Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:40 AM

I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! (211951 Views)

Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts / Should I Go To America Or Forget About It? / Nigerian Appreciates Woman For The Visa To America She Granted Him 32 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by maternal: 5:28am On Apr 26, 2016
NewSheriff:
Hello sire, nice to know you work in the oil and gas industry in Canada. There's something I think you should be able clarify me about. I have a second class lower degree in Geophysics and wants to further my education in Canada and work there thereafter. I'm applying to Southern Alberta Institute of technology (a college) for a bachelor of applied technology in Petroleum Engineering. What's bothering me now is, due to the fall in oil price, how easy will it be to get a job in the industry with such degree? Is it worth the investment?

Oil prices go up and down. It was 28 USD per barrel like almost 2 months ago now its at 43 USD steady. I work at the Shell Albian site and they've made a lot of layoffs, but thank God I wasn't one of them. I can't answer your question as I'm not God and I can't tell the future. But I would go ahead. Even if you can't find a job within your field, their are many good paying jobs related to the oil sands which one can do and make very good money until a position opens up. For example you can pull 34 dollars per hour driving a truck for 44 hours per week. That's close to 78k per year. Companies will also add an extra 1k per month on top your salary to offset your cost of living (it can get a bit expensive living up north). Shell does a bit more than the 1k per month for us. So 78k plus an extra 12k, that's easily 90k per year. Add some overtime if you have the appetite for it, and you can pull 6 figures per year easily until you get something in your field. I'd go for it personally.

http://www.fortmcmurrayonline.com/jobs/job69146/fuel.oil.truck.driver.job.aspx

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by maternal: 5:35am On Apr 26, 2016
ayodele234:

Young man, quit with the bull*shit already! The middle class is shrinking, the American middle class is dead and will never resurrect. And stop with that converting currency bull*shit, poverty is defined by where you live and not by converting currencies. Earning $30,000 in New York is poverty and can be compared with someone earning 25k monthly in Nigeria. You keep on talking about college when people like Warren Buffet and michael bloomberg are encouraging people to become plumbers instead of going to college. The problem with Nigeria is that we value paper certification like some god, young man they don't mean shit. America was built on innovation and what you are capable of doing and not by sitting in one bull*shit class to be taught what is already known.

Of course ignore everything. Poverty is also compared to quality of life. You like to leave that one out small pikin. I only encourage college if it's a trade or a professional degree. I know you didn't attend college or probably couldn't get in, but reading and comprehending is important. And like I already knew, you're based in the US. Comedians like yourself, if I buy you a one way ticket and told you to go back and never return, your attitude would change. All of a sudden naija wouldn't have the 2 million richest people or the igbo boys making millions from imports. You're just an entertainer.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 5:39am On Apr 26, 2016
ayodele234:

Young man, quit with the bull*shit already! The middle class is shrinking, the American middle class is dead and will never resurrect. And stop with that converting currency bull*shit, poverty is defined by where you live and not by converting currencies. Earning $30,000 in New York is poverty and can be compared with someone earning 25k monthly in Nigeria. You keep on talking about college when people like Warren Buffet and michael bloomberg are encouraging people to become plumbers instead of going to college. The problem with Nigeria is that we value paper certification like some god, young man they don't mean shit. America was built on innovation and what you are capable of doing and not by sitting in one bull*shit class to be taught what is already known.

The certificate problem exists in both countries. Up until the mid-80s, here in the US, one could live a middle-class lifestyle with only a High school degree (GED), and adequately care for a family of 4. But those days are long gone.

I tell you, to get an interview for most jobs in the US, you would need a Bachelors or Associates degree (even for minimum wage jobs). I'm afraid that in 8-10 years time, the minimum qualification for 65% of available jobs would require some type of Masters degree.

To be honest, college is not for everyone. If you want to be a medical doctor, engineer, lawyer, architect, teacher or a professional in any STEM field, college id for you. For anything else, college is a waste; particularly in these times. I'd say 50-55% of people in US universities have no business being there.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 5:45am On Apr 26, 2016
maternal:

Of course ignore everything. Poverty is also compared to quality of life. You like to leave that one out small pikin. I only encourage college if it's a trade or a professional degree. I know you didn't attend college or probably couldn't get in, but reading and comprehending is important. And like I already knew, you're based in the US. Comedians like yourself, if I buy you a one way ticket and told you to go back and never return, your attitude would change. All of a sudden naija wouldn't have the 2 million richest people or the igbo boys making millions from imports. You're just an entertainer.

Young man only a fool will compare both countries in terms of advancement but greatness has never come from comfort. That's why I laugh at folks who think giving birth to their kids here has any kind of advantage. Greatness comes from struggle so you might want to rethink that philosophy of I don't want my kids to shout "up Nepa". Let your kids live in Nigeria till they turn 18. Just thought I give you a life changing advice. Peace dude

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by maternal: 5:53am On Apr 26, 2016
ayodele234:

Young man only a fool will compare both countries in terms of advancement but greatness has never come from comfort. That's why I laugh at folks who think giving birth to their kids here has any kind of advantage. Greatest comes from struggle so you might want to rethink that philosophy of I don't want my kids to shout "up Nepa". Let your kids live in Nigeria till they turn 18. Just thought I give you a life changing advice. Peace dude

Now restoring to philosophy ? Greatness comes from struggle ? I'm sure those in naija struggling don't mind because they feel greatness will come out of it one day. We're talking real life here small pikin. Onye ara.

10 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by TWoods(m): 5:55am On Apr 26, 2016
Without a doubt the best post i have come across in this section. Absolutely commend the OP for the very interesting way he narrates his experience.

Just a note - if you earn >$100,000 a year in the US (especially if you don't live in hyper expensive states like NY), you are far far better off than earning $50,000/annum in Nigeria. I understand why some worry about high cost of living, but such analysis forgets to take into consideration the hidden costs of living in Nigeria - constant petrol/diesel for your generator, bad roads, no security, poor healthcare services. If you ever had a bad sickness in Nigeria, everything you think you've saved can be wiped out in one day.

Also there are actually cobblers in the US! Check the Houston international airport... there are plenty of igbos who shine shoes there. Pleasantly surprised to get there one day and find people speaking igbo.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 6:00am On Apr 26, 2016
maternal:

Now restoring to philosophy ? Greatness comes from struggle ? I'm sure those in naija struggling don't mind because they feel greatness will come out of it one day. We're talking real life here small pikin. Onye ara.

And that "I don't want my kids to pass through what I went through is why no son of a successful man gained global recognition" (please name one you know who became successful like their parents). I have seen it first hand with people acting like they better cos they living in comfort. And reading your first comments shows you suffer from this syndrome and that was what caught my attention and made me attack you from the onset. Encourage and lift up your fellow countrymen instead of looking down on them cos you work in some oil rig...and yes I took it personal

9 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by TWoods(m): 6:16am On Apr 26, 2016
CFCman:

Thus, in reality, most new US doctors have a lower net worth than mechanics, contractors, truck drivers and plumbers. Most of these professionals didn't have to go to a 4-yr college to obtain their certifications, and took out little ($2,000 or less) or no student loans at all.

In the short term maybe. But over 10-15 years, the US doctor is certain to be worth far more than the mechanic, contractor or truck driver.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by TWoods(m): 6:19am On Apr 26, 2016
ayodele234:

Young man only a fool will compare both countries in terms of advancement but greatness has never come from comfort. That's why I laugh at folks who think giving birth to their kids here has any kind of advantage. Greatness comes from struggle so you might want to rethink that philosophy of I don't want my kids to shout "up Nepa". Let your kids live in Nigeria till they turn 18. Just thought I give you a life changing advice. Peace dude

Being born in America certainly has advantages over anyone born Nigerian (unless your parents are corrupt politicians). Its all well and good saying we should let our kids live in Nigeria till they turn 18 - forgetting that armed robbers, bad roads, poor policing, terrible health services etc. may claim their lives long before then.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by TWoods(m): 6:23am On Apr 26, 2016
ayodele234:

And that "I don't want my kids to pass through what I went through is why no son of a successful man gained global recognition" (please name one you know who became successful like their parents). I have seen it first hand with people acting like they better cos they living in comfort. And reading your first comments shows you suffer from this syndrome and that was what caught my attention and made me attack you from the onset. Encourage and lift up your fellow countrymen instead of looking down on them cos you work in some oil rig...and yes I took it personal

When i moved here, i learnt that "success" isn't what i thought it once was. Success isn't about how many cars you have, how large your home is or how much you make every month. Success could simply be living a happy life free of worry and wants. Most Americans aren't rich but they will not swap their passports for yours in a million years. They may not own land or make $30,000 a month; they may live on mortgages and pay car notes monthly. But their rights are guaranteed, they are free to do as they please, they have access to the best doctors, electricity and water is constant, food is virtually free, security is taken for granted... what else can a man need? Yes your igbo contractors probably make far more than they, but they live in prisons (aka homes with 10 ft walls), endure bad roads, fear armed robbers. What life is that?

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 6:26am On Apr 26, 2016
TWoods:

Being born in America certainly has advantages over anyone born Nigerian (unless your parents are corrupt politicians). Its all well and good saying we should let our kids live in Nigeria till they turn 18 - forgetting that armed robbers, bad roads, poor policing, terrible health services etc. may claim their lives long before then.

Hahahahaha...Here is another one! American politicians are the most corrupt people in all of human history. And with neoliberlism causing havoc all over the global south, US. corporations (Apple, Wall Street Banks, Down Jones and S&P companies etc) are the biggest crooks that ever existed. All the wealth or is it mirage you see in America were all stolen via global capitalism. Young man, let's not even going into politics. You don't want to play around my territory. Trust me

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by TWoods(m): 6:33am On Apr 26, 2016
ayodele234:

Hahahahaha...Here is another one! American politicians are the most corrupt people in all of human history. And with neoliberlism causing havoc all over the global south, US. corporations (Apple, Wall Street Banks, Down Jones and S&P companies etc) are in biggest thieves that ever existed. All the wealth or is it mirage you see in America were all stolen via global capitalism. Young man, let's not even going into politics. You don't want to play around my territory. Trust me

I frankly don't think politics is your "territory". I think you're just playing around with highfalutin words. America has been a capitalist society for over 100 years... It's biggest problem is the incessant need to cut taxes. Apple, Microsoft, shell... Are not thieves. They simply take advantage of existing law to make money. You'd do the same if you were in their shoes. If American politicians are such thieves then why are you here?

By the way "down jones" is not a corporation.

Rather than posting here, why don't you give up your US citizenship and go back to Nigeria? In my view, that would be putting your money where your mouth is.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 6:34am On Apr 26, 2016
TWoods:

In the short term maybe. But over 10-15 years, the US doctor is certain to be worth far more than the mechanic, contractor or truck driver.
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 6:36am On Apr 26, 2016
TWoods:

When i moved here, i learnt that "success" isn't what i thought it once was. Success isn't about how many cars you have, how large your home is or how much you make every month. Success could simply be living a happy life free of worry and wants. Most Americans aren't rich but they will not swap their passports for yours in a million years. They may not own land or make $30,000 a month; they may live on mortgages and pay car notes monthly. But their rights are guaranteed, they are free to do as they please, they have access to the best doctors, electricity and water is constant, food is virtually free, security is taken for granted... what else can a man need? Yes your igbo contractors probably make far more than they, but they live in prisons (aka homes with 10 ft walls), endure bad roads, fear armed robbers. What life is that?

Nah man, when you moved you finally realize the American dream is elusive cos like my cousin here, you were jumping at the airport back in Nigeria thinking you were going to conquer America and the world within 5yrs (we are all guilty of watching too much Hollywood fictions). Then reality hits so badly then you started making adjustment. My brother nobody went to america because of basic amenities, we all be typical omo 9ja, na when we find out say America get as e dey we water am down and switch to "most americans are not rich, but we have constant light, policing, food and everything"..swapping of passports is taking place massively as we speak as the number increases each year. Sure they are renouncing their citizenship and going to europe for now, very soon they will flood Nigeria. lol

6 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 6:40am On Apr 26, 2016
TWoods:

I frankly don't think politics is your "territory". I think you're just playing around with highfalutin words. America has been a capitalist society for over 100 years... It's biggest problem is the incessant need to cut taxes. Apple, Microsoft, shell... Are not thieves. They simply take advantage of existing law to make money. You'd do the same if you were in their shoes. If American politicians are such thieves then why are you here?

By the way "down jones" is not a corporation.

Rather than posting here, why don't you give up your US citizenship and go back to Nigeria? In my view, that would be putting your money where your mouth is.

And where did I state that the US. stock index is a corporation. I just added what came to my head at the time. You must be living in wonderland to think those wars fought oversea are meant to bring security to the homeland. That's massive thievery going on to enrich transnational corporations. Young man, stop protecting the biggest criminals known to mankind cos that makes you one
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by TWoods(m): 6:42am On Apr 26, 2016
ayodele234:

Nah man, when you moved you finally realize the American dream is elusive cos like my cousin here, you were jumping at the airport back in Nigeria thinking you were going to conquer America and the world within 5yrs (we are all guilty of watching too much Hollywood fictions). Then reality hits so badly then you started making adjustment. My brother nobody went to america because of basic amenities, we all be typical omo 9ja, na when we find out say America get as e dey we water am down and switch to "most americans are not rich, but we have constant light, policing, food and everything"..swapping of passports is taking place massively as we speak as the number increases each year. Sure they are renouncing their citizenship and going to europe for now, very soon they will flood Nigeria. lol

Wrong. I didn't come here to hustle and in fact, I've never hustled at all since I've been here. I live comfortably, make more than enough, work as a senior scientist in America's largest oil company. I can't ask God for more. I sleep well, eat well, go on vacations, travel to Europe business class for free as part of work perks...

I didn't spend time watching Hollywood movies. My life isn't dependent on what the prevailing idea of "success" is. As far as I'm concerned, a happy debt free, secure family is more than what you need to live happily. Feel free to go to Nigeria and hustle.

17 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by TWoods(m): 6:46am On Apr 26, 2016
ayodele234:

And where did I state that the US. stock index is a corporation. I just added what came to my head at the time. You must be living in wonderland to think those wars fought oversea are meant to bring security to the homeland. That's massive thievery going on to enrich transnational corporations. Young man, stop protecting the biggest criminals known to mankind cos that makes you one

American companies may be filled with thieves but they are the most innovative companies in the world. Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Apple, Microsoft, Exxonmobil, Google, Facebook... I'm sorry but I can understand why the average American is fiercely proud of their country. What have your Nigerian thieves given you? I go to Europe and everyone is on an iPhone... I'll take America over Nigeria any day.

14 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Etinosajay(m): 6:56am On Apr 26, 2016
TWoods:

WORD.

Talk about the fact most business men have to engage in sharp practices down here, to increase profit. They pay low salaries, most don't pay tax, don't conform to standards or business ethics, hence they can easily make those huge money, people count with their eyes.

People should realise that a typical Nigerian Business man will never do business elsewhere, because they can't double their profits like blood money elsewhere. No rules of engagement, or industry/market discipline.

A young graduate earning 150k per month in Nigeria (which is quite rare, and good enough) will require at least 4-6years of personal savings from that salary to own a property. He'll either spend 10-20 % on transport, more on food, electricity, security, health, etc.

10 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Etinosajay(m): 7:12am On Apr 26, 2016
ayodele234:

Just to contribute though. I figure you don't like an opposing view or being countered, but I'm saying it anyway.

In reality, basic amenities is part of why Nigerians moved abroad.

If I have water, electricity, security, equal and protected rights, good roads, that gives me less to worry about. Then I can expend my energy on being productive and working my dreams.

Here in Nigeria, you could have the money, yet no fuel to buy. If you want security, you'd have to hire bodyguards or compete with the politicians/big business men for police escorts.

You'd have to buy, service, and fuel a mikano or related, constantly to have power. If you don't have power, then no water, that's assuming you have a borehole and also have a gen set that can power your borehole.

And then some years ago, you wouldn't be , able to get into good schools, just for being brilliant, you'd have to exchange envelopes.

To be fair, a good reason why you haven't seen Half of Nigeria exiting Nigeria is because a good number of public/private employee can use their position to amass wealth benignly.

You may say It is not as bad as we see it, but it is bad.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 7:19am On Apr 26, 2016
Etinosajay:

Just to contribute though. I figure you don't like an opposing view or being countered, but I'm saying it anyway.

In reality, basic amenities is part of why Nigerians moved abroad.

If I have water, electricity, security, equal and protected rights, good roads, that gives me less to worry about. Then I can expend my energy on being productive and working my dreams.

Here in Nigeria, you could have the money, yet no fuel to buy. If you want security, you'd have to hire bodyguards or compete with the politicians/big business men for police escorts.

You'd have to buy, service, and fuel a mikano or related, constantly to have power. If you don't have power, then no water, that's assuming you have a borehole and also have a gen set that can power your borehole.

And then some years ago, you wouldn't be , to get into good schools, just for being brilliant, you'd have to exchange envelopes.

To be fair, a good reason why you haven't seen Half of Nigeria exiting Nigeria is because a good number of public/private employee can use their position to amass wealth benignly.

You may say It is not as bad as we see it, but it is bad.

My brother the Nigerian problem is known to all, I just got tired of people painting America like some paradise. You will visit one day and see for yourself. People struggle real hard here, forget those pictures on social media. Na only here you go see banker close for work and enter second job. Which kind yeye be that na? A single bank job in Nigeria can sustain a family in Nigeria. RN are not even rich like they make it look like, they are just there paying the bills

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Etinosajay(m): 7:27am On Apr 26, 2016
ayodele234:

My brother the Nigerian problem is known to all, I just got tired of people painting America like some paradise. You will visit one day and see for yourself. People struggle real hard here, forget those pictures on social media.

I totally agree. It may not be paradise, but then it may give some folks an opportunity to improve their lives.

You deserve some commendation, at least for bringing to light the challenges some face upon reaching america. It would be wise of potential immigrants to look at your perspective too, and then figure out their lives on time, so they can enjoy their lives like Twoods, you, maternal, CFCman, Jwillng, amongst others. I know you couldn't possibly tell me that america didn't improve your life. smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Nobody: 8:21am On Apr 26, 2016
maternal:

Oil prices go up and down. It was 28 USD per barrel like almost 2 months ago now its at 43 USD steady. I work at the Shell Albian site and they've made a lot of layoffs, but thank God I wasn't one of them. I can't answer your question as I'm not God and I can't tell the future. But I would go ahead. Even if you can't find a job within your field, their are many good paying jobs related to the oil sands which one can do and make very good money until a position opens up. For example you can pull 34 dollars per hour driving a truck for 44 hours per week. That's close to 78k per year. Companies will also add an extra 1k per month on top your salary to offset your cost of living (it can get a bit expensive living up north). Shell does a bit more than the 1k per month for us. So 78k plus an extra 12k, that's easily 90k per year. Add some overtime if you have the appetite for it, and you can pull 6 figures per year easily until you get something in your field. I'd go for it personally.

http://www.fortmcmurrayonline.com/jobs/job69146/fuel.oil.truck.driver.job.aspx
@bolded lol yea. No one can predict the future but there are pointers one must watch out for.

Hmmm interesting... It seems menial jobs there pay the equivalent of the biggest jobs here. grin grin
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by dgr8est(m): 9:25am On Apr 26, 2016
CFCman:

The certificate problem exists in both countries. Up until the mid-80s, here in the US, one could live a middle-class lifestyle with only a High school degree (GED), and adequately care for a family of 4. But those days are long gone.

I tell you, to get an interview for most jobs in the US, you would need a Bachelors or Associates degree (even for minimum wage jobs). I'm afraid that in 8-10 years time, the minimum qualification for 65% of available jobs would require some type of Masters degree.

To be honest, college is not for everyone. If you want to be a medical doctor, engineer, lawyer, architect, teacher or a professional in any STEM field, college id for you. For anything else, college is a waste; particularly in these times. I'd say 50-55% of people in US universities have no business being there.

"To be honest, college is not for everyone. If you want to be a medical doctor, engineer, lawyer, architect, teacher or a
professional in any STEM field, college id for you. For
anything else, college is a waste; particularly in these times.
I'd say 50-55% of people in US universities have no business
being there"

I so love this
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by akanniade10(m): 5:38pm On Apr 26, 2016
SmartMugu:

Pls re-read my first post and highlight what translates to whatever you're saying about me now. I feel like we are saying the same thing in two different languages, yet we are both typing in English, which is weird. What have you said that goes against what I said in my original post? I'm open to corrections, please point out what I said in my original post that you would to correct me on.

All I was trying to tell everyone can be summarized easily

1. Living somewhere is different from visiting the same place.

2. Choosing to live somewhere instead of just visiting comes with its own type of drama that isn't same as in Nigeria.

3. Be prepared with the right information before jumping on a plane because you just want to get out of Nigeria.

I grew up and schooled in Lagos.
All I knew how to do in Naija back then was school and hustle until I dipped out in 2004 right after college. Several folks here on NL were probably still in their diapers the night I dipped out.

What type of hustle in Lagos can you narrate to me that I haven't done or I'm not aware of? Unless the idea came from Mars. So, I understand hustle and don't school me - in your words.

I personally think it would help anyone that has hustled before in Nigeria to hustle less when they make it out of the country, and having access to the right information can get them prepared. Unfortunately, you and others took it like I'm discouraging anyone.

Congrats on your two visits to the UK, I can't count how many times I've been there.

Yes, I'm married to an American, but I've been an American myself from birth, so I didnt have to marry for papers. I was raised in Nigeria decided to bounce after college in Nigeria
I didn't leave any stable girlfriend in Nigeria and decided to marry an American I dated for over 6 years here about 4 years ago and we have two lovely kids and are still happy together after 10 years together.

I don't agree with going back home to find some random girl to bring over like several Nigerians do.
Is that a crime?

No one is trying to school you, school yourself with the information available to you.

Really! Are you this pained? You had to go modify your post to paste this epistle. Tot u had better things to tend to. Now I can see where you coming from....... Lol!!! Your points have been countered on this thread severally yet you insist to make a fool outta yourself.

I maintain my stands, continue discouraging your fellow brothers well maybe they are naive. Like I said earlier, people are now wise. Abroad isn't a place where money is being pluck on trees and they know that. Fact remains Living in America is still better than living in Naija maybe with a very few exceptions. You can go read dat in my earlier post since you got lotta time to be editing posts.

Congrats on my 2 UK visits!!! It's actually 4 tho and I currently have a 5 year visit visa which isn't expiring anytime soon. Don't have a reason yet to visit Yankee anyway, i could put that in my to-do-list later during the year.

Dunno why a part of me believes you marrried that American just to secure your PR. "All na Hustle"

*my opinion.

Encourage your brothers and sisters and don't picture living abroad as HELL.

After reading your various posts on this wonderful thread, I can deduce that your Mugu self ain't Smart after all.

6 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by maternal: 5:42pm On Apr 26, 2016
ayodele234:

I don't even know where to start. You're really showing your age. To begin with, it's not where your kids are raised, it's how they are raised. Secondly I've never said or acted like I was better than anyone. Jwill was excited about his trip to America and was telling about the possibilities here. You and the individual brought your bad vibe into this thread claiming how everybody abroad is suffering. While a good amount are, I was just saying if one plans their life properly here and stays away from debt, they'll do very well and live a stress free life. Furthermore, everyone's definition of wealth differs, and just because you and the individual from Atlanta did not make it abroad, it doesn't mean your experience will be the next persons. Seriously, what don't you understand ?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by maternal: 5:44pm On Apr 26, 2016
TWoods:

Well said. Why would any sane parent subject their child to such an environment if they don't have too. Risking their kids lives just to prove a point ?

6 Likes

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by akanniade10(m): 5:55pm On Apr 26, 2016
I wonder

maternal:

No vex, but you're a walking contradiction. It's actually become comical and insulting to those trying to leave naija. I won't even get into. But all I want to say is that despite you claiming to be a wise/business individual, why can't you see the business moves your parents did for you ? You think borning you in America was a coincidence ? You think you "deciding" to comeback to America after college was a coincidence too ? My friend even the naija you're hailing your parents knew was crap and planned your easy escape. If you didn't have that yankee passport you'd be back in naija struggling, looking for a way t come abroad. Lets please all respect ourselves abeg, and not discourage those praying to be in your situation.

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by maternal: 6:00pm On Apr 26, 2016
ayodele234:

My brother the Nigerian problem is known to all, I just got tired of people painting America like some paradise. You will visit one day and see for yourself. People struggle real hard here, forget those pictures on social media. Na only here you go see banker close for work and enter second job. Which kind yeye be that na? A single bank job in Nigeria can sustain a family in Nigeria. RN are not even rich like they make it look like, they are just there paying the bills

Bros, which kind of people do you hang around ? Seriously ? I'm in Canada and always thought Canada and America's system are the same. Do people in the US typically live way above their means ? A banker here does not work 2 jobs. Believe me, my senior brother is one and lives a very comfortable life. He'd laugh hearing such a thing. RN don't make money? LOL. Now I know you're lying. RN's are such in high demand here, that if you're one, you'll be turning down jobs constantly. You start at 75k and move up to 100k easily. Add experience and overtime, RN's make a lot of money. Listen if your friends aren't successful abroad or cannot budget their money wisely, it's nobody's fault. But don't come here talking nonsense. You're actually embarrassing yourself.

http://www.fortmcmurrayonline.com/jobs/job69167/registered.nurse.%e2%80%93.high.level.job.aspx

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by maternal: 6:02pm On Apr 26, 2016
NewSheriff:
@bolded lol yea. No one can predict the future but there are pointers one must watch out for.

Hmmm interesting... It seems menial jobs there pay the equivalent of the biggest jobs here. grin grin

Where are you located ?
Re: I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! by Etinosajay(m): 6:04pm On Apr 26, 2016
grin

Here be quiet since.

Una don wake up.

Everybody good morning o

smiley

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (38) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 / Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou / Poland Work Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.