2 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Originalsly: 11:06am On Apr 25, 2016
akanniade10:

Bro...you should reread Smartmugu's comment to get his point. He even mention visiting and living on a place are two different things. He has made it so basically why can't you or anyone else follow the same path? Think about this.... do you know how long ago he entered the US?.... do you know the job situation at the time?.... do you know the laws at the time?...do you know the cost and availability of housing at the time? Someone that entered the US 25 years ago without papers or any skill or qualifications would've found it much easier and quicker to find employment and shelter than someone entering the US today with papers. ..... do you know that at that time if for some reason you were arrested by the police it was illegal for them to find out about your status?.... and that today they do?... and the reason for so many deportations? Put things in perspective.... know and prepare for the challenges that may lay ahead....that's all he is saying ... look before you leap....so why call that discouragement? Op of this thread is saying the same thing between the lines... he looked very well before he leaped.

8 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by ttmacoy: 5:39pm On Apr 25, 2016
Regarding your point on healthcare, while it is free at point of service, it is not necessarily free as it is paid through taxes.

As someone who lived in the UK and now the US there are pros and cons to both systems. With the US insurance system I feel I can control my healthcare costs because I can choose an insurance policy with higher co pay and lower payments if I am young and healthy and increase it as I get older and less healthy or have children, but obviously the downside is the higher co pay should I et seriously sick. Same as you I was in the UK over 10 years and I went to the doctor maybe 4-5 times yet I paid for it in my taxes monthly.

In the US you also have pre tax health accounts where you can keep some pretax dollars for medical payments which means if you can keep the money there to cover whenever you fall ill and need to pay the higher c pay, and it rolls over if you don't use it so you don't lose it as opposed to paying high taxes irrespective of if you need it or not.

As i said there are pros and cons to both and in the US if you don't have a good insurance policy i.e. from employers then you can get in financial trouble very quickly.

In summary the way I see it, if you have a good job and good insurance policy, the US system is better as you get better services because the pressure on the NHS is unsustainable, but if you are a lower level earner or do not have access to affordable insurance, then the UK or Canadian system works better as it covers everyone irrespective of earning.

On your other points I see where you are coming from and I agree with some, but one thing is you cannot make comparisons simply by converting dollars to naira and saying I pay $1500 mortgage but in Nigeria that would get me xx because we need to consider the cost of living and earning potential in both countries first. It's not a straight dollar to naira conversion,

SmartMugu:

I understand healthcare is free in Canada, it's not in the US. About $600 is deducted from my paychecks every month for my family's healthcare insurance. I haven't even been sick nor seen a doctor for about 2 years, yet about $300 is taken from me bi-weekly.

4 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by jwillng: 6:13pm On Apr 25, 2016
mikkyangel:

Yes ohhh,I live in Los Angeles California. ...d sunshine state...
From Inglewood to Hollywood
-Santa Barbara to Santa Monica
-sanbernadino to santaclarita......

The hustle never stops! God bless America!!!

Op,I agree wit ur points....but dis yanky,hmmnnn one has to be careful ohh...

Na vex I use vex go pay off my credit debt of $8k (2.5m) , last week after 3months of non stop hustling back to back doing day and night jobs. .

D monthly intrest rate was getting too much (na him I vex go give dem dem money and card back)..

OP,me wants to visit canada by summer (Toronto and Vancouver British Columbia ), and I will be going from BALTIMORE or new jersey...I just wanna know, na Greyhound bus u use travel? Cos I wanna go buy road..

MikkyAngel-The King of California himself! You are the one making all the money!

We drove to Canada. I went with a family friend and his family. They are citizens/green card holders. Journey was long through Minnesota and North Dakota. We entered through North Portal (dont know if thats the name of the town or just the name of the border crossing). It was a 24 hour crossing-so we were allowed to enter late at night.
We drove over a day-but it was interesting seeing all the oil fields of North Dakota and many interesting sights.

I have heard of Greyhound -but have not had the opportunity to ride in it. But I may be taking the Mega Bus to Chicago in a few weeks.

2 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by ttmacoy: 6:16pm On Apr 25, 2016
$10 a day Wow make I no mention how much we pay.

That is so cheap.

honey86:

Daycare is $10 per day in Quebec. The cheapest in the country.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Emmanuelson(m): 6:21pm On Apr 25, 2016
Hello everyone, please I need advice on this...My mom lives and work in new jersey since 2012.I just graduated from university here in Nigeria and I plan to apply for visit visa and when I get to the states I will apply for masters which I plan to start soon...please is there a chance of coming on a visit visa and study for my masters at the same time...Note my mom will become a permanent resident/ citizen next year and can easily file for me then...thanks
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by maternal: 6:40pm On Apr 25, 2016
SmartMugu:

From your point #5, only a fool would say Nigeria is better than Canada or the US. Also, only a fool will just jump on a plane without thinking of what to expect wherever they're heading to, which is the reason I made my initial comment. Im not related to anyone here and don't have a problem with being point-blank on saying what could save them some troubles - information is key. Many Nigerians have been brainwashed with the wrong information about life overseas and that has been on for decades. The only ones that have realized it are the ones that have seen things themselves.

When I first got to the US, all I knew about the US were all I saw on TV and word of mouth. I went through a lot to get where I am today, but it would have been different if I had access to the right information in the beginning.

Your point #1, $1200 per month for the kind of place I want for myself and my family isn't much, and I obviously took the deal because I could afford it. I mentioned that again for those that haven't factored the fact that putting a roof over their head wherever they're heading to think about that.

No comment on your point #2, Im sure any smart Nigerian living overseas should own something back in Nigeria and should be ready to book the next available flight if they want.

On your point #3, I don't know of anyone in the US making 6-figures in dollars and getting government help. I have never gotten a dime from the US government towards anything because of my income. I guess Canada is different, I don't know why the Canadian government should pay for your daycare if you make $100k. As I mentioned in my original post, visiting a place is a different experience from living there. I visited Canada several times but never lived there.
What happens to those that only make like $10k per annum. Those are the types the US government help. Do those that make $1m per annum still get government help in Canada?

Whether you make $1 dollar or 1 million we all get the same benefits. Obviously the one making 1 million will get taxed more. Again nothing is free in Canada, our taxes cover it. THE POINT is with the system here, life is better abroad and one can make it here, especially in Canada as the government will help you when you're down. I'm just saying your experience isn't a fact. Your experience is your experience.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by maternal: 6:53pm On Apr 25, 2016
SmartMugu:

Pls re-read my first post and highlight what translates to whatever you're saying about me now. I feel like we are saying the same thing in two different languages, yet we are both typing in English, which is weird. What have you said that goes against what I said in my original post? I'm open to corrections, please point out what I said in my original post that you would to correct me on.

All I was trying to tell everyone can be summarized easily

1. Living somewhere is different from visiting the same place.

2. Choosing to live somewhere instead of just visiting comes with its own type of drama that isn't same as in Nigeria.

3. Be prepared with the right information before jumping on a plane because you just want to get out of Nigeria.

I grew up and schooled in Lagos.
All I knew how to do in Naija back then was school and hustle until I dipped out in 2004 right after college. Several folks here on NL were probably still in their diapers the night I dipped out.

What type of hustle in Lagos can you narrate to me that I haven't done or I'm not aware of? Unless the idea came from Mars. So, I understand hustle and don't school me - in your words.

I personally think it would help anyone that has hustled before in Nigeria to hustle less when they make it out of the country, and having access to the right information can get them prepared. Unfortunately, you and others took it like I'm discouraging anyone.

Congrats on your two visits to the UK, I can't count how many times I've been there.

Yes, I'm married to an American, but I've been an American myself from birth, so I didnt have to marry for papers. I was raised in Nigeria decided to bounce after college in Nigeria
I didn't leave any stable girlfriend in Nigeria and decided to marry an American I dated for over 6 years here about 4 years ago and we have two lovely kids and are still happy together after 10 years together.

I don't agree with going back home to find some random girl to bring over like several Nigerians do.
Is that a crime?

No one is trying to school you, school yourself with the information available to you.

No vex, but you're a walking contradiction. It's actually become comical and insulting to those trying to leave naija. I won't even get into. But all I want to say is that despite you claiming to be a wise/business individual, why can't you see the business moves your parents did for you ? You think borning you in America was a coincidence ? You think you "deciding" to comeback to America after college was a coincidence too ? My friend even the naija you're hailing your parents knew was crap and planned your easy escape. If you didn't have that yankee passport you'd be back in naija struggling, looking for a way t come abroad. Lets please all respect ourselves abeg, and not discourage those praying to be in your situation.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by SmartMugu: 7:59pm On Apr 25, 2016
ttmacoy:
Regarding your point on healthcare, while it is free at point of service, it is not necessarily free as it is paid through taxes.

As someone who lived in the UK and now the US there are pros and cons to both systems. With the US insurance system I feel I can control my healthcare costs because I can choose an insurance policy with higher co pay and lower payments if I am young and healthy and increase it as I get older and less healthy or have children, but obviously the downside is the higher co pay should I et seriously sick. Same as you I was in the UK over 10 years and I went to the doctor maybe 4-5 times yet I paid for it in my taxes monthly.

In the US you also have pre tax health accounts where you can keep some pretax dollars for medical payments which means if you can keep the money there to cover whenever you fall ill and need to pay the higher c pay, and it rolls over if you don't use it so you don't lose it as opposed to paying high taxes irrespective of if you need it or not.

As i said there are pros and cons to both and in the US if you don't have a good insurance policy i.e. from employers then you can get in financial trouble very quickly.

In summary the way I see it, if you have a good job and good insurance policy, the US system is better as you get better services because the pressure on the NHS is unsustainable, but if you are a lower level earner or do not have access to affordable insurance, then the UK or Canadian system works better as it covers everyone irrespective of earning.

On your other points I see where you are coming from and I agree with some, but one thing is you cannot make comparisons simply by converting dollars to naira and saying I pay $1500 mortgage but in Nigeria that would get me xx because we need to consider the cost of living and earning potential in both countries first. It's not a straight dollar to naira conversion,

I agree with all your points bro. Right on!
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by SmartMugu: 8:29pm On Apr 25, 2016
maternal:

No vex, but you're a walking contradiction. It's actually become comical and insulting to those trying to leave naija. I won't even get into. But all I want to say is that despite you claiming to be a wise/business individual, why can't you see the business moves your parents did for you ? You think borning you in America was a coincidence ? You think you "deciding" to comeback to America after college was a coincidence too ? My friend even the naija you're hailing your parents knew was crap and planned your easy escape. If you didn't have that yankee passport you'd be back in naija struggling, looking for a way t come abroad. Lets please all respect ourselves abeg, and not discourage those praying to be in your situation.
I understand you better now. No hard feelings bro, I understand the struggle. It's still struggle anywhere else too, but I know Naija struggle is first-grade. If things could get better there, several folks would come back home and probably help the economy in their own little ways.
I never discouraged anyone through the whole rants. You probably misinterpreted me.
Anyway, I rest my case.

4 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by SmartMugu: 8:38pm On Apr 25, 2016
ttmacoy:
$10 a day Wow make I no mention how much we pay.

That is so cheap.

I thought I never heard of that before until he mentioned it. I need to move to Quebec then...lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (38) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 / Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou / Poland Work Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.