Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,895 members, 7,806,618 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 (6024 Views)

DON'T JOIN Chapter 1:NOVELLA - PAGE-1 COMIC / The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) / The Game He Lost (A Novel). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by Voyager: 4:21am On Aug 18, 2009
Hello Oluti,

This is Myne White posting under another handle - for some reason, I am no longer allowed to post under my own handle. Thanks for your comments - they are very much appreciated.

I'm sorry I did not see your earlier thread asking for my e-mail. My email is mulan.mine at gmail.com. Please, I would like to receive the style writer comments. As for the rest of your review comments, going forward, I will take them on board and make the necessary revisions.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 7:37pm On Aug 19, 2009
"Forgive the pun but I think things have come to a head," Ed muttered running a hand through his hair. His jacket was on the far chair and his tie had been jerked free from the collar with several buttons undone. His erection was still throbbing.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 5:39pm On Aug 20, 2009
"What do you mean? Gladys asked incredulously.

He turned his back to her and continued recklessly, "You titillate and tease me but only as far as YOU want and then you leave me hanging, frustrated and wanting you the more. If that isn't a tactic, I don't know what is!"

Gladys cried all the way home even after assuring Bonny that everything was alright. He kept glancing at her through the rearview mirror and murmuring "Madam sorry, e don do. E don do now." For her no tears would ever be enough, at least not as far as she could see. What she had thought were a solid foundation had just proved to be only castles in the air. Her first major relationship had just crashed down around her ears. Eddy had not even bothered to explain himself or follow her to the car. Their romance had come to the end of the road.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by ravenzord(m): 6:19pm On Aug 20, 2009
I like where dis is goin,although I see U've still got a lot of adverbs in ur description.All in all a good one,big ups. Hope dis isn't d end of d road 4 d book grin.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 6:24pm On Aug 20, 2009
No this is not the end of the road for the book grin

Thanks for reading, and the comment on adverbs. I only recently got feedback on that from another source so I'm going to start working on it going forward. I am also revising the previous parts.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 5:03pm On Aug 21, 2009
"Gladys, aren't you going to work again today?"

"No auntie," she replied as her aunt entered the room. It was early afternoon on the Wednesday after their major quarrel.

"Why not? Aren't you feeling fine?" The older woman asked with a concerned frown.

"I'm OK, I just don't feel like going to the office." Gladys said listlessly sitting up in bed.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 5:28pm On Aug 22, 2009
"He's here Gladys hurry up" her aunt called.

"OK auntie," Gladys called back peeping out of the window. She couldn't see his car. "His car is not outside auntie," she informed her aunt coming down the stairs.

"I know but he's waiting outside the gate," her aunt replied.

"But why would he do that?" Gladys queried walking down the stairs.

"I don't know," her aunt said becoming busy with what was on the television.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by bashybabe(f): 4:53am On Aug 23, 2009
ur story is interesting keep it up but u knw lagos smiley
if u no quick do original copy den go steal am naija people in search 4 fast cash lipsrsealed
wen r u writing d part 3
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 5:51pm On Aug 24, 2009
your story is interesting keep it up but u knw lagos Smiley
if u no quick do original copy den go steal am naija people in search 4 fast cash Lips sealed
wen r u writing d part 3

The part three is coming soon. Thanks for reading.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 5:53pm On Aug 24, 2009
Gladys was dancing with Edward at their wedding reception to the slow beat of Tuface’s “African Queen”. The music changed and Edward whispered another risqué comment to her. She laughed out loud but then she caught someone staring at her. A middle-aged woman she had not noticed earlier stood near a table with a displeased expression on her face. Edward swung her around as Sunny Neji’s “Oruka” continued to play and she felt him grow rigid in her arms. She looked up at his face and saw his eyes narrow and his mouth tighten. The sparkle of joy left his eyes and slowly, all expression was wiped from his face.

"Edward, what is it? She asked in a low voice.

His reply was brusque. "My foster parents are here."
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by ravenzord(m): 6:17pm On Aug 25, 2009
Hmm. . .wedding already? Dese guys re moving fast O,ok it's like some months since dey've met,so I guess it's allowed,what's d situation with d foster parents? Why did dey come 2 d wedding if they knew they were gon' look displeased? Gimme gist abeg grin
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 12:17am On Aug 26, 2009
Stay tuned. smiley smiley
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 9:32pm On Aug 26, 2009
The festivities were almost over and they were waiting for the car that would take them home to change and on to the airport. Having said goodbye to everyone inside, it was only Ola that stood with them. She was still excited for having caught the bouquet and was looking forward to getting Gladys into her getaway dress. Edward was tugging off his tie when they were surprised by a loud female voice behind them saying, "So it is you. Didn’t you see us?"

A thick-set man came up and stood beside them. "Edward Bestman eh? Congratulations.”

No one said anything for a moment as the atmosphere congealed.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 5:16pm On Aug 27, 2009
"Well here I am and I don’t have time to reminisce. Are you here to apologize to me?” Edward wasn’t going to let it go. These people had almost derailed his life. If not for the DPO’s kindness, he would be rotting in one of Kano’s poky jails. Bile rose in his throat but he felt Gladys pressing on his arm again and took a deep breath. He thought he had put that part of his life behind him. But what a small world it really was.

"Pah! Apologize for what? You lived off us for a couple of years, caused my wife mental distress and stole from me. Did you tell your new wife all of this?”
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by Nobody: 5:30pm On Aug 27, 2009
Just saw this now, all I can say is good work Myne, I'm enjoying your story, keep up the good work wink
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by sugabelle: 3:41am On Aug 28, 2009
MyneWhite, I like where this is going - I just hope the Okrikas get what's coming to them! Edward sounds really cool grin: ". . . My honeymoon awaits. . ." cheesy
There's so much you can do with this story; Edward's past, Gladys' trust, and the Okrikas' greed - I'm sure you'll do it justice wink!
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 3:06pm On Aug 28, 2009
@IBkaye, thanks for the comments

@Sugabelle, You're on the mark. The next instalment is coming soon
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 7:02pm On Aug 29, 2009
It had been a long flight back with a long layover in Paris and bad traffic on the way back from the Airport. Once they had put away most of the luggage, Gladys collapsed on the settee.

"Have you said that you love me today?”

"How can you ask that? Edward queried, "After all I did at the hotel this morning to show you," he looked at her suggestively and waggled his eyebrows.

She giggled and threw her stuffed panda at his head.

"Come over here," he said patting the seat next to him.

Gladys moved over and he lifted her into his lap and whispered something saucy in her ear.

She pushed him off, "Now that would be an idea,” she teased. As they fell over each other in laughter, Edward’s phone rang.

"Who knows we’re back?” Gladys mused as her husband went to answer it. As the conversation continued, her mind began to wander. She had some calls to make too.

"What! You can’t be serious!” As he listened further, his eyes narrowed into slits and all smile disappeared from his lips, classic signs of his quick temper.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by pinkylady1(f): 1:09pm On Sep 01, 2009
really love dis.

plz continue cos i cant wait to read the rest of the story
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 7:44pm On Sep 01, 2009
“Edward, what is it?” Gladys asked as she moved closer to him.

"Damn!" He swore viciously. "Why wasn’t I alerted before now?”

"Darling, please calm down." Gladys said stroking his back.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 1:34am On Sep 03, 2009
pink lady, thank you very much.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 4:18am On Sep 04, 2009
Barging into his office, Edward went straight into the boardroom. He pressed the buzzer, closed his eyes and leaned back in the swivel chair. He breathed in deeply and then let it out slowly. Those that played with the tail of the tiger had only themselves to blame if they ended in its belly. There was no playing with kid gloves, all bets were off.
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by dumodust(m): 11:20am On Sep 04, 2009
@oluti. where did you get that stylewriter?
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by Oluti(m): 1:14am On Sep 05, 2009
My brother, you can download the software from their site but there is a snag, it cost a a couple of hundred bucks if you can afford that. You can join Rapidshare where you  get to download the software and many others for just 1900 Naira per month. They have a Nigerian agent.  rs81tech.com
Best regards.

P.S. Send me an e-mail at ajibola_olutisr@operamail.com if you encounter any problem
Underscore between ajibola and oluti
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 2:39am On Sep 09, 2009
@Oluti, thanks for the info
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 9:56pm On Sep 09, 2009
“This honeymoon must have cost you guys a lot of money.”

“You can say that again,” Gladys laughed. She had just finished speaking with her mother and was being grilled by Udoka, her brother whom she hadn’t spoken with in the intervening month. He was a travel junkie and wanted to know every detail of their trip abroad. “The American bit especially, the hotels were so high priced and we were just using the Holiday Inn Chain.”

“Isn’t that supposed to be expensive?”

“Not really, they are affordable. Edward had his standard or I would’ve booked motels.”
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 9:02pm On Sep 10, 2009
“Hey…Iyawo! You’re back? How was your flight?” Are you home now?”

“Slow your roll girl,” Gladys could feel the excitement chasing away her worry instantly.

“All right, but will you give me story please,”

“The flight was long but fine and I am back home now, satisfied?”

“In your dreams, abeg let’s have all the details since the last time. How was Barbados?”
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 4:25pm On Sep 11, 2009
It was difficult not to gush, “Honestly, that was magic. We had such a wonderful stay, it is hard to express. We arrived a little tired and the bus ride to the resort was a tad long, but the scenery was so beautiful and our driver so informative that the time went by quickly. From the time we got off the bus the first day to getting back on the bus the last day life was super relaxing.”
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 9:29pm On Sep 13, 2009
“Anyway, this resort just kept getting better. We were mostly lucky with the weather, especially on days we booked countryside tours. Otherwise we stayed indoors or used the cool swimming pools. The food was great, not that I liked everything they served, but there was a variety to choose from. Some of them I had never seen or tasted before. The drinks were all novelties. I mostly stuck to Pina-Colada; Edward tried one called Bob Marley and almost got drunk.”
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 6:31am On Sep 17, 2009
Edward stood up, “Benibo please join me in my office.”

He was pacing when the lawyer came in and closed the door softly. “Talk to me.”

"I visited the stockbroker that handled the sale of Gladys’s stock and he told me that he had gotten instructions from her to that effect. I saw the mandate myself. Those forms are not very all-inclusive but it was definitely her signature. She instructed them to sell the Bestman Group PLC stock at the highest price. They did exactly that and transferred the payment to her account. The officer was very cooperative; they’re the same brokers for Kanayo your friend.”

Edward knew that already. He had taken her there himself when she wanted to purchase some shares and begin trading in the stock market. His stock gift was shifted to the same brokers because he wanted to fully show there were no strings attached.

"And you're quite sure that the mandate form is authentic?” He hated asking but had to.

"I would think so; there’s nothing out of the ordinary. I have a copy of it here.” He passed a piece of paper to Edward from a file on the table.

While Edward looked through it, he continued. “The stockbroker’s office said it had been with them for over a month till the offer came to them last week and they made the sale."

Edward released a heavy breath; he didn’t know what to think. The copy in his hands was dated a week before they left. And then she had gone ahead to jet off with him on that fantasy vacation around the world. What reason could have made Gladys sell the shares without telling him? It was so unlike her; a major issue they agreed on even before they traveled was to not keep secrets from each other.

“As a lawyer, do you think this could have been forged?”

“I will be difficult to prove, it is certainly her signature. I saw the original, nothing seemed tampered with. You know her writing better than I do, what do you think?”

“She doesn’t usually capitalize like in the company name, but everything else fits.”

“Maybe you need to see this too.”

Edward studied another piece of paper. It was email exchanged between Gladys and the brokerage account officer. One printout detailed the sharp upward swing of the share price of Bestman holdings among other market news with a request to sell to which she had replied yes and thanks. The other asked after her travels and received a fuller reply.

“The officer used that to buttress why they had gone ahead with the sale, she knew about it. Again, I imagined if someone else schemed to have the shares sold, why would the money be transferred into her account? How many people would know that number?”

“You’re sure the money went into her account?”

“Yes, and is still there. I pulled some strings and got a bank printout of balances that included hers with a mini transaction statement.”

Edward extended his hand and accepted the new sheets of paper stapled together. A patch further down on the second page was highlighted and he saw the deposit of millions of naira on the said date. Unexpectedly, there were also a couple of withdrawals since then.

“Do you know who these withdrawals went to?” Benibo shook his head. They remained silent for a few minutes before Edward spoke again. “You warned me.”

The lawyer had used all sorts of legalese to convince him not to transfer those shares to Gladys but he hadn’t listened. He forged ahead regardless.

“Yes I did, not that it matters now. We can do this even without those shares.”

Edward pulled himself together and folded the papers in his hands into his jeans pocket. He would call Gladys but only to tell her not to expect him yet. For now he needed to find a way to secure his business.

“This is not easy for me to say but you guys did a thorough job. Thanks.” They shook hands and then Edward asked to be left alone. “I’ll join you shortly.”
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 4:30pm On Sep 17, 2009
Edward stood up, “Benibo please join me in my office.”

He was pacing when the lawyer came in and closed the door softly. “Talk to me.”
Re: End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 by MyneWhite1(f): 12:47am On Sep 19, 2009
Edward studied another piece of paper. It was email exchanged between Gladys and the brokerage account officer. One printout detailed the sharp upward swing of the share price of Bestman holdings among other market news with a request to sell to which she had replied yes and thanks. The other asked after her travels and received a fuller reply.

“The officer used that to buttress why they had gone ahead with the sale, she knew about it. Again, I imagined if someone else schemed to have the shares sold, why would the money be transferred into her account? How many people would know that number?”

“You’re sure the money went into her account?”

“Yes, and is still there. I pulled some strings and got a bank printout of balances that included hers with a mini transaction statement.”

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

R.I.P Psalmwise / Guilty Pleasures / A Cry For Love - A Romance Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.